Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean giving villains a second chance doesn’t happen that often. This is the first time it’s happened since like Namek?

So its actually not that common but when it does happen it’s iconic I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dias posted:

I feel like if you're reading DBZ in 2020 and you expect Goku to fire a ki blast in the back of Moro's head execution-style you somehow hosed up reading a book for kids.

So off base I don't even know who this is even aimed at

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It doesn’t even make sense, Cells death and Goku death the first time are pretty brutal

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dias posted:

I mean, I dunno why people are objecting to that so hard because...Moro wasn't dying. The Freeza thing doesn't make sense in that context. Goku wanted him to give himself in at full strength to prove he could be better, which is a hella Goku thing to do. If you cut that you just have Moro pulling out another free Full Restore outta his rear end after being beat, which just makes the narrative worse, even if you don't like this version.

I think if that was the intention it would've been better to just have Goku say so, cause it reads way more to me like Goku letting everyone heal up now that the match is over. Personally I think that'd actually be more in character than him setting Moro up for some kinda purity test, and I don't even think the senzu scene was terrible. It's just the endless dragging of this arc that had the chance to end on a high note a dozen times already.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
can absolutely picture beerus and whis going 'We're bachelors, baby'

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheHan posted:

I think if that was the intention it would've been better to just have Goku say so, cause it reads way more to me like Goku letting everyone heal up now that the match is over. Personally I think that'd actually be more in character than him setting Moro up for some kinda purity test, and I don't even think the senzu scene was terrible. It's just the endless dragging of this arc that had the chance to end on a high note a dozen times already.

I mean, that's kinda the point, Goku was letting him go fully healed because in his mind, he had beat the guy already - and he could do it again, so if he keeps his word, no reason to not heal his injuries, if he doesn't, eh, too bad. He was kinda trying to do the whole "c'mon, just be nice so I can punch you again for fun one day" thing.

The dragging thing I don't disagree with, it's been a Super problem overall. Well, I guess it's been a Buu saga onwards problem overall when it comes to serialized DB content. Zamasu arc had like 12 stopping points and it kept going, ToP dragged a bit in the middle too.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

This chapter was ok in a vaccuum. I've been very on and off with my DBS so i wasn't too annoyed, but Moro totally could've gone straight to his bullshit at the end from his previous beating. Totally a filler chapter, but Goku threw in some lines that laid the foundation for another villain turned friend down the line.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Moro is dead as gently caress.

His abilities are to villian is to survive

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

american goku would kill the poo poo out of moro whild disturbed - stupify blares in the background

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i agree that this chapter out of context is neat but moro is such a boring villain lol

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

multijoe posted:

There were some cool visuals this chapter and Moro breaking his hand on Goku's ab was really funny but honestly gently caress this plotting. Moro has already had so many get out of jail free cards at this point it's ridiculous and capping it off with Goku just throwing the fight entirely voluntarily just sucks, just go away Goat Cell and please never return

:yeah:

Though, on the topic of funny things, there was also "Haha, I have Ultra Instinct!" "No you don't." "Y-yes, I do." "No, really, you don't."

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

this chapter was fun. as others have said, it'll be nice if vegeta resolves this with his fission powers, but i think it would be cool if this also sets up the next arc by releasing some other primordial evil that was sealed in the earth... though it would be uncharacteristic of db to do anything resembling foreshadowing, i suppose

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would make complete sense for Vegeta to punch the earth to seperate Moro and also make his training this arc not a complete waste of time so I'm fully prepared for Goku to teleport the Earth to King Kai's realm and have it blow up there

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Freeza shows up and goes if anyones gonna blow up the Earth its gonna be me and kills Moro

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I have to say one underappreciated thing about this chapter is that it starts with Krillin popping up and going "hey, everything is under control for once, what could ever go wrong now?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

multijoe posted:

It would make complete sense for Vegeta to punch the earth to seperate Moro and also make his training this arc not a complete waste of time so I'm fully prepared for Goku to teleport the Earth to King Kai's realm and have it blow up there

Nah, Vegeta will IT the Earth to Supreme (or Old) Kai with Goku in awe at Vegeta making the ultimate sacrifice, followed by Moro coming back and touching Beerus and Whis' necks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOgJPV9BG0U

Funky Valentine posted:

NEXT CHAPTER: "Hey King Kai, can you do me another solid?"

More like "Hey Whis, can you do me a solid and do that thing where you reverse time and then I take it seriously and end the fight quick?"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The chapter is hecked up because it has Goku say the phrase "Everyone has a limit." Which is shakingly out of character.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gruckles posted:

The chapter is hecked up because it has Goku say the phrase "Everyone has a limit." Which is shakingly out of character.

