Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More the problem there is it's all written by and increasingly for weird nerds who have no concept of what a healthy or realistic relationship looks like, but to be fair, it's not like most of Japan seems to either. Or the rest of the world, for that matter.

And the scary part is a lot of young people grow up believing that's genuinely how relationships work, and it's a non-trivial factor in how you get incels.

tbh this is a lot of why I keep stanning Fate: Heaven's Feel so hard.

the relationship at the center of it isn't really necessarily healthy but it is sure as gently caress realistic, and there is at least one big scene in the second movie that had me straight-up ugly crying because it was so similar to conversations me and my current partner have had. it's a relationship between two hosed up people trying desperately to help each other get rid of their brain spiders, and it is executed shockingly goddamn well.

e: like, y'all should all go watch those movies if the requisite CWs don't scare you off (horrifying child abuse is a major plot point, and while it's handled about as tastefully as possible, it's still extremely not pleasant). there's people who will gripe about the movies because they're not quite as good as the original visual novel, and... frankly those people aren't really wrong, there's some cuts and alterations I'm not super happy with, but just taking them in a vacuum, the HF movies might straight up be some of the best animated media of the past 20 years. if this is a medium you care about do not loving sleep on those movies.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Boxman posted:

I'm 99% certain that's a scene that maybe was just made for the trailers where they have this exact conversation, and yeah, it's "breaks" because that's the saying.

The movie's underlying lesson about friendship was fine, I thought. At least slightly healthier than WIR1's lesson, which was...be happy with your lot in life, if you try to change jobs you'll destroy everything and everyone you ever loved?

I really don't think they meant the message to be that, I think it was more meant to be just a general "be happy with yourself" and not "just accept your place in life" or whatever. It's muddled a bit I suppose.

The second movie's general theme of how to handle a friend or loved one moving away resonated with me a lot more, but the concept of Vanellope moving to a different game didn't really work with the rules they already established in the world with the first movie. It in fact ends up making Vanellope look really selfish because it SHOULD put her entire game in jeopardy for her to leave the arcade and join this online game. They kind of gloss over that but :shrug:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Meet the Robinsons is atrocious

All the wacky family members like the dude with the puppet wife - so wacky!

The unfathomable kung fu movie parody in the dinner scene

What the gently caress were they thinking

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I would watch Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen 2 back to back 10 times before I watch MTR again

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Chicken Little is absolutely the worst movie, ugly graphics, incredibly mean-spirited, a lot of confusing casting choices (It feels like everyone could've been better voiced by someone else in the cast), and there's the gross sexism with Foxy Loxey

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Did they ever undo the brain washing? I remember them being all "like her better this way, lol" but can't be sure.

Also I did not like that ending in Kubo either.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

World Famous W posted:

Did they ever undo the brain washing? I remember them being all "like her better this way, lol" but can't be sure.

Also I did not like that ending in Kubo either.

they did not! In the ending where they watched the adaptation of the events, she was still in the Pink Scarlet O'Hara get up and acting super girly.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I would watch Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen 2 back to back 10 times before I watch MTR again
Thank you for reminding me that Frozen 2 is a film that exists that I did not get to see. I've had Disney+ for almost a year and haven't bothered? (Then again most of my spare time is wasted on YouTube, so...)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Gotta say, there's a lot of Meet the Robinsons hate in this thread, and I won't stand for it. It's cute! It's a fun movie! It's very briefly got Tom Selleck!

Ralph Breaks the Internet is loving awful though. It's honestly kind of impressive how bad it is in so many different ways - as a poorly thought-out sequel to a really good movie, as a lame Emoji Movie ripoff that's super desperate to be relevant, and as a blatant Disney self-suck where you get to celebrate how awesome it is that one company owns everything you enjoy!

