Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bakalakadaka posted:

What's the latest hotness with SSDs? The last time I upgraded a pc I put in a 500gb SSD and a 1tb HDD and it looks like SSD prices are way lower since then. Any reason not to just get a new 2tb SSD? Any brands or specific models to avoid?

samsung is too much for the performance but i've been happy with my 1tb m2 and 2tb ssd that I got recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Some Goon posted:

Yes. In theory they could try and say your CPU has a bad memory controller or something but I don't see that happening. They're selling what's on the box, trying to weasel out of it would be bad PR. Excepting things like Zen1 that just had a lackluster memory controller architecturally.

It's amazon and they're pretty good with returns in my experience. I had someone suggest to bump the voltage on the sticks slightly and see how that performs so i'll have a play with the Ryzen DRAM calculator today and the voltage and see how that pans out. If it's not playing ball I'll just order new sticks and return these when they arrive.

I've decided I'll buy a new PSU too, looking into it yesterday I realised it's over 5 years old and I think out of warranty.

Then I'll join the queue of people waiting for 3080's :negative:

Thanks all.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm planning to get a new PC soon (basically once zen3 benchmarks come out and I decide what I want).

Reinstalling all my software and setting things up right seems like a giant PITA - is it possible to just take my boot drive and stick it in a new PC and have everything work?

a month ago i upgraded win7 to win10 and then cloned with macrium reflect and it worked flawlessly, so the answer is yes, even if its not widely recommended. havent had a single conflict or problem that i could trace back to that, just trivial things like trouble getting the computer to sleep (fixed with help from the win10 thread)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hambeet posted:

It's amazon and they're pretty good with returns in my experience. I had someone suggest to bump the voltage on the sticks slightly and see how that performs so i'll have a play with the Ryzen DRAM calculator today and the voltage and see how that pans out. If it's not playing ball I'll just order new sticks and return these when they arrive.

I've decided I'll buy a new PSU too, looking into it yesterday I realised it's over 5 years old and I think out of warranty.

Then I'll join the queue of people waiting for 3080's :negative:

Thanks all.

Just put your email in for notifications on EVGA and save yourself some sanity.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kingnothing posted:

Just put your email in for notifications on EVGA and save yourself some sanity.

Yeah I'm not going to play the f5 game. I'm going to look at it again early next year I think. The RX 570 is running noticeably better, so my old CPU was clearly bottlenecking it. So I'm happy to wait for now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm planning to get a new PC soon (basically once zen3 benchmarks come out and I decide what I want).

Reinstalling all my software and setting things up right seems like a giant PITA - is it possible to just take my boot drive and stick it in a new PC and have everything work?

Yes, but your Windows key is tied to your CPU/Mobo combination, so you will need a new license. You can buy them in SA Mart for ~$15USD.

You can also get 256GB thumb drives for <$20 on Newegg, so that may be an easy way to transfer stuff if you want a clean install.

Third option would be to transfer the drive with all of the files as a secondary drive, but that can get wonky with Windows Boot Manager and multiple installs...

Really, though, getting everything installed on the new system probably won't take more than a day. It's not that much :effort:.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

CaptainPsyko posted:

tl;dr, using an ATX PSU means giving up your top mount front fan, or running a GPU under 240mm in length (read, not a 3080). And the specific PSU you have isn't just any ATX PSU, it's a long boi. It ain't gonna fit, I don't think.
Oh, whoops. I found some reddit post about someone fitting a Corsair RM850 in an nr200p with the ATX bracket, and since I'm out of town I just looked up the two PSUs' dimensions, but I guess the old newegg page for the Seasonic (which said it was exactly the same size as the RM850) had the wrong measurements?

Would I be better off waiting for the Corsair SF750 to come back in stock, or just getting this 750w Seasonic? (if it fits -- it's ATX but 140mm long, so it sounds like it'd fit in the higher position?) Would the Seasonic be worth the trouble if it fits, since it has a 12-year warranty compared to the 7-year one on the Corsair? Like, would it be a safer bet quality/reliability-wise?

Also sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a 750w PSU be enough for the 3080, a 5800x or 5600x, and maybe a 2.5" SSD in addition to the SF750?

Anyways, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
x-post from the Elite thread:

Shine posted:

VR benchmarks comparing the 2080ti to the 3080 in VR: https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-ampere-vs-turing-the-rtx-3080-vs-the-rtx-2080-ti-fcat-vr-performance-benchmarked/

The difference is pretty nuts. I finally beat the scalpers/bots to place an order last night (fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled), and I'm hella excited to go from a 1080 to a 3080. It's gonna be so nice playing at 120hz without reprojection.

