Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

John Lee posted:

Is this different at all? Backwards-whip bat-killing was my standard strat in the first game.

The overall strat is similar, it's just that the whip hitboxes feel slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anything for Front Mission 4?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wanted to say thank you to whoever brought up Paradise Killer, was a fun little game with a great atmosphere.

I will say, I'd change some of the advice. There's always enough blood crystals around that you should try to activate the footbaths as you find them for upgrades. Same with the vending machines until you unlock their reward.

By the end of the game i had unlocked a fair amount of fast travel locations and was fast traveling back and forth across the island and still had 40+ crystals.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've heard it isn't great overall but found it sitting in my library anyway from some old sale - anything for Elminage Gothic?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

food court bailiff posted:

I've heard it isn't great overall but found it sitting in my library anyway from some old sale - anything for Elminage Gothic?
Asked the same thing a page ago and haven't gotten anything yet, but a little bit of advice I can already personally give is to get the Infinite Magic Map mod that is linked on the Elminage wiki. It basically makes it so that instead of having to buy stacks and stacks of magic maps repeatedly, you can just buy one and use it like you would use the map button in any other game. It's a serious improvement.

Second bit of advice: this game works like the Might & Magic series in that you don't automatically level up just from experience, you have to return to the town and sleep repeatedly to actually gain the associated character level. You don't want to go too deep into the first dungeon until you've got a few levels under your belt. There is no easy way back out that I've yet found.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone got some hints for Elminage Gothic?

Sure--these are from the 3DS version which I understand got some significant QOL improvements so they may not apply 100%, but will hopefully be good enough.

Combat damage works oddly in Elminage Gothic. You generally don't do very much damage--this is compensated by getting multiple blows in a single "attack," which raise as you gain levels. This holds true for monsters too--high level monsters will often attack dozens of times per "attack". Each one of those attacks gets a separate roll against the target's AC. So the only consistent way to reduce combat damage if you're getting hammered is to improve your AC as much as you can, so more of those attacks whiff each round.

Every class in the game has value, and you should probably experiment with all of them. All classes can get special skills when they reach High Master level (level 26, 32, or 36 depending on the class) and even seemingly-mediocre classes can get very powerful at High Master, e.g Thieves.

Extra skills you pick when creating your characters are pretty important. Some of them are worthless, some of them are very valuable, and some of them are class-specific. You can change them for a fee that gets more expensive the higher your level, or when you change class. Your life will be a lot easier if at least one of your party picks the healing song for their skill.

The best characters in the game are summoned monsters converted into PCs using a Summoner extra skill, as they have innate resistances better than any player-made PCs can have. However it requires an obscene amount of grinding to get to a place where you can utilize the best summons like this. Also summons converted into PCs can never change class, or they lose those innate resistances.

Some races aren't available when you start off--you have to unlock them. Most have advantages that the stock races don't, especially Devilish characters.

The one character class that is non-negotiable is Alchemist. You need an Alchemist in every party, especially if you intend to tackle any of the post-game dungeons. In addition to their spells, high-level Alchemy is practically a requirement as you'll need to beef up your equipment.

Summoners are very powerful, but it's best to class-change to a summoner after you've spent some time in other caster classes. The only thing a pure summoner can do is summon and recruit monsters--a "pure" summoner is a very weak class. Speaking of summoners, virtually any monster can be recruited by a summoner, though some have very high resistance to recruitment spells. High Master monks can reduce resistance, including recruitment resistance, with chain strikes, so Monk + Summoner is often a good combo.

The only real use for class changing is to acquire new spells. Frontline class-->another frontline class is almost always not worth doing. You should settle into your final class as soon as possible as you get sent back to level 1 when you class change and you need very high levels to survive in later dungeons.

Changing classes has another price--there is some equipment that can only be used by characters that have never changed classes. This equipment falls into two categories: "nice to have but not essential" and "ungodly powerful." However most of the "ungodly powerful" stuff isn't available until the very end of the final bonus dungeon.

Thieves are very versatile once they hit High Master. You can use them to unequip all of a monster's equipment and then steal it. There are many, many items that you can only get this way. You can even steal "natural" weapons this way--like the beak off a cockatrice or the claws off a dragon. They work the same way on characters too--you can steal a vampire's teeth, then use them to bite monsters and level drain them. However "monster" equipment is very frequently cursed.