I enjoyed Meet the Robinsons as well. The worst I can say about it, is that’s it’s a very okay movie. It’s not great, it’s bad, you’ll watch it, enjoy it and never think about it again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the jokes about how ridiculous Meet the Robinsons' premise is, like toward the end where 11 year old Lewis takes 16 year old Wilbur aside and says "Need I remind you, I'm your father, you have to do what I say! Little moments like that or everything Bowler Hat Guy says.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Bowler Hat Guy is a really solid villain in a movie desperately in search of a plot

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The only thing I remember about Meet the Robinson's is this joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93B072j-E3I

Admittedly, it does make me laugh every time I see that big dopey T-rex wiggle his arms around. It is one more Sensible Chuckle (TM) then I got out of Chicken Little. That movie is just the absolutely worst of all things.

Wreck it Ralph 2 is just deeply disappointing. The first was so good and had such a great message. I've used clips of it in my classroom after all. I struggled to even finish the second one as it was just bad on numerous levels, especially its messaging. The Disney Princess meta scene is, at least, cute though. It does have that and a brief appearance of a shifty fox in its favor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

Bowler Hat Guy is a really solid villain in a movie desperately in search of a plot

Yeah, the plot in meet the Robinsons is quite thin. But I will take thin over bad any day. Bowler hat guy is a loving phenomenal villain.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The best part of Ralph Breaks the Internet was the scroll bar on the end credits, letting theater workers know how much longer they had to wait before the auditorium would empty for cleaning.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Raya and the Last Dragon trailer

I see Korra is getting new work? Just joking, but that blue outfit and the skin color are really evocative. Looks nice I guess.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4nmt8M
Well now! This doesn't look half bad.
I could do without cyclops Trump, but the rest is promising.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

paradoxGentleman posted:

I laughed at the black light joke. And they've turned comments off, the cowards!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I laughed at the black light joke. And they've turned comments off, the cowards!

That blacklight joke was amazing. I had to rewind that one.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The_Doctor posted:

Considering that Dot mentions mansplaining, that was probably a prudent move to keep the chud vultures away from any children who happen across the funny cartoon trailer.

e: speaking of, they are probably going to sweep all the inappropriate treatment of Hello Nurse under the rug, aren't they.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Considering that Dot mentions mansplaining, that was probably a prudent move to keep the chud vultures away from any children who happen across the funny cartoon trailer.

e: speaking of, they are probably going to sweep all the inappropriate treatment of Hello Nurse under the rug, aren't they.

I doubt she's gonna return in any recognisable form, hopefully the same fate for most of the one-note characters, especially those whose note is 'victim/perpetrator of sexual harassment'.

I haven't actually seen much of the original show, though sounds like nostalgia's mostly filtered down to the good stuff. Katie Ka-Boom might be iffy now, though I did like the one short where the dad actually stands up to her with the prom curfew and comes to a compromise.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Katie Ka-Boom's one joke is "Ha ha teenage girls are monsters am I right?' yeah, teenagers tend to overreact to everything just the presentation is kind of gross.

And frankly, Youtube should have comments off by default because holy poo poo somehow it ends up being complete dregs of the dregs even polite conversations eventually get hijacked by internet tough guys or ideological wonks spewing racism or death threats over the most innocuous of things. So can't blame Hulu for going 'nah, we don't want racial slurs in our video directed at kids'

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Youtube also recentishly started automatically turning off comments for anything flagged as kid-related content.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

paradoxGentleman posted:

They've explicitly said almost none of the side characters from the original are returning, and that this explicitly includes Hello Nurse, presumably because of this exact issue.

Which, I'm gonna be honest, feels odd because I feel like the exclamation she's named for is one of the more long-lived cultural memes the show spawned.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That Raya trailer is just gorgeous. WDFA's movies look better and better each time

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

a foam party reference in animaniacs huh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The 7th Guest posted:

a foam party reference in animaniacs huh

The crew got exposed to the burgeoning furry fanbase in the worst way possible way back in the day, it seems terribly fitting

The winged unicorn with the incredibly manly voice is probably going to be a favourite

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

IUG posted:

I thought the message of the first one was not to be lovely to service workers because they provide a valuable role in society that you will regret if you treat them poorly. Like the trash collectors or janitors.

This is 100% the story if it were told by Felix or one of the townsfolk. It'd be less interesting but a better lesson.

Sir Lemming posted:

WIR's message is really just "the grass is always greener on the other side", don't try to make it more than that. Anyone could take that too far and decide they should never try to change anything, but that's not really the movie's problem. It's a pretty standard-issue message.

