Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

You honor our forum, Your Imperial Majesty of Germany.

So he confirmed that Brett was just a jock archetype he created? Either way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snFwbElIQM4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I guess I'm confused about the flow of events (and I say this as someone who has once spent time writing out laws for magic users for a homebrew setting):

Greg gets into a fight with the sportsball players, their team captain is later murdered by Celesto.

Later, TIM (???) attacks and destroys the town, though the townspeople are saved by Greg.

Greg is somehow held responsible for the damages caused by TIM (???) and has to pay back the Kingdom (???)

Brakkis offers to pay off the debt, but in exchange, they have to sell the town to him so he can build a stadium (???)

...presumably to honor a guy he didn't know and/or only met three days ago (???)

This is presumably a legal battle story, but we know nothing about how laws apply to magic users and why the attack was blamed on Greg (???)

Is that about right?

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 20, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I forgot about this soap opera arc. It's not even funny, I'm just bored.
How long until it ends?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GrossMurpel posted:

How long until it ends?

DD ran until 2013.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

GrossMurpel posted:

How long until it ends?

Quite a bit left. It gets progressively stupider and therefore more entertaining though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

GreenMetalSun posted:

I guess I'm confused about the flow of events (and I say this as someone who has once spent time writing out laws for magic users for a homebrew setting):

I feel like you could track all the joints Mookie had to break in his setting to fit this 80s movie plot into it.

"Okay so I wanna do a battle of the bands storyline"

• Oh no, Greg has to pay back Barthis for all the destruction the Chosen caused! Da Rules say so!

"Wait, but...Barthis is full of Good People™, they wouldn't force Greg to pay them..."

• The Barthis refuse to take his money

"poo poo, the story's over..."

• Um actually, Da Rules state that Greg also has to pay the same amount to King Dave!

"Wait, so even if Serk buys the town off of the villagers...Greg will still owe the same amount of money to the king. There's no pressure to sell to Serk because even if they did Greg would still go to prison."*

*Mookie didn't think this far.

Meanwhile all he had to do...was make it so the Battle of the Bands was to raise money for the people of Barthis...who lost literally everything but the clothes off their backs in The Chosen attack. He put so much work into making Greg the center of this story while the easiest answer was also the most obvious.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Kavak posted:

So he confirmed that Brett was just a jock archetype he created? Either way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snFwbElIQM4

Sorry, I parsed your statement wrong because I was tired and just wanted to show off that I know how to address emperors. Yeah, I agree with you in the abstract, that I'm sure Brett is based off some JOCK acquaintance of Mookie's.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Here's Wednesday btw.

:geno:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I expected that the rest of the week would've been spent on corpsemum learning/failing to learn how to read and write. Instead I suppose that the one page is enough to establish she can do these things now? I guess that they at least are going somewhere (and the wednesday as a connecting page paradigm is broken - maybe he's no longer putting out three pages at once on the weekend anymore).

Joe Slowboat posted:

That Perseus stuff is very telling, in that Mookie can’t actually associate any character traits with individuals. They don’t stand for or mean anything other than “good guy” or “bad guy” - Perseus can’t be a hero from a different milieu, a different era, maybe even someone who would have to rethink his own virtues if he decided to side with Medusa, but is instead just always-already Mookie. Swords and slaying the Gorgon are out of fashion, so Perseus becomes a soft boy, while Medusa becomes corpse daughter wife.

Much like the books in Legacy, Perseus is evacuated of all meaning. Gone is the dutiful hero who goes and does what he is told again and again, who can overthrow an evil king only by twisting his own desire (to see what Perseus has brought, in this case) against him, because Perseus always follows orders - gone is the athlete, the savior of Andromeda. Because there is no Perseus. So while his drawing is perfectly fine, if uninspiring, the ideas behind it do speak to Mookie’s deep failure: he can’t actually imagine characters with specific characteristics, who remain the same person they were despite changes in values or place in the story, so when his model of heroism changes to passive Snoutishness even Perseus becomes nothing more than that.

It reflects poorly on the legacy that, even though he introduced the Ink Witch and Arudak as somewhat morally grey figures (TIW was clearly giving Snout a one-sided explanation for her thievery and Arudak seemed entirely unsympathetic to whatever legitimate concerns TIW's coven might have had), he was unable to keep that up and progressively mookiefied them, and refusing to actually explore the unintended but truer way in which the Ink Witch acted in a morally grey manner by exploiting Snout.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

Once again though, we don't know anything about her practice other than what we are told, and as soon as he is in the narrative he instantly starts loving up and getting clowned on all the time.

There's a common trap that new or inexperienced writers fall into, that's obvious in hindsight or once it's pointed out: you can only write a character who's as intelligent as you yourself are. This isn't an issue with most characters, but becomes a huge problem if you're writing That Power Fantasy Character who's the Smartest Most Clever Genius in a Room Full of Other Supposed Geniuses who Don't Recognize that He's a Genius and who Earn Their Comeuppance Through Antagonizing the Real Genius. :smuggo:

In order for that character to prove they're the smartest, everyone else has to be dumber. I'm going to pretend I call this the Dunning-Sueger effect.