Unless you're an absolute masochist or cheat, you probably won't have the patience for the grinding needed to finish the final bonus dungeon. You need levels in the high hundreds-thousands to survive on the upper levels there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks, that's all very helpful! Looks like I'll be setting up a completely new party, then. No pure summoner, deffo alchemist, and making sure that I get a character with Healing Song, I can do that. What are other classes and skills you'd recommend? Fighter and Valkyrie seem like good damage dealers early on, a healer seems only middlingly essential and mages make for good spike damage. A thief I might stick with just because there are so many trapped chests all over the place. What the main benefit of a Bishop, other than the identify thing?

And yeah, I am not big into grinding, so I already installed a mod increases XP rates a bit. Will make catching back up to current levels easy enough.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks, that's all very helpful! Looks like I'll be setting up a completely new party, then. No pure summoner, deffo alchemist, and making sure that I get a character with Healing Song, I can do that. What are other classes and skills you'd recommend? Fighter and Valkyrie seem like good damage dealers early on, a healer seems only middlingly essential and mages make for good spike damage. A thief I might stick with just because there are so many trapped chests all over the place. What the main benefit of a Bishop, other than the identify thing?

And yeah, I am not big into grinding, so I already installed a mod increases XP rates a bit. Will make catching back up to current levels easy enough.

Bishops are a really good "final" class for a caster as they natively cast both Priest and Magician spells. Characters can cast up to 9 spells per spell level for spell schools they're native casters in, but only 3 for non-native casters. E.g. if you were an Alchemist and changed to Priest you'd be able to cast a maximum of 3 spells/Alchemist spell level but 9 spells/Priest spell level

Here's an overview of all the classes (names might be different because again I played it in Japanese)

Fighter: Generic but decent character, can equip most stuff. After they hit High Master their damage output increases as they level. Other classes do this too, but Fighters have a larger damage increase as they level than any other class.

Magician: Most powerful mage spell user. After they hit High Master their mage spell power starts scaling with their level.

Priest: Most powerful priest spell user. Can dispel undead and strike spirits without needing to use special weapons or spells. At High master, their priest spell power starts scaling with their level, and their Dispel ability hits all enemies at once, plus they gain experience for any undead they dispel.

Thief: Can use thief skills (trap disarming, finding secrets, hiding/ambushing, etc). At High Master their damage output starts scaling with their level, and they gain an ability to unequip enemies' items and another and steal things from enemies' inventory (you can't steal equipped items from enemies)

Alchemist: Critical class--most powerful alchemy spell user. Can either power-up equipment with minerals or combine minerals to make special items. At High Master their Alchemist spell power starts scaling with their level, and their alchemy skills do too--the minerals they use essentially increase in power as they level. Also they gain the ability to "undo" alchemy on equipment and reclaim the mineral they used. Alchemizing equipment is practically a requirement for survival in the more difficult dungeons.

Herbalist: Weak fighting class with the ability to auto-use herbs to heal and cure aliments at the end of a round. Also has the ability to use Magic Herbs to restore spell points. Their status ailment resistance also scales with their level which is really nice. At High Master level their attack power starts scaling with level and they restore double spell points with Magic Herbs. Not the most useful class on its own because it's so starved for equipment--probably best transferred into with some spells learned from another class.

Bishop: Another almost-essential class. Casts Mage and Priest spells, but gains them at a very slow rate. Can dispel undead and identify items. At High Master their Mage/Priest spell power starts scaling with level, but at a lesser rate than a pure Mage/Priest would.

Hunter: Fighter/Thief hybrid. Can use thief skills, but not as well as a pure thief. Has a command that allows them to strike first in a round. Really good with bows--at the end of the round will auto-attack one enemy afflicted with a status ailment if they're equipping one. At High Master level they start with damage scaling, and their auto-attack applies to every enemy with a status ailment. Also while they don't gain spells, Hunters can cast Alchemist skills natively--if you switch a maxed Alchemist to a Hunter they'll retain 9 spells/level.

