Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I found the Novelist's Son random cargo right next to his prepper hut. Just go drive around his part of the map and you should get lucky.

I finished the western roads after five starring most of Middle America's people. After you have connected everyone, you can just take a truck and drive around door to door collecting metal and ceramics and then go dump them in the autopavers. Shouldn't take that many trips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also usually cargo for the Novelist's Son in the weeds right outside the nearby Distro Center. That's where I always found it anyway.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I really wish you could replay missions because goddamn I want some screenshots of the supercells with the new photo mode :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was surprised there's no chapter select given how much emphasis the game puts on em whenever you reach a new one. It would be cool to be able to change to whichever world state you like from the menu or private room in the post-game.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
This is the first Kojima game I’ve ever really given a shot and I love it. Which one should I play next?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Milosh posted:

This is the first Kojima game I’ve ever really given a shot and I love it. Which one should I play next?

If you can handle ps1 nostalgia gaming: MGS1

If you can't: MGSV

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you can handle ps1 nostalgia gaming: MGS1

If you can't: MGSV

If you’re not sure, MGS3 if you have something you can play it on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dont worry about not getting the plot of mgsv ive played through every canon game in the series and it still only made like half sense

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Cant go wrong with 3 or 1, if you like those 2, if you really like all those: 4 and if you cant find a ps3 or whatever to play it on you can watch like 85% of what happens in 4 via the cutscenes on youtube. 4 is very much a love letter to hardcore fans who know al the plot poo poo.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I got this game recently and I’m in chapter 3. Some things are starting to make more sense.

What’s the point of supply requests? When would I want to use one versus just making the thing myself?

Also, tips for fighting mules? The tip that keeps popping up says use L2 to ready the strand and R2 to tie a guy up. But I don’t see any animation when I press L2 even when it’s equipped and I’ve never gotten R2 to do anything. Sam just stands there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hold L2 and for the Strand, press R2 while holding it at the ready to use it. You can use it to parry attacks or tie enemies up from behind while sneaking (and also tie them up during combat if you run behind them real fast like a cool guy).

And regarding supply requests, it's kind of an abandoned mechanic. You can fulfill supply requests for others at some point but I don't remember when you unlock it, maybe once you've plopped one down yourself. Given the randomness of player connectivity there's just not really a reason to submit one, since there's no guarantee it'll be filled in a reasonable timespan. It's just another small way to bring other people into your Bridge Links and have their structures et al show up in your world, I guess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 21, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

dantheman650 posted:

I got this game recently and I’m in chapter 3. Some things are starting to make more sense.

What’s the point of supply requests? When would I want to use one versus just making the thing myself?

Also, tips for fighting mules? The tip that keeps popping up says use L2 to ready the strand and R2 to tie a guy up. But I don’t see any animation when I press L2 even when it’s equipped and I’ve never gotten R2 to do anything. Sam just stands there.

-There isn't much point. I guess it could be useful in certain situations where you can't risk hiking to the next station over. Do one for the cheevo I guess.
-Fighting mules sucks until you unlock the bola gun, at which point it becomes fun and profitable. I'd suggest you try to avoid them til then. Anyway I don't remember the strand controls all that well, but I think the idea is to hold L2, then tap R2 when you're close to stealth-takedown the MULEs (or parry them when they attack).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Another powerful weapon against MULEs is throwing containers at them or slapping them. Resins are probably the least precious resource so fling those orange briefcases at them with wild abandon or give them a delivery upside the face.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Midjack posted:

Another powerful weapon against MULEs is throwing containers at them or slapping them. Resins are probably the least precious resource so fling those orange briefcases at them with wild abandon or give them a delivery upside the face.

When I’m all loaded up, how do I easily pick what container to throw at them? Do I have to go into the cargo menu and unload something to my hand first?

Also I just got the bola gun so I’m looking forward to giving that a try.

I was holding L2 - I guess from the above posts it doesn’t do anything unless you’re behind someone or parrying? Like if I face a mule head on, hold L2, then press R2, nothing happens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you have the Strand equipped? It's a separate item in your equipment menu next to the Make Norman Reedus Piss button (hold right d-pad).

The easiest way to get cargo to hurl when fighting MULEs is to grab it off the ground with L2 or R2. Usually when you knock a guy out any cargo on his person will pop off and fall to the ground. Swing it with Square and let go of L2/R2 to let it fly at the nearest sorry bastard who is about to take 32 kg of underwear to the face.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 21, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

When I’m all loaded up, how do I easily pick what container to throw at them? Do I have to go into the cargo menu and unload something to my hand first?

Also I just got the bola gun so I’m looking forward to giving that a try.

I was holding L2 - I guess from the above posts it doesn’t do anything unless you’re behind someone or parrying? Like if I face a mule head on, hold L2, then press R2, nothing happens.