It’s fine? Goku’s criticism to Moro is about taking shortcuts to break his own limit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean most power ups in DB are shortcuts.

Like UI isn’t the result of training, neither is the original SS

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Goku's limit is his broken brain.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean most power ups in DB are shortcuts.

Like UI isn’t the result of training, neither is the original SS

We saw him training to achieve Ultra Instinct several times throughout Super, and in this very arc to try and master it. When he took a shortcut to reach it he blew his back out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

UI was introduced in a tournament arc where no training happened so I have my doubts.

They did train for blue which is probably what your thinking of

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No they achieved blue practically by accident while training on Planet Beerus, but from the start Whis tells them how they need to stop thinking while fighting and move instinctually, and how it's a technique that even Beerus hasn't mastered yet. The movie kind of mentions it but the anime makes it clear that Ultra Instinct is the goal.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4TRlRGXEU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I always found Goku getting Ultra Instinct really weird considering that he was just so out of shape that he was getting nicked by bullets two days ago.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I always found Goku getting Ultra Instinct really weird considering that he was just so out of shape that he was getting nicked by bullets two days ago.

Wasn't that Krillin?

Though Goku did get shot to death by a muppet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It also happened to Goku. He was fighting some random goons in the middle of the desert who tried to rob him, got nicked by a bullet, and decided to nag everyone about training, only to be ignored every step of the way. This then led into him asking Zeno to set up the Tournament of Power.

Because that's what you do when you're out of shape: immediately throw yourself into a serious competition. :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
screw the haters, the manga is good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also battle of gods literally ends with goku using ultra instinct to destroy beerus's big supernova death ball

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I didn't mind the last chapter as much as I thought I would, dumb Goku aside, because it led to something at least somewhat interesting instead of the usual "Well now I'm stronger again, time to resume the zwee fighting and beam clashing".

It did however reinforce my belief that Ultra Instinct is stupid in general as a concept. It's a win button and the only way Moro can add stakes is by threatening every other character but Goku. Also, minor complaint, but I find it pretty silly that Moro apparently can't handle angel power when literally his entire gimmick is absorbing power and he's fused with a guy who can copy power. But sure, I guess he didn't train and hit the ol' gravity chamber like Goku and Vegeta on his way to Earth so he's gotta think up some other way to handle the overload, whatever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm primarily bothered by the fact that Goku powered down to normal and then powered back to Ultra Instinct. As if to suggest that attaining Ultra Instinct in the future won't be a problem.

So... now what? Because, I mean, if Ultra Instinct is supposed to be the perfect Angel technique and he can use it at will now, then there's going to have to be some way for people to get around it. Otherwise there's no tension anymore. Which means invalidating the stuff that people liked about Ultra Instinct.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm primarily bothered by the fact that Goku powered down to normal and then powered back to Ultra Instinct. As if to suggest that attaining Ultra Instinct in the future won't be a problem.

So... now what? Because, I mean, if Ultra Instinct is supposed to be the perfect Angel technique and he can use it at will now, then there's going to have to be some way for people to get around it. Otherwise there's no tension anymore. Which means invalidating the stuff that people liked about Ultra Instinct.

There have been vague hints for a long time now that the main angel dude is a total dick and may be the pen/ultimate villain of the series. It would make sense because the angels use UI themselves and Goku is still new to it, after all.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah, god, what will the story do if the new powerup gets outdated, that's unprecedented in dragonball :rolleyes:

Dragonball is like family. You take the good with the bad, because that's just the way it goes. Was this the perfect chapter/storyline? No. Was it total dogshit? No! Some stupid stuff happened, some cool punches happened, magic powers and tricks pulled their weight alongside PURE FIGHT MIGHT, the stakes were raised incrementally, some side characters got cool moments, Vegeta learned some new tricks, Goku mastered his new form and in time it will be outclassed by the new hot thing. My god, if you're this upset about the comic just go do something else.

There was fun stuff and there was some of the yadda-yadda that filled in the blanks in between, the same as it has been for 35 YEARS. That's Dragonball baby! Just have some fun with it, jeez. :shrug:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't like god ki or Ultra Instinct because they're so ill-defined.

how did Vegeta get god ki? how do you get more of it?

if Ultra Instinct is the idea of your body being able to react and attack without thinking, what about it cranks Goku's strength up? why is it not just base level strength but now it's harder to hit him because he has perfect reaction speed?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

also battle of gods literally ends with goku using ultra instinct to destroy beerus's big supernova death ball

stop calling everything ultra instinct

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Jackie Chun used Ultra Instinct way before Roshi and Goku when he used the Happy Cow Technique.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1qvRygA1zc the first use of ultra instinct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it was hosed up how master mutaito achieved ultra instinct only to be defeated by piccolo