Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

someone bully arcsys into making strive crossplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

someone bully arcsys into making strive crossplay.

I would, but Im on the wrong floor

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Elvis_Maximus posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much every fighting game outside of the ever played franchises like street fighter and Tekken

not? really?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I mean, I don't really hear people talking about gbvs as much anymore outside of new character announcements, and the population is slowly dissipating over time

No one really talks about bbtag either, which is a shame at it's still one of my favorite of the current generation of fighting games. Same with UNCLR

You can still find matches in those games, but it gets harder and harder over time

Whereas people do still talk about 3s or ST occasionally despite them being way older.

It's just kinda the hype cycle in general I guess

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
gbvs is def bleeding but it gets played a lot for online tournies and the like. you don't see nlbc shelling out sponsorship cash for 3s. the clr update + no locals def hurt uni but it still got played for like, years lol.

i don't really see that many people talk about 3s or ST, besides the regular olds.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I want to play UNI really bad but I just can't handle the netcode any more. If it got rollback I'd never stop playing it. The official UNI discord is still pretty active as well.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
p much where im at. i've been trying to play other stuff but none of it really sticks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Playing FGs alone in my room but online sucks balls compared to playing in person and constantly joking around goofing off with friends :(

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Playing FGs alone in my room but online sucks balls compared to playing in person and constantly joking around goofing off with friends :(

It's this. Even with the netcode issues I can play Tekken 7 for hours but the magic just ain't there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kongming posted:

I want to play UNI really bad but I just can't handle the netcode any more. If it got rollback I'd never stop playing it. The official UNI discord is still pretty active as well.

Same here, the game is super good but the net play is so bad

People definitely do play it though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ive definitely reverted to a pure diet of Fightcade and melty blood since the online times began. F.PCiel is a really cool character

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kongming posted:

You are me, discord matchmaking has been consistently active (on the EU side at least) but the netcode drains my will to play. 2002um is real fun though

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Arc worked with some youtuber to put together a GG lore series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIjtNL7Pfqw

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dreqqus posted:

It's this. Even with the netcode issues I can play Tekken 7 for hours but the magic just ain't there.

The only similar magic that happened was during the strive beta and a bunch of friends and I were in the same discord voice chat all trying to get into the same lobby and poo poo talking when we actually could get a match between two people.

Still, didn't feel the same as going to a local or a meetup but it hit the spot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In case you weren't aware Gear Project is a dude who presents himself as being a GG lore expert but also says Venom is not black and also not gay

https://twitter.com/Fabulous___Rose/status/1318758459077140480?s=19

Great vetting ASW

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
At least Woolie is doing the smart thing and dropping the dude for future episodes.

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1318780031926214662?s=19

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://mobile.twitter.com/Arbiterwarpig/status/1318751336939347975

this guy is wack

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
One can be black, and one can be a vampire, but BOTH!?

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Futurama X Guilty Gear when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BtM6qmfhE

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

In case you weren't aware Gear Project is a dude who presents himself as being a GG lore expert but also says Venom is not black and also not gay

Great vetting ASW

I don't know, let's ask Donovan from Darkstalkers

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
gear project guy is definitely a weirdo/probably on some kind of spectrum ("fond" memories of him posting on dustloop in like 2012 about guides to beating gold justice and not understanding why people were pointing out this isn't rly the fourm for that) - but if we're complaining about people getting GG lore wrong and passing misinfo as fact woolie has 0 stones to throw when he has nearly a decade of recorded video where he talks like an expert about something despite actually having the google translation of a wikipedia article take. like when he got mad they "retconned" raven and axl being the same person when that was just the third party company that localized one of the earlier X2 games mistranslating one scene that never gets referenced again.

ps venom could just as easily be indian or arabic as he could be black, plz don't (literally) see things as black and white. nago is definitely black tho

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 21, 2020

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I hadn't considered that Venom might be indian, but the U.K. (his come country) has a large population of south asians living in it due in part to the U.K.'s long history of colonialism, so that tracks. The same can be said for black british people as well. Anyway, Gear Project saying he's not black because he's not a perfect blackbody with ε = 1 is completely stupid.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
we really dont know enough about the vampire community to speak confidently about what skin color means to them

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

dhamster posted:

I hadn't considered that Venom might be indian, but the U.K. (his come country) has a large population of south asians living in it due in part to the U.K.'s long history of colonialism, so that tracks. The same can be said for black british people as well. Anyway, Gear Project saying he's not black because he's not a perfect blackbody with ε = 1 is completely stupid.

there was a never ending argument on the 3s forums of srk on whether dudley was of african or southeast asian heritage because he had straight hair

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

euphemism posted:

there was a never ending argument on the 3s forums of srk on whether dudley was of african or southeast asian heritage because he had straight hair

Did anyone post a picture of James Brown?

