Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

I joined Twitter in the halcyon days of 2007, and I'm pretty sure my account is my name with an 88 after it. I posted like 3 times and gave up on it because no one was there in 2007 so the whole thing seemed dumb. Kind of glad I didn't build up a 13 year posting history with a Nazi symbol, tbh.

There are more people born in 1988 in this world than there are Nazis. Don't let em have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OwlFancier posted:

Does masturbating incompletely make anybody less anxious?

Also, who can possibly enjoy masturbating at work?
Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime: that's why i whack off on company time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yes, we have x rayed your brain and can confirm the existence of the gaming bone, here is your certified gaming card signed by the pope and the president.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Nostradingus posted:

There are more people born in 1988 in this world than there are Nazis. Don't let em have it

Yes, it’s like the OK symbol. Your average person is going to see it and think “oh that’s their birth year” or “oh everything is OK”. You have to have terminal brain worms to see it and assume with no other context that the person is a Nazi. I guess that does go hand-in-hand with posting on Twitter though...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Does masturbating incompletely make anybody less anxious?

Also, who can possibly enjoy masturbating at work?

Camgirls/guys?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
On twitter you can change both your display name and your @ifeelokborn88 handle at any time so there's literally no reason to use something like that unless you want to. It's impossible to be stuck with an unfortunate but innocent choice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Regardless of the connotation, using your birth year in your handle is pretty lame and best avoided anyway.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Also compromises any accounts you may have where "What year did you..." is set as a security question.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Freaquency posted:

Yes, it’s like the OK symbol. Your average person is going to see it and think “oh that’s their birth year” or “oh everything is OK”. You have to have terminal brain worms to see it and assume with no other context that the person is a Nazi. I guess that does go hand-in-hand with posting on Twitter though...
When you bend over backwards that far are you able to lick your own rear end?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

It's always telling how they frame it as a mental health issue and then pivot to 'so everyone just has to deal' instead of calling for better mental health treatment.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Baron von Eevl posted:

"We have to do EXTENSIVE research here."

"Okay how are you going to do that."

"I think I'm just going to ask him in a general sense what his tattoos are about and if any have special meaning."

"Yes that is certainly due diligence."

But wouldn't the sort of person that gets Nazi tattoos on their face be proud to explain that said tattoos are indeed his way of standing up for the white race? I mean why get a Nazi tattoo, and then tell people it is actually not a Nazi tattoo?

I am not arguing with you about Sky History's lack of research. Its just that I reckon that the people filming and in the research department aren't as online as goons/Nazis, so therefore don't understand the racist imagery, and accepted the more wholesome sounding explanation without question.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

But wouldn't the sort of person that gets Nazi tattoos on their face be proud to explain that said tattoos are indeed his way of standing up for the white race? I mean why get a Nazi tattoo, and then tell people it is actually not a Nazi tattoo?

I am not arguing with you about Sky History's lack of research. Its just that I reckon that the people filming and in the research department aren't as online as goons/Nazis, so therefore don't understand the racist imagery, and accepted the more wholesome sounding explanation without question.

https://twitter.com/addamschloe/status/1318542830093193217?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

People will get ones with the idea of signifying to other Nazis they're a Nazi and then use the other explanation for everyone else.

I also feel most professional tattoo artists (at least in the UK/Europe/USA) could reliably identify tattoos that Nazis get frequently. They probably should have hired a couple as consultants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also again I can not believe the history channel of all places couldn't find someone who knows nazi numerology.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/poko_hahaha/status/1318654414605877248

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

there wolf posted:

It's always telling how they frame it as a mental health issue and then pivot to 'so everyone just has to deal' instead of calling for better mental health treatment.

I've developed a weird parasocial relationship with Chris Evans by watching Sunshine too many times while really drunk and high followed by interview clips of him having just absolutely nothing but distain for the whole Marvel thing. I imagine it will fade once I can go to proper bars again and develop weird boundary-crossing social relationships with other patrons.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Like, maybe I'm missing something but why is someone with influence saying objectively correct things about sex work IOSM?

Well first off I originally posted it only having seen the cropped version, but really that first sentence has massive Joss Whedon/Wil Wheaton/etc energy, "straight het cis white nerdy science man" lmao gently caress offff

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

well, if my memory's correct, that'd be more or less the first good opinion anyone in the John Green circle has ever had.

Also yeah I'm not inclined to give Hank Green the benefit of the doubt

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I mean why get a Nazi tattoo, and then tell people it is actually not a Nazi tattoo?
Shot in the dark here but maybe so they could get on tv

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

White supremacists generally know when it's unacceptable to express their opinions, and have enough of a range of intelligence and willpower that many are willing and able to just lie and maintain plausible deniability to get things they want. That's what dogwhistles are for, to signal to other Nazis that they're out there while skating along enough not to lose employment and stuff. I mean, sure, they assume lots of white people secretly agree with them and condone their beliefs, but usually when you have a Nazi or other white supremacist going around publicly and loudly declaring their beliefs in an unambigious manner, it's because they're in a stronghold of white supremacy or they've deliberately decided to martyr themselves for a bigger point.

