Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sending a solo pawn out to caravan and/or calling bulk goods traders from all settlements ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Sending a solo pawn out to caravan and/or calling bulk goods traders from all settlements ASAP.

There's something very Rimworld about loading a pawn down with Pemmican and telling them "don't come back until you have some cows"

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

There's something very Rimworld about loading a pawn down with Pemmican and telling them "don't come back until you have some cows"

Here's a club, 1000 silver, and some pemmican. Find us cows and huskies. If you don't, we'll find you and feed you to the huskies we eventually get.

We are getting loving huskies.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where are you guys getting huskies and cows from early in the game? I'm seeing that the merchant who sells domestic animals shows up fairly rarely.
Every settlement has at least 2 kinds of domestic animals for sale

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Well I just hit a fun and probably game ending bug. My pawns can now only deposit into the deep storage food bins, it cannot be retrieved to cook. So unless there is food in the field, my cooks have nothing to work with.

Also they some how keep putting meals into a deep storage freezer that is specifically set to not contain meals.

So I guess the moral of the story is to find a new storage mod, what are some alternatives?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Here's a club, 1000 silver, and some pemmican. Find us cows and huskies. If you don't, we'll find you and feed you to the huskies we eventually get.

We are getting loving huskies.

I guffawed. Thank you. I also learned something; I didn't realize I could send "caravans" of one person, and was waiting until I could spare five or six pawns to go out together.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I guffawed. Thank you. I also learned something; I didn't realize I could send "caravans" of one person, and was waiting until I could spare five or six pawns to go out together.

Send someone you don't care about. I think there is a chance that they get ambushed as they travel on the world map.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Send someone you don't care about. I think there is a chance that they get ambushed as they travel on the world map.

I've never needed to but can't you just run from ambushes, by moving all your pawns to the opposite edge of the map? Enemies spawn at range so as long as you're not too slow (and not fighting wizards) you can avoid getting forced into combat. Thought you might need to zone animals near there too so they move away from the enemies.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

The smaller the caravan, the less the chance they'll get ambushed. Check the "visibility" stat.

If you've got any trained animals, especially herbivores during times they can graze while on caravan and are otherwise not needed, sending a few of those along with the pawn that can use them for attack means that just about any ambush is going to spawn with super low point scores such that you'll often be fighting a naked frail 70yo tribal or a cat. A single colonist with a revolver and an alpaca (or boar, or donkey, or...) or two will fairly easily dispatch just about any ambush coming their way.

I've never checked about running away tbh. The ambushes are usually so small as to be laughable. Coming back from raids with 5 kitted out assault pawns and 3 tribals with clubs show up demanding their power armor.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Demon_Corsair posted:

Well I just hit a fun and probably game ending bug. My pawns can now only deposit into the deep storage food bins, it cannot be retrieved to cook. So unless there is food in the field, my cooks have nothing to work with.

Also they some how keep putting meals into a deep storage freezer that is specifically set to not contain meals.

So I guess the moral of the story is to find a new storage mod, what are some alternatives?

I've had some issues with storage mods like this, two ideas:

1) Deconstruct it and everything inside should spill out like a punctured bag of holding.
2) Click on the storage locker and look at the contents list, there could be an arrow that when clicked will spit the stack out onto the floor. I did this for awhile after one release made my weapons lockers buggy, it was workable since I didn't change weapons past crafting binges/new recruits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The way caravans work, the more pawns you send, the more likely they are to get into trouble.

So what you generally want is to send out the minimum number of best suited pawns, so people with good foraging, high move speed etc.

If you send out one man caravans they will very very rarely get into trouble I find, and they might be able to run away from it too. The downside is they can't carry much, but if you're just buying animals that is OK as they can carry themselves. However animals count for caravan size so you will be more likely to have trouble coming home.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The actual big problems with caravanning are the basics; medicine, bedding, clothing, and food.