Macaluso posted:

I really don't think they meant the message to be that, I think it was more meant to be just a general "be happy with yourself" and not "just accept your place in life" or whatever. It's muddled a bit I suppose.

Yeah I don't think its meant to be "stay in your place" exactly, but its a bit stronger htan "the grass is greener," because the consequences of seeing what the other side are so dire. Like, Freaky Friday does the grass is greener message but it isn't like kid-in-mom's-body accidentally runs a car into an orphanage.

I don't think its particularly intentional (Nightmare Before Christmas runs through the same lessons, after all), but it is sort of funny.

Shadow Hog posted:

Thank you for reminding me that Frozen 2 is a film that exists that I did not get to see. I've had Disney+ for almost a year and haven't bothered? (Then again most of my spare time is wasted on YouTube, so...)

I think we've talked about it in this thread, but the making of doc on D+ was fascinating for this. They're in the last stretch of the movie and still fixing basic plot points. Like, exactly who the gently caress is singing to Elsa didn't get locked in until very late in the game, to the point where it wasn't at all guaranteed that Show Yourself was going to end up in the final cut (which explains why the less-good Into the Unknown got the big advertising/awards push).

As they were debating who should be singing to Elsa, it occurred to me that I had seen the movie in theaters and really couldn't remember.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Frozen 2 is half a fun fantasy adventure film and half really awful romantic comedy where the boyfriend keeps trying to ask his girlfriend to marry him while hijinx ensue and get in his way

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Frozen 2 is half a fun fantasy adventure film and half really awful romantic comedy where the boyfriend keeps trying to ask his girlfriend to marry him while hijinx ensue and get in his way

With regard to that part, it's like I'm seeing the same movie or TV show over and over again, except with characters that are, in that moment, only slightly different

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 21, 2020

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Macaluso posted:

...boyfriend keeps trying to ask his girlfriend to marry him while hijinx ensue and get in his way

It's odd because that whole subplot is definitely the worst part of the movie, but Lost in the Woods is the only part of the movie I remember really enjoying because it was so bonkers and out of nowhere.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I see Korra is getting new work? Just joking, but that blue outfit and the skin color are really evocative. Looks nice I guess.

I was promised that there would be a sarcastic talking dragon in this movie, but I see no evidence of such in the trailer. Very disappointing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The sarcastic talking dragon was the friends we made along the way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nikaer Drekin posted:

It's odd because that whole subplot is definitely the worst part of the movie, but Lost in the Woods is the only part of the movie I remember really enjoying because it was so bonkers and out of nowhere.

The song is great, but just like the troll song in the first movie, which I also thought was a good song on its own, it stops the movie completely dead in its tracks and should not have been in the movie.

pospysyl posted:

I was promised that there would be a sarcastic talking dragon in this movie, but I see no evidence of such in the trailer. Very disappointing.

You see its silhouette at the end of the trailer. I really hope it's still the bright pink looking dragon from the concept art they showed a while ago.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The only proposal hijinx subplot I like/tolerate is Bernard's in Rescuers Down Under because he's a Neurotic little mess so it's in-character for him, and he knew when to stow it and wait until a far more appropriate time to pop the question.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked how Tangled the Series handled it, because Eugene's proposals were sweet and well thought out, it was just the wrong time each time. Also we knew from the movie that he asked her multiple times before she said yes, so it was fun to see that playing out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth TNT posted:

Looks great, like it might mix the adventure of Moana with the action of Big Hero 6

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's neat to see Disney doing something so High Fantasy, with unique mystical creatures, warring kingdoms, and (seemingly) chosen hero destinies. Especially one that isn't curtailed in Fairy Tale fantastical lightness, or deliberately entrenched in a specific culture (just general East Asia, in this case).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Roth posted:

I think Breadwinner was really solid in every way. Probably their best work imo.

yeah! watch the breadwinner! cartoon saloon has made more than two movies lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Frozen 2 is a pretty good rock opera that happens to have visuals attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think if a movie is computer animated there is no need for it to look more visually complicated than toy story, ratatoing, or the globgogabgilab