Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Tree Bucket posted:

!!!

Are there more of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

coldpudding posted:

The Blessed brotherhood ship porkball

An unarmed diplomatic ship on a mission to spread the blessed word throughout the universe

Pig balls thread must see it

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I missed the boat on the Star Citizen scamstarter so the next best thing would be this. Can someone draw me a hueg phallic ship thats somehow way too stupid to exist and yet just screams "This jpg is woth 1500 dollars"

Bonus points for RGB lights, and sex robot aesthetic.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sormus posted:

I missed the boat on the Star Citizen scamstarter so the next best thing would be this. Can someone draw me a hueg phallic ship thats somehow way too stupid to exist and yet just screams "This jpg is woth 1500 dollars"

Once I’m back in the house I’ll see what I can whip up

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This past week has been MUCH more outdoors heavy than I would have liked >: (

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

xXx - wing

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Sormus posted:

Can someone draw me a hueg phallic ship thats somehow way too stupid to exist

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Spaceships should be more boxy if you ask me

The Box mk. II

Class: Energy Drone

The Box mk. II is a simple energy drone. It is used to transport energy sticks from starbases. It is nothing fancy. When carrying a full load of energy sticks, the yellow beams shine brighter.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 17, 2020

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

The special feature of this ship is that it'll give you cancer from a billion kilometers away, I calculated it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sormus posted:

USS COMPENSATOR

Class: Ultra Battleship

USS COMPENSATOR is the ultimate battle cruiser.

Length: 1100 meters

Girth: 700 meters

Armament:

12 super heavy plasma cannons

650 heavy plasma cannons

1200 medium plasma cannons

500 torpedo tubes

1200 missile launch cells

1 forward-fixed planut buster

Fighter Compliment:

50 squadrons

Description:

USS Compensator is the ultimate warship. Designed to be bigger and thicker than anything else on the field, the USS Compensator will make sure you are never made fun of in the locker room again.

For just $1500 you will be launch-day captain of this mighty vessel. All you need to do is find 1000 of your friends to sign on to be your crew!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Applewhite posted:

USS COMPENSATOR
For just $1500 you will be launch-day captain of this mighty vessel. All you need to do is find 1000 of your friends to sign on to be your crew!
This game is ripping straight from EVE. :colbert:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

https://imgur.com/YQWg3RE
Non euclidean holding corporation vessel Bolyai

Class: Heavy Cargo Transporter

Length: 1618 Feet

Cargo capacity: Unknown

The Bolyai although unmatched in its class has gained a sour reputation due to the near total loss of it's crew on it's maiden voyage,
measures have since been put in place to prevent crew members from straying from known mapped rooms and corridors.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Applewhite posted:

USS COMPENSATOR

Class: Ultra Battleship

USS COMPENSATOR is the ultimate battle cruiser.

Length: 1100 meters

Girth: 700 meters

Armament:

12 super heavy plasma cannons

650 heavy plasma cannons

1200 medium plasma cannons

500 torpedo tubes

1200 missile launch cells

1 forward-fixed planut buster

Fighter Compliment:

50 squadrons

Description:

USS Compensator is the ultimate warship. Designed to be bigger and thicker than anything else on the field, the USS Compensator will make sure you are never made fun of in the locker room again.

It just screams Serious Military Operator and "Inevitable Consequences of of Piracy". Perfect.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 18, 2020

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

luxury space yacht "the prestige" limited "archdemon" edition

built in video games, drink dispenser, planet killing death lasers

only available for purchase by concierge club platinum plus members

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dracky posted:

luxury space yacht "the prestige" limited "archdemon" edition

built in video games, drink dispenser, planet killing death lasers

only available for purchase by concierge club platinum plus members

I’m the holo dice

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Boooo!

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Scattered Boo!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Now that Lowtax is gone, it is time to sweep away his legacy of broken promises.

Time to post spaceships.

I asked Lowtax about this when he came to the Chicagoons meet-up he organized.
I knew it was a Star Citizen reference, but I don't think I'm the only one who assumed he was going to actually make jpegs. He claimed the joke was that CIG was never going to release anything, but they did at least make the jpegs.
Later, I pulled some floss out of my pocket, as normal people do, for reasons I no longer remember. Lowtax borrowed it from me, wrapped the string around the container and told me it was my very own spaceship.
I have now converted it into a jpg.
Anyway, that's my dumb story.

The UHS Dentodestroyer

I worked way too hard on this, and it's not perfect yet, but I think I need to stop, haha.
Space is really cool though.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 19, 2020

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Edit: This is a dumb idiot question asked by a bodaget who doesn't realize he already knows the answer to the question. Please ignore. :thanks:

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 20, 2020

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Can someone draw me a space truck to commemorate the fact I am a truck driver now :D

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Linux Pirate posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do you make these?

Which programs, process and design to final product etc, if you don't mind me asking. Because while I can 3d model your work makes mine look like Colin's Bear Animation
I use Blender for modeling and Photoshop for textures. A lot of people these days use something like Substance and it's probably better in the end but so far I've stayed kinda old school and basically just draw my textures. Any good 3D modeler and image editor would work for what I do. Though I use Quixel Suite which isn't sold anymore to make normal maps, because it lets me draw them like regular textures. There probably exists other software that can do that. The more common way is to bake them from a more detailed model, though if you're not making it for a game or something, if you've got a high poly model you can just render with that.