Like, okay, even in the deep South where there's a lot of small all-white enclaves of deeply engrained societal white supremacy, people riding around with confederate flags everywhere will put on the thin mask of 'it's not about race'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Shot in the dark here but maybe so they could get on tv

I enjoy that this, on face reading, does not specify whether they lied about it to get on TV or they got the nazi tattoo to get on TV :v:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Splicer posted:

You think that's bad, you should see the outside

I laughed at this post, so thank you for that

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Splicer posted:

Just the little man

Again, Splicer off the top rope, nice

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

hyperhazard posted:

Kind of glad I didn't build up a 13 year posting history with a Nazi symbol, tbh.

Buddy, you’ve got no idea.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Regardless of the connotation, using your birth year in your handle is pretty lame and best avoided anyway.

I was young, dammit!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

PetraCore posted:

White supremacists generally know when it's unacceptable to express their opinions, and have enough of a range of intelligence and willpower that many are willing and able to just lie and maintain plausible deniability to get things they want. That's what dogwhistles are for, to signal to other Nazis that they're out there while skating along enough not to lose employment and stuff. I mean, sure, they assume lots of white people secretly agree with them and condone their beliefs, but usually when you have a Nazi or other white supremacist going around publicly and loudly declaring their beliefs in an unambigious manner, it's because they're in a stronghold of white supremacy or they've deliberately decided to martyr themselves for a bigger point.

Like, okay, even in the deep South where there's a lot of small all-white enclaves of deeply engrained societal white supremacy, people riding around with confederate flags everywhere will put on the thin mask of 'it's not about race'.

At least they're wearing a mask at all. :P

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/torinickswho/status/1318577867442188289?s=21

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe non nazi birdwarriors should take back 88 like the did with the ((( )))s

also maybe they should also stop being birdsite warriors.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

How do you get verified as a fictional character?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bony tony posted:

How do you get verified as a fictional character?

I dunno, but it's really common.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like if you have the ability to levitate everywhere then the dead water fluoride junk food can't be doing you that much harm.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Procrastine posted:

Also yeah I'm not inclined to give Hank Green the benefit of the doubt

What'd Hank Green do? Something reasonably doltish from an internet person, or something really gross?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

When you bend over backwards that far are you able to lick your own rear end?

:rolleyes: It’s just dumb to cede completely innocuous symbols to such a small subset of people. If Trump starts flashing the OK sign or puts 88 in his Twitter handle then fine whatever, but don’t let fascists have something just because of some idiots on social media.

And yes I know 1488 well predates Twitter but I would put good money on the vast majority of Americans not knowing the meaning.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

there wolf posted:

What'd Hank Green do? Something reasonably doltish from an internet person, or something really gross?

I'm not a Green Expert, haven't read their books or watched their Content but from what I've heard they're just kind of twats who've built their identity around how nerds are better than non-nerds, no major incidents to point to. Idk I just don't like them!

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Disliking him is totally fair. I'll just say that having only recently started seeing some of his social media activity, he comes off as a good person who has moved past that nerd4life mentality. Of course, he's human, so by the time I'm done writing this he may have been outed as a sex pest nazi.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Procrastine posted:

I'm not a Green Expert, haven't read their books or watched their Content but from what I've heard they're just kind of twats who've built their identity around how nerds are better than non-nerds, no major incidents to point to. Idk I just don't like them!

what this guy said, but also there's some creep factor to an adult man building a fanbase of teenage girls that all have a weird parasocial relationship with him

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Woozie66 posted:

Disliking him is totally fair. I'll just say that having only recently started seeing some of his social media activity, he comes off as a good person who has moved past that nerd4life mentality. Of course, he's human, so by the time I'm done writing this he may have been outed as a sex pest nazi.

Hes done some really good stuff, but also spent far too much time on Tumblr and pandered a bunch to that crowd. But his Crash Course series on youtube is really good and well put together.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

what this guy said, but also there's some creep factor to an adult man building a fanbase of teenage girls that all have a weird parasocial relationship with him

bad news about teenage girls, they'll build that weird parasocial relationship even if you actively try to avoid it

citation: i was a teenage girl

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StillFullyTerrible posted:

bad news about teenage girls, they'll build that weird parasocial relationship even if you actively try to avoid it

citation: i was a teenage girl

well, john green didn't so much "actively try to avoid it" as he did "barrel straight into it deliberately" which is why it creeps me out a little.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

well, john green didn't so much "actively try to avoid it" as he did "barrel straight into it deliberately" which is why it creeps me out a little.

https://youtu.be/5W64pLR3WjM?t=199

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

I'll have you know that regular baths in 5G are very relaxing. What else do you want me to bathe in, dead water? I do add a little fluoride though, for the feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

loving exactly