Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Lockpicking Lawyer well, picks locks and reviews their security. Probably only like, practically useful to you if you're concerned about bike theft, but some of this poo poo is just egregiously terrible.

It's also nice that his content is basically fluffless, it's very rare for any of his videos to hit the 5 minute mark.

any of his videos about gun locks are great, because every single gun lock is the worst

you'd think "can be loaded and fired without removing the lock" might be a dealbreaker for folk, but I guess not so much

edit: oh god, new page, please check out:
thoughtslime talkin about watching people pretend to do an economy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpSVG3PyWv0

or Post 10 unclogging a real gently caress of a clogged drain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdsi82EW2M

egg tats fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I have seen no evidence, ever, for this "Japan hates Lilo" theory. Only thing I've seen is the show Stitch! is set in Okinawa because Paul Candland who worked at Disney Japan wanted to make a show set there, where he lived for a while. Lilo doesn't appear in the show because she's an adult when the show takes place and lives in Hawaii.

What is the origin of this weird Lilo/Japan rumor?

e: apparently in ep. 23 of the Japanese Stitch show, Lilo's daughter appears who looks and acts identically to child Lilo.

it comes from massive dipshits like that dude making wild assumptions based on nothing but their own glassed-out brains

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lilo was cut from Japanese cartoon, must be reason. Time to extrapolate something about entire culture instead of just executives doing random poo poo based on dumb whims.

There is however at least one person on tumblr who really really hates Lilo and gets brought up and conflated in these conversations. But I'm pretty sure it's just one person like the Silent Hill circumcision guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4Ge7E-4ZA
Danny spends months and thousands of dollars trying to get a song to go viral on TikTok. Danny does this every once in a while where he spends a lot of time and money on a goof. Like previously he (attempted) to spend $20k on internet ads in an attempt to see if those weird Instagram ads actually work.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If we're still doing video suggestions:

Dan Drambles- A very Geordie lad who does various current film and tv analysis. Currently running a series through October called Wholesome Halloween, talking about horror with heart and meaning.

Snipe and Wib- A pair of British nerds who talk about the weirdest and most esoteric parts of Warhammer, as well as a regular general gaming podcast.

The Sphere Hunter- Focuses on Survival Horror games, especially Resident Evil. But also spotlights lesser known games like the Parasite Eve series or Haunting Grounds.

Lazy Purple- Team Fortress 2 Youtuber best known for his 'How it Feels' series, where he examines each of the game's classes from a game feel perspective with the help of super slick editing and SFM animations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alaois posted:

it comes from massive dipshits like that dude making wild assumptions based on nothing but their own glassed-out brains

turn your monitor on

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I went ahead and looked this up just to verify what I'm talking about and uh

alright now I'm confused as hell too because I can't figure out where that came from either, despite a whole loving lot of people believing it and passing "Japan hates Lilo" around as uncontroversial fact, and the best guess to where the hell this came from seems to actually be that people apparently misinterpreted something the English dub of the Stitch anime added. and/or Kingdom Hearts fans noticing that Stitch is in there and not Lilo, combined with similarly apocryphal stories of Japanese audiences loving hating Chihiro from Spirited Away and that possibly getting telephone-gamed into Lilo.

I self owned there but it seems like I stumbled into a weird rear end rabbit hole in the process and I am genuinely curious how deep this goes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one person out of over 100 animation staff working on the show having a profoundly stupid take isn't really enough to taint the show in my eyes :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I didn't know the entirety of Japan was a twitter weirdo

e: I am not defending that take in any way, shape, or form, it's a mind-shatteringly terrible take, but it's a take that at least one entire whole-rear end country had, to the point where their followup Stitch stuff deliberately ignores the point of the movie and has Lilo explicitly abandon Stitch to fend for himself, because they loved Stitch but thought Lilo was a stupid little brat who should have been drowned.

idk where the "Japan hates Lilo" thing comes from but the cartoon that everybody always mentions where supposedly Lilo is an rear end in a top hat had an episode where Lilo comes back as an adult and it turns out that it was a misunderstanding and she never meant to abandon Stich and spent years looking for him.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

*Stumbles into this thread ten hours too late*

THE ASSASSINATION OF AOC BY THE COWARD HARRIS BOMB

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Today, Doctor Sparkle has posted his first somewhat shorter in game range Chrontendo episode. 10 games, possibly so he doesn't feel super pressured into posting a one hour behemoth of research for a bunch of titles every like, 8 months or so. Given the videos he posted beforehand, his shorter scope videos will make it less harsh on his body, given all of the stuff he went thru recently, even before COVID started.