Gladiator: Basically a Monk from other games--a front-line fighter with a bunch of unique abilities. Their AC naturally improves with level, but most equipment will negate this bonus. The bonus gets huge at higher levels so you need to pay close attention to what they equip. Their greatest ability is a multi-attack; after they finish each attack they have a 50% chance to attack again. If they get 3 attacks in they have a chance to do a "Clean Hit" which reduces enemy resistance for the next attack/move. This includes "recruitment" resistance for Summoners, so Clean Hit--Cast Recruit is a good combo for tough-to-recruit monsters. At High Master level Gladiator starts damage scaling like other front-line classes and their chance to "clean hit" also starts scaling with level.

Bard: Fighter/Mage/Thief hybrid, but not particularly good at any of those 3. Can use instruments (which can be quite powerful) but their star ability is Tarot, which allows them to use incredibly powerful and useful abilities, though they have a chance of backfiring that increases with each use. At High Master level their attack power starts scaling with level and the backfire rate of Tarot slows down.

Kannagi: Shinto priest class that's like a light fighter that specializes in fighting undead. Can dispel undead and hit spirit-type enemies natively, and also can use instruments. Can also create a barrier that reflects enemy magic. At High Master level their physical attacks start scaling and they get the really odd ability to equip Fuda (a weapon type) in any equipment slot. IMO Kannagi is the worst class in the game--they can't cast spells, they're weak fighters and have very little good equipment, and if you try to boost their damage output by equipping lots of Fuda it tanks their AC making them worthless as frontliners. Since Fuda are mostly ranged weapons, they're probably best used as backliners after having them learn spells in other classes first.

Summoner: A one-trick pony class--they can cast summoning magic and that's it. There are two Summon spells for each spell level--a "recruit" spell and a "summon" spell. Summoning is complicated--when you cast a "recruit" spell you have to pass 3 checks against the monster's summon resistance first--2 checks if they're much lower level than you or 4 checks if they're much higher. If you succeed against all of these checks you've recruited the monster and can summon it with your "summon" spell until you overwrite that spell level by recruiting a new monster into it. Summoners can also pick special skills on character creation that can convert summons into permanent party members, or "fuse" different levels of recruited monsters together. At High Master level summoned monsters' abilities start scaling with the summoners' level, and they can get very potent this way. A pure summoner is a pretty worthless class so there are two ways to use them--gain summoning spells and then change to another class, or gain Mage/Priest/Alchemist spells and then change to a Summoner. You only get summon power scaling with the latter option though so that's usually better.

Valkyrie: Fighter/Priest hybrid. Gains Priest spells slowly and can dispel undead and natively attack sprits. At High Master level their attack power starts scaling like other frontliners, and they gain the ability to use spears one-handed. A pretty solid class but doesn't have any super-exceptional abilities.

Lord: Another Fighter/Priest hybrid. Gains priest spells slowly, can dispel undead, and their status ailment resistance increases with level. At High Master level their attack power starts scaling, and they get the OP ability to add a portion of their status ailment resistance to the rest of the party. It's really hard to survive in the later dungeons without this ability unless you go whole-hog into adding resistances to equipment via Alchemy.

Samurai: Mage/Priest hybrid. Gains Mage spells slowly, can dual-wield any one-handed weapon. At High Master level they get frontliner attack scaling. They also get the signature ability to completely negate and counter incoming physical attacks. It doesn't always happen but is extremely useful, and very frustrating when enemies use it against you.

Ninja: Absurdly powerful Fighter/Thief hybrid. Gets basic thief skills (not as good as a pure thief), the AC reduction skills of the Gladiator/Monk, and has a chance to automatically stop surprise attacks or auto-hide at the beginning of a fight. They also have a chance that scales with level to outright decapitate enemies with every attack. At High Master level they get standard frontliner attack scaling, but also the ability to completely ignore range when barehanded in terms of what they can attack.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Great, thanks. I think that's everything I need to know at this point. Appreciate the help.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This game you guys are talking about sounds more and more like old school Wizardry which has me considering picking it up even with Mixed reviews on Steam. :thunk:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It is, in fact, an old-school Wizardry-like, which is why I originally bought it as well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cardiovorax posted:

It is, in fact, an old-school Wizardry-like, which is why I originally bought it as well.

It's scratching the itch for me really well. It's janky in all the right ways. Tempted to break out the graph paper and do it properly instead of just screenshotting Magic Maps every so often.

