Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Best as I can figure, yes, the weight of the cable + channel torqued the AP off its mount. Why didn't the retention clip hold it in place?

Uh, because it's designed to hold the weight of the AP, not the off-balanced load of what appears to be at least 10' of cable and channel trying to twist it off the clip? I'm sorry, this isn't an engineering defect, especially since it sounds like it all fell off at once, so it was a dynamic load rather than a static load.

On the other hand, what AP is that? That mounting plate looks really small - mine are almost the size of the APs themselves, and have a steel plate that backs it up on the backside of my ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ROJO posted:

Uh, because it's designed to hold the weight of the AP, not the off-balanced load of what appears to be at least 10' of cable and channel trying to twist it off the clip? I'm sorry, this isn't an engineering defect, especially since it sounds like it all fell off at once, so it was a dynamic load rather than a static load.

On the other hand, what AP is that? That mounting plate looks really small - mine are almost the size of the APs themselves, and have a steel plate that backs it up on the backside of my ceiling.

My nanohd's are pretty small. I threw away the metal plate as I recall.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

H110Hawk posted:

My nanohd's are pretty small. I threw away the metal plate as I recall.

Metal plate is for when you mount it on a drop ceiling tile and you bolt it tight to the clip. When you mount to a drywall ceiling you use the anchors and it's up there really solid. I have my Ethernet drops coming in from the ceiling so if anything there's an upward pull though.

I did notice that when I needed to take one down last week it was pretty hot though, for what that's worth.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

TraderStav posted:

Metal plate is for when you mount it on a drop ceiling tile and you bolt it tight to the clip. When you mount to a drywall ceiling you use the anchors and it's up there really solid. I have my Ethernet drops coming in from the ceiling so if anything there's an upward pull though.

I did notice that when I needed to take one down last week it was pretty hot though, for what that's worth.

Yeah, they're definitely meant for drop ceilings, but I went ahead and used 'em since I had ready access via the attic and had to run the cat6 up there anyways. Definitely overkill, but I try to avoid drywall anchors if there is ever another solution.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ROJO posted:

Yeah, they're definitely meant for drop ceilings, but I went ahead and used 'em since I had ready access via the attic and had to run the cat6 up there anyways. Definitely overkill, but I try to avoid drywall anchors if there is ever another solution.

I had 24" of blown in insulation to sweep away just to find the plank to walk on in my attic. No loving way would I have been able to locate the spot to bolt it lol. Good on you, these things are really light so it definitely is overkill but it's nice to do things in a way you never have to think about.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Upgraded to fiber last month and everything seems to be running well. I'm offloading my old cable modem and some Ubiquiti stuff on SA-Mart if anyone is interested

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
e: oops pls disregard

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ROJO posted:

It's definitely an engineering defect. There's a slot you're supposed to poke a shim into to unlock the AP off its bracket. It's supposed to be a theft-deterrent measure. I have an older (and larger) AP-AC-LR that I installed at work. That one DOES have a working clip. I can only assume they just scaled everything down by 15% with the new smaller shells and if it doesn't work 100%, welp.

I can fix this, I just need to grab some adhesive urethane foam from my desk at work to slightly bend the locking arm downwards with a little more force and things should be copacetic again.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

What's actually wrong with Java (server-side)? Sure, some Java apps are poorly written dumpster fires, but there are plenty of examples of those no matter the language used.

Because the lovely controller only supports Java 8. Java's now at version 15, so you must install a version from 2014 that's missing six years of security patches.

I bought a NanoHD a while back and my view is that it's... adequate. Decent 5g performance, middling 2g performance but a completely moronic controller. Once I set up the AP with the controller, I uninstalled that poo poo off my pc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's definitely an engineering defect. There's a slot you're supposed to poke a shim into to unlock the AP off its bracket. It's supposed to be a theft-deterrent measure. I have an older (and larger) AP-AC-LR that I installed at work. That one DOES have a working clip. I can only assume they just scaled everything down by 15% with the new smaller shells and if it doesn't work 100%, welp.

I can fix this, I just need to grab some adhesive urethane foam from my desk at work to slightly bend the locking arm downwards with a little more force and things should be copacetic again.

It's not clear, but was that plastic trunking not attached to the wall at all, and you were just hanging it off the cable?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Rollie Fingers posted:

Because the lovely controller only supports Java 8. Java's now at version 15, so you must install a version from 2014 that's missing six years of security patches.

Just install a version like Adopt Open JDK or one of numerous others that has backported patches.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

withoutclass posted:

Just install a version like Adopt Open JDK or one of numerous others that has backported patches.

