Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Honestly after you said the price you paid, I would have had them do the roof for me too. That was a drat good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, it was a pretty awesome deal. Glad to see you got your well drilled and stuff dude. I'll be happy when you're finally out here so I can shamelessly lean on your experience we can help each other with big tasks :v:

My wallet is still in pain between that, the heatpump, the birthday trip for the GF, replacing shared kitchen poo poo my roomates had, and $8 2x6's though, I haven't taken a hit like this since I put the downpayment on this shithole.

All in the name of progress though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat I remember your AI chat thread post about the roommate sending you the incredibly long text, apparently things moved fast after that. I have a friend who used to be on a sub and it hosed up his sleeping to this day, something to do with a non-24hr day? Other friends swear they gently caress the with oxygen levels on the subs but I have to imagine that's a myth because it would equally affect the guys who are supposed to be awake and functioning.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, subs used to do a rotating 18 hour day, 6gours of watch, 6 hours of training/maintenance/recreation, 6 hours of sleep (if you're lucky) mine did that for the first couple years I was there, but they did a huge study and found out that a schedule like that is terrible for alertness and mental health, so they switched to a 24 hour schedule fleet wide.

Oxygen levels 100% fluctuate based on the capacity of the atmospheric control equipment but not that much, and it's better regulated on the more modern boats, the old O2 generators sucked. I think what really fucks with you is CO2 levels onboard are WAY higher than earth's atmosphere, so you feel out of breath for awhile when you go under, until your body adjusts.

E: submariners do love making poo poo up though, I think because being on one is so tedious, and all the exciting bits are classified.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 8, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

Haven't updated in awhile.

TL;DR, my roomates are Nazis and moving away someplace where hate speech is tolerated.

It's been emotional, and leaves me kinda pissing in the wind, since I don't know poo poo about construction, besides electrical work, and poo poo rolling downhill.

Oh well, I can probably learn.

Oof. Sucks to learn new things in such a way (both in the sense of "about friends" and "right now because you have to".)

quote:

This last weekend I went on a little vacation with my GF for her birthday, the roofers came by while I was gone, put on a new roof in 30yr architectural shingles. Kastein made fun of me for not doing this myself, but they were done in a day, they did a great job, and it was pretty cheap, beats the heck out of scrambling around a 12/12 pitch roof for three weeks myself. I plan on contracting out drywall to the same company, everything else I'll do myself, probably*

Yeah, I *can* (and have done) roofing. I don't *want* to.

quote:

Today I knocked off work early and got to cuttin' and weldin' some supports for my new heatpump's condenser, since the best place to put it is right over the septic drain field, I figure I'd play it safe and wall mount it.

Welding .125" thick 2" square tube, 3/32 7018 rod, about 95 amps.

Off to a rocky start:

Eh, a little better, I kinda wanted appearance grade welds. Too bad I suck at welding:

Oh well grinder and paint, right? That minor pitting is no big deal, especially since these welds won't really have any load on them.

(Ear-splitting screaming):

I don't know how I hosed up that bad, the one closer to the camera is correct.

Guess I'm cutting and butt welding the other one. That is a good signal to stop for the day.

Not gonna lie: been there. And yeah, you just stop for the day.
It's been a very long time since I stick welded. MIG is so much easier, even flux-core. For that kind of stuff, it works great. Kind of impressive that you blew holes in 1/8". Later welds look good, though. That's usually how mine go. Crap start as I remember how to weld, then get cleaner.
Also, rather than screaming, usually from me it's one very loud "gently caress."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks, Darchangel.

French doors and super awesome casement windows ordered for the North face of the first floor.

Concrete for the footer arrives Wednesday, I've spent my night running around nailing up tarps to keep the footer trench from subducting in the rain we're getting right now.

It's probably all for not, but I have to have steel in by the time concrete arrives soooooo.

I'm vaguely optimistic that cash reserves can hold through downstairs remodel and career change. We'll see

Current status: drinking wine in garage.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Status of garage: mainly waterproof, "YOU ARE WARNED"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Someone talk me out of welding a floating staircase.

Current staircase has to be replaced no matter what, the new one will come up where the upstairs prison bathroom is.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Please don't do this:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would die from that staircase within a week

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you've never cut stringers it's daunting but doable and faster than welding by far. Accurate measurements and getting good straight flat stock to start with is most important.

I would make sure that entire area of the house is on its final footing before starting. You really don't want to wrack the whole mess jacking it up right after putting it together...

