Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wasn’t it like there was no up button because you had to hover the cursor over the elevator panel, then wheel-scroll up to get it to display the up button?

There is just so much happening on the elevators that both up AND down buttons can’t fit on the panel at the same time. I’m excited for real-life elevators not to display all of the floors I can go to unless I tap a couple buttons and swipe around like Minority Report first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

From a non believer, to a currack in 1 day posted:

TL;DR - I hated this game, without even trying it... What an idiot. Now that Ive tried it, my friends have had a hard time getting me off it!

Hello,

So the first time I "played" star citizen was in 2015, with the release of the hub in arc corp you could walk around with friends in. I wasnt amused, as I was younger, and less wise about what it takes to make a regular game, let alone something like this project.

I told all my friends what a "scam" this game is, and that backers were just letting devs drive ferraris blah blah. You have heard it all. I was a very salty anti star citizen player, and would mock anyone who gloated about it.

Now, I'm a little older, little wiser. I decided to play during the freefly event, to see what has changed since 2015...and holy poo poo.

The visuals are something to be awed at, seeing arc corp for the first time sent me into another realm. The immersion of the city, the things you could see/do there. I was instantly hooked.

I had no loving clue what I was doing, as I had nobody to play with as I was too embarrassed to ask all my friends who I've been calling suckers over the years I wanted to check it out. I found some random people in various stations and I would ask them for assistance, and that's when I realized that this entire community, is some of the most kind hearted, generous helpful communities I've ever experienced in my gaming life. Each player personally took hours out of their day to show me things, let me fly their ships, even gave me in game credits so I could have some spending money.
It shows me that everyone In this community just wants this dream to work, and come true.

I started watching dev videos, and interviews. And never have I seen a game, sooooooo engaged with the community, and allowing each member no matter the level of pledge, speak their voice and take it into consideration.

I was hooked. I purchased the carrack standalone with a seperate pledge, and I've been on every night since. I have ate my pride and ego, I let all my friend who I've been talking about to over the years I'm back into it. They were very happy I was coming Into their world, and even happier when they found out we all own a currack!

I'm Soo happy to join this journey with you all, and watch this amazing project grow to new heights. I've already got my eyes on some new ships! Waiting until November. :D

Thanks for reading. And any advice you have to a new player feel free to send it over.

quote:

Good read. Out of curiosity, back in 2015 when you turned extremely anti-star Citizen, was there any youtuber, article or some self-proclaimed gaming prophet who may have influenced you to behave that way?

quote:

I mean, I wouldn't doubt it, I was younger, so my inability to think for myself, and form my own opinions definitely played a factor. Im sure I read an article or two, or saw a few videos but nothing I remember in particular.

I was also heavily involved into elite dangerous, so the people I was hanging around with were kind of imposed to hate on SC anyway.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Man these people wrap up a lot of their self-worth in a video game. Patting yourself on the back for finally being sophisticated enough to enjoy a lovely space simulator is something else.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Abongination posted:

The races I’d planned for weren’t in the game, neither were the ships and there was like 6 planets or whatever. This whole living world Id planned for was just reskinned everquest and I was incredibly let down.

I guess a lot of citizens never had that experience.

Take the following lines with a grain of salt, since I'm typing this with my nostalgia glasses on:

Depends on when you joined the game, pre- or post NGE.

From 2003-2005 the game was the best sandbox mmo there was. And then they ruined it all since they saw the numbers of Everquest and WoW and wanted to be more like them.

The whole economy was player-driven and players built their own community hubs and trading malls. Your guns, armour, heal packs and pretty much everything else were 99% made by other players. There was housing with a ton of furniture options as well as trophies and decorations. The game forced you to socialize with players in cantinas to get rid of your character's combat stress. Their space expansion was amazing, there were only 3 multi-crew ships, but you could run around in them and do things, while someone else piloted it. The character system was based on skill trees and not classes and you could create all kinds of fun hybrids and there were a ton of crafting professions as well as the best pet class every made in any mmo. And the planets were huge and you had access to vehicles and creature mounts to explore them. Also no ganking since pvp since it was about flagging either as Imp or Reb and the battles were big group battles like in early WoW.