That's not necessarily even a problem in young adult fiction (at least, in terms of reader enjoyment, it's still a huge issue for other reasons). If the reader is cleverer than the main character they get a positive feeling for being smarter than a super-genius; and if they aren't they still get to vicariously enjoy the main character's supposed brilliance because they're (usually) privy to his thoughts.

Obviously this is loving awful for developing mental health because the reader constantly gets to feel like they're also the smartest person in the room (rather than the likely truth: that they either matched or outwitted an author of moderate intelligence). Even this isn't a problem if they're consuming other media. I love my trash fiction, it's cathartic, but it's not the only thing I read.

From a writer's perspective, there's also an incredibly easy technique that anyone can use to avoid falling into the Dunning-Sueger hole:

Don't claim your main character is a genius. There's a reason all the Sherlock Holmes novels were from Watson's perspective.

The Little Death posted:

Calm your hysterical uterus, woman, the man is here and he will take care of you.

Thank you. I appreciate your increasing hostility to Mookie's creepy bullshit.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh my GOD mookie you aren't really, like, part of the point of establishing shots or travel shots is to show and give context and situate future scenes or at least give an impression of time passing but ALL THE LOCATIONS IN THIS are so utterly disjointed from one another it's clear you were just in the mood to draw some backgrounds. Just stop trying to do a serialized comic and just do snippets of whatever you feel like when you feel like it at this point be honest with yourself

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

YF-23 posted:

I expected that the rest of the week would've been spent on corpsemum learning/failing to learn how to read and write. Instead I suppose that the one page is enough to establish she can do these things now? I guess that they at least are going somewhere (and the wednesday as a connecting page paradigm is broken - maybe he's no longer putting out three pages at once on the weekend anymore).

Having just checked, he still is. At least Friday's strip is up.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's going to get super unpleasant in about two comics' time

This comment also makes more sense to me now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't claim your main character is a genius. There's a reason all the Sherlock Holmes novels were from Watson's perspective.

Even then, in A Scandal in Bohemia, the third Holmes story (and considered one of the best), he's outsmarted and outplayed by Irene Alder.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Little Death posted:

Having just checked, he still is. At least Friday's strip is up.

He could still be making them separately and just uploading the week's uploads on a weekend. The problem before was that the three Mon-Wed-Fri strips made a semi-coherent narrative with any progression occuring as we jumped from week to week, which served as an indication that he was just sitting down once, thinking up a plot beat, and putting it down over the course of three pages. If this doesn't happen here it would suggest that he's more motivated - for better or worse.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

FlocksOfMice posted:

Oh my GOD mookie you aren't really, like, part of the point of establishing shots or travel shots is to show and give context and situate future scenes or at least give an impression of time passing but ALL THE LOCATIONS IN THIS are so utterly disjointed from one another it's clear you were just in the mood to draw some backgrounds. Just stop trying to do a serialized comic and just do snippets of whatever you feel like when you feel like it at this point be honest with yourself

It's amazing to me that he's never just done slice of life comics in his utterly empty, soulless universe populated by copies of himself.

It's what he wants to do and would it really be worse than this?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

FlocksOfMice posted:

It's especially grating (to me) because if you look at the background in the last panel, you would assume Snout and his corpse daughter wife are looking over the same river they first met at. But then you remember that this is the SECOND travel montage they've done in nine pages. That whole page spent showing they traveled half a day across an entire desert doesn't even matter.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

YF-23 posted:

He could still be making them separately and just uploading the week's uploads on a weekend. The problem before was that the three Mon-Wed-Fri strips made a semi-coherent narrative with any progression occuring as we jumped from week to week, which served as an indication that he was just sitting down once, thinking up a plot beat, and putting it down over the course of three pages. If this doesn't happen here it would suggest that he's more motivated - for better or worse.

All i'll say is there is a coherent narrative here. or at least, the travel to these ruins is motivated.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

All i'll say is there is a coherent narrative here.

After looking up Friday's page... That's one way of putting it.

The Little Death posted:

This comment also makes more sense to me now.

Not gonna lie, I wasn't actually expecting Mookie to go there. Like, it's fun to joke about, but (I thought) even he's not that gross.

Nope. He's that gross.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

After looking up Friday's page... That's one way of putting it.

I do love being all cryptic for the no spoiler crowd, but my point is that mookie was definitely beelining towards a very specific endpoint, when he had them travel to these ruins. It wasn't just a random choice, and it makes me think that he is still writing these all at once.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah. I'll hold off on discussing it anymore til it gets posted, but... Ugh gently caress you Mookie. I thought you couldn't disappoint me any more than the Elf War reveal, but this is up there.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I can't wait to see what the next strip is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah. I'll hold off on discussing it anymore til it gets posted, but... Ugh gently caress you Mookie. I thought you couldn't disappoint me any more than the Elf War reveal, but this is up there.

They bang don't they

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RBA Starblade posted:

They bang don't they

No, Snout is the perfect innocent uwu bean and he's never gonna have sex.

