Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's cool he got paid 100k to report it.

Almost 300K at last count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

tuyop posted:

So it's like this for Microsoft and Google and stuff as well or what? Just point a hacker at them and they'll find a few dozen pages of vulnerabilities?

Yeah, everyone has bug bounty programs.
Google. https://www.google.com/about/appsecurity/reward-program/
Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/msrc/bounty
Amazon. https://hackerone.com/amazonvrp?type=team
Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/whitehat

Apple was late to the show and has a bad history with the security research industry but they’ve been trying to turn it around. It was a big deal when Apple presented at DefCon in 2012. https://www.cultofmac.com/180529/ap...-this-thursday/

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Searched a couple of pages back, and done a bit of googling. I need a way to stream music from my NAS to my imac, preferably using UPNP. VLC seems to have some issues with browsing big UPNP shares, what are my other options?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Searched a couple of pages back, and done a bit of googling. I need a way to stream music from my NAS to my imac, preferably using UPNP. VLC seems to have some issues with browsing big UPNP shares, what are my other options?

Any dlna client will throw a hiss fit when dealing with more than a couple hundred files over a dlna folder, qnap nas will let you browse the media folders one by one rather than a single big repository but i guess other brands let you do the same.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Why UPNP? Hosting your music library as a share and mounting it on the Mac is gonna be way easier.
(Do any NAS offer iTunes Home Sharing?)

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I always found upnp/dlna stuff super janky, never found any nice clients.

I recently moved to plex for my music library and it works pretty nice. there are a few different clients for heaps of platforms. Plexamp is a minimal one for macOS. Bulk metadata editing in the interface is still way clunkier than a native app, even iTunes, but I get by

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

You guys are right, I was just being lazy in setting up shares. So assuming I have everything on a network share (which unfortunately can’t run Plex server), what’s my best option? I tried Quod Libet and it seems OK, if a little unpolished.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know Facebook sucks as a whole, but jeez this new gradient they've added to the Messenger app is so gross. No ability to turn it off either. Let's hope they're A/Bing it and it'll go away with the next update.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know Facebook sucks as a whole, but jeez this new gradient they've added to the Messenger app is so gross. No ability to turn it off either. Let's hope they're A/Bing it and it'll go away with the next update.

You can turn it off

'Change Theme', scroll down to solid colours

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is it the case for anybody else that if you send a URL in iMessage (/Messages), it will appear in the preview pane under the chat partner, but it never actually appears in the conversation itself?

Trying to share links with my elderly parents and having to explain to them that this appears to be an incomprehensible bug is all kinds of WTF

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

You can turn it off

'Change Theme', scroll down to solid colours

I did this yesterday but it’s a per-chat option lol. So now one of my chats has a Halloween theme which is somehow less awful.

And today the same hideousness just showed up on my phone. The gently caress are they thinking.

e: it's reverted today on the Mac app for me, I'm guessing nobody liked it ha.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 16, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A while back I asked about how to stop the music app from auto launching when connecting to my bluetooth receiver. It was driving me nuts - before the last update I was able to remove it after disabling SIP, but now the icon still pops up on the dock (clicking on it does nothing of course)

well I finally found something that works!

https://github.com/tombonez/noTunes

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
On Microsoft teams you’re supposed to be able to share a PowerPoint directly (not as a window) that lets participants scrub back and forth while you’re talking. It also lets you see the presenter notes and participant videos.

But that option doesn’t show up on teams on my Mac- does anyone know if it’s gated to windows?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey does anybody use iCloud Mail via the webmail portal? Long shot as I know nobody would do this who doesn't have to, but my daily driver is a work laptop and they forbid Mail.app.

Lately (like for the last ~2 months) it has just been absolutely unusable. Refreshing messages, you click the refresh button, nothing happens for up to a minute and then finally 10+ or however many new messages finally appear in the list. Then you click on one and you invariably (almost immediately) get this:

I have to keep dismissing dialogs and clicking back and forth between one message and the next five or six time before finally one will load and not error out.

I thought this might be a new Safari bug but it happens in Chrome too.

