Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Osmosisch posted:

This is pretty fun, thanks for the tip. I'll probably drop it soonish because screw playing this kind of thing PvP but the core loop is pretty fresh. Kind of embarrassing how much of the characters is copied from other mobas though.

Character design wise they are taken from the original Black Survival that this is a spinoff of I guess. But I assume you mean more like achetypes and powers type of stuff game wise probably, which wouldn't be things I would pick up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular
at the risk of doing some self-promotion, i wanted to post that our lil indie studio's first game is coming out on the epic store and switch tomorrow!

It's called The Red Lantern, it's a narrative/roguelite/dog-sledding/survival game! also if you get it the first week it's 25% off.

It's definitely more on the "experience hand-written narrative over several playthroughs" side than the "completely procedural play a million hours" roguelike/survival side, so if that is appealing and you like the subject matter hopefully you will enjoy it!

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWJ8duGLI7Y

store links:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-red-lantern/home
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-red-lantern-switch/

I can answer (some/most) questions if folks have them, as well!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Oh wow, I've been looking forward to your game. Congratulations on the release!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I do enjoy the "sled dog being menaced by four angry squirrels" screen shot on the store page.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

I do enjoy the "sled dog being menaced by four angry squirrels" screen shot on the store page.

we promise only the finest high-realism scenarios

anatomi posted:

Oh wow, I've been looking forward to your game. Congratulations on the release!

thanks so much! it's been a very weird year to work on and ship a game for a lot of reasons as you can imagine lol

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

Character design wise they are taken from the original Black Survival that this is a spinoff of I guess. But I assume you mean more like achetypes and powers type of stuff game wise probably, which wouldn't be things I would pick up on.

Oh yeah I meant mechanically, like for example there's pretty close copies of Orianna and Swain from League of Legends in there that I spotted in the few games I played.

I really like the idea of being able to pick different weapons on the same character to mix up your playstyle, that's a good idea I wish more of these games picked up on..

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Osmosisch posted:

Oh yeah I meant mechanically, like for example there's pretty close copies of Orianna and Swain from League of Legends in there that I spotted in the few games I played.

I really like the idea of being able to pick different weapons on the same character to mix up your playstyle, that's a good idea I wish more of these games picked up on..

gotcha. yeah the weapon thing is neat, there is already so much build variety for a character with one weapon type but then oh, there is a different class of weapon they can use. and then this gets even more interesting once you start factoring in routes. also the fact a character can get a whole later after they introduce is cool.

My one problem is I wish there were like slots in plans for foods and traps.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The build system in Eternal Return is way too complex for me. You don't just buy items, you have to go collect crafting mats from around the map and build them. So making a build is not just about looking at the stats but also about planning an efficient route on the map to make everything so you don't take too long to finish your items and end up dying to a better-geared player who built stuff faster.

There's an ingame browser to look through the most popular player-made builds so I just use those.
Though 90% of them are in Korean so I can't read any of the info/tips the build creators write for them. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 22, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The build system in Eternal Return is way too complex for me. You don't just buy items, you have to go collect crafting mats from around the map and build them. So making a build is not just about looking at the stats but also about planning an efficient route on the map to make everything so you don't take too long to finish your items and end up dying to a better-geared player who built stuff faster.

There's an ingame browser to look through the most popular player-made builds so I just use those.
Though 90% of them are in Korean so I can't read any of the info/tips the build creators write for them. :v:

It does get less complicated when you realize a lot of weapons can just be completed in two zones and you then can just build off other mats you are getting in those first two areas. But I still mostly import too because I am afraid I am making stupid choices or not doing efficient things though lmao.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 22, 2020

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

djkillingspree posted:

I can answer (some/most) questions if folks have them, as well!

Are they ... good dogs?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Red Lantern looks good, I guess it's time to make a sledding genre in my games list since I also have Arctico and Sled Dog Saga.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001

EricFate posted:

Are they ... good dogs?

aren't they all????

