Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the #1 Overall Pick
This poll is closed.
Anthony Edwards 17 26.98%
Cole Anthony 3 4.76%
James Wiseman 12 19.05%
LaMelo Ball 19 30.16%
Other 12 19.05%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone tell me what a KAT Toppin front court would be from a defensive perspective

It'd be the worst defense in the league by a lot. And I'm not even sure I'd love the offense that much unless they got a second ball handler or the wings developed a little, but I think I'm a lot lower on D'lo than consensus.

Also on the "worst comp" question from earlier there is an article on that athletic today where they ask agents for anonymous quotes about a bunch of stuff. It is most notable for someone who represents players in a league that is 2/3 black being a cowardly baby and anonymously whining about the players associating themselves with "all that black lives matter stuff" (while also implying that they're all a bunch of idiots and being tricked into it) but also features someone who I can only assume represents James Wiseman comping Wiseman to Bam, which is my new worst comp answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Strong agree on Wolves needing another ball handler, especially for the HC. Its a reason I think Ball is the choice if they don't move the pick and intend to keep the player. There's the shooting focus for the Wolves but I think their offense will be held back if D'Lo is constantly on-ball.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

It'd be the worst defense in the league by a lot. And I'm not even sure I'd love the offense that much unless they got a second ball handler or the wings developed a little, but I think I'm a lot lower on D'lo than consensus.

Also on the "worst comp" question from earlier there is an article on that athletic today where they ask agents for anonymous quotes about a bunch of stuff. It is most notable for someone who represents players in a league that is 2/3 black being a cowardly baby and anonymously whining about the players associating themselves with "all that black lives matter stuff" (while also implying that they're all a bunch of idiots and being tricked into it) but also features someone who I can only assume represents James Wiseman comping Wiseman to Bam, which is my new worst comp answer.

james wiseman: bam adebayo if bam was worse at defense, didn’t have a motor, and couldn’t pass

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

james wiseman: bam adebayo if bam was worse at defense, didn’t have a motor, and couldn’t pass

and was 4 inches taller

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Lamelo would also be good for when Dlo gets hurt for 35 games like he does every other season

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

and was 4 inches taller

it’s true, you can’t teach height

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
In a normal draft year is there any chatter about how player workouts go? Or does that only happen after the fact?

Just wondering if there’ll be a new round of info/rumors once teams start holding their individual workouts.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Boonoo posted:

In a normal draft year is there any chatter about how player workouts go? Or does that only happen after the fact?

Just wondering if there’ll be a new round of info/rumors once teams start holding their individual workouts.

usually there's some. Markelle Fultz had a rough workout with the Celtics and it was leaked before the draft and before the phili trade. Lakers wouldn't shut up about lonzo's workout.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Heres a fun fact, when kat and dlo were on the floor together this season the wolves had a defensive rating of 143, and I for one am interested in seeing if they can get that any higher

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Katana_Warrior posted:

usually there's some. Markelle Fultz had a rough workout with the Celtics and it was leaked before the draft and before the phili trade. Lakers wouldn't shut up about lonzo's workout.

Cool! I imagine anything that comes out is going to be strategically leaked and potential misdirection, but I'm here for all of it.

There was a Lowe Post a while back that had the author of, I think, a sixers book talking about the Markelle Fultz workout. It sounded real rough.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There's already a little bit of it, if you have ESPN+ Mike Schmitz just did an article about workouts for Maxey, McDaniels, Josh Green, and Tyler Bey, and I've seen a few people talking about how good Wiseman has looked at his workouts.

I would guess you'll get a lot of stuff especially about the Warriors loving someone based on a workout, they've been talking a ton this cycle about how they love basically every possible lottery pick to try to entice teams to trade up with them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Algund Eenboom posted:

Heres a fun fact, when kat and dlo were on the floor together this season the wolves had a defensive rating of 143, and I for one am interested in seeing if they can get that any higher

Isn't the sample size of that only like five minutes

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

But it seems that the Knicks’ interest in Haliburton is not as strong as the other prospects such as two-way wingman Isaac Okoro whom the they have “inquisitively scouted and liked from the jump” according to Ian Begley of SNY.

Prohm said he’s never met with the Knicks yet and admitted that his communication with them was just confined to text messages.

“I have not talked to the Knicks personally. Just a little bit of texts with one of the guys that’s new over there. But that doesn’t mean that my staff has not talked to them. I don’t ask them all the teams they talk to,” Prohm told Empire Sports Media.