And it's NEARLY 2 hours lmao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4Ge7E-4ZA
Danny spends months and thousands of dollars trying to get a song to go viral on TikTok. Danny does this every once in a while where he spends a lot of time and money on a goof. Like previously he (attempted) to spend $20k on internet ads in an attempt to see if those weird Instagram ads actually work.

I came across this guy somewhat recently, mostly cause of this song he made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGtgT5uOtnQ

Which if you watch the original video it's from, the jokes in the song make more sense. But the song on its own is still like... a really good song. He attempts to parody Justin Beiber's song and just ends up making a really good song. He's made some good songs in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqydMZjYFE

The way he talks and his delivery is just really funny to me, my only thing is I wish he would do less "let's make fun of this instagram or tiktok person" even if they are deserving of mocking, and focus more on things like doing videos about lovely animated movies, or The Santa Clause, or something cause those are his best stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-gVrZBfqM

Seriously I love his breakdown of The Santa Clause (and it also comes with a song!)

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Augus posted:

one person out of over 100 animation staff working on the show having a profoundly stupid take isn't really enough to taint the show in my eyes :shrug:

yeah tbh it’s more of a me thing, i don’t have a problem with the new designs or style. but i didn’t even know there was a new ninja turtles cartoon until i saw that person had it listed in her tweet profile and now they’re unfortunately linked. every time i see something from that show i just remember those stupid tweets because that’s the first association i had with them.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

turn your monitor on

Only 5 pages in and we're already having our first pissy slap fight! :thumbsup: Please just put each other on ignore and go back to posting cool videos. I was really hoping we could leave this kind of poo poo behind in the last thread.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGtgT5uOtnQ

Which if you watch the original video it's from, the jokes in the song make more sense. But the song on its own is still like... a really good song. He attempts to parody Justin Beiber's song and just ends up making a really good song. He's made some good songs in general:

Speaking of parodies of Justin Beiber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5NZwcSsK8I

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bad Wolf posted:

I've never watched The Game Grumps until this week when I checked out their playthrough of Doki Doki Literature Club. It was hilarious for a variety of reasons.

A) Please check out the house party LPs.

B) The Reese's Pieces Bit is eternally trapped in my head.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Some online reviewers that I've encountered that I have opinions about -- apologies in advance for any possible repeats (edited to include some examples):

* Vito's reviews of Rise of Skywalker and The Last Jedi were entertaining. Quinton Reviews's TRoS review was pretty great too, as was Jenny Nicholson's, as was RLM's, but they were all mentioned already.

* Mysterious Mr. Enter has a lot of interesting insights on animation, good and bad. That said, once I realized that he makes at least one "this might be the worst [thing] I've ever seen in my life" statement per Animated Atrocities video, it kind of ruined it for me. NEVER MIND.

* blameitonjorge has a lot of well-researched, offputting-but-in-a-good-way videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8Oln7D_60

* Pop Culture Detective has very well-researched & -edited pop culture/trope critiques. The "Born Sexy Yesterday" video is just so, so, so disgusting, informative, and insightful -- same with the ones about male sexual assault as comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thpEyEwi80

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 21, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Since this is a new thread, I'll share once again that I have a thread in Post My Favorites where I post lots of videos I watch that I think are worth sharing. They're not all videos that would fit in this thread (since it's all based on my personal tastes) but I think people who read this thread might find some interesting stuff in there.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Anyway I mentioned this in the last thread but one of my best friends Devin @Wildpotatoindustries is doing youtube and their vids are alot of fun

Here's my favorite that they did: (and I'm not just saying that because they gave me a shout out in it lmao)

Techno-Pessimism: The Aesthetic of the 2000s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S26nmmF6n08&ab_channel=WildPotatoIndustries

Here's some more stuff they did

Menial Mundanity: A Tale of Dead-End Jobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPE6fz1Xqyw&ab_channel=WildPotatoIndustries

Panzer Dragoon Saga: The Sega Saturn's Somber Swan Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pggjviGok&t=924s&ab_channel=WildPotatoIndustries

Check em out!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

YeahTubaMike posted:

* Mysterious Mr. Enter has a lot of interesting insights on animation, good and bad. That said, once I realized that he makes at least one "this might be the worst [thing] I've ever seen in my life" statement per Animated Atrocities video, it kind of ruined it for me.

