Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

pzy posted:

Feel bad for me etc

won't feel bad when static from cat's fur zaps a data pin on that connector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Don't worry, he's very grounded

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spunkshui posted:

Welp.

Did not see that coming.

Ill take off the tinfoil hat.

It’s probably just a coincidence, doubt anyone really set out for an 11 day cycle, you’re right. But it’s standard practice to rotate megathreads, the reddit format doesn’t work well for ongoing discussions, you just end up with a couple upvoted posts at the top and all the new comments get stuck at 1 vote with nobody ever seeing them or responding to them.

Web forums are so Web 1.0 but they do work well for ongoing discussion, they don’t promote a couple early comments heavily and then die like the reddit format tends to do.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 21, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

It’s probably just a coincidence, doubt anyone really set out for an 11 day cycle, you’re right. But it’s standard practice to rotate megathreads, the reddit format doesn’t work well for ongoing discussions, you just end up with a couple upvoted posts at the top and all the new comments get stuck at 1 vote with nobody ever seeing them or responding to them.

these threads default sort by new

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I wonder if being on the 3080 8nm die is going to be objectively worse from a power consumption and performance perspective compared to the 7nm TSMC dies next year... The early adopter tax is real. It's gonna suck looking at my electrical bill in a few months.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there won't be a material impact on your bill, a TSMC 7nm respin would just mean getting a faster card at a lower TDP

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

It's gonna suck looking at my electrical bill in a few months.

assuming you game at 350W vs. 275W for some new respin, and you are gaming literally 24/7, and you pay an insane 15c/kWh, it will cost you $8.10 per month in excess usage

you're jumping the shark here boys

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

How easy it is to cool and how much heat it dumps in your case is a much bigger deal than the power bill.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

weren't turing cards pretty hard to come by this year? nvidia going "gee whiz, who'd thunk so many people wanted Ampere cards" is pretty dumb even if you accept their assertion that supply isn't any worse than the Turing launch.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

shrike82 posted:

weren't turing cards pretty hard to come by this year? nvidia going "gee whiz, who'd thunk so many people wanted Ampere cards" is pretty dumb even if you accept their assertion that supply isn't any worse than the Turing launch.

I don't think they're surprised at all. More like there's nothing they can really do to scale production. TSMC is booked, intel isn't going to sell to them. They can make what Samsung can produce.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hackan Slash posted:

Sure there's a large demand, but all indications are that there's no supply.

The biggest tell is that that EU store that posted they'd received 7%? of the 3080's ordered across all suppliers.

Anecdotally, the three Microcenters in the small hamlet of NYC got thirteen 3080's combined on launch day.

It's worth pointing out that the proshop.de counter is showing that they have ordered 10987 3080s+3090s, have 4049 customer orders in hand, and have received or are expecting 1001 units so far. I guarantee you those number far surpass all three metrics for the 2080+2080 Ti, which would match what the board partners have been repeatedly saying.

Its a low supply, insane demand situation. Hope you are ready to get up early for that Zen3 order, folks. :twisted:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

intel isn't going to sell to them

intel doesn't even have a yielding modern node

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The thing is that Nvidia seems to have some preferred partners that are getting a ton of the stock, and they themselves have sold quite a few. It's not like the inventory is getting spread equally. Therefore it seems pretty sus to start trying to extrapolate stock from smaller retails.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol proshop isn't a small retail

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

They're not a preferred vendor, smaller is a relative term. It has no bearing on my point regardless, which is that most stock is clearly flowing from a very small number of preferred outlets and so extrapolation outside of those outlets is not likely to be accurate.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Pivo posted:

intel doesn't even have a yielding modern node

10 superfin looks pretty good actually, although yields probably still aren't great. 14++++÷/ is long overdue for replacement and definitely isn't as good as tsmc 7nm but it's serviceable if you don't have a choice.

