Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Rename it back to Games.

Other than what AceOfBlue already covered that my only thoughts are to merge blizzard subforum back and put WoW with the rest of the MMOs since their activity is on par with the other megathreads now.
And on the thought of posting a small thread just for a single small topic :justpost: let it live or die on its merits. Putting it in another subforum will make them be ignored even harder than they would be otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Call it DOTA 3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rexicon1 posted:

Call it DOTA 3

the spookiest halloween name of all

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Ohtsam posted:

And on the thought of posting a small thread just for a single small topic :justpost: let it live or die on its merits. Putting it in another subforum will make them be ignored even harder than they would be otherwise.

This is my thought on it too, we aren't going to run out of threads so if you want to post a thread go for it. If it dies it dies.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm fine with Games the way it is, Megathreads and all. The only request I had, a Megathread Thread Index, was already brought up by Arsenic Lupin, and it looks like ShallNoiseUpon will be taking care of that, so ta-da!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been thinking since this popped up yesterday and honestly haven't really come up with anything to fix, it's a good place in general. So I guess you better not try and change anything :argh:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Kheldarn posted:

I'm fine with Games the way it is, Megathreads and all. The only request I had, a Megathread Thread Index, was already brought up by Arsenic Lupin, and it looks like ShallNoiseUpon will be taking care of that, so ta-da!

mailing a games yellowbook with the threadid of every games thread to every poster, at my own personal cost

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rename it Bideo James please

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

+1 to wanting the subforums back to their original names. Renaming bounced when it was done to the Steam/General megathread and I think this need to usher in new subforum names just because we got new mods is kinda' lame. Ultimately it doesn't really matter tho, I'd rate this feedback's urgency/importance level as "fart in the wind" and if there's an event that justifies a temporary renaming (remember when the Blizzard subforums got renamed to Free Hong Kong? that was a good one) sure, whatever.

Megathreads are cool & good in Games and fit the topics that tend to be posted a lot in here. Reboots do happen on occasion but generally only make sense if the megathread itself requests them. There's no need or use in going back to read the entirety of the Steam thread, for example, a user who just wants to lurk or post about what the latest thing to hit Steam should :justpost: in the thread because it's more of a "what's going on in Steam and in PC gaming right now" thread anyway.

e.: Games feels like it's a forum that's largely fine in the way it's structured and tinkering with it seems counterproductive to me. Find ways to bring cool new things in without disrupting the old, and just focus on content moderation so it feels like a fine place to post in general.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 20, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The new subforum name wasn't due to new mods. It's an October thing--renaming subforums to spooky names for the Halloween season. Take a look at the forum index and you'll see a bunch of them. And what's spookier than DOTA?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Oh cool, nevermind then, I saw the renaming as an extension to the Steam Thread renaming thing, didn't realize it was a forums-wide Halloween thing. Consider the feedback on that resolved.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's DOTA because what could possibly be scarier

E: dammit cheetah

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

should have been "game over"

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

should have been "game over"

i would have chose this except it's never happened to me, so i don't see it as that scary

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The new subforum name wasn't due to new mods. It's an October thing--renaming subforums to spooky names for the Halloween season. Take a look at the forum index and you'll see a bunch of them. And what's spookier than DOTA?

Regy Rusty posted:

It's DOTA because what could possibly be scarier

E: dammit cheetah

Anything? DOTA's dumb, not spooky.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dota happened to you ??

May 8, 2006

oddium posted:

dota happened to you ??

for almost 800 hours :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

some other scary things:

low battery warning
the eu4 war dec noise against you
gamestop slashing unsold game discs

May 8, 2006

the arch vile sound effects

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Checkpoint with no ammo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bendyman's Shrubs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

"the atari et pit"

May 8, 2006

unskippable cutscene before a hard boss fight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Games Canceled

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

No .exe included

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Celeste 3C Hard Mode

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Keep it as Dota or Dota related puns and sticky the dota and pro dota threads. otherwise no changes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
No. No fun allowed.

I'll never forgive Halloween for killing off Julebukking, a costumed race against time to get candies before frostbite and pneumonia. It was the Dark Souls of Halloweens.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Mostly a lurker here too so feel free to disregard this. I like the megathreads, but what I don't see much of is people discussing more topical things that aren't necessarily related to a single game or platform. Maybe they do get discussed in some fast-moving megathread, or they get crowded out, don't know.