But he does get commandeered as a teddy bear by the corpewife. And makes the face of a dog who just got stuck with a cone of shame.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

No, Snout is the perfect innocent uwu bean and he's never gonna have sex.

But he does get commandeered as a teddy bear by the corpewife. And makes the face of a dog who just got stuck with a cone of shame.

The alternative is much worse.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, it's literally exactly the same as every time Snout and The Kink Witch slept together, except even more uncomfortable because this one's an adult toddler?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If everybody's gonna talk about it anyway would you just post the drat page

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

speaking of:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1318706684085358592

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"I fell down a Perseus rabbit hole" :jerkbag:

Just admit you read some percy jackson books. It's fine; they're very popular.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

Here's Wednesday btw.

:geno:

Mookie still hasn't figured out actual visual storytelling. Why are they going to this city? What is this city? Is it some random landmark they discovered and are exploring for the heck of it? Or is it a destination? Did corpse wife lead him to it? Doesn't seem like it.

This is why the whole "no dialogue" thing has been a failure, and worked around via other forms of text. He can't tell a story without text. When he tries to do visual storytelling it never works.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

He can't tell a story without text.

He can't tell a story with :words: either.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So is Snout just wandering for the sake of it now? Like, we've completely abandoned any goals or destination and now it's just all about the random backgrounds?

I've also realized I have no idea what the corpse-woman's deal was anymore. Was she created by the vines? Was she a regular woman killed and brought back to life? Is she animated by the spirit of the guy who got his skin ripped off?

I mean, say what you will about classic Deegan, at least it had the basics of a narrative.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i dont want to read newgan i want to read oldgan

where's the little death i demand the good posts

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

So is Snout just wandering for the sake of it now? Like, we've completely abandoned any goals or destination and now it's just all about the random backgrounds?

His aim is to find the Ink Witch, which he means to accomplish by... Uh, walking in a random direction.

But since he's a Deegan, he has a brain meld with Mookie and knows implicitly this will lead him to her.

Angry Salami posted:

I've also realized I have no idea what the corpse-woman's deal was anymore. Was she created by the vines? Was she a regular woman killed and brought back to life? Is she animated by the spirit of the guy who got his skin ripped off?

Maybe, maybe, pretty much yeah.

Couldn't the necromancer have accomplished the same thing by just kidnapping some random woman and wiping her mind? I know this is supposed to be some Frankstein thing, but the method makes it seem kinda redundant.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mx. posted:

i dont want to read newgan i want to read oldgan

where's the little death i demand the good posts

This is a Dominic Deegan thread. There are no good posts. There will never be any good posts.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Corpse daughter wife is vaguely Bride of Frankenstein because Mookie has a thing for dead women, and doesn't seem to have a thing for mind control/overwriting personalities. So she's a resurrected corpse daughter wife.

Honestly, in a better world he would just be really into black and white updos.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh my god I used the timemachine. No I don't see why they traveled to this ruin and I can't even tell if they end up in the same ruin or if these are new ruins and WHOSE RUINS ARE THESE ANYWAY. Why is this massive endless stretch of wilderness dotted by disconnected remnants of some ancient civilization and also some guy's lonely monster cabin what bizare liminal dreamworld does this story take place in aaaargh

Mookie really. It's fine if this is your fetish. But just be upfront about this being "Hey, I have some weird cuddling fetish and also some sex hang-ups and I'm using this comic to help work my way through all of it and explore my sexuality" just say that don't go "Hey who wants a crazy mystery plot? Haha sike it's just a confused hairy guy being forcibly cuddled by women for several real life years, gently caress you."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

remember when we were like "well this is a weird digression about necromancy and dead chicks but at least the house collapsed on them and now we can move onto something else and he'll forget this entire plot thread"

simpler times, my friends

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FlocksOfMice posted:

Oh my god I used the timemachine. No I don't see why they traveled to this ruin and I can't even tell if they end up in the same ruin or if these are new ruins and WHOSE RUINS ARE THESE ANYWAY. Why is this massive endless stretch of wilderness dotted by disconnected remnants of some ancient civilization and also some guy's lonely monster cabin what bizare liminal dreamworld does this story take place in aaaargh

I just had a thought: what if he’s setting up a Planet of the Apes twist where it turns out that the ruins are way more recent, and it turns out that Dominic was somehow responsible for whatever cataclysm happened? In other words, his legacy.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

I just had a thought: what if he’s setting up a Planet of the Apes twist where it turns out that the ruins are way more recent, and it turns out that Dominic was somehow responsible for whatever cataclysm happened? In other words, his legacy.

I'd be excited to see how Dominic destroying the world wasn't his fault at all and was in fact maybe a jock's fault because Dominic can do no wrong as evidenced by him being a Mookie and Snout is a Mookie and Snout has done no wrong and by the transitive property of Mookiesm therefore Dominic can still have done no wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

If there has been societal collapse, Dominic Deegan’s Legacy is going to be what gets used to rebuild the world.

That would be the obvious and terrible way to go.