But they don't have enough capacity for their own products.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So my employer gave me a 100 dollar giftcard just for "you time". Which games should I buy to really enjoy the 3080?
I got Control, Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding sitting in the cart. I played a bit of Control on my friends' 1080ti last year and got bored midway through but I'm thinking of giving it a second look.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

So my employer gave me a 100 dollar giftcard just for "you time". Which games should I buy to really enjoy the 3080?
I got Control, Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding sitting in the cart. I played a bit of Control on my friends' 1080ti last year and got bored midway through but I'm thinking of giving it a second look.
Hellblade's great but probably ran ok on older GPUs, too.

Gears Tactics and Resident Evil 3 don't look half bad. I wouldn't bother with AA for RE3 and just increase render scale until there's no visible aliasing.

MS Flight Sim is beautiful but very CPU bottlenecked with only DX11.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Taima posted:

They're not a preferred vendor, smaller is a relative term. It has no bearing on my point regardless, which is that most stock is clearly flowing from a very small number of preferred outlets and so extrapolation outside of those outlets is not likely to be accurate.

Who are their preferred vendors, anyway? From the outside looking in it just seems like stock instantly vanishes everywhere regardless.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

Doom Eternal

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ufarn posted:

MS Flight Sim is beautiful but very CPU bottlenecked with only DX11.

This is underselling the point. I had a 1060 6gb. I went from unplayable @ 1080 on an i5-6500 to low/medium @ 1440 on an i7-10700.

It’s an incredibly CPU intensive game.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sean10mm posted:

Who are their preferred vendors, anyway? From the outside looking in it just seems like stock instantly vanishes everywhere regardless.

BestBuy, apparently. What a strange world 2020 is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kraftwerk posted:

Minecraft and Quake II.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Rolo posted:

Tons of people online have said their coil whine went away eventually on previous cards.

Can anyone here vouch for that? Anyone with a 3080 FE fix it without RMA?

My 970s whined with one power supply but not with another. Was a nice surprise after my first PSU blew up. It's a combination thing so it's possible to address with a new power supply if you don't want to RMA.

Dilber posted:

My 3090 FE had coil whine with my OC, and then I swapped the PSU out for a titanium one and it went away. (I did confirm coil whine was GPU and not PSU with a mic).

I got lucky i guess

Yeah, this.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The 3080 I got from Best Buy last week was supposed to show up today. Was sitting by the window all evening waiting for the package and UPS marked it as delivered.

Never saw a vehicle or driver pull up and there wasn’t any foot prints in the snow. Contacted Best Buy and they don’t have any replacements to send me. Guess UPS messed up or lost it somehow?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well if I decided to start throwing money at the problem, what psu is the go to? I’m on an RM750x.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm a Seasonic loyalist, personally, specifically the Primes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have an HX750i which is relatively modern, rated Platinum, reviewed extremely well and cost a boatload of money and I get coil whine with the 3080.

If it is related to the PSU, it's probably not going to be determined by brand name or rating or cost but a specific property of the design of specific models ...

It's also a pretty bad time to buy a PSU right now.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cygni posted:

I'm a Seasonic loyalist, personally, specifically the Primes.

If you don't need sfx, I'll second this. I don't think I've ever seen a seasonic unit tested that wasn't somewhere between very good and excellent.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Harry Privates posted:

The 3080 I got from Best Buy last week was supposed to show up today. Was sitting by the window all evening waiting for the package and UPS marked it as delivered.

Never saw a vehicle or driver pull up and there wasn’t any foot prints in the snow. Contacted Best Buy and they don’t have any replacements to send me. Guess UPS messed up or lost it somehow?

Seems common these days that a driver will mark a package as delivered even though they didn't actually deliver it. I assume they are doing it to boost their numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if performance evals & pay are based on metrics like that for drivers hence the incentive.

I wouldn't worry too much yet, it will likely show up tomorrow.