"Just install <lovely hack> to fix it" for an active, paid subscription service is an automatic no from me

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
My friend just bought a house that has ethernet and cable jacks in every single room. All of these are routed to a central closet in the middle of the house. Each wall plate has a green ethernet jack and an orange one, and there's a bundle of green ethernet cords coming into the closet and a bundle of orange cords. Also a bundle of coax cables going to each coax jack in each room.

Obviously, you could easily set this up to have two separate wired networks. But what is the best way to go about setting up networking in this house? I'm not really sure what could be done by having two separate wired networks, or if it would be beneficial to just have them all on the same network. House was built in 2017, and the wall jacks say cat 5e, and I would guess they probably did cheap out and use cat 5e since it's not a custom home. Any ideas?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Put all the green on a normal switch and the orange into a poe switch. Cat5e is fine.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

"Just install <lovely hack> to fix it" for an active, paid subscription service is an automatic no from me

What's the active, paid subscription part of this? Is this talking about Nest or UI?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

withoutclass posted:

That's what I did the second time I needed to use the controller.

Ubiquiti documentation is so awful that unless you've been balls deep in their product line for years, all the useful information is found on youtube tech channels and searching their forum.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

sellouts posted:

What's the active, paid subscription part of this? Is this talking about Nest or UI?

My guess is they're referencing that you can get paid support from a couple of the places that offer their JDK for free. Which is one way places like Adopt OpenJDK can do things like offer backported security fixes to old JDK versions.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

MonkeyFit posted:

My friend just bought a house that has ethernet and cable jacks in every single room. All of these are routed to a central closet in the middle of the house. Each wall plate has a green ethernet jack and an orange one, and there's a bundle of green ethernet cords coming into the closet and a bundle of orange cords. Also a bundle of coax cables going to each coax jack in each room.

Obviously, you could easily set this up to have two separate wired networks. But what is the best way to go about setting up networking in this house? I'm not really sure what could be done by having two separate wired networks, or if it would be beneficial to just have them all on the same network. House was built in 2017, and the wall jacks say cat 5e, and I would guess they probably did cheap out and use cat 5e since it's not a custom home. Any ideas?

I wouldn't necessarily trust the the wall plate and check the cabling to verify. Wonder if they intended for one color to be for networking and one for analog lines?
And I would get a 24 port patch panel from monoprice and either group them by room or use the first 12 for one color and last 12 for the other color.
Or go with a keystone version if they really want to use those coax cables.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 19, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

withoutclass posted:

My guess is they're referencing that you can get paid support from a couple of the places that offer their JDK for free. Which is one way places like Adopt OpenJDK can do things like offer backported security fixes to old JDK versions.

Ohhhh got it. That's insane.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Am I reaaaaaally going to have to get rid of my USG I just got and get the DM Pro in order to actually get some security cameras hooked up? It seems like that's the way to go for Protect functionality now...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AlternateAccount posted:

Am I reaaaaaally going to have to get rid of my USG I just got and get the DM Pro in order to actually get some security cameras hooked up? It seems like that's the way to go for Protect functionality now...

I think you can still do it with a cloud key 2, but you can't roll your own controller.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not clear, but was that plastic trunking not attached to the wall at all, and you were just hanging it off the cable?

It was stuck on with that foamy double-sided tape. It turned to goo in the uncharacteristic heat wave we had out here in the Bay Area last week.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Wacky Delly posted:

I think you can still do it with a cloud key 2, but you can't roll your own controller.

Sounded like you couldn't put the storage off to your own NAS or elsewhere, had to be to an actual UI device of some kind.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rollie Fingers posted:

This is super incorrect. Java 8 is a "long term support" (LTS) version of Java. You can buy a support contract right now from Oracle for the "official" version of Java 8 that lasts through December of 2030.

Hadlock posted:

Java 8 isn't a "lovely hack". The Ubiquiti controller software doesn't require a paid subscription.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Sounded like you couldn't put the storage off to your own NAS or elsewhere, had to be to an actual UI device of some kind.

Correct. the UDM Pro($380) and UCK-G2-PLUS ($200) are the two UI devices that support Unifi Protect.
...Looks like there's also the UNVR ($300) that just came out of early access.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 19, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I'm with you here, it's why I use the lovely hack docker container some sketchy website prerolled for me. :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyks posted:

Correct. the UDM Pro($380) and UCK-G2-PLUS ($200) are the two UI devices that support Unifi Protect.
...Looks like there's also the UNVR ($300) that just came out of early access.

