Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the major content creators just avoid sci-fi entirely for the large part going forwards. It seems like a very high-risk, low-reward genre where the best reaction a show will reasonably get is "it's fine, I guess" and at worst it will actively, seriously damage your entire platform's PR because of how bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Aww I liked Away it was so very gentle and bland and there wasn't a bad guy it was like what if a low sodium Triscuit and a bowl of plain oatmeal teamed up to write and direct what they thought was a compelling space drama.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
As long as Warner doesn't cancel Raised by Wolves.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Space drama sounds like such an interesting genre but seems like the few I've heard about have been duds. The one with Sean Penn on Hulu was pretty good but it got cancelled after one season (which is too bad, Penn and Natascha McElhone were really good in it) and I didn't get into Away because people said it sucked.

I hope this doesn't make networks shy away from that type of setting because it's inherently one that piques my interest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raised by Wolves and Devs were both awesome. Both have been renewed. Although Devs was a one off, but Alex Garland is working on a new miniseries with the same cast for Hulu.

Away just looked dull. I've been meaning to watch it, because it's up my alley but nothing about the trailers roped me in.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I haven't watched Away, so I might be way off the mark, but from the trailer it just looked like another "workaholics go to space but realize family is more important after all" story that has been done several times recently.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Raised by Wolves and Devs were both awesome. Both have been renewed.

both also have critically-beloved talent helming them, blunting any possible negative reaction they could have received, and both are being marketed as prestige artsy TV rather than sci-fi pulp.

that sorta thing isn't gonna die, but I would be very surprised if Picard and Disco aren't pretty much the last gasp of Star Trek on TV, if Disney pretty much avoids making any Star Wars TV without Filoni involved (since he seems to similarly be their bulwark against hatred), and if "mid-tier" original-IP sci-fi shows like Away/Lost in Space (or, for earlier examples, your Farscapes and Lexxes and Babylon 5s) just die out entirely. because sci-fi fans are fickle as all hell and generally have a very, very specific idea of what they want that you're almost inevitably not gonna fully achieve, and it will blow back on nearly everybody working on the show.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Class Warcraft posted:

I haven't watched Away, so I might be way off the mark, but from the trailer it just looked like another "workaholics go to space but realize family is more important after all" story that has been done several times recently.

Trailer looked like Space Mom and I immediately checked out

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the major content creators just avoid sci-fi entirely for the large part going forwards. It seems like a very high-risk, low-reward genre where the best reaction a show will reasonably get is "it's fine, I guess" and at worst it will actively, seriously damage your entire platform's PR because of how bad it is.

It’s substantially higher risk when you throw money to get an uncharismatic academy award winner as your lead for an extremely dry, hard sci fi that everyone feels like they’ve already seen.

I think people are burnt out by that subgenre of sci fi in general. There’s a reason ad astra bombed. Meanwhile The Expanse and Mandalorian are both hits. Raised by Wolves was renewed as well.

Starks fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 20, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Away was high budget mom thriller fiction

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tremors: Shrieker Island is up on Netflix today. There is also a 30 minute documentary about Tremors up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpCSCQJEmnk

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Helstrom is the most dead on arrival, no one involved gives a poo poo release I have seen in decades

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I haven't seen a second of Away but if you want good space related drama please watch For All Mankind

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Basebf555 posted:

They rarely cancel stuff after one season but from what I was seeing Away got particularly harsh reactions, people really seemed to think it was poo poo.

:itwaspoo:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Simone Magus posted:

Away was high budget mom thriller fiction

Yeah, I think that's the issue. It's the kind of show that moms would love, if it weren't for the scifi element. I know plenty of people who won't watch anything with the label scifi or fantasy on it because they don't view it as realistic.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Junkie Disease posted:

Helstrom is the most dead on arrival, no one involved gives a poo poo release I have seen in decades

The guy who plays Daimon is like someone asked "Can we find someone more bland and forgettable than Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney combined?".

That show seemed to be comprised almost entirely of scenes with people talking very seriously about the most uninteresting plot anyone has ever written with the occasional really loving terrible telekinesis fight.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They saved wardrobe cash by having people wear their dullest street wear from home

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Starks posted:

It’s substantially higher risk when you throw money to get an uncharismatic academy award winner as your lead for an extremely dry, hard sci fi that everyone feels like they’ve already seen.

I think people are burnt out by that subgenre of sci fi in general. There’s a reason ad astra bombed. Meanwhile The Expanse and Mandalorian are both hits. Raised by Wolves was renewed as well.

I was going to say the same thing, it seems like 'super sad in space' has become a genre for some reason, maybe since Interstellar? There was also that astronaut diaper movie from Noah Hawley with Natalie Portman that tanked too, although I don't know that she ever actually got to be sad in space.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Junkie Disease posted:

It was so goddam paint by numbers. Even the end, I'm so loving sick of Lilith being used all the time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

From reading about Helstrom, it sounds like all the mediocrity of Marvel TV Cinematic Universe stuff with all the explicitly Marvel stuff scrubbed off. The best of both worlds!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Junkie Disease posted:

They saved wardrobe cash by having people wear their dullest street wear from home

I had a good laugh imagining what it must have been like on the set during the scene where Daimon had to flash dance the devil out of him in that cell without any of the hamfisted serious spooky music and only the "quarterback who got to be in one high school theater production" level of Tom Austens physical acting.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Kiko and the Wonderbeasts wrapped up on Netflix and stuck the landing. Good arcs for all the characters, and a feel good but earned ending. 3 seasons felt the perfect amount of show.