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did anyone post a picture of James Brown?

you better believe all evidence was submitted for both sides of the stupid argument

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

darealkooky posted:

ps venom could just as easily be indian or arabic as he could be black, plz don't (literally) see things as black and white. nago is definitely black tho

IIRC the full version of the legendary Venom Is Not Black or Gay post uses the word "POC" so even that devil's advocate doesn't work.

It's even more insane because Guilty Gear is one of the very few anime-as-gently caress things where the characters are very explicitly not all Japanese. You would think that someone with massive tunnel-vision for the text of Guilty Gear lore would cotton onto that if nothing else

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 21, 2020

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Hace posted:

p much where im at. i've been trying to play other stuff but none of it really sticks.

have you tried xmen vs street fighter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

gear project guy is definitely a weirdo/probably on some kind of spectrum ("fond" memories of him posting on dustloop in like 2012 about guides to beating gold justice and not understanding why people were pointing out this isn't rly the fourm for that) - but if we're complaining about people getting GG lore wrong and passing misinfo as fact woolie has 0 stones to throw when he has nearly a decade of recorded video where he talks like an expert about something despite actually having the google translation of a wikipedia article take. like when he got mad they "retconned" raven and axl being the same person when that was just the third party company that localized one of the earlier X2 games mistranslating one scene that never gets referenced again.
the gear project guy is wayyy worse considering hes also a massive homophobe

but yeah idk why they got woolie of all people to do this besides the fact that he has a Brand

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

It's even more insane because Guilty Gear is one of the very few anime-as-gently caress things where the characters are very explicitly not all Japanese.
idk if this is really true tho. melty has a bunch of europeans as does uniel. if you wanted to say 'have a variety of skintones' thatd be closer to true cause like, sion is in both and shes egyptian shes just also white

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Matt McMuscles is alright but Woolie is sort of stupid which makes sense since he hangs out with the other slovenly, lovely Best Friend

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
It's more that characters being Japanese in Guilty Gear is a plot point because Japan was basically destroyed, so they explicitly say which characters are Japanese pretty often.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just go watch the PCP University lecture on GG lore.

Also:
https://twitter.com/FittingAA_Music/status/1318928696397398016?s=19

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Veev posted:

It's more that characters being Japanese in Guilty Gear is a plot point because Japan was basically destroyed, so they explicitly say which characters are Japanese pretty often.

Yeah, the Japanese in Guilty Gear have mystical powers and the Gears felt threatened by them, and so wiped Japan off the map and slaughtered its entire population except for a tiny number of refugees who now live in a protected reservation. The world governments treat them like an endangered species and it's a huge deal when someone (Baiken, Anji) is actually Japanese.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Blade believes you cannot be called black unless your skin tone is literally #000000, you do not under any circumstances have to play devil's advocate for him

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

idk if this is really true tho. melty has a bunch of europeans as does uniel. if you wanted to say 'have a variety of skintones' thatd be closer to true cause like, sion is in both and shes egyptian shes just also white

I kinda mean the opposite, there's this weird mentality in anime circles that tan/brown Asians means that non Asians can't exist in anime regardless of skin color, and that's how you end up with stuff like the "Dudley is South Asian and not Black" argument mentioned already. Gear Project/Blade is the illogical extreme to this, which is particularly bizarre in Guilty Gear for all the reasons brought up.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 22, 2020

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

AnonSpore posted:

Blade believes you cannot be called black unless your skin tone is literally #000000, you do not under any circumstances have to play devil's advocate for him

lol

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

AnonSpore posted:

Great vetting ASW

Ah yes, Guilty Gear, the series that transcends race or ethnicity except when being Japanese or not Japanese is absolutely critical to a major running plot thread of the series since Guilty loving Gear 1

How did that man even get to this point (not That Man, I painfully know that now, but Gear Project)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AnonSpore posted:

holy wow