So kinda one of those things where hey, are you sure you can't use another 8 ports of switch capacity? I doubt many home gamers have enough cameras running to justify the standalone UNVR. Aight, (sigh).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sellouts posted:

Whoops, a lot of the same people are having a parallel conversation about "monstrous java application" over in the packrats NAS thread and I got my wires crossed; do you mean we're not talking about crashplan in the home networking thread?!?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Whoops, a lot of the same people are having a parallel conversation about "monstrous java application" over in the packrats NAS thread and I got my wires crossed; do you mean we're not talking about crashplan in the home networking thread?!?

Java is the devil and should shot into the sun. Triply so on desktop or consumer devices. Server applications (no, ubiquity isn't that) just regular shot into the sun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

java is extremely good

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I recently moved into a new home and I’m working through the best way to setup and optimize my home network, though I’m not extremely well versed in all of this so I’m seeking some advice.

For starters: I have a Sudden Link “gigabit” connection spitting out into an SB8200 modem that sits in a box in my laundry room. The bulk of the house is hardwired with Ethernet cable out of this box, so I run the connection from my modem to my router in another room, which I then run BACK to the box (because the box is too small for modem and router), where a Netgear switch splits off the rest of my hardwire connections. All of my important devices (gaming PC, media room, certain TVs) are plugged right in to my hard lines and do not pull wifi. For everything else, I’m more than aware of the fact that I won’t hit gigabit speeds on wifi, and that is perfectly fine.

That all being said, here is my problem in this setup: There are four adults sharing bandwidth on this wifi at times, between cellphones, work laptops, extra TVs, etc and I’m currently using a basic Linksys AC1300 router, which has proven to be fairly spotty. My connection seems to drop occasionally, though I am not sure if it is due to my ISP dropping or the router’s bandwidth getting overloaded?

So I guess what I am trying to figure out is if this basic router is an okay enough choice for what I am doing, or if I need to get something a bit better? Or perhaps there is something in my network chain that isn’t done correctly?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Depends on what you mean by "dropping". If your device is showing no longer connected to your AP, it wouldn't be an ISP issue for example.

You can rule out it being an issue somewhere else in the connection chain by seeing if a PC connected at the same point is getting speeds around your expected wired speeds during low utilization but it's probably just spotty wireless. If you have a wired backhaul already running in your house I would recommend just getting APs and distributing them around the house.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Cyks posted:

Depends on what you mean by "dropping". If your device is showing no longer connected to your AP, it wouldn't be an ISP issue for example.

You can rule out it being an issue somewhere else in the connection chain by seeing if a PC connected at the same point is getting speeds around your expected wired speeds during low utilization but it's probably just spotty wireless. If you have a wired backhaul already running in your house I would recommend just getting APs and distributing them around the house.

The dropping i have been experiencing is “connected to the router, but no internet” type drops. It has happened most prevalently on wifi devices, but it has happened once or twice on my wired up PC as well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

For starters: I have a Sudden Link “gigabit” connection spitting out into an SB8200 modem that sits in a box in my laundry room......

That all being said, here is my problem in this setup: There are four adults sharing bandwidth on this wifi at times, between cellphones, work laptops, extra TVs, etc and I’m currently using a basic Linksys AC1300 router, which has proven to be fairly spotty. My connection seems to drop occasionally

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Many of us will recommend some combinations of Ubiquiti gear but this is most ideal if you have (or can fish) Ethernet cable through the walls so you can have a few Wireless Access Points around larger houses/buildings. For instance, I recently purchased a UniFi Dream Machine to pair with my new Gigabit Fibre connection. If I had Wifi Coverage problems I'd put an In Wall AP or nanoHD nearby with seamless handover, connected to the UDM by pre-existing Ethernet in the walls. If I was doing that, and especially if I wanted to add security cameras too, I may go for the Dream Machine Pro instead (although not mandatory, I can add them to the regular UDM).

Quoted my answer to a previous post as it may apply to you here. You've got wired ethernet in place already and it sounds like you have a need for switches (e.g. 5 port Flex Mini or UniFi Switch Lite 16 PoE) and you may find yourself distributing them around the house. The bit about multiple access points also applies here, I'd be tempted to put a few in wall ones around the place.

Your connection dropping could be a lot of things (ISP itself, connection to ISP, router, local network, client device). In my case, I'm relatively certain my old Netgear R7000 was wearing out after 7 years service (which I was fine with). Given you also have a somewhat longer connection between the Modem and the Router (and indeed back to the switch again), it could be one of those cables, perhaps worth a check at least.

Physical space is the final reason why I think the UniFi gear may apply. You mentioned there was a router and a switch in the laundry room. Possibly the switch could be replaced by a UDM or UDM pro, or perhaps a physically smaller switch like the one above may do, in which case you could possibly use a different router (more options in the ubiquiti line that I've mentioned). If you have to stay with the split setup you have, which isn't invalid at all I point out, then you can of course too.

