Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

I am seriously struggling to give even one iota of a poo poo about the grand final this weekend.

Port vs Lions would have been fantastic. This is just a contest of who has the most hated players.

Even with Port’s feral fans it would’ve been the best two sides on the ladder, too, but instead we’ve got a game featuring the stylings of both Tom Lynch and Tom Hawkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now if they win it next year as well... then they just are the best. Prepare yourselves mentally for that lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

realbez posted:

No threepeat, no conversation.

I really dislike the term "threepeat".

It was "Back to back to back" Thank you very much.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snaeksikn posted:

Essendon have apparently asked for one of Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay or Sam Walsh from Carlton in exchange for Saad lol

Wasn’t that last week?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think Richmond are gonna break down Geelong by early in the 4th like they typically do. I hope Carlton Draught release another Richmond beer.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

Essendon have apparently asked for one of Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay or Sam Walsh from Carlton in exchange for Saad lol

Death, Taxes and Dodoro.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

realbez posted:

No threepeat, no conversation.

That won’t stop them, they’ll claim they’ve been a better team over a longer period of time. Geelong is awful, I know, but don’t get sucked into supporting Richmond. You don’t know what you’re unleashing

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Essendon is the kid who'd make Monopoly go for hours because they refused win-win trades. Eventually they'd get sick of it and mortgage everything to buy Tullamarine Trafalgar.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

That won’t stop them, they’ll claim they’ve been a better team over a longer period of time. Geelong is awful, I know, but don’t get sucked into supporting Richmond. You don’t know what you’re unleashing

I don’t care either way because both are so bad I can’t separate them 🤷‍♂️

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Trade rumour time!

https://twitter.com/agerealfooty/status/1318386137346437120

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

thepokey posted:

That won’t stop them, they’ll claim they’ve been a better team over a longer period of time.

Hawthorn who won three in a row, lost one the year before that, were in Prelim the year before that. If Richmond don't win this year they don't even come close.

The Geelong 2007-11 team was miles better than Richmond too.

Their loss to Hawthorn in 2008 reminds me of LeBron losing to the Mavericks in 2011. If Geelong won in 2008, they are probably the best team ever assembled. If LeBron won in 2011, he could challenge Jordan as GOAT - but he never will because of that loss.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

COME BACK TO MELBOURNE JESSE

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Let's just go back to asterisking the season imo

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

In the spirit of that other poster who asked why people hate richmond - why do people hate Geelong? Genuinely curious

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Breakfast Burrito posted:

In the spirit of that other poster who asked why people hate richmond - why do people hate Geelong? Genuinely curious

Selwood would be a big part of it for me.

He ducks into a large majority of tackles expressly, (I may be very wrong but I half rememebr an interview where he said he leads with his head in the hope of getting the free kicks), and the umpires have to pay the free because he headbutted the tacklers arm.

Also, they've been very good for a long time consistently, and Chris Scott is a grumpy whingbag, and not in a fun way.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've also noticed criticism of Gary Ablett for being a Christian, Patrick Dangerfield for apparently being a liberal supporter and Tom Hawkins for reasons I don't really remember

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gary for being a Christian lol yeah that’s it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It is, glad we're agreed.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Windmill Hut posted:

Hawthorn who won three in a row, lost one the year before that, were in Prelim the year before that. If Richmond don't win this year they don't even come close.

The Geelong 2007-11 team was miles better than Richmond too.

Their loss to Hawthorn in 2008 reminds me of LeBron losing to the Mavericks in 2011. If Geelong won in 2008, they are probably the best team ever assembled. If LeBron won in 2011, he could challenge Jordan as GOAT - but he never will because of that loss.

Oh I agree totally, even if they win this year I'd put them below Hawks, Geelong and Lions

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My hate of Geelong goes back to them targeting first year player Rhys Palmer in 2008, them pissing and moaning and getting a home final against Freo down in Geelong 2013, and the stream of unlikable players over the years like Selwood, Mooney, Ablett, Duncan, etc etc, and the media fawning over them for over a decade.

I’m more than certain the hate for Freo is reciprocated by Cats fans

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Windmill Hut posted:

COME BACK TO MELBOURNE JESSE

Melbourne is a worse team without Hogan, and Hogan is a worse player without Melbourne. It just makes sense imo

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

gabensraum posted:

Essendon is the kid who'd make Monopoly go for hours because they refused win-win trades. Eventually they'd get sick of it and mortgage everything to buy Tullamarine Trafalgar.

So accurate it hurts. :(

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A thought I had about this year's GF.

Most years a common complaint about the actual game on the actual day is that a large percentage of the crowd aren't fans of either team, but instead "theatre goers", who got their tickets through corporations, or MCC/AFL membership as opposed to Team Membership etc.