I have to say for a kid friendly show (in Avatar vein)I'm very surprised and pleased they had two fully out happy and healthy gay characters. Like no baiting or beating around the bush or getting fridged.

Also I was surprised Karen Fukuhara voiced the main character because they are definitely wasting her talents on The Boys by making her mute.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Aww I liked Away it was so very gentle and bland and there wasn't a bad guy it was like what if a low sodium Triscuit and a bowl of plain oatmeal teamed up to write and direct what they thought was a compelling space drama.

This poo poo made me laugh pretty hard.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Imagine all the lowpoints of Agent of Shield and less charm

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm enjoying The Expanse but there are comical and obvious accommodations made to the show for television audiences. Like it does a pretty decent job of setting up characters' motivations and state of mind through context, and then every time it has Shohreh Aghdashloo* patiently explain those motivations all but directly to the camera like the viewer is an idiot.

* or occasionally someone else's character if it wouldn't make sense for her to know about it, I'll give them that much at least

e: I haven't read the books, so I can't say for sure, but I'd bet you :10bux: the show's politics have been toned down a bit too

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Tried to watch Death of Stalin and made it to the part where all the maids and support staff are being executed on the lawn- so about 30 min in.

I guess I just don't get it. Is this supposed to be funny?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

Tried to watch Death of Stalin and made it to the part where all the maids and support staff are being executed on the lawn- so about 30 min in.

Are you not familiar with black comedy? Death of Stalin is one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrO4nqfZoSw
Boy who Cried Werewolf
Its terrible and fun schlock

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

Are you not familiar with black comedy? Death of Stalin is one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen.

And it comes scarily close to the truth, albeit dramatically ramped all way up.

You know it's good when the Russian government got so butthurt they banned it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm enjoying The Expanse but there are comical and obvious accommodations made to the show for television audiences. Like it does a pretty decent job of setting up characters' motivations and state of mind through context, and then every time it has Shohreh Aghdashloo* patiently explain those motivations all but directly to the camera like the viewer is an idiot.

* or occasionally someone else's character if it wouldn't make sense for her to know about it, I'll give them that much at least

e: I haven't read the books, so I can't say for sure, but I'd bet you :10bux: the show's politics have been toned down a bit too

a) I have several friends who have watched The Expanse and have explained that it's hard to follow. I disagree, but then again I read all the books.

b) The show is actually pretty faithful to the books, and it's really not that dumbed down. In the last couple of seasons they've merged some characters, and they rushed through the events of book 3 after taking their time with books 1 and 2, but it's pretty faithful. Helps that the authors are writers and producers on the show.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCDu4nmt8M

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, Yakko sounds old.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

feedmyleg posted:

Man, Yakko sounds old.

Aging 22 years and throat cancer will do that to a guy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The main beef I have with The Expanse is that the Designated Protagonist guy is just so thoroughly bland and uninteresting. But at least the show seems to realise it and gives us a lot of time with the much better rest of the cast. Especially Shohreh Aghdashloo. :allears:

Oh, speaking of cursed Sci-Fi productions, anybody else tried Another Life? God, what an utter trash fire. Katee Sackhoff tried her drat best, but there was just no salvaging it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Maybe I'm misreading things, but from the trailer It seems like it might be a serialized narrative? That seems like a really bad idea if that is the case.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thundercracker posted:

Kiko and the Wonderbeasts wrapped up on Netflix and stuck the landing. Good arcs for all the characters, and a feel good but earned ending. 3 seasons felt the perfect amount of show.

I have to say for a kid friendly show (in Avatar vein)I'm very surprised and pleased they had two fully out happy and healthy gay characters. Like no baiting or beating around the bush or getting fridged.

Also I was surprised Karen Fukuhara voiced the main character because they are definitely wasting her talents on The Boys by making her mute.

Yeah, the show is amazing and the soundtrack is dope, which isn't surprising since it's the Musica director from Into the Spider-Verse. I'm super excited for my daughter to be old enough to watch this with me and get something out of it. She-Ra as well, which also features Karen Fukuhara in a major role.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah I used to enjoy movies like that, but for Death of Stalin I wasn't in the mood for multiple casual rape mentions in the first half and never went back to it.

Black comedy in general is something I've lost the taste for when I loved it a decade ago.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah I used to enjoy movies like that, but for Death of Stalin I wasn't in the mood for multiple casual rape mentions in the first half and never went back to it.

Black comedy in general is something I've lost the taste for when I loved it a decade ago.

Real world atrocities only stop being scary when we can laugh about them

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Maybe I'm misreading things, but from the trailer It seems like it might be a serialized narrative? That seems like a really bad idea if that is the case.

A lot of this might just be from the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1319002753704857600?s=19

Bye bye.