EDIT: Should point out that in the In-Wall HD APs have a 4 port switch in them, making them a tempting choice if you have a bunch of rooms each with their own workstation/streaming devices/phone etc.

Cost of course is a factor I didn't think to hard about.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 21, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The new router came in, so I finally got rid of my piece of poo poo router from Spectrum I was paying $5 a month to rent. I can't believe I can actually connect to the 5ghz wifi outside the room the router is sitting in.

I had no idea it could work like that.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Quoted my answer to a previous post as it may apply to you here. You've got wired ethernet in place already and it sounds like you have a need for switches (e.g. 5 port Flex Mini or UniFi Switch Lite 16 PoE) and you may find yourself distributing them around the house. The bit about multiple access points also applies here, I'd be tempted to put a few in wall ones around the place.

Your connection dropping could be a lot of things (ISP itself, connection to ISP, router, local network, client device). In my case, I'm relatively certain my old Netgear R7000 was wearing out after 7 years service (which I was fine with). Given you also have a somewhat longer connection between the Modem and the Router (and indeed back to the switch again), it could be one of those cables, perhaps worth a check at least.

Physical space is the final reason why I think the UniFi gear may apply. You mentioned there was a router and a switch in the laundry room. Possibly the switch could be replaced by a UDM or UDM pro, or perhaps a physically smaller switch like the one above may do, in which case you could possibly use a different router (more options in the ubiquiti line that I've mentioned). If you have to stay with the split setup you have, which isn't invalid at all I point out, then you can of course too.

EDIT: Should point out that in the In-Wall HD APs have a 4 port switch in them, making them a tempting choice if you have a bunch of rooms each with their own workstation/streaming devices/phone etc.

Cost of course is a factor I didn't think to hard about.

What’s the benefit of multiple APs vs a single router? The space I’m covering with the router isn’t very large, and actual coverage area has not been an issue as of yet. Do the APs split that wifi bandwidth up more effectively than a high end router would?

Also, I think I’m ok on switches and hard points for the time being. The network box is large enough to fit my modem, switch, and associated cables just fine on their own, but adding the router to that would not work.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

The new router came in, so I finally got rid of my piece of poo poo router from Spectrum I was paying $5 a month to rent. I can't believe I can actually connect to the 5ghz wifi outside the room the router is sitting in.

Welcome to the future dude. I get 5GHz out to my mailbox.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

What’s the benefit of multiple APs vs a single router? The space I’m covering with the router isn’t very large, and actual coverage area has not been an issue as of yet. Do the APs split that wifi bandwidth up more effectively than a high end router would?

Also, I think I’m ok on switches and hard points for the time being. The network box is large enough to fit my modem, switch, and associated cables just fine on their own, but adding the router to that would not work.

Multiple APs can improve coverage and (although it is a complex answer) can divide some of the workload if they are using multiple channels. Assuming your coverage is at least good everywhere, then perhaps it's not an issue here as you say. If however some of the remote workers and streamers are getting weaker coverage, then perhaps it would help.

Generally there's a benefit to getting devices off wireless (e.g. stationary devices like desk only laptops, streaming devices near a network point) and leaving it available for the devices that require it (e.g. smartphones, wifi only devices, laptops that move). Wireless bandwidth (actual radio band's width) isn't limitless and transmission rate generally decreases with distance and obstacles. Even with a single AP, you may see benefit from placing it well, e.g. ceiling mounted or at least in the centre of the house or near the majority of wireless devices.

The other idea I wanted to leave you with was mainly the option that the space that the switch takes up may be used for another device (due to the physical size of these not being enormous, but it sounds like you're fine overall space wise. From what you've said about your setup, the router (with a built in wireless access point) being physically away from the modem, and presumably in a more advantageous place for coverage, may be giving some of the effects that I'm describing above.

How many ethernet cables are going into the switch out of interest?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

ISP provided routers are universally poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Rooted Vegetable posted:

The other idea I wanted to leave you with was mainly the option that the space that the switch takes up may be used for another device (due to the physical size of these not being enormous, but it sounds like you're fine overall space wise. From what you've said about your setup, the router (with a built in wireless access point) being physically away from the modem, and presumably in a more advantageous place for coverage, may be giving some of the effects that I'm describing above.

How many ethernet cables are going into the switch out of interest?

This is essentially correct. I moved the router to a centralized room to both avoid cramping the box and maximize its signal coverage to the wireless device locations.

The Netgear switch is 10 ports, so the router feeds in and splits off to 9 different Ethernet drops throughout the home. I will admit that the switch doesn’t cover all of my Ethernet drops and there are some loose connections left over in the box, but we have optimized it so that the ports we care about and need are all ready to roll.