Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Except nobody is saying that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I only use it because I see others use it, and its the best term to get the idea I'm going for across.
Same for me, but yeah, I can see why it's probably a bit presumptuous.

I Am Fowl posted:

I think someone in this thread mentioned they accomplish this by phoning a cousin in Ireland and feeding the script through them to Irish-ify it.
That is kind of awesome.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Aurora posted:

it's kind of disrespectful to look at someone and go 'they're definitely trans and don't know it'

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I've literally never seen someone point at a person presenting as cis and declare them an egg.

manga characters do not count, because they aren't real (sorry everyone)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've seen it happen to cloud9 sneaky

I've also seen it happen to out nb people lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

egg tats posted:

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, but I've literally never seen someone point at a person presenting as cis and declare them an egg.

manga characters do not count, because they aren't real (sorry everyone)

'presenting as cis' is doing a lot of work in this sentence

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm a good egg

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'll allow you all to make really labored Tenshi no Tamago references though

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

egg tats posted:

my ex used to do this a lot but she had a very specific combination of "lack of respect for other people's right to self-determination" and "deep distrust of all cis people", so she decided that anyone she liked had to be trans whether they knew it or not. there is a reason she is my ex

i think it's fine to use when talking about yourself or your interpretation of fictional characters though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Discussing fictional characters isn't a problem in and of itself but it can reveal a blanket gender nonconforming = closeted trans attitude that is harmful when applied to real people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
basically theres a difference between 'this is my read on the fictional character' and 'this is what the fictional character is'

i dont think anyone here crossed that line exactly but the egg thing has pretty bad associations with

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Discussing fictional characters isn't a problem in and of itself but it can reveal a blanket gender nonconforming = closeted trans attitude that is harmful when applied to real people

this so some people expressed their personal distaste for that kinda catchphrase in a jokey way

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What does egg mean

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What does egg mean
'closeted trans person who has not yet realized they're trans'

normal descriptor when self-applied talking about your past but a ton of people trieed to talk about how random cis dudes who like crossdressing were CUTE EGG BABIES and it was gross

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yeah it's fine when self applied but I've seen it applied to lots of out nb ppl, and also
lots of discussion of cracking others' eggs

and ppl straight up badgering amab nb ppl to "fully" transition and eurgh

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
people going out there trying to break shells are assholes we learned this from Utena smdh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a patronizing term and like, somehow even more infantilizing then baby gay despite that literally having baby in it lol

also it just sounds gross

ZiegeDame posted:

people going out there trying to break shells are assholes we learned this from Utena smdh

lmao i literally think of this every time i hear the term

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
My interpretation of its use is 'wow I'm seeing alot of things in this person or character that I identify with and have experience with in the past related to my own transition and life related to gender'

but its much easier to say 'egg'

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

20 new posts! Oh its...watermelon daiquiri...again....

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
:raise: I recommended a manga and used a term ive seen used elsewhere. Other people latched onto that term, both for and against

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It seems like people are latching onto the worst possible interpretation and universalizing it to thousands of people who use it innoculously. It's pretty lovely to then turn around and snark at Watermelon D for using a massively popular term because you know a few... bad... eggs... (sorry)

Anyway wasn't the egg in Utena a metaphor for breaking out of heteronormativity? That's how I always read it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't really care if people use it i just find it patronizing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

T-man posted:

Anyway wasn't the egg in Utena a metaphor for breaking out of heteronormativity? That's how I always read it.
I think the egg in utena was just a metaphor for becoming an adult, making your own decisions, etc. Applies to being gay but also to just society in general. Gender norms/expectations, what your parents want, that sorta thing. You can stay in the shell and do what youre told or you can hatch and be yourself.

Theres characters who never really have a gender/sexuality angle in utena but theres no characters who dont have tha kinda being your real self angle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

'closeted trans person who has not yet realized they're trans'

normal descriptor when self-applied talking about your past but a ton of people trieed to talk about how random cis dudes who like crossdressing were CUTE EGG BABIES and it was gross

oh. yeah please don’t decide people’s identity for them, fictional or not

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That manga that was kinda like brother's wife, tatoe todokanu Ito da to Shite mo ended and man that was abrupt. I was kinda getting into it too.'

:sigh:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 22, 2020

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The conclusion to Once Again Living with My (Still Alive) Brother's ex-Wife Now Mine...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
living brother is the pepsi
dead brother is the coca cola

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

T-man posted:

It seems like people are latching onto the worst possible interpretation and universalizing it to thousands of people who use it innoculously. It's pretty lovely to then turn around and snark at Watermelon D for using a massively popular term because you know a few... bad... eggs... (sorry)

Its not lovely at all for people to calmly discuss why they dislike a loaded phrase.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm p sure t-man was talking solely about Xun up there mentioning me

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm p sure t-man was talking solely about Xun up there mentioning me

This is correct, apologies for any miscommunication.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

T-man posted:

This is correct, apologies for any miscommunication.

I was just pointing out that it feel like every time this thread has a moment watermelon daiquiri is involved :v: Idk why you're putting words into my mouth about other stuff

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Because correlation is not causation (i'm fairly active here so good odds that if something comes up I'm going to be one of many posters involved), confirmation bias (I have also posted many times without people freaking out), and your wording was ambiguous with an implication of blame, basically

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Egg is at least 1000000% better/funnier than those old hideously tortured "butterfly emerging from its cocoon" metaphors that preceded it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, omelettes and other egg-based dishes are tasty.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Clowns also use eggs, don't they?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
SA at large might be down with the clown, but I am personally not a fan, despite my constant flirting with the idea of getting a Jesterhead tattoo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cephas posted:

Egg is at least 1000000% better/funnier than those old hideously tortured "butterfly emerging from its cocoon" metaphors that preceded it

they both suck

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It's simply indicative of a culture gap where if everyone stopped saying it today no one would relate to each other any more than they do now. I'll still come say 'i saw the things that sucked rear end happen' whenever someone says they didn't but uh, that's it, no clue where I'm going with this

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think you did fine 3Dis. :)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
As a cisheterosexual fujoshi I simply don't think I have the proper perspective to comment on this conversation, in retrospect, and apologize for overstepping my bounds as an ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm g a., the y