Tagichatn posted:

Red Lantern looks good, I guess it's time to make a sledding genre in my games list since I also have Arctico and Sled Dog Saga.

the dogelike genre is strong

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

djkillingspree posted:

aren't they all????

Those mongolian dogs in Ghost of Tsushima can gently caress right off, constantly breaking my ghost streak.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Morpheus posted:

Those mongolian dogs in Ghost of Tsushima can gently caress right off, constantly breaking my ghost streak.

But you can make friends with them now!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hey, thanks for pointing this out. My first run lasted about 55 minutes and I'm enjoying it so far. I would like to mention one thing so folks know what they're in for.

It plays like Oregon Trail.

That's not a criticism. I just thought I would be actually steering a sled dog team like some sort of racing game but so far it's menus and branching paths with nice scenery, encounters, resource management, and a main character who talks to herself a lot. The voice actor for the main character does a good job and the dogs are adorable and fun to pet.

Your game makes a good first impression and has a lot of character. And the dogs are really good dogs. Well done.

Edit: Oh, and there's an option in the menu that toggles bad endings for the dogs on and off. Thanks for that. 2020 has left me shaky and I didn't need that right now. I literally have a couple of games sitting in my backlog because I don't want to deal with heavy stuff yet.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 24, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay I feel bad for talking poo poo about Amazing Cultivation Simulator ITT because I went back and gave it another try and help I'm addicted

If anyone else bounced off of it all starts to make sense soon enough and hot drat is there a lot of meat to this game

it turns out all of the feng shui information in the beginner's guide is way outdated and it's 100x simpler than explained in the guide. Literally all you need to do is put decorations of the feeding element within 2 tiles of the feng shui object (workstation, bed, etc). 2 or 3 decos will get a Very Auspicious rating for the Feng Shui object. The only time this changes is rather late-game, well after getting a Golden Core disciple. You don't need to worry about door orientations or specific layouts or placing decos further than 2 tiles away (except in one specific case of display tables displaying items with 3+ qi gather range).

Hell, this monstrosity has perfect feng shui:

Also there was a pretty major update the other day!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 25, 2020

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Looks like the new update added a bunch of formatting changes that broke part of the translation. Hopefully we get some more patches soon.

I, too, am thoroughly addicted.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
ACS is the best game I’ve played this year. It just keeps unpeeling like an onion- there are so many systems that you can unlock, and each one feels so good. Fair warning though- yeah the latest patch broke the translation, and the game gets a little Grundy towards the end of the mid game, but you don’t really notice because there is always more to do. It’s the “one more turn” equivalent of a simulation game and I love it!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't seen too many people hype it up yet but I'm doing my second playthrough of Vigil: The Longest Night and it's been a pretty great surprise. I think if you've recently enjoyed Salt & Sanctuary, Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, or any of the other 2D Soulstroidvanias then you'll want to give this a look. Appealing paper cutout art direction, atmospheric metal-influenced score, epic boss encounters, and appropriately unforgiving Hard difficulty. I really liked the incorporation of a skill tree and weapon specializations rather than having to spend EXP on stats. On the downside, the translation is kind of a mess and reads like someone took a Bloodborne word cloud generator and recompiled the story based on that. The developers are Taiwanese and appear to be fixing some text issues in subsequent patches, however. The map can also be a pain to parse at times, and quite a few bosses and quests are missable. But with a brisk 20-hour pace, it's very much intended that you play through the game more than once to see everything. If you're super concerned about missing anything on the first run then I'd definitely consult a guide, because many quests and optional bosses are Dark Souls levels of obscure. At the moment it's available for PC and Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblbLxFqJBE

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Hey, thanks for pointing this out. My first run lasted about 55 minutes and I'm enjoying it so far. I would like to mention one thing so folks know what they're in for.

It plays like Oregon Trail.

That's not a criticism. I just thought I would be actually steering a sled dog team like some sort of racing game but so far it's menus and branching paths with nice scenery, encounters, resource management, and a main character who talks to herself a lot. The voice actor for the main character does a good job and the dogs are adorable and fun to pet.