But this year with both teams being Victorian, and the quarantine here, the actual physical crowd in Brisbane will be an overwhelming majority "theatre goers". With the possibility that the corporate people, and perhaps a large number of other non-fans not even being AFL fans, due to them being Queenslanders. (Although the Lions good year this year may have brought a lot of locals back into the sport.)

Will this affect atmosphere much? Coz most of the games in regular season at the Gabba were fine enough with a Queensland crowd.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BrigadierSensible posted:

Selwood would be a big part of it for me.

He ducks into a large majority of tackles expressly, (I may be very wrong but I half rememebr an interview where he said he leads with his head in the hope of getting the free kicks), and the umpires have to pay the free because he headbutted the tacklers arm.

Also, they've been very good for a long time consistently, and Chris Scott is a grumpy whingbag, and not in a fun way.

Selwood doesn't seem to do that as much anymore. At least the whinging about it doesn't seem anywhere near what it was a few years ago.

Ablett and Dangerfield are fuckheads I guess, I don't really have much of an issue with any of their other players though. They're certainly no Richmond. Also their fans seem to be much less obnoxious about it compared to Richmond fans.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Look if I could deal with and enjoy Collingwood vs West Coast from 2018 (which turned out to be a good game of course) I can deal with Richmond v Geelong.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Spedman posted:

My hate of Geelong goes back to them targeting first year player Rhys Palmer in 2008, them pissing and moaning and getting a home final against Freo down in Geelong 2013, and the stream of unlikable players over the years like Selwood, Mooney, Ablett, Duncan, etc etc, and the media fawning over them for over a decade.

I’m more than certain the hate for Freo is reciprocated by Cats fans

I have no idea if I'm representative but I have no strong feelings re: Freo whatsoever, though I was going for them in the 2013 GF for more than just gently caress hawthorn reasons and I think Pav is an all time legend.

Thanks to all who responded to my query - I've just seen a lot of Geelong hatred of late and had no idea we were so disliked, but now I see it's for bullshit reasons so I won't concern myself with it :smug: I kid, I kid - go Cats!

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Forum Joe posted:

So accurate it hurts. :(

:sympathy:

We've all been there.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Chairchucker posted:

It is, glad we're agreed.

He's an evangelical who literally had the job to lead and mentor a team of kids in a location well known for its partying and instead of doing that decided to form his own little god squad and let the rest run loose and when it all got a bit tiring and the money stopped flowing decided to whinge until they shipped him back to Geelong. Its called being a poo poo bloke.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
SOS dropping some truth bombs on Carlton this morning on SEN, not a happy chappy

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://twitter.com/Sammy__Edmund/status/1318696792846839808

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Spedman posted:

SOS dropping some truth bombs on Carlton this morning on SEN, not a happy chappy

I wasn't sure what you meant, so I looked it up: https://www.afl.com.au/news/520412/-didn-t-have-the-courage-sos-blasts-blues-ceo-over-messy-exit

Shows how well I've avoided off-field news this year, I thought SOS was still at Carlton.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Will slot in nicely alongside Carlisle anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Largepotato posted:

Will slot in nicely alongside Carlisle anyway.

He'll line up alongside Carlisle

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crouch picked Saints, that's a nice Xmas pressie. I think if the Tigers do prevail over the Cats it will probably be because they have a more cohesive team spirit vs actual talent. I don't doubt that the price of a GF came with the retirement of Ablett, no one at Cats HQ could stomach that little bastard for much longer. There are rough diamonds in every time but it's noticeable how many dour unlikable bastards there are in the top teams and their ranks are not thinning.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
GWS is falling apart - 6 players want out so far this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/520703/giant-exodus-sixth-gws-player-set-to-leave

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarkGottlieb/status/1319178538864439296?s=19

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I honestly can't say who I think will win; they're pretty evenly matched although if the Cats' old guys can turn it on again that might be the difference.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

ewe2 posted:

There are rough diamonds in every time but it's noticeable how many dour unlikable bastards there are in the top teams and their ranks are not thinning.

Didn't Sydney win a premiership under Roos with a "no dickheads" rule? Although, to your point, I think Barry Hall was in that team, and must have skated under the rule.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Didn't Sydney win a premiership under Roos with a "no dickheads" rule? Although, to your point, I think Barry Hall was in that team, and must have skated under the rule.

It’s the no dickheads rule, they’re allowed one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s the no dickheads rule, they’re allowed one

I'd also imagine that it's less for someone belting someone and more poo poo like loving someone's SO and being a behind the scenes cancer. Bulldogs let go of Stringer for being a bully that wasn't really interested in training, cheating on his wife with a teenage fan was just poo poo on top of that. We probably still would have gotten rid of him even if it wasn't for that because it would have ended up being either Stringer goes or Johannisen goes and Stringer had fallen off a cliff form wise as well.