:popeye:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ningyou posted:

Oh, whoops. I found some reddit post about someone fitting a Corsair RM850 in an nr200p with the ATX bracket, and since I'm out of town I just looked up the two PSUs' dimensions, but I guess the old newegg page for the Seasonic (which said it was exactly the same size as the RM850) had the wrong measurements?

Would I be better off waiting for the Corsair SF750 to come back in stock, or just getting this 750w Seasonic? (if it fits -- it's ATX but 140mm long, so it sounds like it'd fit in the higher position?) Would the Seasonic be worth the trouble if it fits, since it has a 12-year warranty compared to the 7-year one on the Corsair? Like, would it be a safer bet quality/reliability-wise?

Also sorry if this is a dumb question, but would a 750w PSU be enough for the 3080, a 5800x or 5600x, and maybe a 2.5" SSD in addition to the SF750?

That Seasonic is really good? I have the gold version and it rocks socks.

And yes, that should be more than enough with that setup. I went with 850 to give myself some headroom, but nvidia only recommends 750w for a 3080 and EVGA's website says a system like that will only need ~650w or so. :shrug:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ningyou posted:

750W ought to be plenty.

SF750’s are like the NR200 in that they seem to regularly become availiable and sell out quickly, so I would keep looking for one until it’s The Day You’re Putting Parts In The Case.

If you wanted a backup option in case you don’t find one, the silverstone SFX 700 Watt PSU’s (availiable in gold or Platinum) are readily availiable on Amazon and seem fine (I have one of the plat’s I need to return because I found an SF750 at microcenter the other day) and Amazon return policy right now is “until January” so that’s real easy.

There’s also a 750W SFX offering from Silverstone and one from Seasonic supposedly due out in the next few weeks, but I haven’t heard any hard dates for availiability aand obviously, new product no reviews, etc. but they’re both reputable companies, so :shrug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So how much of a disaster is getting a 3070 going to be? My friend and I will be attempting to order one for him at launch so he can be ~cyberpunk ready~ and I know its gonna be a poopshow.

I saw that EVGA has a notification program where they queue you up, but that appears to be for 3080 customers only?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yes, but your Windows key is tied to your CPU/Mobo combination, so you will need a new license. You can buy them in SA Mart for ~$15USD.

You can also get 256GB thumb drives for <$20 on Newegg, so that may be an easy way to transfer stuff if you want a clean install.

Third option would be to transfer the drive with all of the files as a secondary drive, but that can get wonky with Windows Boot Manager and multiple installs...

Really, though, getting everything installed on the new system probably won't take more than a day. It's not that much :effort:.

If it's a win10 install and you made an ms account then it's just tied to the ms account. If not you can often get it reactivated via phone support but keys are so cheap I can't say I'd bother.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

buglord posted:

So how much of a disaster is getting a 3070 going to be? My friend and I will be attempting to order one for him at launch so he can be ~cyberpunk ready~ and I know its gonna be a poopshow.

I saw that EVGA has a notification program where they queue you up, but that appears to be for 3080 customers only?

No idea.

In theory the lower tier card should have higher yields, and the 3070 also will be using cheaper/more plentiful DDR6, and they delayed the launch to have more stock on launch day. At least that's what they claimed. So it should be less scarce in absolute terms.

Historically xx80 cards have been harder to get than xx70 cards on launch just in general. They were always kind of stupid, just not THIS stupid.

On the downside it's cheaper so demand may be even more absurd. Or maybe the crazy people are all fixated on getting the 3080 and 3090 and won't "settle" on a 3070?

Basically it'll probably be hard to get, but just how hard to get is :iiam:

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

x-post from the Elite thread:

:popeye:

How did you beat the scalpers/bots? I want to build my first pc with a 3080, but yea... lol

Contemplating buying a prebuilt with a 3080 or just a 2080ti and upgrading when I get a 3080.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BeastRAGE posted:

How did you beat the scalpers/bots? I want to build my first pc with a 3080, but yea... lol

Contemplating buying a prebuilt with a 3080 or just a 2080ti and upgrading when I get a 3080.

