Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Romes128 posted:

Sliger CL530 has similar dimensions to the 202 and can fit a triple slot card.

This is perfect. It's going on my list. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Metalfish S5 is back in stock at AliExpress for anyone interested in doing an SFF build with a full mATX board. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000221324472.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6d813c00a07TeV&mp=1 400+ units in stock it looks like.

Has anyone here ever put an order through AliExpress? Are they reliable?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

teagone posted:

The Metalfish S5 is back in stock at AliExpress for anyone interested in doing an SFF build with a full mATX board. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000221324472.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6d813c00a07TeV&mp=1 400+ units in stock it looks like.

Has anyone here ever put an order through AliExpress? Are they reliable?

I know a few people that have ordered guitars from there before. I've ordered some keyboard bits and pieces from there too.

It's just a chinese factory outlet essentially. The quality is very YMMV but it's reliable in terms of you will receive your order.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Cheers,

Im torn on what to put in it.

I currently have a H100i SE 280mm AIO, so if i put that in i would probably have 2 exhaust at the top. Then potentially put the fans that came with the case on the bottom, or one on the bottom and 1 on the rear (bottom one as intake, rear as outtake).

The other option is to use the AMD Ryzen stock cooler and just have the two fans one exhaust on top and 1 rear

Honestly I'm just gonna be waiting for the Chromax NH-U12A with some intake fans at the bottom, should work really nicely with an FE 3080.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Please don't look at the cable management in my Ncase right now. I have unwrapped ketchup and mustard running across the top for a molex connector because I don't have any sleeving on hand. And my ATX/EPS could be charitably described as "idk stuff it between the PSU and RAM?"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NR200P built. Think I'm gonna stick with the perforated side for now.

Cable management is not good right now. Might improve, or not...

I'm probably gonna switch the mounting of the psu to a side mount as opposed to the back mount to get more room for cabling

Anyone who is building this. For the love of God put the GPU in last. like even after you have put the sides back on, then install the GPU.

For some reason only 1 top fan is working atm but I think I know why (possible wrong header on the Mobo).

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 21, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lol, im gonna build my nr200 today when my PSU arrives, and I was looking at the mobo that I already installed and the PSU cage thinking "how the gently caress will I avoid just having a massive mess of wires jammed in between these"

glad to see that is, in fact, the default build state :v:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
the way to avoid a massive mess of wires is to pay a bunch of money for custom length shorter cables.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

the way to avoid a massive mess of wires is to pay a bunch of money for custom length shorter cables.

My box is side-eying me right now, but it's not getting poo poo until I pay off my 3080.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
One solution I saw with the nr200 was routing some of the cables through the area behind the front panel where the two ssd bays are, dunno how useful that'll be until I get some poo poo to put in my own case but I've seen some clean builds online using that method

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

One solution I saw with the nr200 was routing some of the cables through the area behind the front panel where the two ssd bays are, dunno how useful that'll be until I get some poo poo to put in my own case but I've seen some clean builds online using that method

This is also good for the Ncase M1. I have excess PCI-E, molex, and front panel cables routed through there.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'll give it a try tomorrow and will report back.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
A few zip ties and tucking cables here in there works well enough for the NR200, I don’t use the glass side panel or look at my case so I’m not too worried about perfecting it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Warmachine posted:

And my ATX/EPS could be charitably described as "idk stuff it between the PSU and RAM?"

That's clearly masterful cable management :colbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SFF thread, I don’t know if I want the ASUS Strix X570-I or the Crosshair VIII Impact. Both cases I want to get support miniDTX (NR200 definitely, FormD P1 likely). The Crosshair has some neat features, like the SO-DIMM.2 board throwing NVMe in the path of airflow for better cooling, better arrangement of power connectors and headers, Type-C front header cable and BIOS flashback (which will be handy for me not having a Zen2 CPU).

It’s about a £90 price difference between the X570-I and the Impact, but I’m torn. The place I plan to get the board and CPU from said they’re happy to flash the BIOS before shipping, and both boards have the same VRM setup.

I’m pretty :psyduck: at the ASUS B550 board having the Type-C internal connector but not the X570.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What do the X570 boards offer you that b550 doesnt?