I have even seen these timeouts happening (less frequently though) on iOS Mail. So I feel like this is a systemic iCloud Mail problem. But of course their status page indicates full steam ahead, all green, no issues cap'n.

Anyone else having trouble like this? It seems ludicrous that it can be only me (and across multiple platforms), but it seems even more ludicrous that they can be having problems like this systemwide and nobody is talking about it ...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

On Microsoft teams you’re supposed to be able to share a PowerPoint directly (not as a window) that lets participants scrub back and forth while you’re talking. It also lets you see the presenter notes and participant videos.

But that option doesn’t show up on teams on my Mac- does anyone know if it’s gated to windows?

It's gated to having a recent office installed locally, no need for windows

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://mobile.twitter.com/patrickwardle/status/1318465421796782082

Certain Apple apps send data undectable by firewalls like little snitch

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Can’t wait to wake up and my mac has updated to the next version of macos and breaks everything because

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mojave ftw

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thinking of downgrading back to it just for that 32bit support.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Certain Apple apps send data undectable by firewalls like little snitch

Corporate IT's not going to like that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Hey does anybody use iCloud Mail via the webmail portal? Long shot as I know nobody would do this who doesn't have to, but my daily driver is a work laptop and they forbid Mail.app.

Lately (like for the last ~2 months) it has just been absolutely unusable. Refreshing messages, you click the refresh button, nothing happens for up to a minute and then finally 10+ or however many new messages finally appear in the list. Then you click on one and you invariably (almost immediately) get this:

I have to keep dismissing dialogs and clicking back and forth between one message and the next five or six time before finally one will load and not error out.

I thought this might be a new Safari bug but it happens in Chrome too.

I have even seen these timeouts happening (less frequently though) on iOS Mail. So I feel like this is a systemic iCloud Mail problem. But of course their status page indicates full steam ahead, all green, no issues cap'n.

Anyone else having trouble like this? It seems ludicrous that it can be only me (and across multiple platforms), but it seems even more ludicrous that they can be having problems like this systemwide and nobody is talking about it ...

Same thing's been happening to me on my PC (and work computer), and it's been driving me somewhat batty. Nothing seems to have helped other than just using my phone to check my email. I don't think I want to go back to Gmail over this just yet, but we'll see I guess. Probably should figure out how to submit a bug report on it though.

Ah hah! We can at least bug them: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks, I threw in my bug report. Good to know it's not just me at least.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

It's gated to having a recent office installed locally, no need for windows

Curious. I’ll have to investigate more.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I am looking for a video editing software to put together my vacation photos and videos into one file, anybody have suggestions?

Some things I would like:
1) easy to learn and use. I am not a filmmaker or anything it doesn't have to look polished
2) some level of control over editing, including stitching together videos/splitting a video into 2 separate scenes
3) add text to the video, that can move around as the video continues (for example follow my friend as he moves around)
4) can edit sound, including music (Fade in/out) or add narration

I am open to paying a small fee (ideally non-subscription) if needed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That sounds like a job for iMovie.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

American McGay posted:

That sounds like a job for iMovie.

Hmm I played around with it a little while but thought it was a little crude? For example I wasnt able to see (maybe I didnt look hard enough) how to add text, just "titles" which you cannot move around the text in the video (or even reposition), and you have to drag the time clip instead of being able to specifically type in the time(e.g. 1:05). Not to mention if you cannot overlap the titles and God forbid if you insert a new title and that one overlaps with the previous titles it will push back the time, making you retime everything again

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nervana posted:

I am looking for a video editing software to put together my vacation photos and videos into one file, anybody have suggestions?