Be careful with prebuilts, sometimes you can’t fit larger cards in them. It’s why I’m moving cases/motherboards/cpu this week.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Some Goon posted:

If it's a win10 install and you made an ms account then it's just tied to the ms account. If not you can often get it reactivated via phone support but keys are so cheap I can't say I'd bother.

Did they change that? Because it used to be you had to tie the key to your MS account in order to register the copy with your CPU/Mobo so you didn't need a key to reinstall?

BeastRAGE posted:

Not my get, but the benchmarks are :2bong:

As for prebuilt or not, if you want to build a rig now: I'd recommend just getting an EVGA 2070 and register for the step up program to a 3080. Price difference should be negligible, so you'll only owe a couple of bucks.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

Did they change that? Because it used to be you had to tie the key to your MS account in order to register the copy with your CPU/Mobo so you didn't need a key to reinstall?

Not my get, but the benchmarks are :2bong:

As for prebuilt or not, if you want to build a rig now: I'd recommend just getting an EVGA 2070 and register for the step up program to a 3080. Price difference should be negligible, so you'll only owe a couple of bucks.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Be careful with prebuilts, sometimes you can’t fit larger cards in them. It’s why I’m moving cases/motherboards/cpu this week.

Thoughts on this prebuilt with 3080?
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali451/p/N82E16883360035?&quicklink=true

Maybe would be best to wait for AMD's event at end of the month and see how they stack up to the 3080 power/price wise.

I shouldnt let impatience get the best of me T_T

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BeastRAGE posted:

Thoughts on this prebuilt with 3080?
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali451/p/N82E16883360035?&quicklink=true

Maybe would be best to wait for AMD's event at end of the month and see how they stack up to the 3080 power/price wise.

I shouldnt let impatience get the best of me T_T

That’s all off the shelf parts, even the case and motherboard, so there isn’t much that’ll limit you in the future.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Qwertycoatl posted:

is it possible to just take my boot drive and stick it in a new PC and have everything work?

I moved an existing Windows install to a new motherboard and CPU earlier this year without any trouble: just had to re-enter the windows key one time, no ms account or other fuckry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'll probably be ok but ymmv

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BeastRAGE posted:

If you wanna build you should build and the lack of 3080 availability shouldn’t stop you. Building is super rewarding, and 100% worth it IMO.

If you can’t wait for them to become widely available, then buy a 2080 or 2070 super from EVGA and do the step up program. It’ll guarantee you a 3080 at msrp, and you can basically play everything right now on ultra or near it and high FPS.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Ineptitude posted:

motherboard is ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming, Socket-1151
Chipset is the Z270 part of the name iirc?

How do i know if they are sharing a PCI lane?
I tried reading the manual but can't find anything warning against this, but im not really sure what i am looking for either

I didn't see anything obvious in the manual either. As an experiment you could see if swapping the SATA port or M.2 port you have devices plugged into makes any difference? Process of elimination

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

I didn't see anything obvious in the manual either. As an experiment you could see if swapping the SATA port or M.2 port you have devices plugged into makes any difference? Process of elimination

I took a look at that manual. My ASUS board’s manual screams over and over about how m.2 sata takes up sata ports 1+2. This manual doesn’t mention it at all, so I think that’s not an issue here. This board also only has 4 sata ports and mine has 6 (Maximus gene).

Is your m.2 in slot 1(front of board) or slot 2(back of board)? If it’s in slot 1, slot 1 supports both sata and PCI-e. You should check in BIOS and validate the port isn’t set to sata mode. If it’s in slot 2 that’s not the issue.

If the BIOS already has it in PCI-e mode, I’d probably try the other m.2 slot first.

Have you ran any smart status tools on the drive? It’s very possible you got a bad drive. If you don’t have backups your at a point of huge risk.

What does the disk activity section in task manager say? It’s possible Lightroom is going nuts and writing a shitload of data all the time.

Did you install the driver for your m.2 card (yes that could be a thing)?

This is the order I’d troubleshoot this problem:

1. Verify smart status (because this is quick).
2. Validate pci-e mode in bios.
3. Validate all drivers and windows updates.
4. Switch m.2 slots
5. Disconnect non-m.2 drive.
6. Clean install windows and see if it’s better (even better if you can do it without destroying your current install).

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Heya, I'm considering building myself a new beasty pc along the lines of a 3900 and a 3080, what should I know about mobos/cooling/cases when it comes to a new build with these ingredients? Recommendations? It's been almost a decade since I last built a pc.