I know its the covid era and all, but it seems less than ideal your prospect research and evaluation consists of having some rando employee send a couple of texts to the guys' head coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hali would be a really bad fit there so probably for the best

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Okoro suddenly getting Bam Adebayo comps is bad for him. Whenever someone has a breakout year and someone gets comped to them, you're in for sorrow. The canonical example is Deangelo Russel being compared to Steph Curry

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Okoro's draft status is so baffling to me because all the writeups are like, "If you're looking for a 3 and D wing, Okoro is the best of the lot! The only problem is he can't shoot,"

Meanwhile Vassell is sick on D and shot over 40% on threes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's very weird! I can actually kinda see some Bam in his game but he's like five inches shorter lol. The best case comp for him is something closer to Butler this year.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

every description i've read on Okoro makes him sound like Stanley Johnson 2.0

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Isn't the sample size of that only like five minutes

It was 25 minutes ACTuALLY

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

okoro’s a really good passer and defender so the adebayo thing isn’t ridiculous

i don’t think he’ll do well on the knicks

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Not sure who the knicks would draft that wouldnt be a bad decision tbh... vassell i guess

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vassell would be good, tyrell terry would be a hell of a reach but he’ll probably be good off the ball, patrick williams would probably be good, killian hayes would be good if he falls

i like okoro but he’s yet another wing that can’t shoot

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

vassell would be good, tyrell terry would be a hell of a reach but he’ll probably be good off the ball, patrick williams would probably be good, killian hayes would be good if he falls

i like okoro but he’s yet another wing that can’t shoot

Please do NOT send killian hayes to the knicks. THank you

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Is Killian Hayes a primary ballhandler, pick and roll running type player? Cause that's what the Knicks desperately need.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

every description i've read on Okoro makes him sound like Stanley Johnson 2.0

Okoro is a lot more athletic. Johnson can't really jump so he had really bad finishing numbers in college despite being built like a tight end. Okoro shot like 65% at the rim and had an insane free throw rate. Also think he's a better ball handler and passer. Worse shooter though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tanglewood1420 posted:

Is Killian Hayes a primary ballhandler, pick and roll running type player? Cause that's what the Knicks desperately need.

Extremely yes. His biggest issue is that he kinda stinks off ball right now because he's never had to do it. He's a great pick and roll passer and way better shooting off the dribble than he is off the catch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This draft suuuucks at the top

quote:

Timberwolves haven't identified a top target in 2020 NBA Draft, president Gersson Rosas says

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

With the first pick in the 2020 NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Vernon Carey Jr.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just take the usc guy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

This draft suuuucks at the top

it’s anthony edwards or lamelo ball, they just need to pick one

i think they’re hoping to trade it for a vet along with james johnson’s contract but uh nobody has anyone that wants that pick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s anthony edwards or lamelo ball, they just need to pick one

i think they’re hoping to trade it for a vet along with james johnson’s contract but uh nobody has anyone that wants that pick

Terry Rozier's available!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone said Belly, Richaun, #12, and a future top 5 protected pick for #2 and I got interested for 5 seconds before deciding otherwise

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Dennis and #25 for #1 cowards

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Dennis and #25 for #1 cowards

Minnesota is married to D'angelo Russell as pg, Schröder was better last year, but in an environment where he didn't have to make plays against the best defenders. I don't know if you trade #1, even in a bad draft, for a sixth man, even a really good sixth man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sato and 4 for 1.

who says no.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just tell me which underwhelming player the Pistons should draft

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just tell me which underwhelming player the Pistons should draft

I actually think they're in a good spot because they can take guys I actually like without it pissing people off because it looks like a wild reach by the ESPN board. Killian, Okongwu, or Vassell would all be great picks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Which bust will the Knicks draft this year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RCarr posted:

Which bust will the Knicks draft this year?

If they draft Vassell (which seems kinda likely given where they're picking and with him being a CAA guy) I will immediately change course and say his jumper is actually broken. And please stay away from my sweet killian. Let someone who I don't like that much like Hali or Okoro get that Knicks stink instead, it was very satisfying when they took RJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hornets apparently had Killian in for an interview. They don't seem jazzed about Ball so if he drops to the third pick I could see them trading back a few spots. At this point I don't know if Hayes will last to eight, though