Seems like ITX really doesn’t care about the actual chipset differences, so you’re left with “X570 boards have slightly more speedy rear I/O options to justify their price, but B550 boards were designed 6 months later and benefit from being slightly newer with respect to technology uptake (read: board makers realized people want USB-C header after the X570 boards were made and before the B550 ones were)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

B-Mac posted:

A few zip ties and tucking cables here in there works well enough for the NR200, I don’t use the glass side panel or look at my case so I’m not too worried about perfecting it.

yeah, I think if I bend my cables a bit more and use the PSU cage as my big zip tie point, I'll be able to get some of the poo poo that's currently just sitting on my GPU off of it. bending the ATX cord out of the PSU is rough but this build managed it well:

for comparison, here's what I've got going, lmao:

remember how I said I didn't want a side window? :v:

I thought I bricked my build for a while before realizing that the ATX cord had come loose from the mobo (which happened, like, multiple times as I futzed with things) because of how harshly I had to bend it, I think tying it down will help a lot

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 21, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What air cooler is that? I've been planning on my next rig being in an NR200 but will be using an ATX PSU cage (3d print files are available on CM website) and I'm not sure how that interferes with an AIO / if I even want an AIO.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

abraham linksys posted:

for comparison, here's what I've got going, lmao:

remember how I said I didn't want a side window? :v:

This makes me sad, lol.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What air cooler is that? I've been planning on my next rig being in an NR200 but will be using an ATX PSU cage (3d print files are available on CM website) and I'm not sure how that interferes with an AIO / if I even want an AIO.

That's the Scythe Fuma 2 which by all accounts is one of the best options for the nr200.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Took everything apart and re did the cable work. Almost hosed it as I didn't put the cpu back in right and caused boot issues.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 21, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Took everything apart and re did the cable work. Almost hosed it as I didn't put the cpu back in right and caused boot issues.

So my first read on this had me thinking for some reason you unsocketed your CPU for cable work (which had me confused) and somehow managed to put it back in, clamp it down, and mount the heatsink wrong (which confused me more and also made me anxious).

Then I realized you meant you did something wrong with the EPS cable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

So my first read on this had me thinking for some reason you unsocketed your CPU for cable work (which had me confused) and somehow managed to put it back in, clamp it down, and mount the heatsink wrong (which confused me more and also made me anxious).

Then I realized you meant you did something wrong with the EPS cable.

Nope you are right.

I re-did the paste and somehow hosed up remounting something. The heatsink was mounted correctly but I think the CPU was slightly off.

Trust me. I was making GBS threads myself

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 21, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Nope you are right.

I re-did the paste and somehow hosed up remounting something. The heatsink was mounted correctly but I think the CPU was slightly off.

Trust me. I was making GBS threads myself

:staredog:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to get a tiny computer with at least two Ethernet holes and ability to have fixed mass storage so I can have a jump box that's better than a RaspPi with a million dongles hanging off it. I know there are some NUC-sized boxes that could do the trick, but wondering if I could go smaller.

Does anyone know the computer used for the Netgate SG-1000?

or its larger sibling the SG-2100

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hed posted:

I'm trying to get a tiny computer with at least two Ethernet holes and ability to have fixed mass storage so I can have a jump box that's better than a RaspPi with a million dongles hanging off it. I know there are some NUC-sized boxes that could do the trick, but wondering if I could go smaller.

The first one has its specs on the page. I'm not sure what's inside it, though:
SOC Marvell Armada 3720LP (88F3720) dual core ARM Cortex A53 processor @ 1.2GHz
System Memory 1 GB DDR4 RAM on board
Storage 8 GB EMMC
So, it probably won't be great.

I don't know what price you were considering but there are a few single board computers that are x86 based and do a pretty good job, but not all have dual ethernet. The Seeed Odyssey came out recently and is a little smaller than a NUC:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/Odyssey-Blue-J4105-128GB-p-4668.html
Here's a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XV8dlFwNd0

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Really digging the goon SFF build pics lately!

ITX boards in mid/fullsize cases is cool aesthetic, especially when the CPU cooler is almost as large as the motherboard...

ITX cases in mid/fullsize cases are even cooler...