Also looking for recommendations for a decent beginner drawpad, I want to get one for my SO as a gift along with my current ~gaming laptop~ and she was stoked about the idea.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

junan_paalla posted:

Heya, I'm considering building myself a new beasty pc along the lines of a 3900 and a 3080, what should I know about mobos/cooling/cases when it comes to a new build with these ingredients? Recommendations? It's been almost a decade since I last built a pc.

Also looking for recommendations for a decent beginner drawpad, I want to get one for my SO as a gift along with my current ~gaming laptop~ and she was stoked about the idea.

What's your goal? Assuming gaming? Any plans to overclock, size/space requirements, etc? You can pretty much go in any direction nowadays, and the market has diversified enough to where you can watercool or air cool anything.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

buglord posted:

What's your goal? Assuming gaming? Any plans to overclock, size/space requirements, etc? You can pretty much go in any direction nowadays, and the market has diversified enough to where you can watercool or air cool anything.

Yeah, planning to play games mostly, not really looking to overclock but not opposed to it as long as my setup doesn't get super loud, the box can be pretty much whatever size as long as it fits under my desk. And yeah, I was messing around on partpicker and was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice so I came over to look for recommendations and to avoid any pitfalls.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

buglord posted:

you would think that between delaying the launch, having some experience with a bad launch and having taken some of the pressure off by at least selling some 3080s that the 3070 launch would be smoother. i dont really have any experience with previous launches but i would hope that between that and amd cards coming out that it shouldnt feel as bad even if you cant get one on day one

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

vanilla slimfast posted:

Ill try that!

Kingnothing posted:

I took a look at that manual. My ASUS board’s manual screams over and over about how m.2 sata takes up sata ports 1+2. This manual doesn’t mention it at all, so I think that’s not an issue here. This board also only has 4 sata ports and mine has 6 (Maximus gene).

Is your m.2 in slot 1(front of board) or slot 2(back of board)? If it’s in slot 1, slot 1 supports both sata and PCI-e. You should check in BIOS and validate the port isn’t set to sata mode. If it’s in slot 2 that’s not the issue.
I used the one in the back

Kingnothing posted:

Have you ran any smart status tools on the drive? It’s very possible you got a bad drive. If you don’t have backups your at a point of huge risk.
Have not run any tools, what tools are those, specifically?

Kingnothing posted:

What does the disk activity section in task manager say? It’s possible Lightroom is going nuts and writing a shitload of data all the time.

Its writing 5 MB/s and using about 3gb of ram. I honestly don't know if it did that when i ran photos off of HDD. I have 8gb of ram on my PC, task manager claims im using 90-95% constantly while LR is running, hwoever if i add up the whole list of processes it doesn't really look like they reach 7,5gb (just a quick skim, not an actual sum)
Honestly tempted to buy another RAM stick. I opted for a single 8GB stick when i built this pc ~2 years ago and they still have the exact same sticks at the store and for fairly cheap as well.

Kingnothing posted:

Did you install the driver for your m.2 card (yes that could be a thing)?
Nope, no drivers.
I don't tinker much with computers but in the last decade or so it is my impression that everything has gotten so plug and play so i didn't really look up if M.2 drives needed drivers at all.

Kingnothing posted:

This is the order I’d troubleshoot this problem:

1. Verify smart status (because this is quick).
2. Validate pci-e mode in bios.
3. Validate all drivers and windows updates.
4. Switch m.2 slots
5. Disconnect non-m.2 drive.
6. Clean install windows and see if it’s better (even better if you can do it without destroying your current install).

The first four should go quick enough. Not sure i can disconnect the SSD, the OS is on that. Number 6 is a last resort! :D

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Have not run any tools, what tools are those, specifically?

Its writing 5 MB/s and using about 3gb of ram. I honestly don't know if it did that when i ran photos off of HDD. I have 8gb of ram on my PC, task manager claims im using 90-95% constantly while LR is running, hwoever if i add up the whole list of processes it doesn't really look like they reach 7,5gb (just a quick skim, not an actual sum)
Honestly tempted to buy another RAM stick. I opted for a single 8GB stick when i built this pc ~2 years ago and they still have the exact same sticks at the store and for fairly cheap as well.

I just checked and there’s no driver, so it’s not that, but you’ve told us the problem, which is 90-95% ram utilization. Any system will crawl at that ram utilization, especially when you try to add more stuff on top of it.