I read the other day that the new 2K basketball game got patched to add unskippable adverts one month after release and after reviews were out. I don't know if there's actually a thread for that game, but it seems like that's an issue way beyond the scope of one game or platform's megathread. Or another example: in the Free Games thread there was a little tangent about the guy's prototype being published by Sega without his knowledge, but that thread isn't a great place to weigh in on that and I'd be hesitant to pollute it.

I'm guessing there would be interest in this stuff because those kind of stories seem to attract the most discussion on other sites. No idea what the solution would be though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

JammyB posted:

Mostly a lurker here too so feel free to disregard this. I like the megathreads, but what I don't see much of is people discussing more topical things that aren't necessarily related to a single game or platform. Maybe they do get discussed in some fast-moving megathread, or they get crowded out, don't know.

I read the other day that the new 2K basketball game got patched to add unskippable adverts one month after release and after reviews were out. I don't know if there's actually a thread for that game, but it seems like that's an issue way beyond the scope of one game or platform's megathread. Or another example: in the Free Games thread there was a little tangent about the guy's prototype being published by Sega without his knowledge, but that thread isn't a great place to weigh in on that and I'd be hesitant to pollute it.

I'm guessing there would be interest in this stuff because those kind of stories seem to attract the most discussion on other sites. No idea what the solution would be though.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Monthly Chat Threads are the catch-all threads.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

JammyB posted:

I know it's not a great solution and we could probably do better but a lot of smaller news and stuff gets discussed in the Games Chat thread and if you ever want to stop by with interesting bits and bobs it's always more interesting than ranking Final Fantasies for the 4th time in a month. We've talked a lot about politics and labor in games and it's just kind of a free-flowing conversation about whatever happens to be interesting.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Reality Protester posted:

Keep it as Dota or Dota related puns and sticky the dota and pro dota threads. otherwise no changes.

I will do this when they bring back the side shops and get rid of jungle items.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Kheldarn posted:

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Monthly Chat Threads are the catch-all threads.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I know it's not a great solution and we could probably do better but a lot of smaller news and stuff gets discussed in the Games Chat thread and if you ever want to stop by with interesting bits and bobs it's always more interesting than ranking Final Fantasies for the 4th time in a month. We've talked a lot about politics and labor in games and it's just kind of a free-flowing conversation about whatever happens to be interesting.

Ah, cool that answers it then. I've rarely checked in those threads in the past so hadn't really got the hang of what was on topic there.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

JammyB posted:

Ah, cool that answers it then. I've rarely checked in those threads in the past so hadn't really got the hang of what was on topic there.

Please feel free to stop by any time!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Games as a forum are cool and good.

Games as a thing are also cool and good.

I generally like learning about games that I don’t know about but might like, so the mega threads that are genre based - the Management Games, the 4X Games, Survival Games, etc. - are great because it lets me know about new games, small games that no one would put a thread together on but we might get a page of posts, and people talk about genre trends and compare and contrast.

So I think things are fine now. A central list of “what games have threads and here are links” would be cool because I often don’t play games until they’re out of date and the thread has fallen to page 15 or so but wow that seems like it would be a lot of work both to do and to keep updated.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cheetah7071 posted:

And what's spookier than DOTA?

League of Legends. :v:

But yeah, I'll also jump on the "I like the megathread dynamic" with the caveat of "search sucks, I usually just Ctrl-F + name of game and go a few pages before giving up; megathread yellow pages would own and rule and SNU is a good poster/mod for doing it".

Also y'all put up with my Four Job Fiesta nonsense yearly and I will be forever grateful for it. Every year when the thread gets stickied and we raise a bunch of money for charity is a small bright spot in increasingly lovely years. :unsmith:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I prefer the megathread culture of games. Having one stupid thread to complain about final fantasy is better than having a dozen threads about each final fantasy that are all the same posters talking about the same things. Or a bunch of smaller ones that are more specific and die every couple of weeks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think it would be neat for october if the forum was called something spooky. like "boo mario from galaxy" or something. you don't have to include the galaxy part that was to clarify

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is the only place on the internet I can stand to talk about games still so thank you for your service

I dunno what it is but like, Reddit, gaf/era whatever within 10 minutes I'm just like this is dumb. You're all dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oddium posted:

i think it would be neat for october if the forum was called something spooky. like "boo mario from galaxy" or something. you don't have to include the galaxy part that was to clarify

Also the subforum disappears if you look directly at it