Where there bugs and weird poo poo and game mechanics that did not age well? Of course. But all in all it was a unique game that gave players a ton of freedom. I really loved SWG and it's a shame how it ended.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 20, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

all that needs to happen for Star Citizen to be finished is for the singularity to occur so an AI can redo the entire thing overnight

that already happened. you're playing star citizen right now

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

NPC Emotional States posted:

NPC EMOTIONAL STATES

This idea came to mind after watching SQ42 The Briefing Room - Episode 1 where Phil Meller (Lead Designer SQ42) goes into 'Interrupt Tech' and how it works. What if we had 'Emotional Tech'? The idea behind this 'Emo Tech' is the live simulation of non-player emotional states to give another layer of depth to the already deep tactile gameplay. NPC's as they go about their daily lives should also be affected by this simulated quantum environment (Persistent Universe) enabling them to express how they 'feel' in response to external/internal stimuli. So in concept, a player could stop at a kiosk to buy something to drink only to find that the employee is having a noticeably bad or good day and all of this emotional data could be conveyed through animations, voice acting, etc. Maybe along the course of this NPC's daily journey, it got stopped by the police (Interdicted) which lowered his happiness meter for example. Of course, these emotions need to be tied in with animations and other game logic to truly bring something like this to life. But imagine 'Interrupt Tech' + 'Emo Tech' could possibly = the most realistic simulation of NPC's that mankind has ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uR8lJFbMY

quote:

Already essentially planned as part of the economic server.

Fixed location NPCs are supposed to be as reflective of their environments as the environment is. If the economy is booming and security is high things are clean and NPCs will be generally pleasant. If the economy is tanking or security is dropping the are will start to show wear/tear, trash, graffiti and the NPCs will not be as pleasant.

Location based NPCs are also supposed to have a full life cycle where they eat, sleep, work and play throughout the day.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

that already happened. you're playing star citizen right now

my god... the fidelity is incredible

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If I was stuck in a t pose vibrating imperceptibly with someone inside my model ib think it would affect my emotional state so this is very true to life

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

sebmojo posted:

If I was stuck in a t pose vibrating imperceptibly with someone inside my model

That's my fetish

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Fetal alcohol syndrome

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
mashing my space junk against the elevator panel then introducing Space Covid to the New Hobbitonian peoples of Neo Space Zealand. the cloaked fleet of all-powerful space mutant sugar cane beetles rub their chilacerae gleefully.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Fetal alcohol syndrome

All the characters in this look like Mass Effect characters, specifically Mass Effect 1. A game from 2008.

And that thing about the environment changing effecting emotional state of NPCs feels like it originally had "and too many ethic people around" before it was cut out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

mashing my space junk against the elevator panel then introducing Space Covid to the New Hobbitonian peoples of Neo Space Zealand. the cloaked fleet of all-powerful space mutant sugar cane beetles rub their chilacerae gleefully.

Sounds pretty rad! Now for a sixteen page essay on how that will definitely affect the emotions and DNA of the NPCs, leading to new and emergent gameplay hitherto unheard of by mankind.

It all began in 1919, when...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jesus.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Never stop gurning

e: I do applaud Chris for doing this 3AM post-coke bender mocap session, clearly the hardest working guy in the company

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That vloggers name... Anita Sarkeesian

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its not that people that play elite hate star citizen, its just that people that play elite know exactly what a bare-bones no depth flying game looks like.

and star citizen has even less than what those people are used to

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dewgy posted:

Sounds pretty rad! Now for a sixteen page essay on how that will definitely affect the emotions and DNA of the NPCs, leading to new and emergent gameplay hitherto unheard of by mankind.