It’s probably worse with the nvme cause the drive can keep up better.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

junan_paalla posted:

Yeah, planning to play games mostly, not really looking to overclock but not opposed to it as long as my setup doesn't get super loud, the box can be pretty much whatever size as long as it fits under my desk. And yeah, I was messing around on partpicker and was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice so I came over to look for recommendations and to avoid any pitfalls.

Big changes from 10 years ago for the build I just did (after 10 years):

PSUs are a lot better, get a gold-rated one or better, but good luck finding them with current supplies. I actually bought my PSU when it was available and bought everything else a week later when it was convenient for me. I generally don't recommend buying parts at different times, because it's much easier to do a return than an RMA, but COVID.
:shrug:

Next big change is the CPU market: AMD is king again. Intel is overpriced/underperforming. You're already set on a 3900, so it may be worthwhile for you to wait for Zen3 in a few weeks. A 5800X will be better and around the same pricepoint?

Case construction has gotten a lot better, what used to be premium is now standard. Meshify is popular, but as long as you get all of the features you want, it shouldn't matter. One day I'll get a Lian Li case, because I've always thought of those as the premium money-sink for a case, but I went with Phanteks for this build and I love it!

AIO Water Coolers are the new hotness, but Ryzen's are so cool that a 140mm tower cooler will do just as well and probably be quieter that a radiator. The Noctua U14S is a thread favorite. I combined mine with a full tower case with three 120mm fans for intake on top and it stays cool as you please!

M.2 nvme drives are the new default boot drive. If you haven't had one yet, they are amazing. It's basically a giant stick of ram that gets used as a hard drive (I mean, it's nothing like that, but essentially).

Oh, and the best change from 10 years ago is that you no longer have to trawl through Anandtech to find what you want: https://pcpartpicker.com/ can help you theorycraft builds and compatability easily. Be careful, though, it will check QVL lists but not physical dimensions: you'll need to make sure your GPU fits in the case and your cooler fits on the mobo. It's a lot to take in, but start with you CPU, then get a compatible mainboard, add the ram, and move out from there. Pick brands you like (or just remember as being good) then post the build here. If there is anything out-of-line, the thread will point out that X sucks now and Y is the same performance at a better price, etc.!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Big changes from 10 years ago for the build I just did (after 10 years):

PSUs are a lot better, get a gold-rated one or better, but good luck finding them with current supplies. I actually bought my PSU when it was available and bought everything else a week later when it was convenient for me. I generally don't recommend buying parts at different times, because it's much easier to do a return than an RMA, but COVID.
:shrug:

If you buy parts from Amazon, you have until January to return them anyway, which makes this a lot easier.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A story in a few pictures. Some backstory, I just built a new PC and I wanted it to have RGB. I'm also a noob at RGB, so I bought regular 4-pin RGB fans (that work fine with my motherboard) and an 3-pin ARGB CPU fan. Ended up buying a separate ARGB controller just for the CPU fan.

So, the store listing on the controller shows these labels (and it's not like I went to go refer to these pictures when installing):

It came, labeled this way:

Cool, I thought, I just need to plug my CPU into the D and G pins.

What's that smoke...? Oh, just the melting ground pin to the CPU fan.

RIP Thermaltake UX100. Turns on, fan spins and the RGB is still working, but I'm guessing 5V to the ground fried all the ICs.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 21, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is it safe to say / consensus that if you're thinking about getting a i9 10900 right now to wait until the 5950x comes out to see how it'll compare?

I already have been waiting on an upgrade for the new nvidia cards and we've seen how that's gone...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is it safe to say / consensus that if you're thinking about getting a i9 10900 right now to wait until the 5950x comes out to see how it'll compare?

I already have been waiting on an upgrade for the new nvidia cards and we've seen how that's gone...

Yes, if you're looking to drop $$$ on the absolute top end you may as well wait ~two weeks to see if that changes (not counting availability).

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Protocol7 posted:

A story in a few pictures. Some backstory, I just built a new PC and I wanted it to have RGB. I'm also a noob at RGB, so I bought regular 4-pin RGB fans (that work fine with my motherboard) and an 3-pin ARGB CPU fan. Ended up buying a separate ARGB controller just for the CPU fan.

So, the store listing on the controller shows these labels (and it's not like I went to go refer to these pictures when installing):

It came, labeled this way:

Cool, I thought, I just need to plug my CPU into the D and G pins.

What's that smoke...? Oh, just the melting ground pin to the CPU fan.