Granted, I'm still VERY early on in the first dungeon.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Daemon X Machina:

The ice cream clue should probably specify (after 20 ice creams and Rank C)
Optimal range will ~double your damage with most weapons, but ~triples it with pistols and sniper rifles. Blades have this stat hidden.
Much of the content is hidden in the coop modes, but all coop missions are reasonably solo-able
The best way to get rare/3 slot equipment and the only way to get level 4/5 attachments is Exploration missions, the purple console.
Slot Expansion attachments can be glitched to go with any item in the same category by sorting attachments.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaodai posted:

This game you guys are talking about sounds more and more like old school Wizardry which has me considering picking it up even with Mixed reviews on Steam. :thunk:

Japanese gamers fuckin love Wizardry for some reason

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Presumably because Wizardry was fuckin' awesome.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zaodai posted:

It literally is. It's made by StarFish, which developed the Japan-only Wizardry Empire games. While I understand the mainstream Elminage titles are different, Elminage Gothic is Wizardry Empire with the serial numbers filed off.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Just so you know, there's also another Elminage game and a Japanese Wizardry game on Steam as well:

Elminage ORIGINAL - Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of the Gods

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Just so you know, there's also another Elminage game and a Japanese Wizardry game on Steam as well:

Elminage ORIGINAL - Priestess of Darkness and The Ring of the Gods

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

Thanks for the heads up. I had already picked up Lab of Lost Souls when it first came out, but I'll keep the other one in mind. :toot:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anything I need to know for journey to the savage planet? Picked it up on PS4.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SiKboy posted:

Anything I need to know for journey to the savage planet? Picked it up on PS4.

Not really. Nothing is missable, make sure you take a look in every nook and cranny and behind each patch of tall grass for secrets, it's a game where areas are gated behind equipment and such, so don't worry if there's a place you can't reach yet.

Oh right there is a couple things: always try to scan everything you can, and do your science objectives as soon as possible.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's stuff on the wiki, but I have a vague impression that No Man's Sky has seen a lot of changes over the years. What basics should I know?

I know there's crafting of some sort, is this one of those games where I should get a mod that has a catalogue of recipes if I don't want to waste time experimenting or looking up wikis?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That is definitely a good idea. There are a lot of crafting combinations that you can enter into a fabricator to produce certain things, some of them incredibly valuable and some of them not so much. There are sortable Google Docs lists that are linked on the NMS wiki, I would suggest making use of these.

And yeah, the game has gone through tons of changes since release, way too many of them to really list them all. One recommendation I would give is to install a translation mod or something like that - in-game word-finding is a thankless grind and hardly any NPC ever has anything useful to say anyway, so at best it's tedious busywork for little gain.

One new thing is that after you have played for... I think three hours in a single session you can travel to a new system and there will be an armada of pirates attacking a trade convoy. That convoy is important and if you save it, the captain of the freighter will gift it to you when you talk to him. It's basically a free mobile base that you can call into the orbit of most planets. I think you get that opportunity repeatedly if you don't take it right away, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Otherwise, I think you might be better off with a proper walkthrough, because the game is stupid complex and full of various semi-hidden systems that would go way beyond the scope of this thread to list them all.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cool, thanks. I ran around a bit shooting plants and rocks with lasers until I died of radiation poisoning. Google says find a cave. Off to a good start!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That part, annoyingly, hasn't changed. The game will always dump you on a planet with damaging atmosphere to start with. My personal recommendation there would be to beeline for your "crashed ship" symbol as quickly as you can because the game only really starts once you get there. While you do that, pick up yellow plants whenever they are reasonably on the way because you can use the Sodium to restore your environmental shielding through your player menu.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Beeline the resources for the battery as it gives a lot better return than just slamming in sodium (and I think it's easier to get those resources too)

Once you have a refinery keep in mind that compressed carbon is much better fuel than regular carbon and you'll save fuel by refining regular into compressed and then fueling with that compressed.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
For No Man's Sky:
Compressed Carbon is a much better fuel supply but I've always found so much carbon around that I've never had a problem. Carbon is everywhere, just use that if you don't want to mess with the refineries.
You will never make money fixing up crashed ships and selling them. Feel free to grab and sell them for a tiny profit, but if you were dreaming of making your money by fixing crashed ships (like me) it's not actually possible.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Compressed carbon stacks the same and early on inventory space can be a challenge.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything for Metroid: Other M?

