Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The MSJ posted:

The writer of Raya is literally a Malaysian. I hope it’s good.

https://twitter.com/shuurens/status/1318929515419111425

This popped up in my feed.

Yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
...that's every medieval fantasy setting ever written, though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I think saying "we borrowed from a lot of these different places to create a fictional land" is not an egregious error.

Now if you were specifically trying to create, say, Myanmar and THEN borrowed from all of those others then that would be bad. But... mishmashes of different places to create a fictional land is not something new or really even frowned upon as far as I can think.

The only thing I would criticize about it is that maybe you miss the opportunity to highlight a place a lot of people aren't familiar with. But Disney, I'm sure, ultimately saw this as a way to try to not have any rakes to step on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I get the point the tweeter is trying to make, but they're applying it to something (Europe, not questioning their familiarity with East Asia) they obviously have zero knowledge about and looking a bit silly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think that complaint stems from like, how maybe Frozen was very specifically influenced by Scandinavian culture, Moana by Polynesian culture, and Raya maybe could have been an opportunity to highlight and uplift any specific Southeast Asian culture, but instead went for a hodgepodge. I get it, but I don't think it's any sort of deal breaker.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Poor Wales.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
those are all southeast asian countries that are very near to each other. it would be different if it said it was inspired by china, india, japan, the philippines, and sri lanka

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was gonna say...

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Thought the song in the Raya trailer was original but it's not. It also owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWew5BPiSM

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

I think that complaint stems from like, how maybe Frozen was very specifically influenced by Scandinavian culture, Moana by Polynesian culture, and Raya maybe could have been an opportunity to highlight and uplift any specific Southeast Asian culture, but instead went for a hodgepodge. I get it, but I don't think it's any sort of deal breaker.

And the point is there's also no such thing as a uniform "Scandinavian culture". Frozen absolutely picks and chooses what it thinks is cool from multiple countries.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

From Software is canceled.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

MonsieurChoc posted:

I also have to kind of laugh at that Twitter takedown of Mulan, since most of the historical inaccuracies she points out aren't even as bad as what you'd find in your average movie set in medieval Europe.

In fact, it seems that the people behind Mulan actually went out of their way to make it more accurate than the average historical epic, probably to avoid criticism of lazy cultural appropriation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MeinPanzer posted:

I also have to kind of laugh at that Twitter takedown of Mulan, since most of the historical inaccuracies she points out aren't even as bad as what you'd find in your average movie set in medieval Europe.

In fact, it seems that the people behind Mulan actually went out of their way to make it more accurate than the average historical epic, probably to avoid criticism of lazy cultural appropriation.

She points out that it's not a "takedown" or meant as actual criticism, but meant solely for educational purposes, and I found it fascinating as I didn't know most of what she was talking about, so I don't see it as a problem.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember one of those history accounts on Twitter pointing out that it's easier to find Africans than potatoes in medieval Europe.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

thrawn527 posted:

She points out that it's not a "takedown" or meant as actual criticism, but meant solely for educational purposes, and I found it fascinating as I didn't know most of what she was talking about, so I don't see it as a problem.

I don't see it as a problem, and takedown was too harsh a word. All I meant was that such a thorough analysis of historicity was enlightening when compared to other depictions of the European distant past.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Twitter is all abuzz with incorrect info, jesus what a cesspit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

And the point is there's also no such thing as a uniform "Scandinavian culture". Frozen absolutely picks and chooses what it thinks is cool from multiple countries.

Wikipedia tells me Frozen explicitly culls inspiration from Norway :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The folklore Frozen pulls from is almost entirely Norwegian and Danish, but afaik there's some Finnish and Swedish aesthetics mixed in here and there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

Wikipedia tells me Frozen explicitly culls inspiration from Norway :shrug:

Wikipedia is wrong. For one thing it's based on a Danish fairy tale.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98sMgN0LXQ

Pleasantly surprised by this. Maybe that it's my expectations were extremely low, but even though it seems to be motion comic-style limited animation the art direction looks to be solid. Based on the animation company's previous work I was expecting something far less true to classic horror comics.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This Netflick is about a prom I think. Not sure if the adult characters are in her head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9v3f35l5Y

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's happening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62fQ9MC0K8

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Skyline 3, in which the aliens have awful chili recipes from Ohio that include cinnamon and chocolate.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Starcraft 2: The Movie.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Taking the fight to the aliens' home planet was the intended plot of the third Independence Day movie, but this actually got made.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
did i miss skyline 2

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

did i miss skyline 2

I think that's the one that took place in Thailand or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

did i miss skyline 2

Skyline 2 had Frank Grillo and Iko Uwais.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Skyline 2 had Frank Grillo and Iko Uwais.

I thought that was the first one.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

teagone posted:

The first one had Turk from Scrubs and some other guy with a dumb face.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did the RE movies really make so much money that Capcom was favorably inclined to let Anderson and Jovovich have a crack at yet another franchise?

I got curious and took a peek at Wikipedia. Says the combined budget for the Resident Evil film franchise is $288 million, and combined they made $1.233 billion. I'd say that's a pretty decent success.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

Skyline
The first one was a relatively simple movie. The main character Jarrod and his pregnant wife Elaine was trying to hide from the invasion. The aliens hypnotize people with blue light and then hoover them up into their ships. At the end Jarrod and Elaine were both abducted by the mothership, and Jarrod had his brain extracted like everyone else who was abducted and his brain is then used to power these robot drones. Elaine being pregnant was being saved for something else. But somehow Jarrod gained control of his alien drone body and destroys the other drones to rescue Elaine. The movie ends with both safe but unable to escape the ship.