RIP Thermaltake UX100. Turns on, fan spins and the RGB is still working, but I'm guessing 5V to the ground fried all the ICs.

drat, that sucks man :(

Made me think of an issue I might be facing soon. I currently have two Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM case fans, and they're connected to the single case fan header on my motherboard via the included Fractal Design PWM signal splitter. They're kinda loud at the permanent 60% speed I've set them at, so I've picked up a couple Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 fans. They did not come with a splitter, but would it be inadvisable to use the Fractal Design splitter?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

drat, that sucks man :(

Made me think of an issue I might be facing soon. I currently have two Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM case fans, and they're connected to the single case fan header on my motherboard via the included Fractal Design PWM signal splitter. They're kinda loud at the permanent 60% speed I've set them at, so I've picked up a couple Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 fans. They did not come with a splitter, but would it be inadvisable to use the Fractal Design splitter?

I have two NF-P14s redux-1200 on a splitter in the front case of this rig, and three of these on a splitter connected to the other fan header:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V32FKVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really depends on how much current your motherboard can supply through the fan headers as far as I know.

Replacing one of the RGB fans with a Thermaltake AIO since Best Buy is the only place I can buy PC parts in my town and the Thermaltake AIO is the only one they had in stock that was also RGB. Comes with its own controller as a bonus.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Kingnothing posted:

I just checked and there’s no driver, so it’s not that, but you’ve told us the problem, which is 90-95% ram utilization. Any system will crawl at that ram utilization, especially when you try to add more stuff on top of it.

It’s probably worse with the nvme cause the drive can keep up better.

I cant claim i looked much at the task manager to see the RAM usage when i culled photos off the HDD but i never had this terrible performance on the PC with lightroom running.
Could the issue be that i open photos too fast and LR keeps them in memory for a certain amount of time, so since i open more photos in less time LR ends up using a lot more RAM?

Im currently using 1x 8GB RAM stick, which is strangely future-proofy of me as i can just buy another one of the same stick and double my RAM. Im using 2400MHz RAM atm, is there any point in buying faster RAM? (aka 2 entirely new sticks instead of reusing my current one)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I cant claim i looked much at the task manager to see the RAM usage when i culled photos off the HDD but i never had this terrible performance on the PC with lightroom running.
Could the issue be that i open photos too fast and LR keeps them in memory for a certain amount of time, so since i open more photos in less time LR ends up using a lot more RAM?

Im currently using 1x 8GB RAM stick, which is strangely future-proofy of me as i can just buy another one of the same stick and double my RAM. Im using 2400MHz RAM atm, is there any point in buying faster RAM? (aka 2 entirely new sticks instead of reusing my current one)

My guess would be that they’re being processed so much quicker that they sit in memory longer. Or that so many more are being processed simultaneously. I don’t use LR so I’m not familiar with its process. It’s also possible something else is wrong, but 95% ram utilization would cause your exact issue.

You can get 2x8 3200 for like $50-$60. Unless you can find a 1x8 2400 for half that or less (I don’t think you will) I’d get 2x8. In addition to the faster speed (which you won’t notice all that much) running 2 DIMMs from different vendors in the same channel is a decent performance hit.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

I’ve been running a frankenstein setup for some years now. Occasionally upgraded to a newer used GPU. I’m wondering would I gain any noticeable performance by upgrading my CPU/MB/RAM to lets say Ryzen 3600 platform?

My setup:
Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.2GHz (6c/12t)
DDR3 3x8GB 1600MHz RAM (triple channel)
Nvdia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB (2035/8400)
SATA 500GB SSD AND a random HDD for data

I got 6100 points in 3D Mark Time Spy which is more than “most” 2020 gaming laptops with i7 and 2060 (according to 3D Mark).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The next time I decide I’m going to migrate parts from a prebuilt, just kick me directly in the balls.

Anyone who is thinking of ever doing that, you’ll probably run into proprietary mountings for a CPU cooler that you won’t expect until you have the actual cooler off. God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

okay so I did a dumb. the memory I thought was on the QVL wasn't. I read the wrong number somehow. It's fine at 3200, but when playing with the Ryzen RAM calc I can't get it to run stable at 3600 safe unless I start winding back the timings and my first attempt at that prevented it from POST. Should I just return it and buy another kit off the QVL or do you think it's worth persevering with this set?

edit: I'm not wedded to this set, and I'm also just thinking of not bothering with 3600 because I only spent $10 more than a 3200 kit because I got it on sale....

hambeet fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 21, 2020