I guess you haven't heard but Mr. Enter is a huge chud. They say insane poo poo like "false rape accusations are an epidemic" and "BLM is a terrorist group"

I'd avoid him :yikes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Jamie Faith posted:

I guess you haven't heard but Mr. Enter is a huge chud. They say insane poo poo like "false rape accusations are an epidemic" and "BLM is a terrorist group"

I'd avoid him :yikes:

Ummmmmmmm what the gently caress? :stare:

I have not heard that at all, but it's very disappointing. Where and when did they say this -- and why??

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Baller Ina posted:

Stumbled across this guy somehow about a week ago and can confirm, its a neat channel. He tries his best to recreate drinks from fiction/video games, and tastes each one and gives you a pretty thorough review of each. There's also some videos about real-life stuff, including a video about gross drinks that really appeared in recipe books, which surprised me. I though the video was going to be "let's mix random gross stuff and taste it!" but no, beef fizz really did show up in history at some point!

One of his counterparts is The Educated Barfly: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu9ArHUJZadlhwt3Jt0tqgA

A little more dry than How To Drink but also a good source of info. Both have kinda exhausted the well of common cocktails by now and are doing more experimental ones but both are good; I prefer TEB for a little lighter on the zany.

For a little more SCIENCE! you can try out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-o0CfpOyFJOfyWKtqS1hZQ Cocktail Chemistry.

Neither of these delve quite as much into pop culture HTD but they're interesting channels. And useful when you're locked down for several months with an adequate supply of alcohol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I have not heard that at all, but it's very disappointing. Where and when did they say this -- and why??

I haven't watched him in years but the false rape accusation was from his video on Homer Badman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A) Please check out the house party LPs.

B) The Reese's Pieces Bit is eternally trapped in my head.

How’s it goin’ dude? Stayin’ away from the alcohol?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I haven't seen those posts from Mr. Enter that Jamie is referencing but also I mostly stopped watching him after he made a series of videos about social media platforms that clearly showed he was out of his depth yet he continued making them. It's too bad because I mostly enjoyed his review videos (taking into account his somewhat strange tastes) but those told me he didn't really know his own limits. Also at some point I unsubscribed from him but I can't remember exactly why/when... *looks at his upload history* oh it's a video about the pandemic from April where the first five minutes basically boils down to "social distancing requirements are ~a massive government overreach~".

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 22, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

YeahTubaMike posted:

Like what arcsquad said, the false rape accusation thing was in his homer badman review. I believe the blm comment was on his deviant art IIRC ( I heard about it second hand)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea even without that poo poo mr enter is a complete shallow wad who can't actually review storytelling or anything. Like, watch two videos and it becomes clear he thinks characters doing bad things mean they're the bad guy even if A) it's a loving joke show or B) it's a not joke show and the bad thing is setup for them to learn a lesson and all, and he seems to genuinely get confused by people interacting in ways deeper than 'hello batman I am the villain' 'hello villain I am the batman I'm going to punch your dick now' 'oh no not my dick, that's the place I least want to get punched'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With all that said the amount of harassment the guy gets is unwarranted. Criticizing his analysis and his weird takes is one thing but there is a Chris-chan style hate group that actively torments him. Don't be like that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you're in to pokemon and want something to put on in the background, Jrose11 does a bunch of videos where he tries to beat Pokemon Red/Blue (and very occasionally other titles) with just one pokemon, no items allowed in battle. This ranges from the actual starters, to legendaries, to an Abra that he's not allowed to evolve and can only teach physical moves.

His videos can be pretty long and it's not exactly super riveting content visuals-wise, which is why I recommend it more as a background thing, but I've quite enjoyed his stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How’s it goin’ dude? Stayin’ away from the alcohol?

Arin walking into the room with his dick out and screaming in frustration when he realizes at least 3 times a playthrough is the best.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Arin walking into the room with his dick out and screaming in frustration when he realizes at least 3 times a playthrough is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47utqrKqjA

Every episode of that series is a joy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

sexpig by night posted:

yea even without that poo poo mr enter is a complete shallow wad who can't actually review storytelling or anything.

I think the only storytelling critique I saw him get right was the one about the Arthur episode where Arthur punches DW after she spends at least a whole day torturing him.

quote:

Like, watch two videos and it becomes clear he thinks characters doing bad things mean they're the bad guy even if A) it's a loving joke show or B) it's a not joke show and the bad thing is setup for them to learn a lesson and all, and he seems to genuinely get confused by people interacting in ways deeper than 'hello batman I am the villain' 'hello villain I am the batman I'm going to punch your dick now' 'oh no not my dick, that's the place I least want to get punched'.