Skyline 2 act 1
The start of the sequel overlaps with Skyline. Mark just arrested his son Trent when the invasion happened. They escaped through the city with a group of other survivors. At one point Trent was hypnotized by the blue light that Mark managed to grab him before the alien got to him. Note that the same thing happened to Jarrod in the first movie. At one point the military managed to down the mothership but it manages to regenerate. Then the apparent mothership captain used a mecha to capture them.

Skyline 2 act 2
Trent was also debrained and became a drone. However he can momentarily gain control from time to time. It appears that anyone initially exposed to the light can gain resistance to it. Then Mark and some of the other survivors found Jarrod and Elaine within the bowels of the ship. Elaine dies giving birth to a daughter and Jarrod fights the mothership captain with the help of Mark. They blew up the engine of the mothership, but Jarrod was killed in the process.

Skyline 2 act 3
The ship crashes somewhere in South East Asia where Mark, Elaine's baby and a few others comes across an apparent drug trafficking militia who became anti-alien resistance fighters. They are led by Sua (Iko Uwais) and The Chief (Yayan Ruhiyan). The mothership was damaged beyond regeneration but the command module or whatever detaches to become a gunship with the alien captain and Trent both surviving. The aliens than stages an attack on the resistance including killing Sua's sister an then attack their hideout. Elaine and Jarrod's baby Rose grows up hyper fast, becoming a child in a matter of hours. Then they discover she can control alien tech including reversing the hypnotization and free the human brains controlling the drones. With the help of Mark and Trent in a moment of clarity, Rose took over the alien device within the alien gunship and suddenly the alien captain lost all his drones. So he tries to destroy them using his mecha. Trent pilots his own alien mecha and fights the alien captain, killing him with Rose's help. The movie ends with Rose, Mark, and Trent commandeering three alien motherships and an army of humans and liberated drones to destroy the main fleet in Earth's orbit.

Yes, the second movie was like that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Skyline
The first one was a relatively simple movie. The main character Jarrod and his pregnant wife Elaine was trying to hide from the invasion. The aliens hypnotize people with blue light and then hoover them up into their ships. At the end Jarrod and Elaine were both abducted by the mothership, and Jarrod had his brain extracted like everyone else who was abducted and his brain is then used to power these robot drones. Elaine being pregnant was being saved for something else. But somehow Jarrod gained control of his alien drone body and destroys the other drones to rescue Elaine. The movie ends with both safe but unable to escape the ship.

Skyline 2 act 1
The start of the sequel overlaps with Skyline. Mark just arrested his son Trent when the invasion happened. They escaped through the city with a group of other survivors. At one point Trent was hypnotized by the blue light that Mark managed to grab him before the alien got to him. Note that the same thing happened to Jarrod in the first movie. At one point the military managed to down the mothership but it manages to regenerate. Then the apparent mothership captain used a mecha to capture them.

Skyline 2 act 2
Trent was also debrained and became a drone. However he can momentarily gain control from time to time. It appears that anyone initially exposed to the light can gain resistance to it. Then Mark and some of the other survivors found Jarrod and Elaine within the bowels of the ship. Elaine dies giving birth to a daughter and Jarrod fights the mothership captain with the help of Mark. They blew up the engine of the mothership, but Jarrod was killed in the process.

Skyline 2 act 3
The ship crashes somewhere in South East Asia where Mark, Elaine's baby and a few others comes across an apparent drug trafficking militia who became anti-alien resistance fighters. They are led by Sua (Iko Uwais) and The Chief (Yayan Ruhiyan). The mothership was damaged beyond regeneration but the command module or whatever detaches to become a gunship with the alien captain and Trent both surviving. The aliens than stages an attack on the resistance including killing Sua's sister an then attack their hideout. Elaine and Jarrod's baby Rose grows up hyper fast, becoming a child in a matter of hours. Then they discover she can control alien tech including reversing the hypnotization and free the human brains controlling the drones. With the help of Mark and Trent in a moment of clarity, Rose took over the alien device within the alien gunship and suddenly the alien captain lost all his drones. So he tries to destroy them using his mecha. Trent pilots his own alien mecha and fights the alien captain, killing him with Rose's help. The movie ends with Rose, Mark, and Trent commandeering three alien motherships and an army of humans and liberated drones to destroy the main fleet in Earth's orbit.

Yes, the second movie was like that.

skyline 2 sounds badass

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's pretty cool for what it is, worth the watch if you want to see some alien pew pew.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skyline 2 was the movie they originally wanted to make, but they didn't have the budget.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The first movie had been going down the road of nihilistic horror and I was very on board with it. Then the Saved By The Power Of Love stuff happened at the end, and it just gave me whiplash and soured my whole perception.

Maybe I'll give it re-watch with a 50s SciFi Movie Cheese mindset and enjoy it for what it is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Proteus Jones posted:

The first movie had been going down the road of nihilistic horror and I was very on board with it. Then the Saved By The Power Of Love stuff happened at the end, and it just gave me whiplash and soured my whole perception.

Maybe I'll give it re-watch with a 50s SciFi Movie Cheese mindset and enjoy it for what it is.

Nobody's talking about Interstellar

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BonoMan posted:

:eyepop:God drat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

:lmao:

Adbot