Ambushes are always a possibility but their danger ends up being kind of overblown because they are dramatic and you remember it more poignantly. In most cases you really just want to make sure there’s enough food (but not so much it slows you down), and sufficient medicine (which is easier to estimate). Then it’s just a matter of double checking the weather to make sure people will be warm or cool enough, and that there are sufficient and appropriate bedrolls for the expedition (do send a double bedroll if you have a couple out there).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You need 1 noble with high animals and high social, that's your trader and then you bring along a bunch of elephants. The noble dumps Berserk Pulse and/or Vertigo Pulse on any ambushing enemies, and the elephants clean up whatever's left.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I keep forgetting to pack bedrolls.

A good way to do food is to make sure your caravan pawns get plant work training, because that helps them forage and that basically just gives you a reliable food consumption offset, greatly reducing the amount you need to carry. Especially if you do a tribal start as tribal type factions get an inherent bonus to foraging.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yup plants work became extremely important to cross train everyone on once caravanning got properly fleshed out. I will quite frequently have a giant rice or haygrass field that is zoned such that the people with 8+ plants ignore it specifically so I can get people training on it.

Spare food just becomes drop podded gifts or fodder for requested bulk traders so who cares about storing it all

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

DoubleNegative posted:

*comes back with beans*

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If you have a noble with farskip, a neat trick you can do is load them and a bunch of trade goods into a drop pod, launch it to a friendly settlement you want to trade with, buy whatever you want to your heart's content (weight limit does not matter), and instantly farskip back to your home base.

Another cool synergy is if that noble has chosen royal shuttle as one of their permits. You can call in a shuttle, load it up with a hit squad loaded for bear, bust up whatever hostile camp is bugging you, then instantly farskip back home.

It's seriously one of my favorite utility powers and cancels out the needs for caravans for me late game.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

moot the hopple posted:

If you have a noble with farskip, a neat trick you can do is load them and a bunch of trade goods into a drop pod, launch it to a friendly settlement you want to trade with, buy whatever you want to your heart's content (weight limit does not matter), and instantly farskip back to your home base.

Another cool synergy is if that noble has chosen royal shuttle as one of their permits. You can call in a shuttle, load it up with a hit squad loaded for bear, bust up whatever hostile camp is bugging you, then instantly farskip back home.

It's seriously one of my favorite utility powers and cancels out the needs for caravans for me late game.
Another version of this I found with the real ruins mod was to send a shuttle full of scavengers as soon as it spawned while having my noble form a caravan with all the pack animals. Then he farskipped 4000kg of carry weight to the ruins to loot everything.

If you have a second noble you can then farskip the gang + animals back home too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Coolguye posted:

The actual big problems with caravanning are the basics; medicine, bedding, clothing, and food.

Ambushes are always a possibility but their danger ends up being kind of overblown because they are dramatic and you remember it more poignantly. In most cases you really just want to make sure there’s enough food (but not so much it slows you down), and sufficient medicine (which is easier to estimate). Then it’s just a matter of double checking the weather to make sure people will be warm or cool enough, and that there are sufficient and appropriate bedrolls for the expedition (do send a double bedroll if you have a couple out there).
The wealth carried on the caravan affects the ambush size

So if you're hauling solid gold or your body weight worth of drugs be careful. Or if one of your pawns has 20k wealth because they have every bionic and psychic upgrade.

Also I'm pretty sure you should just always pack double bedrolls, colonists don't seem to mind sharing them with people other than their partner when caravanning (and partners don't seem to do any lovin' while caravanning either)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Also I'm pretty sure you should just always pack double bedrolls, colonists don't seem to mind sharing them with people other than their partner when caravanning (and partners don't seem to do any lovin' while caravanning either)

And pawns give no shits about lovin' on the regular in the colony barracks.

wtf Tynan again you with the lack of reality in relationships

thinking about it, well maybe halfway

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

TSBX posted:

I've found that using the Seeds Please mod really makes you think about how to manage your crops.

Did a Vikings start and raided a colony to find a field of slow growing bearberries, and no seeds in the stockroom, which made food uncomfortable for a while, especially considering the lack of tech for a freezer.

Additionally I use the Real Fog of War mod so I can't see animals if my pawns don't have LoS which means hunting expeditions are a thing.