I'm trying not to defend him while also trying not to backpedal, because I have enjoyed a few of his videos, but I realize that what I like about them is specifically about his animation-related takes and the animations themselves -- cheap production, the various ways in which production CAN be cheap, bad voice acting, etc.. The atrocities in particular are like museum artifacts, and I guess I never cared all that much what he has to say about the actual plots.

At any rate, it's probably best that we all forget about him regardless.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think the only storytelling critique I saw him get right was the one about the Arthur episode where Arthur punches DW after she spends at least a whole day torturing him.

I'm trying not to defend him while also trying not to backpedal, because I have enjoyed a few of his videos, but I realize that what I like about them is specifically about his animation-related takes and the animations themselves -- cheap production, the various ways in which production CAN be cheap, bad voice acting, etc.. The atrocities in particular are like museum artifacts, and I guess I never cared all that much what he has to say about the actual plots.

Oh yeah, I get it. I use to watch him too. He's in the same vein as early nostalgia critic where it's just some guy making fun of obviously bad media. That can be alot of fun even if it's shallow analysis.

YeahTubaMike posted:

At any rate, it's probably best that we all forget about him regardless.
:agreed:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Re: The Lilo hate, it was only partially that the two OPs found Lilo to be an obnoxious, unlikable child and hog tied themselves up in loopy justifications for why she should have been more rational and mature. They also digressed into this whole thing about native Hawaiians being racist against white people and somehow thought the movie supported "Kill Haole Day" because they're right-wing racists who support child detention centers. On top of all that, they thought the movie took place in the 1970s despite it obviously being set in then-present day (you can even see Nani bought a New Beetle in the end credits!)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alaois posted:

'japan absolutle despises Lilo' is the 'tide pod challenge moral panic' of animation

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47utqrKqjA

Every episode of that series is a joy.

The first few eps are a little slow but they so quickly turn from being bored to being in love with the game it's amazing.

An All timer LP right there.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Re: The Lilo hate, it was only partially that the two OPs found Lilo to be an obnoxious, unlikable child and hog tied themselves up in loopy justifications for why she should have been more rational and mature. They also digressed into this whole thing about native Hawaiians being racist against white people and somehow thought the movie supported "Kill Haole Day" because they're right-wing racists who support child detention centers. On top of all that, they thought the movie took place in the 1970s despite it obviously being set in then-present day (you can even see Nani bought a New Beetle in the end credits!)

I might be mixing two things up here, but didn't the person who started that conversation have a tier on their Patreon which allowed the Patron to name any topic and they would start Discourse about it?

If so, I'm going to guess she wasn't talking in good faith. :ghost:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I might be mixing two things up here, but didn't the person who started that conversation have a tier on their Patreon which allowed the Patron to name any topic and they would start Discourse about it?

going so deep on your patreon mandate discourse that you seed posts months in advance advocating immigrant detention centers

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Queer Salutations posted:

People Make Games - Chris Bratt (of Eurogamer) and Quintin Smith (of Shut Up & Sit Down) tell the stories of the people involved in games, both developers and Gamers. "Can you really get rich in the world's only "cash-based" MMO?" is a wild watch.

People make games is really great. the closest game journalism has ever gotten to actual journalism.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i like to watch people make crafty things while i work.

dollightful does really elaborate custom doll modifications which i find fascinating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeOCoWs2qhs

bobby duke art is a channel i literally found and watched one video of today and i think i'm interested enough to watch the rest of his channel. i'm not a fan of the wacky humor/skits random bits, but tbh having done big projects i can kind of understand it because you can go crazy if you don't do something different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSDHxf2_uH4

dainty gifts is less ~wacky~ than the previous two. it's a decoupage crafts tutorial and i honestly find it a little soothing because she plays soft music in the background and has a really calm sounding voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00EPc1UXoeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JordanKai posted:

I'm not seeing a patreon for either of them, but I just did a quick backwards search from googling "bad Lilo and Stitch takes" and looked at their twitter/tumblr accounts. If I remember right, the whole thing started with one of them ranting in a twitch stream about Lilo and Stitch and dumping her thoughts on tumblr later, but she's deleted the original posts now so it's hard to tell.