Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My already planned purchase got even easier yesterday when my company announced the money they give us for fitness related items every year is bumping up to $1,200 next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
New blacked-out SM8 60* wedge showed up today.

New Sim driver and 3W are supposed to show up tomorrow. Very excited.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Has there ever been a black iron/wedge that stays black? It seems like the finish coat tends to wear pretty quickly which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but if I buy a matte or colored club I’d probably want it to stay that way.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Has there ever been a black iron/wedge that stays black? It seems like the finish coat tends to wear pretty quickly which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but if I buy a matte or colored club I’d probably want it to stay that way.

I'd doubt it.

Here's always been my argument about club looks though. Yes, they look great in your bag but you then go and slam them into the ground at 100mph, that's what they're designed to do.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, they're designed/finished in a way that actually all but guarantees they're going to discolor/rust over time. Vokey put 3 stickers on the box/shaft of this club just reminding me that it will rust. It does take a while though as long as you clean them and don't leave them wet.

Here's my 1+ year old 56* SM6, for reference:

Basically no rust, but some of the black finish has worn off of the face and the sole.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've now learned that Golf Club: Simulator Edition is a thing and I've never wanted something more in my life. Give me a decent golf simulator setup with that game and I'll likely die in that room.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I have a tee time tomorrow morning at 10 AM, forecast says 34* and sunny. Please send happy thoughts and no wind!

Probably will be my last time out for the year though , sad time in MN.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I had a tournament today that was supposed to go off at 9:30 but we had a ~45 minute frost delay. The carts had half an inch of ice on the seats and bag covers when we were getting ready. Luckily it was sunny and calm and by noon the temp was about 50 so Under Armor and a polo was good enough.

We only shot -13 but it was just a fundraiser for the high school golf team so it was for a good cause. My game is awful right now though, I have a ton of swing thoughts going through my head with just about every club and it's not good. Probably a good thing the season is over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Haven't posted a scorecard in a while.

Positives in no particular order: The fairways and greens I missed were largely barely misses, and my chipping game has improved. Pace of the front 9 was spectacular and I made the turn in just over an hour. I walked 18 with no pain in the ankle at all (easily the biggest positive). I actually managed to get clean contact with the hybrid once or twice. Sand shots aren't too bad. Without a brutal 14 and 15 I would have been much happier with things. Only lost one ball!

Negatives: Oh god as soon as I turned (and joined up with a new member) the pace of play turned glacial. A group of 4 ahead of us with carts, playing every putt like there's thousands of dollars riding on it (and blaring music from a bluetooth speaker), and somehow never noticing the 6'6" 250 lb guy behind them. My putting is way off its game but at least I only had one 3-putt.

The jamokes ahead of us started some outing on #18, and I can understand taking a little extra time on your final green (a par 3 #17 with very elevated teebox) after everyone holes out, but then we get all of them talking and bullshitting, and even doing a few minutes of practice putts on the green as I'm standing back at the tee box. Hoooo boy was I getting tempted to fire a warning tee shot.

I need to get my clubs re-gripped something fierce, and I'm tempted to get fitted for some new sticks as well but my G15s are still swinging just fine for the most part, and with our first child due in late April, I doubt I'm getting much (any) time next season to play anyway.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
3 months playing golf report. Played the heritage 9 at my local yesterday, got my first eagle then my first birdie back to back. Hit every fairway off the tee but playing it safe left me in bad spots on some holes. I can’t do short chips so I finished 6 over par and well ahead of the two friends I was playing with so it was a good morning.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well it was a cold round today. 32 degrees when we teed off, and the sun went away after hole 6. And the wind picked up.

It was about a 2.5 club wind on the back nine.

Shot an 86, which all things considered wasn’t terrible, but just never felt warm or loose. I sick at swinging with like 6 layers on.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It might drop below the 90s in LA for the first time in I don't even know how long this week, so I feel you there...

My new SIM driver and 3w showed up over the weekend, so the bag is finally complete.

Also got some new lights for the studio, so I'm going to test all of this stuff out on my live stream right now...
http://www.twitch.tv/bcrocks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

those SIM woods look bizarre but I kinda dig 'em

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I hit them outside on a range yesterday and played 27 holes with them on the simulator today. Initial trip report is that the 3w is a laser beam and it's very easy to hit off the tee and off the ground, which is awesome. I was very comfortable with my old M1 off a tee, but not as much off the deck.

The driver feels real good too, but is going to take a bit longer to get used to simply because the face is incredibly shallow compared to every other driver I've used. I tend to tee the ball higher than average and really hit up on it, but with the face being so much smaller I'm finding more success teeing it considerably lower than I'm used to. I think overall this is going to help with consistency once I get used to how it sets up.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the 5 years I got out of the M1s and I'm hoping I can keep these in the bag for at least 3 years.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
first one on the course yesterday, 39F, played a pretty solo 18 in 2:10.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Petey posted:

While I love being able to golf year round in florida, you northern/western folk definitely have much nicer views than most of the courses down here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

Best golf in the world is solo winter golf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Petey posted:

This looks very familiar but I'm going to have to assume you're further north than me because the trees in Jersey aren't quite this pretty yet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Petey posted:

A: those views are beautiful

B: that pace of play is beautiful

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Man, cannot catch a break.

Tee time tomorrow for 7:30 at a course I've never played. I have a new driver I've had for a week, but last Tuesday, their range doesn't open before my round, so no range then either. Hit it off the tee about 12 times, good results, but I'd like to dial it in. Planned on a good 1/2 hour of range time before my round. Nope, they closed their range.