It used to be just lovely Ontrac that pulled this poo poo, but I've had it happen with FedEx and UPS as well. If my assumptions are correct, surely there has to be a better system for this than one that degrades the experience for a customer...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's looking like I'm going to have to RMA my card I got yesterday, I wonder if they actually have any extra cards for this or not :v:.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rolo posted:

Well if I decided to start throwing money at the problem, what psu is the go to? I’m on an RM750x.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Titanium-Warranty-220-T2-0850-X1/dp/B018JYHGOQ

Thats what I did to replace my 650watt when PSUs were impossible to find and I wanted my PSU by the time the 3080 gpus launched a month ago. :frogdunce:

Apparently it was a 650 bronze PSU I replaced. It had no problems running an i7 920 with a 50% overlock on it for like 5-6 years.

Your PSU is more then fine, but if money is no option titanium PSUs are the "best."

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

fletcher posted:

Seems common these days that a driver will mark a package as delivered even though they didn't actually deliver it. I assume they are doing it to boost their numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if performance evals & pay are based on metrics like that for drivers hence the incentive.

I wouldn't worry too much yet, it will likely show up tomorrow.

It used to be just lovely Ontrac that pulled this poo poo, but I've had it happen with FedEx and UPS as well. If my assumptions are correct, surely there has to be a better system for this than one that degrades the experience for a customer...

I reported the issue to Best Buy and they offered to send a replacement, then realized they didn't have any. They are refunding me for now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Best buy, Newegg to a lesser degree, the nvidia store is it basically.

The Nvidia store sold a bunch of founders editions but are now funneling all of their stock to Best Buy, so that avenue is dead.

The Nvidia store drops were bigger than people realize. There was a late in the evening 3080 drop that was up for a really long time, relatively. About 10 minutes straight. Sure that was late and kinda random, but there are thousands of people waiting for a drop at any given time. So lasting 10 minutes is about as good as it’s ever gotten. That’s a ton of people getting cards. Best Buy will now sell the store stock afaik.

Best buy isn’t as bad as people think, you can set nvidia snatcher on fast refresh (BB has a really lax attitude for quick pings) and have a decent chance. Especially if you have apple pay you can almost instantly order whatever is in stock.

If anyone thinks they don’t have the ability to set up snatcher, they’re probably wrong. The docs are good. If you’re trying to get a card without an automated solution of some kind you’re fuckin up (speaking broadly, not to you)

That’s just general advice. if anyone is trying to get a card they need nvidia snatcher or equivalent and hopefully apple pay through your iphone on any store app you can. Though of course apple pay isn’t required.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

aren't there twitch streams that ping web stores. that seems more efficient than doing the pinging yourself

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Snatcher automatically opens the store product page in your browser no matter what you’re doing, and makes a chime. If people feel like they can do better on twitch or a discord, more power to them. Fractions of a second can matter on best buy, especially if you aren’t sniping with apple pay.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

someone mentioned snatcher gobbling bandwidth (500GB in a couple weeks?) so i don't think it's a good idea recommending it

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr E posted:

It's looking like I'm going to have to RMA my card I got yesterday, I wonder if they actually have any extra cards for this or not :v:.

Someone in this thread RMA'ed their 3080 or 3090 and they got a return card in the normal expected timeframe for a RMA.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

VorpalFish posted:

I would be willing to bet that you will be able to walk into a store and buy 5 3080s at retail before a star citizen build is released that they don't call an alpha or beta. Interested?

No one said anything about Star citizen releasing a game. I didnt even say you could buy a ship in game. But picture of them? Boy howdy do they have pictures of them to sell. Except the limited edition ones.

Unfortunately the investors might cause something called star citizen to be released eventually and the joke will die off.

But seriously, 3080s will be readily available by... March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

pzy posted:

Feel bad for me etc

You can get a individually sleeved 12-pin cables here:
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Custom-Sleeved-PCIE-Modular-Cable-for-NVIDIA-RTX-30-Series-Mini-12-Pin.html

It'll apparently take a month or so to show up though