It all began in 1919, when...

picking through a sack of organs, comparing stat boosts, when i stumble across a curious trait... aparently the New Hobbitonians people have +5% Antiseptic genitalia. fascinating. (tosses Dicks into the Dick Grinding Machine to make cargo space for more hearts)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

picking through a sack of organs, comparing stat boosts, when i stumble across a curious trait... aparently the New Hobbitonians people have +5% Antiseptic genitalia. fascinating. (tosses Dicks into the Dick Grinding Machine to make cargo space for more hearts)

its hard to spot the real fakes from the fake fakes now tbh

now on CD-ROM
Oct 21, 2020

by Pragmatica
Can't wait to "log on" to this game......................if you know what i mean haha

hemanoncrack
Jan 23, 2003

I AM WET

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Eh, I sit on my couch with my laptop on my actual lap so it's difficult to use a joystick. I might try the game out sometime.

Are you me? Cause this is me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Reminds me of the Eve Online character editor they introduced…8 years ago… :corsair:

(All random characters)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hey man Eve has a great character creator, easpecially how it's mostly slider free and you can just sort of drag your character's face around.

Shame they never did anything with it (like 4 years' development just wasted)...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Fetal alcohol syndrome

They've achieved what BioWare did over a decade ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
loving EVE had a better character creator years ago

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They've achieved what BioWare did over a decade ago.
And it only took them 8 years! Give em another 8 (and another 200M+ in funding) and we're talking Mass Effect: Andromeda quality of faces.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Statutory Ape posted:

its hard to spot the real fakes from the fake fakes now tbh

imagine Diablo style inventory management but for your physical organs.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

imagine Diablo style inventory management but for your physical organs.

What happens when you accidentally move your heart or liver into your backpack? I want fidelity in the ensuing death.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strategic Tea posted:

Hey man Eve has a great character creator, easpecially how it's mostly slider free and you can just sort of drag your character's face around.

Shame they never did anything with it (like 4 years' development just wasted)...

Mario 64 had this years ago!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mario 64 had this years ago!

Not gonna lie. I spent a lot of time yanking his nose around.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

quote:

Not using the bit system. Kills information bottlenecks? posted:
A bit looks like this
True
/
\
False.

What if we used something like this: *

\|/
-x-
/|\

An octa system. Software wise.
Would it pay back on the information flow?
Or can we only use bitcode cause hardware only uses bits?

Would coding bits into octa's speed up things?

My new ascii “goatse” bit looked good in the comment preview but looked like poo poo when I posted it so I guess you have to use your imaginations :(

vaginite fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 22, 2020

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Facebook Aunt posted:

I assume if they are revising the elevator panels, entering the elevators no longer results in death. Progress!

I suppose floating through the floor and getting stuck under the map forever does not count as death so that can be considered a win and a 0.00000001% increase to the roadmap

Starcitizen development continues with victories on all fronts!

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 22, 2020

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Eve's character generator is far superior.

"Man Face Missiletits"

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

All the characters in this look like Mass Effect characters, specifically Mass Effect 1. A game from 2008.

And that thing about the environment changing effecting emotional state of NPCs feels like it originally had "and too many ethic people around" before it was cut out.

Ehh... it's a little better then ME1, maybe Mass Effect 2.

Still, SC is really showing it's age. Even comparing it to ME2 means it looks like a game that was published in 2010 rather than a game that started developed in 2011.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rust Martialis posted:

Eve's character generator is far superior.

I'm still mad that they butchered Backdoor Bandit.

vs

https://images.evetech.net/characters/696271586/portrait

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Will handcuffs be a thing in-game? posted:

So ive taken over a ship, will i be able to handcuff them and out them on their knees or will they just be standing, able to pull out their pistol etc

quote:

So is your whole thing just that you want to execute restrained prisoners for a power trip?

quote:

Yes

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
demanding a gameplay loop where they take me hostage but i bite down on my poison tooth and then spit the poison in their face and they die screaming but too much of the poison enters my own system so i also die, and the ship floats on in space on autopilot till it eventually leaves the universe, traveling through the vast void of nothing betwixt the stars, bumping up against a huge space-squid which grapples it and immediately crams it in its keister

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The real Stimpire was in the brain of each individual Star Citizen all along

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what is the stimpire? seems to have been scrubbed from CIG's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

what is the stimpire? seems to have been scrubbed from CIG's site.

based on your av i assume this is some sort of stimpire loyalty test