So, looked at a course on my way there. Yes, our range is open, we open it just before our first tee time, 8am.

I guess I'm going to gut out another round with no range time and fingers crossed. Managed a nice round last time, 8 over standing on the tee at 16, birdied that par 5 with a chip in from just off the green, birdied 17 with a chip in from just off the green, left my birdie putt 1 inch short on 18.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Custom ballmarkers are expensive. Instead, I’ve been buying cheap enamel pins on Etsy and cutting off the pins on the back. Here’s my new Ruby Rhod and Uncle Buck ballmarkers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For the longest time, I used stray range tokens from the UNC driving range as my ball makers. Then I switched to a 5 peso coin.

Now I use this:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Josh Lyman posted:

For the longest time, I used stray range tokens from the UNC driving range as my ball makers. Then I switched to a 5 peso coin.

Now I use this:

I keep a leather pouch in my bag filled with ballmarkers and just grab a random one for each round. That keeps it fresh.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Daric posted:

Custom ballmarkers are expensive. Instead, I’ve been buying cheap enamel pins on Etsy and cutting off the pins on the back. Here’s my new Ruby Rhod and Uncle Buck ballmarkers.

I feel like these types of markers would affect the ball more than a coin or normal round marker. Is that not the case?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have a unit coin from my last office and a shrunken Walking Liberty 50 cent piece. No way I'm going to run into someone using the same or a similar ball marker.

Found a picture from a year ago of the markers I use. The unit coin and the walking liberty (a smaller, shrunken version) are the only two I keep in use now.

As for the nice lacquered pins, they aren't any more in the way than those drat poker chip markers people use.

20190711_170952 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 20, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I haven't had anyone hit over one of my markers in the last 10-15 rounds I've played. Normally, if it's in the way, I'll mark it to the side of the ball rather than behind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if I mark on or near someone's line I'll just put the mark a club length off to the side then back afterwards.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

One of you fuckers "bought" me an API ball marker which is great because it's so distinctive to see on the ground with the umbrella that no one randomly picks it up thinking it's theirs.

It may have been Matt, he's the Florida guy.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Shrapnig posted:

This looks very familiar but I'm going to have to assume you're further north than me because the trees in Jersey aren't quite this pretty yet.

http://www.overlookgolfclub.com/ in NH. Highly recommended.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

One of you fuckers "bought" me an API ball marker which is great because it's so distinctive to see on the ground with the umbrella that no one randomly picks it up thinking it's theirs.

lol yeah that sounds like him

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Daric posted:

Didnt know id fall in love tonight. But the Ruby Rhod is....going to make me hit consistent 80's im sure of it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Looked back thru my emails. In April of 2018 you sent me some Nike RZN balls and I sent you some Vice neon balls and the marker lol

I think a couple other people got them too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Looked back thru my emails. In April of 2018 you sent me some Nike RZN balls and I sent you some Vice neon balls and the marker lol

I think a couple other people got them too.

I still have one orange duck dynasty ball from that set of like 6 you sent me years back :cheers:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

I still have one orange duck dynasty ball from that set of like 6 you sent me years back :cheers:

Holy poo poo I remember those lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Holy poo poo I remember those lol

One, maybe 2, got launched into the Dornoch Firth, another into the Moray Firth. I think most of the others were scattered to the bushes and cliffsides of the Scottish Highlands. They served honorably :patriot:

The last one lives on buried in the bottom of one of my bag pockets

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Got a lucky break today. I've got the first tee time, 7:30, go to the tee box at 7:20, two guys there already. I ask if they're the 730 time, they say yes. Another guy rolls up, he says he's also 730, I think great, we're set. First two guys say, "you should go ahead, we're a three ball," as another guy shows up and joins them. Starter comes up and says 10 minute delay for frost. First guy again says, "you guys go ahead, we're a three ball." I say, no, that's not how it works, because one, there's a frost delay, and two, you can't just bring an extra guy out. He clarifies: Oh, we're the 739 tee time. (So, he was offering to let the 730 tee time play ahead of the 739 time, generous). He also says, "we can go ahead, just keep the carts out of the fairway." No, the starter is literally 15 feet away, driving back to the clubhouse and just told us there was a delay. The second twosome of our 730 tee time shows up. The three ball with the 739 tee time tees off at 728, drives thru the fairway to their balls and we never see them again. I can only say I'm glad I wasn't booked with them, as I spent each hole fixing their ball marks, and I don't know if I could have played 18 with knuckleheads like that.

Deer Creek Golf in Littleton, Co. Great layout, nice design, I won't play it again. It got bought up to turn into a housing development, and then they couldn't get permission to add that many homes, so left it as a course. Sold the driving range. I think the maintenance guy is a 14 year old with two lawn mowers and a friend who drinks who helps him out. They clearly have put no money into either day to day maintenance or to upkeep. The bridges over the creek are scary on foot, and cannot be safe for carts. If it gets sold to a different company, it could be great.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus Tiger looks like rear end so far today.

edit: Then proceeds to sink a 55' putt for birdie...

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 22, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Looks like Tiger Tracker is done.

The account was actually several people at Golf Channel who pretended to be one person following Tiger all the time but it seems like they were casualties of the cuts at GC.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wanted to do this a number of times when my daughter was a few months old too, Rory.

https://twitter.com/RyanLavnerGC/status/1319423493344235520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I've got a course that's about twenty minutes away that's doing a 175 dollar deal for unlimited golf through the end of February. It's an...OK course, 9 hole par 36. Normal price is 16 dollars for 9, or 26 for 18. I think it would be a good place to keep myself sharp over the winter months for not too much money. What do you guys think?