Can you tell me more about that seeds mod? I've been looking for a farming mod that makes it harder rather than easier, and that one sounds good, but the description is kinda sparse.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Sure, it adds a plant processing bench that you use to process 4-6 raw crops into seeds. When you harvest crops you also get seeds, but not a full 1:1 ratio, and that means you have to be sure to save some corn instead of immediately cooking it all. There's also a mega patch mod that add compatibility for a lot of mods that add new plants.

Oh, that bench is also used to turn raw healroot into Herbal Medicine.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does anyone know how the dubs hygiene sprinklers work? I had a bunch in a room hooked up to water, and then they just didn't do anything when the room caught on fire. What a waste of the few components I have left.

My plan to sell something other then drugs has failed. I have whiskey going all the time but forgot to restrict it so I think it was being drank as fast as it was being made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they might need to actually be on fire themselves, alternatively you can, I think, tell a pawn to activate them by selecting the pawn and right clicking the sprinkler and they will spray the area around them, so they are better for aiding firefighting rather than actually making you immune to fire.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone know how the dubs hygiene sprinklers work? I had a bunch in a room hooked up to water, and then they just didn't do anything when the room caught on fire. What a waste of the few components I have left.

My plan to sell something other then drugs has failed. I have whiskey going all the time but forgot to restrict it so I think it was being drank as fast as it was being made.

...it never even occurred to me, to use these for fire suppression! They give a fertility buff to tiles they water, so I’ve always just gridded out my fields with them, to grow more corn to trade for more components

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

There's two different sprinklers, one for fire suppression and one for irrigation. The fire ones are red, if I remember right while the irritation sprinklers are green.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DoubleNegative posted:

irritation sprinklers
:D

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Haha welp. It was bound to happen eventually if I tablet posted enough.

But now i kinda want an item that gives a temporary -5 mood malus to make those irritation sprinklers a reality.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DoubleNegative posted:

Haha welp. It was bound to happen eventually if I tablet posted enough.

But now i kinda want an item that gives a temporary -5 mood malus to make those irritation sprinklers a reality.

I'm imagining a corridor of things that are vaguely unpleasant in order to make raiders so uncomfortable that some of them start breaking.

Speaking of that, I think that's why I dislike mechanoids - they just don't interact with a lot of the systems that Rimworld has in place. It does make them much more challenging when they don't have the same weaknesses as fleshy beings, but it makes them boring to fight.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One thing I've recently learned and incorporated into my static defenses for mechs is to place a firefoam popper to deal with centipedes with inferno cannons. The dispersed foam not only puts out fires but will also prevent fire from catching onto the areas it's covering for subsequent attacks. The annoying thing is that direct inferno cannon hits will still set your colonists on fire and panic them out of position, though I believe the newer phoenix armor is supposed to help with that. Haven't tried it yet, but if so, might be worth incorporating into my colonist loadout.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A big thing for limiting the damage that inferno cannon shots can do is to build walls between your soldiers, so that a shot that hits one isn't going to splash onto the one next to them. Doesn't help the original target but at least their buddies can drag them away from the fight since they aren't also on fire/exploded.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Facebook Aunt posted:

What the heck, Koneinora?

They want to take 3/4 of my population for half a year. What kind of harvest are they trying to gather?

You have to harvest antigrain veeery carefully.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

is there a mod that makes royalty recognize all the various mod furniture??????????

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

strong bird posted:

is there a mod that makes royalty recognize all the various mod furniture??????????

Sometimes mod makers have patches. In other cases, you can edit it yourself, it's pretty simple. Just adding a tag I think.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i found one that works

says its for 1.1 but works so far on 1.2 for all the stuff i tested (gloomy)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2020869152

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

strong bird posted:

i found one that works

says its for 1.1 but works so far on 1.2 for all the stuff i tested (gloomy)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2020869152

There's an official patch for Vanilla Expanded.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2260012940

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i got that one too

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone know what mods Pete Complete uses in his more recent videos?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone know what mods Pete Complete uses in his more recent videos?

Doesnt look like he provided a list which is odd, any particular building/item/etc you are wondering about/specific video in which they are displayed? Im pretty familair with most mods even if I don't run them my self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I was curious myself about the one that turns lights/workbenches on and off when they/the room aren't in use.