Also do not do that staircase :wtf: ^^^

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Please don't do this:

That looks great, and like a real test of my welding skills, thanks!

*runs away before reading any other posts or context*

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FR though, new staircase won't be after final structural remediation. Steel is interesting, cool, unique, and a challenge, we'll see what I do based on market prices in a few months.

Tried to buy some cool beams off a dude on Key Peninsula this weekend, distressed old cedar, real nice, but he must've sold them 'cause he ghosted me :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elviscat posted:

Off to a rocky start:

In true AI style, going for the barefoot welding championships?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm wearing my safety flip-flops.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Long as you're wearing your safety squints you'll be fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

I'm wearing my safety flip-flops.

I did that a while back belding up the t-bolt set screws for my vise mount. Caught a couple of dingleberries on the tops of my feet, improvised dancing ensued.
I also discovered that normal leather work gloves are not up to handling recently-welded objects.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

FR though, new staircase won't be after final structural remediation. Steel is interesting, cool, unique, and a challenge, we'll see what I do based on market prices in a few months.

Tried to buy some cool beams off a dude on Key Peninsula this weekend, distressed old cedar, real nice, but he must've sold them 'cause he ghosted me :(

You can also buy premade ready to go closed stringer staircases, around here about £100 for a 4m run, just trim to fit.

Nothing fancy, softwood stringers and MDF treads/risers, but they do the job just fine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Footer and hip-wall are fuckin' in, had to expand the hip-wall to 7" instead of the 6" I wanted because I knocked the rebar about desperately shoveling 2.5cuyd of concrete from the truck to the footer, and I wanted at least 2.5" of concrete on each side of the steel.

The footer trench was also off-level by about 6" on one end, so it varies in thickness from 12-18", the 18" part is above lovely glacial till, so an extra bit of concrete can't hurt there, hopefully it doesn't settle too unevenly.

Footer is 24"x12(ish)" wall is 13"x7" all reinforced with 1/2" rebar, ufer ground included. Footer was done with a truck, wall was bags.

Because I wasn't able to get the joists perfectly level by jacking, getting the plate(s) in place is going to be... interesting.

Got hold-down bolts every 4' and seismic anchors at the two corners, should be relatively stout, unfortunately I'll have to notch the plate instead of drilling for the plate washers, because there's not enough height to sneak the plate between the concrete and the studs. Plate will be 2x8 PT, haven't decided what the second "shim" plate is going to be, 5/4 PT deck board makes sense, but I've never seen that used in a structural application, 2x PT would be good, but a pain to work to the right height, we'll see when I get there, I'm super open to suggestions ;)

Forms in

Wall poured:

My back hurt like a motherfucker after all that, I spent yesterday evening mostly curled into the one position that relieved the pain on my GF's couch. It feels much better today. All my lower joints also hurt, thanks to standing on a sliding mud covered hill swinging a shovel. Got lucky and the weather held out both days, minor sprinkles but nothing too bad.

In other news, I picked up a pair of 4x12x14' cedar beams, that had their ends rot off down near Kastein's future lair. They'll look fantastic on the first floor, they're very weathered and have a spot of woodworm, so they'll be getting soaked in borax-laced wood treatment, they'll look much more appropriate than a shiny glulam sitting in the new downstairs living and bedrooms. Those few feet of rot on the right-side beam are getting cut out. These'll also have 2x 2x6's sitting in the beam pocket with them, so they'll be more of a visual than a structural element.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 18, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Darchangel posted:

I did that a while back belding up the t-bolt set screws for my vise mount. Caught a couple of dingleberries on the tops of my feet, improvised dancing ensued.
I also discovered that normal leather work gloves are not up to handling recently-welded objects.

The worst foot burn I've gotten was when I was wearing unlaced work boots and a dingleberry flew in the open top :stonklol:

Jaded Burnout posted:

You can also buy premade ready to go closed stringer staircases, around here about £100 for a 4m run, just trim to fit.

Nothing fancy, softwood stringers and MDF treads/risers, but they do the job just fine.

I haven't seen a place that does that around here, that sounds like a solid deal.

The open welded staircase would definitely be more for fun/experience over ease or affordability.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Use whatever wood fits and is treated for the environment when it comes to stacking things to make a slanty shanty less slanty. It's all the same poo poo, just milled to different sizes, no one's gonna judge you if you use a deck board instead of ripping exactly the same size piece out of something else.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Good advice there, thanks Kastein.