(no, I already have it and still wanna beat it; yes, I've noticed it's visibly worse than the Primes; yes, I'm convinced I can bear Samus' characterization and cringeworthy writing)

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I just finished Judgment and I have a tip for the wiki:

You can carry a limited amount of healing drinks and first-aid kits. The healing drinks don't really heal all that much so don't forget that you can hoard convenience store sushi, bento boxes, and ramen cups to help get through tough boss fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Anything for Metroid: Other M?

(no, I already have it and still wanna beat it; yes, I've noticed it's visibly worse than the Primes; yes, I'm convinced I can bear Samus' characterization and cringeworthy writing)

The game is basically completely linear with no real path deviations, so don't worry about missing anything. Even if you do, there is a post game where you can collect all the stuff you missed and has an extra bossfight as a reward for getting everything that has no plot, its just for fun.

If you get told "let yourself get cooked alive running through lava" no, there isn't a secret way to get anti-lava powers first. What the game tells you to do it expects you to do, no matter how stupid.

The dodge in combat is absurdly broken, there is no penalty for using it constantly and trivializing all encounters

Remember how to use power bombs, as they will be the only move in the game where you are allowed to break authorization to use them. This moment occurs at the veeeeery end of the game so also don't think you're missing something earlier. Im mentioning this only because a lot of people had their wills broken by the game and didn't realize here at the end you were supposed to do the smart thing it had denied you all game.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 17, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

The game is basically completely linear with no real path deviations, so don't worry about missing anything. Even if you do, there is a post game where you can collect all the stuff you missed and has an extra bossfight as a reward for getting everything that has no plot, its just for fun.

If you get told "let yourself get cooked alive running through lava" no, there isn't a secret way to get anti-lava powers first. What the game tells you to do it expects you to do, no matter how stupid.

The dodge in combat is absurdly broken, there is no penalty for using it constantly and trivializing all encounters

Remember how to use power bombs, as they will be the only move in the game where you are allowed to break authorization to use them. This moment occurs at the veeeeery end of the game so also don't think you're missing something earlier. Im mentioning this only because a lot of people had their wills broken by the game and didn't realize here at the end you were supposed to do the smart thing it had denied you all game.

I'll have to remember that last bit. As it is, I'm gonna beat this game through spite alone, for completedness' sake. I can't imagine how it's possible to miss the point of Metroid so hard. Maybe I'll amuse myself by trying to find elements that weren't pissed on by the new devs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

I just finished Judgment and I have a tip for the wiki:

You can carry a limited amount of healing drinks and first-aid kits. The healing drinks don't really heal all that much so don't forget that you can hoard convenience store sushi, bento boxes, and ramen cups to help get through tough boss fights.

Speaking of, something I recently read in the Yakuza thread I think:

It’s not really intuitive unless you’ve played Yakuza 6 or Kiwami 2, but healing items give EXP and the hidden effect of one of the best ones (Hug Bomb Omega I think) gives a lot. Even though the game never notifies you, you just have to chug healing items and notice by yourself I guess!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just beat Metroid: Other M and I have one thing to add:

Regarding Super Missiles: instead of aiming and holding A it's better to start charging the beam in 3rd person view and *then* switch to aiming, lock on with B, then immediately release the beam button, firing an already pre-charged S-Missile. This will save your rear end when dealing with harder enemies and bosses.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anything for Genshin Impact?

Let's assume I'm happy to spend some money if necessary, or at the right time.

Is there anything I should be aiming for, or any gotchas I should watch out for in the progression?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anything for Death End Re;Quest?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's almost certainly the most influential Western game to ever hit the Japanese industry. Really cool story.

I remember an old joke that the divergence between JRPGs and WRPGs was because Japanese players preferred Wizardry and Western players preferred Ultima.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Game Maker's Toolkit did a video on it and made I believe that very same point quite earnestly and well-reasoned.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Game Maker's Toolkit did a video on it and made I believe that very same point quite earnestly and well-reasoned.

Yeah, it was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJiwn8iXqOI

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How do I get a tip onto the wiki? I realized that the horse auto rides to your destination if you use the cinematic cam in Red Dead Redemption 2 and I think that might be useful for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

How do I get a tip onto the wiki? I realized that the horse auto rides to your destination if you use the cinematic cam in Red Dead Redemption 2 and I think that might be useful for others.

You've already done enough - I've added the tip.