For textures, there's a diffuse map which determines color, a roughness map which determines how smooth or rough surface is, a metallicity map which determines whether something is metal or not, and a normal map which makes bumpy detail. These plugged in to a basic PBR shader like Blender's principled node will suffice for what I've done.

Good reading on the basics of PBR renderers (i.e. most modern renderers) and the texture maps they use: https://marmoset.co/posts/basic-theory-of-physically-based-rendering/

The textures are pulling a lot of the weight since my models tend to be pretty simple. A comparison: Untextured vs. textured.

On the design side of things, which is independent of technical solutions: I have a very inconsistent way of arriving at a ship design. Sometimes I make 2D sketches, other times I iterate on 3D shapes, yet other times I have no idea where I'm going and rough out some internal components and drape a hull over them (that's how this ship happened). Always involves a lot of iteration.

For surface detail, I've stared really hard at Homeworld textures, real spacecraft and other things I like. Here's an excellent writeup on detailing in general: http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/primary_secondary_and_tertiary_shapes/primary_secondary_and_tertiary_shapes.htm

Also the bear animation is art.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 20, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Elukka, I can't look at your stuff without making "whoosh" noises to myself

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Elukka posted:

I use Blender for modeling and Photoshop for textures. A lot of people these days use something like Substance and it's probably better in the end but so far I've stayed kinda old school and basically just draw my textures. Any good 3D modeler and image editor would work for what I do. Though I use Quixel Suite which isn't sold anymore to make normal maps, because it lets me draw them like regular textures. There probably exists other software that can do that. The more common way is to bake them from a more detailed model, though if you're not making it for a game or something, if you've got a high poly model you can just render with that.

For textures, there's a diffuse map which determines color, a roughness map which determines how smooth or rough surface is, a metallicity map which determines whether something is metal or not, and a normal map which makes bumpy detail. These plugged in to a basic PBR shader like Blender's principled node will suffice for what I've done.

Good reading on the basics of PBR renderers (i.e. most modern renderers) and the texture maps they use: https://marmoset.co/posts/basic-theory-of-physically-based-rendering/

The textures are pulling a lot of the weight since my models tend to be pretty simple. A comparison: Untextured vs. textured.

On the design side of things, which is independent of technical solutions: I have a very inconsistent way of arriving at a ship design. Sometimes I make 2D sketches, other times I iterate on 3D shapes, yet other times I have no idea where I'm going and rough out some internal components and drape a hull over them (that's how this ship happened). Always involves a lot of iteration.

For surface detail, I've stared really hard at Homeworld textures, real spacecraft and other things I like. Here's an excellent writeup on detailing in general: http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/primary_secondary_and_tertiary_shapes/primary_secondary_and_tertiary_shapes.htm

Please post more of them.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Elukka posted:

This is outstanding. As someone who's trying to improve my own modeling and rendering skills, I enjoy hearing the ins and out. Thank you.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Linux Pirate posted:

This is outstanding. As someone who's trying to improve my own modeling and rendering skills, I enjoy hearing the ins and out. Thank you.
Very glad if it's useful!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Please post more of them.
I'd have to make more but I'm slow. :(

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

If we're posting serious ships I guess I'll post one of mine. It's unfinished

(sorry for the poor line work, I have essential tremors)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You do better linework than I do and I don't have tremors. You should be proud, it looks amazing!

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fly in style and comfort.

WARNING: May cause spinal damage.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Who What Now posted:

You do better linework than I do and I don't have tremors. You should be proud, it looks amazing!

Thanks homie. I appreciate that.

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012

Honeycrab

Class: Spacebowl

Population: 26.1 billion

Signature dishes: Soft Coffee, Space Ziti, Balls

Gods: Walted-Woo, Father Skullass, Toe, Hankank, Markark

Spacebowl Honeycrab is a three dimensional spaceship dedicated to spiritual growth and mood development. It is powered by water and an outer space version of Satan. Hallways and most rooms are padded with foam to allow safe temper tantrums to go down in all quadrants.
Honeycrab is a clones only Spacebowl, any OCs found aboard will be immediately melted or balled depending on local law.

Horrible Butts fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 22, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Linux Pirate posted:

looks awesome to me and :same:.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

looks awesome to me and :same:.

:respek: (just pretend they're shaking around)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Linux Pirate posted:

If we're posting serious ships I guess I'll post one of mine. It's unfinished

This is good. Guide to 3D: Take this, make it in 3D.

It would fit right in with Taiidan utility craft.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2020

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Elukka posted:

This is good. Guide to 3D: Take this, make it in 3D.

It would fit right in with Taiidan utility craft.

I plan to, but I, too am slow. Might have to redraw it on an axis.

The comparison to anything Homeworld is the highest complement in my heart. You have my gratitude.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Horrible Butts posted:

Honeycrab

Class: Spacebowl

Population: 26.1 billion

Signature dishes: Soft Coffee, Space Ziti, Balls

Gods: Walted-Woo, Father Skullass, Toe, Hankank, Markark

Spacebowl Honeycrab is a three dimensional spaceship dedicated to spiritual growth and mood development. It is powered by water and an outer space version of Satan. Hallways and most rooms are padded with foam to allow safe temper tantrums to go down in all quadrants.
Honeycrab is a clones only Spacebowl, any OCs found aboard will be immediately melted or balled depending on local law.

I love the feel of this worldbuilding a lot.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Just a cat in space, trying to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Rondette posted:

Just a cat in space, trying to get by.

Big nostalgia vibes to this children's book I loved as a kid.