Your game makes a good first impression and has a lot of character. And the dogs are really good dogs. Well done.

Edit: Oh, and there's an option in the menu that toggles bad endings for the dogs on and off. Thanks for that. 2020 has left me shaky and I didn't need that right now. I literally have a couple of games sitting in my backlog because I don't want to deal with heavy stuff yet.

Thanks so much for playing and for the feedback! and yeah, we felt like that option was a huge accessibility win especially given the tone and content of the game.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

exquisite tea posted:

I haven't seen too many people hype it up yet but I'm doing my second playthrough of Vigil: The Longest Night and it's been a pretty great surprise. I think if you've recently enjoyed Salt & Sanctuary, Bloodstained, Hollow Knight, or any of the other 2D Soulstroidvanias then you'll want to give this a look. Appealing paper cutout art direction, atmospheric metal-influenced score, epic boss encounters, and appropriately unforgiving Hard difficulty. I really liked the incorporation of a skill tree and weapon specializations rather than having to spend EXP on stats. On the downside, the translation is kind of a mess and reads like someone took a Bloodborne word cloud generator and recompiled the story based on that. The developers are Taiwanese and appear to be fixing some text issues in subsequent patches, however. The map can also be a pain to parse at times, and quite a few bosses and quests are missable. But with a brisk 20-hour pace, it's very much intended that you play through the game more than once to see everything. If you're super concerned about missing anything on the first run then I'd definitely consult a guide, because many quests and optional bosses are Dark Souls levels of obscure. At the moment it's available for PC and Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblbLxFqJBE

I’ve loved what little I have played of it. Hard is, at least to me, a very accurate description of the difficulty. Waiting for a goddamn switch patch to drop though because there are pretty significant stutters and save issues as it stands.

I think they’re adding the ability to move with the d-pad too, which is a thing I want to have happen.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

burial posted:

I’ve loved what little I have played of it. Hard is, at least to me, a very accurate description of the difficulty. Waiting for a goddamn switch patch to drop though because there are pretty significant stutters and save issues as it stands.

I think they’re adding the ability to move with the d-pad too, which is a thing I want to have happen.

I was a little annoyed by the fact that I locked myself out of the "best" ending because I didn't talk to EVERY NPC in between every boss, so in that respect it definitely emulates the worst parts of Souls games. I've decided to take a bit of a break and run it back when the translation has been cleaned up a bit.

That said, what I did play (about 1/2 of the game) is pretty great. Combat could be a BIT less floaty, but overall it's a great looking game with a FANTASTIC soundtrack that definitely earworms its way into your head. Boss design is pretty nice and creepy as well, although hampered in mechanical execution by the floaty feel to combat.

Definitely feels like a worthy-soulslike to support though. I get why they did the Salt and Sanctuary tie-in; you can see a lot of the lifted inspiration, but SnS, for its wrinkles, is definitely the more polished design. If you look at SnS and think "That is NOT a polished design", game might not be for you though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First time I've seen this game but it looks like a fresh take on classic Rainbow Six and it's in early access.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1321134566677991424

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Folks, if you want a simple adventure/puzzle game with a unique gimmick then look no further than Carto. Im digging it even if, fundamentally, its not super complex. Available on Game Pass

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Barudak posted:

Folks, if you want a simple adventure/puzzle game with a unique gimmick then look no further than Carto. Im digging it even if, fundamentally, its not super complex. Available on Game Pass

Not on the "game pass" I have.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

treat posted:

Not on the "game pass" I have.

I played through it already on PC, not sure xbox has it

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
how many game passes are there, exactly? I have xbox game pass for PC. Maybe my subscription lapsed or something?

e; oh it sure did. Weird that the app stops updating with new games altogether without a current subscription.

treat fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 28, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I was gonna say its in both PC and Xbox Game Pass. Its not some revelatory game but its the fun kind of B game I love and cherish

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Wasteland 3 has been fun

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No More Heroes 1 and 2 (Wii exclusive for 10 years) just dropped on Switch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alamoduh posted:

ACS is the best game I’ve played this year. It just keeps unpeeling like an onion- there are so many systems that you can unlock, and each one feels so good. Fair warning though- yeah the latest patch broke the translation, and the game gets a little Grundy towards the end of the mid game, but you don’t really notice because there is always more to do. It’s the “one more turn” equivalent of a simulation game and I love it!