Some things I would like:
1) easy to learn and use. I am not a filmmaker or anything it doesn't have to look polished
2) some level of control over editing, including stitching together videos/splitting a video into 2 separate scenes
3) add text to the video, that can move around as the video continues (for example follow my friend as he moves around)
4) can edit sound, including music (Fade in/out) or add narration

I am open to paying a small fee (ideally non-subscription) if needed

Check out Black Magic’s Da Vinci Resolve. Steeper learning curve than iMovie, a bit more intuitive than, say, Premiere. But it is free!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The 2015-ish MBP I've inherited from the wife has taken to turning off its screen and appearing to go to sleep when the screen angle is adjusted or occasionally just seemingly at random. The laptop becomes unresponsive and can only be revived by closing the lid almost all the way. Is this a known issue? Googling the terms is a bit of a mess.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That definitely sounds like a loose monitor cable inside the laptop. I'm not sure how hard that is to reconnect or replace in a mac. You should probably ask again in the mac hardware thread

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Loose monitor cable wouldn't cause it to go to sleep. I recall someone else having a similar issue in this thread and it was related to the magnet sensor that detects if the lid is closed going wonky. Not sure how they fixed it though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

tuyop posted:

Check out Black Magic’s Da Vinci Resolve. Steeper learning curve than iMovie, a bit more intuitive than, say, Premiere. But it is free!

Seconding resolve but I’ve also heard good things about HitFilm which is also free.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Can I install Windows on an external ssd or does it have to be on the same drive that macOS boots from?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Can I install Windows on an external ssd or does it have to be on the same drive that macOS boots from?
Debatably possible, afaik basically unsupported and might be a pain to do and may break, but I haven't looked into it in a while.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I’ve done it before, it was a few years ago and I think I had to do something weird to get windows 10 to boot but it worked really well.

https://medium.com/@transferx23/install-windows-10-on-an-external-hdd-or-ssd-with-boot-camp-under-macos-catalina-10-15-e0e315f2d48d

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I have been playing around with Catalina in a VM on my UnRaid server and things are humming along just fine. It's very nice to be able to use iMessage on my Desktop during the work day. One strange thing, which I THINK is a macOS issue and not because I'm in a VM, in iMessage when someone posts a GIF (could be from #images, not sure) they all come over as a ? in a box. If I do a quick-look or Open on it, it opens in preview although not animated so the graphic data is coming through.

Any thoughts? Googling wasn't very helpful as it has solutions for Emoji, but the Emoji are coming through just fine.

Thanks!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GIFs typically show without issue in Messages.app, although I don't know what "#images" refers to here.

My guess is that graphics acceleration may not be available in a VM and that might be required for Messages to show GIFs

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 27, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Last Chance posted:

GIFs typically show without issue in Messages.app, although I don't know what "#images" refers to here.

My guess is that graphics acceleration may not be available in a VM and that might be required for Messages to show GIFs

Ahhh that's a good thing to check. I'll look into that! Logical

#images is the app on iOS that people often search for images/gifs and paste them into the chat. I suspect that is where some of my friends are posting them from, although the source is likely irrelevant.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So, scrap that VM plan. I completely forgot that my wife has a 2012 iMac that I can use concurrently provided I VNC in using the built in Screen Sharing.

Problem is, I can't copy/paste to/from the iMac from Windows 10 using RealVNC VNC Viewer.

I tried setting up VNC Server and Splashtop on it, but it controls the whole PC and doesn't allow concurrent users (I remoting in the background and not disturbing her use at the keyboard/mouse). The C/P works just fine in those situations.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there something I'm missing here to enable clipboard sharing over VNC between Mac and Windows? Is there a better Windows client that will work? Seems like it's a macOS limitation, but I could be wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

So, scrap that VM plan. I completely forgot that my wife has a 2012 iMac that I can use concurrently provided I VNC in using the built in Screen Sharing.

Problem is, I can't copy/paste to/from the iMac from Windows 10 using RealVNC VNC Viewer.

I tried setting up VNC Server and Splashtop on it, but it controls the whole PC and doesn't allow concurrent users (I remoting in the background and not disturbing her use at the keyboard/mouse). The C/P works just fine in those situations.

Anyone have experience with this? Is there something I'm missing here to enable clipboard sharing over VNC between Mac and Windows? Is there a better Windows client that will work? Seems like it's a macOS limitation, but I could be wrong.

Jump Desktop will support shared clipboard including files.
MS Remote Desktop will support shared clipboard including files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Will both of those allow concurrent logins? So I can remote into the background while another user is on the desktop?