Today's project, modify and add lightness, why? Because race house.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PERFECTLY NORMAL FRAMING METHODS.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

:stare:

Lotta structural air going on there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Out of 2x6s and nails, time to stop for the day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

:stare:

Lotta structural air going on there.

Goes well with the theoretical waterproofing and imaginary vapor barrier.

E: all the wood I removed was held in with about 1 nail per board, a lot of it pulled out by hand when I first demoed the interior.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 20, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Kinda giving me flashbacks here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'd imagine I'll give you more when I'm living in the hulk of a house in the dead of winter.

At least it doesn't get below ~25F in Washington.

Anyways, I'm in full "drat the Torpedoes, full speed ahead" mode.

French doors should be ready for pickup tomorrow, a week from then HD is supposed to have my 3 massive double-casement windows in. 2 48x60's are going in the two holes already framed (that's gonna be the living room), the bedroom is getting one giant 48x72 double casement.

I hear windows like that are an.... experience to install.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like the contrast between the build quality of the deck and the existing construction on the house. It also seems like it would have been easier to start from scratch, but I guess you can't live in it at the same time that way (and I'm guessing more expensive)

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Me and my partner are hoping to go house hunting in a year or two. Glad I have something to fuel my nightmares til we get to that point. On a more serious note yer kicking rear end dude, I hope yer able to get all the lightning holes fixed before it get's colder.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I like the contrast between the build quality of the deck and the existing construction on the house. It also seems like it would have been easier to start from scratch, but I guess you can't live in it at the same time that way (and I'm guessing more expensive)

Yeah, that was the big draw to it.

I'll be stretching the definition of "habitable" in a couple months.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Me and my partner are hoping to go house hunting in a year or two. Glad I have something to fuel my nightmares til we get to that point. On a more serious note yer kicking rear end dude, I hope yer able to get all the lightning holes fixed before it get's colder.

Thank you!

Get a good home inspector! (And don't ignore them like I did)

More progress today, finished re-framing the wall, wanted to get it Tyvek'd but ran out of time.

Bonus picture of how they "fixed" a window frame they broke.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh sweet, I was in super close contact with someone who's confirmed to have COVID. Guess I'm going to be at home working on the house a lot more for awhile.

Provided I can breathe.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well I guess it's one a year, this guy just showed up, I've seen him around, but only at a distance, tonight he was obviously starving bad enough to come around humans, so he got a little can of wet food, and a bowl of dry food, then he decided to check the place out a little more and hang out.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, that was the big draw to it.

I'll be stretching the definition of "habitable" in a couple months.

Thank you!

Get a good home inspector! (And don't ignore them like I did)

More progress today, finished re-framing the wall, wanted to get it Tyvek'd but ran out of time.

Bonus picture of how they "fixed" a window frame they broke.

Def's will get one, I'll follow him around and nitpick with him if I have to. Also holy crap those windows look like they were made of cheese.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Def's will get one, I'll follow him around and nitpick with him if I have to. Also holy crap those windows look like they were made of cheese.

Good idea.

They're normal builder grade vinyl windows, they were mounted like absolute poo poo, almost all the panes had condensation in them (i.e. they had failed) they were mismatched, and I suspect bought off the discount cart at Lowes, or second hand on CL, after getting the crap beat out of them. They'll get a second life in a little greenhouse, along with the old sliding doors.

The room I'm working on now was so drafty that it couldn't be heated above 55 degrees with a 3kW baseboard going full blast in the winter.

I wish I remembered where I put this window

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

All tucked away until the windows come in.

(I'll finish stapling it tomorrow)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Not too bad, could've used a little more vibrating, there's some porosity there, it'll work though.

I need to get some more cookware now that my roomates have moved out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elviscat posted:

All tucked away until the windows come in.

(I'll finish stapling it tomorrow)

I did not finish stapling this today. I did clean up the trash pile though.

Elviscat posted:

I wish I remembered where I put this window

UPDATE: don't cut hardie backer with an angle grinder, if you do, don't wait until you're halfway done to put on your respirator, if you do that, don't do it in 2020 and spend the next 24 hours playing "respiratory distress caused by inhaling concrete dust or the COVID you're quarantined for"

It was just the concrete dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I just drill through the corners from the back using the framing as a reference then go and draw lines between them. Oh, and hold a shopvac next to the cutter next time, even if it doesn't eliminate the dust it sure cuts down on it.