Yeah I can't even remember the last time a game has just melted the hours away like ACS. There is sooooooo much to it and a lot of very helpful people on the discord and it all just keeps unfolding in a way that's fun to work through.

I just trained up my third generation of Inner Disciples and all five of them hit T1 in Golden Core and 3 of them even hit 300k score when becoming Golden Cores, after everything I went through to get here it felt like being some retired old guru training the up-and-coming Power Rangers.

They recently announced that the 1.0 release which was planned for December got the opposite of a delay and will come out at the end of November instead, along with the full official English translation. They also called it a "tough decision" but I don't know if that's a bad translation or if it means that they're out of money or what

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
E: I'm dumb, I just needed to scroll up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

They recently announced that the 1.0 release which was planned for December got the opposite of a delay and will come out at the end of November instead, along with the full official English translation. They also called it a "tough decision" but I don't know if that's a bad translation or if it means that they're out of money or what

It was a gag referencing the Cyberpunk 2077 delay.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

treat posted:

It was a gag referencing the Cyberpunk 2077 delay.

Well that makes sense :kiddo:

I went ahead and posted a thread for it because it seems to be that kind of game:
Amazing Cultivation Simulator thread

Xenosmilus
Sep 16, 2006

djkillingspree posted:

at the risk of doing some self-promotion, i wanted to post that our lil indie studio's first game is coming out on the epic store and switch tomorrow!

It's called The Red Lantern, it's a narrative/roguelite/dog-sledding/survival game! also if you get it the first week it's 25% off.

It's definitely more on the "experience hand-written narrative over several playthroughs" side than the "completely procedural play a million hours" roguelike/survival side, so if that is appealing and you like the subject matter hopefully you will enjoy it!

Really enjoying this!

I love the scenery and story events which pop up. Ashly Burch's voice acting is so good in this too. I felt really invested in making sure everyone made it through okay.

After getting to the end I still want to continue and open up more of the journal and story, and restart with another team of dogs. It's cool that they all have their own personalities.

The only minor thing that I felt I wanted was a way to quickly check how much food I had ( unless I've missed it! ). I wonder if it'd be worthwhile showing resources while the map is up.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001

Xenosmilus posted:

Really enjoying this!

I love the scenery and story events which pop up. Ashly Burch's voice acting is so good in this too. I felt really invested in making sure everyone made it through okay.

After getting to the end I still want to continue and open up more of the journal and story, and restart with another team of dogs. It's cool that they all have their own personalities.

The only minor thing that I felt I wanted was a way to quickly check how much food I had ( unless I've missed it! ). I wonder if it'd be worthwhile showing resources while the map is up.

There's a button for this! Tab on PC or Left Bumper/L on Gamepad/Switch!

Xenosmilus
Sep 16, 2006

djkillingspree posted:

There's a button for this! Tab on PC or Left Bumper/L on Gamepad/Switch!

Whoops! Thanks so much, that's perfect.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Hades is just as good as they say, it paired nicely with the new Netflix anime Blood of Zeus.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

(I think it's cheaper on epic maybe if that's your thing)

Amazing cultivation simulator scratches a Kenshi/Disgaea itch
Unfortunately my ' button for attack is apparently broke on my keyboard, so I bought a non best buy/gamer decent mechanical keyboard and am waiting for it to ship.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 31, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Hades is just as good as they say, it paired nicely with the new Netflix anime Blood of Zeus.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

(I think it's cheaper on epic maybe if that's your thing)

It’s also $19.99 on Switch atm, and man is it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Was kinda disappointed with Pyre, but might give Hades a shot.