Pretty standard aircooled 3700X/1080TI system with two NF A-14s in the bottom until 3080's are available and Ryzen 5000 reviews come out...

Second build, first ITX build: probably seated and reseated the motherboard 5+ times to get cables managed as desired. Thermals were concerning at set up, I was seeing the X570 chipset and rear M.2 drive approach then pass 80C when gaming. I undervolted my GPU to 1936 MHz at 935 mV to bring temps come down a few degrees, but probably need to push that harder. Looking into replacing the thermal pad on the chipset but not thrilled about almost completely disassembling the system to do that.

Has anyone ITT put a heatsink on the rear M.2 drive in an M1? If so, which heatsink and what thickness of thermal pad was used?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You bet your rear end I'm taking photos of an ITX board in a full tower case because I can't get an NR200.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

You bet your rear end I'm taking photos of an ITX board in a full tower case because I can't get an NR200.

You can....you just need to pay £60 for shipping and import charges like me because I'm a loving mug

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

You can....you just need to pay £60 for shipping and import charges like me because I'm a loving mug

I was getting ram from newegg and trust me I was tempted, but not £140 for a steel case tempted. I'm not making that mistake again.

e: Wait wtf its £104 not £140, thats honestly what I'll end up paying with shipping from a UK seller, gently caress I just might.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

Trying to build a pc in 2020 has been an interesting experience. I'm constantly waking up at like 3am as my many product alerts ping and I scramble to hit the 8 second window to buy parts before they go out of stock or the retailers website crashes from load.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

denereal visease posted:

Really digging the goon SFF build pics lately!

ITX boards in mid/fullsize cases is cool aesthetic, especially when the CPU cooler is almost as large as the motherboard...

I love cpu heatsinks that are as large as the mobo. I really feel bad for my itx board shouldering the weight of a cooler and a gpu

Does anyone have a good solution for cable management for cables running from the rear outside the case? Looking at my pictures, the random cables sticking out is bugging me.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 22, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Okay you all we have a job to do. Asus Tuf 3080 you're the muscle. SF750 our tech person. NR200 the mastermind. Let's go go go! Uh does anyone know how to open the safe? gently caress I knew we forgot someone! I'm not bringing old 6700k to the party besides they don't get along with Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4.

This metaphor is perfect I will not accept any criticism.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ughhhh posted:

I love cpu heatsinks that are as large as the mobo. I really feel bad for my itx board shouldering the weight of a cooler and a gpu

Does anyone have a good solution for cable management for cables running from the rear outside the case? Looking at my pictures, the random cables sticking out is bugging me.

Get some mesh sleeves. I think searching wire wrap or wire sleeve on Amazon should get you the hits you need.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Question time do you think it's possible to fit a 157.5mm cpu cooler in an nr200p with the glass on? https://www.scytheus.com/mugen-5-argb-plus Cooler master says no 153mm . Hardwarecanuck says 158 to 159. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP3-881X5o Apparently the offsets are also like 6mm and maybe I could get the extra mm needed by going with smaller ones?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Hed posted:

Check out some openwrt compatible hardware
https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/
most of these are about the same size as the pi and come with more internal storage and ram than most other options.

Also these are nice fanless x86 opensource routers ranging from 150 and up. Wireless modules optional. Not smaller than a pi tho.

https://protectli.com/products/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

Question time do you think it's possible to fit a 157.5mm cpu cooler in an nr200p with the glass on? https://www.scytheus.com/mugen-5-argb-plus Cooler master says no 153mm . Hardwarecanuck says 158 to 159. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMP3-881X5o Apparently the offsets are also like 6mm and maybe I could get the extra mm needed by going with smaller ones?
The Noctua U12x at 158 mm apparently just fits with the vented panel but not with the TG panel so I don't think the Mugen fits with the glass panel either, at least not without modifications.

Source: Pre-release thread by someone from CM

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah I'd say the tempered glass panel you'd have to stick within the recommended height - the vented panel can flex a little but it's still hit or miss.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

what do you people have against AIOs. i have a kraken x something or other mounted on the side bracket and it's Good As Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've had more AIOs fail on me than air coolers. Bring on the black NH-U12A.