Yes, you have to load a package to your hand and then remember to hold L2 or R2 depending on which hand you put it in so you don't immediately drop it. Alternately grab something off the ground; once you KO an adversary whatever they were carrying will be dumped on the ground.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TheMostFrench posted:

This part here is really annoying for rebuilding roads. I hope a person appears at some point in the future because there are 3 or 4 pavers in there which are off the network and require like 7k - 9k ceramics each.

Try not to fill them before you get the region on the chiral network. Once you get a star from the region, you'll see contributions.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Real pros play on Very Hard and delete their save file if they get anything less than SSS Legend of Legend of Legends on every delivery

are you a real pro, cjacobs?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God no, how in the world are you supposed to S-Rank that timed delivery where you have to cart more than one truck's worth of beer across the entire Eastern Region in like 8 minutes. The only Great Deliverer here is Sam Porter Bridges, that guy who ports stuff for Bridges.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I'm Sam Porter Bridges, hauling Sam Bridges porter, for the porters at Bridges.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

hi my name's sam and this is a story about how I got to know my own family

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CJacobs posted:

God no, how in the world are you supposed to S-Rank that timed delivery where you have to cart more than one truck's worth of beer across the entire Eastern Region in like 8 minutes. The only Great Deliverer here is Sam Porter Bridges, that guy who ports stuff for Bridges.

I'm more wondering how you're supposed to S Rank the chilled deliveries that aren't on the mountain. It's practically impossible considering how fast they get damaged.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
my favorite s rank strat is to not actually s rank anything and just watch someone else do it on youtube

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My rank strat is to click through the results so fast I barely know what it was

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowman posted:

I'm more wondering how you're supposed to S Rank the chilled deliveries that aren't on the mountain. It's practically impossible considering how fast they get damaged.

Someone said they don’t melt in the back of a truck but I never tried it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah I tried to zipline chilled deliveries and it barely ever works, you need to use a truck, which are apparently refrigerated, I never got any cargo degradation messages that way

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Hey, my name’s Sam, too!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I sort of stopped noticing the stupid name stuff after the first five hours, but Cliff explaining that he's like a cliff killed me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I put an obscene amount of playtime in, something like 100 hours and then I stopped at heartmans chapter just to give the game a breather because of how funny the first scene in his lab is

Please don't ask me what I was doing for that time I have no idea I'm just mentioning what steam tells me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Krazyface posted:

I sort of stopped noticing the stupid name stuff after the first five hours, but Cliff explaining that he's like a cliff killed me

God I streamed the game blind and tried not to talk over the cutscenes but when that happened I just had to speak up like "no please you don't need to explain how your name is a metaphor now's not the time- okay he's doing it anyway"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If Sam Porter Bridges could port Bridget's bridges, how many Bridges bridges could Sam Porter port?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Amelie United States of America Christofer Columbus Bridges

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hi I'm Bridget Bridges

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

If Sam Porter Bridges could port Bridget's bridges, how many Bridges bridges could Sam Porter port?

yes

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

CJacobs posted:

Sam! Diehardman here. Sam, imagine four Sam Porter Bridges on the edge of a Cliff. Say a direct copy of the Sam Porter Bridges nearest the Cliff is sent to the back of the line of Sam Bridges and takes the place of the first Sam Bridges. The formerly first Sam Bridges becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth fights off the Cliff. Porting works the same way.
I know it's a challenge, but we're all counting on you, Sam!

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Sam! Diehardman here. Sam, imagine four Sam Porter Bridges on the edge of a Cliff. Say a direct copy of the Sam Porter Bridges nearest the Cliff is sent to the back of the line of Sam Bridges and takes the place of the first Sam Bridges. The formerly first Sam Bridges becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth fights off the Cliff. Porting works the same way.
I know it's a challenge, but we're all counting on you, Sam!

Covering the world in clocks didn't bring an end to war and suffering. Don't act surprised when it all comes apart if you try to do it again!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam Strand stands on sand

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaltherFeng posted:

Amelie United States of America Christofer Columbus Bridges

No no it's Amerigo "Amelie" United States of America Columbus Strand Bridges

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 22, 2020

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
oh my god these loving names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, for those that have beaten the game, did you know that in Japanese the 'pun' behind Amelie's name is different? Both are plot spoilers though so here goes:

Amelie's name even in Japanese is specifically "Amelie", not "Ameri". The Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets "Soul that's a lie" scene still happens in the Japanese version, but there's a second separate pun based on the pronunciation as it's still pronounced "Ameri" when said aloud.

Ameri. As in, America.

As in, Ameri Ka. Because she's a soul (Ka) on the Beach, and not a body (Ha).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 22, 2020