Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

hambeet posted:

okay so I did a dumb. the memory I thought was on the QVL wasn't. I read the wrong number somehow. It's fine at 3200, but when playing with the Ryzen RAM calc I can't get it to run stable at 3600 safe unless I start winding back the timings and my first attempt at that prevented it from POST. Should I just return it and buy another kit off the QVL or do you think it's worth persevering with this set?

edit: I'm not wedded to this set, and I'm also just thinking of not bothering with 3600 because I only spent $10 more than a 3200 kit because I got it on sale....

You aren't going to notice a difference. Just keep the RAM, get a nice tune done at 3200 and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Hello! This thread helped me build what felt like a very fancy gaming PC back in graduate school (so many years ago...), but I'm starting to realize it's probably long overdue for an update. I've gotten into Skyrim modding, and some of the things I'd like to run are choking the system to a halt. Here are my current specs:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad Core
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory ($93.23 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($198.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI R9 270X 2G ITX
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Total: $1084.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-21 18:44 EDT-0400

While doing some research, I found that the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($744.99 @ Amazon) seems to be highly recommended, and it fits my case. However, I'm running into an issue with the CPU. It seems like 6-core CPUs are the new standard, but I can't find anything of that level that works in my case.

I'm not wedded to any of the current parts, but I do like the current size of the PC. It fits my desk neatly and is able to be hidden away when I'd like. If possible, I'd like to try and stay in that size range. My budget for the upgrade is around 750, but I can go up to 1K if it's necessary.

Do you have any suggestions for CPUs or GPUs, or other upgrades I could make? Thank you for your help!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Are you comfortable with the used market?

Buying a new 2070 super right now is a bad idea. To make the build worth it, you’re probably looking at a mostly full system rebuild (new cpu, motherboard, ram, gpu, psu maybe). I don’t know what card you currently have.

You should be able to reuse your case, ssd (although I imagine you’ll want something bigger than 120GB), and possibly the psu depending on how old it is and what you upgrade to.

$750 is possible if you fight for every deal and buy stuff used.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pinball posted:

Hello! This thread helped me build what felt like a very fancy gaming PC back in graduate school (so many years ago...), but I'm starting to realize it's probably long overdue for an update. I've gotten into Skyrim modding, and some of the things I'd like to run are choking the system to a halt. Here are my current specs:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad Core
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory ($93.23 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($198.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI R9 270X 2G ITX
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Total: $1084.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-21 18:44 EDT-0400

While doing some research, I found that the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($744.99 @ Amazon) seems to be highly recommended, and it fits my case. However, I'm running into an issue with the CPU. It seems like 6-core CPUs are the new standard, but I can't find anything of that level that works in my case.

I'm not wedded to any of the current parts, but I do like the current size of the PC. It fits my desk neatly and is able to be hidden away when I'd like. If possible, I'd like to try and stay in that size range. My budget for the upgrade is around 750, but I can go up to 1K if it's necessary.

Do you have any suggestions for CPUs or GPUs, or other upgrades I could make? Thank you for your help!

Good God don't spend >$700 on a 2070 Super lol, it's supposed to be $500ish and it's a week away from being superceded by something way better.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

Are you comfortable with the used market?

Buying a new 2070 super right now is a bad idea. To make the build worth it, you’re probably looking at a mostly full system rebuild (new cpu, motherboard, ram, gpu, psu maybe). I don’t know what card you currently have.

You should be able to reuse your case, ssd (although I imagine you’ll want something bigger than 120GB), and possibly the psu depending on how old it is and what you upgrade to.

$750 is possible if you fight for every deal and buy stuff used.

I'm pretty much a neophyte at this - this is the second time I've built a PC, and so far I'm capable only of buying parts and putting them together - so I don't think I'd be too good at buying used stuff yet. My current card is the MSI R9 270X 2G ITX, which I assume by now is super outdated. I don't mind doing a mostly full rebuild, but I'd like to try and keep the total cost at or under 1K. It's good news that I can hopefully stick with my case, though; thank you!

sean10mm posted:

Good God don't spend >$700 on a 2070 Super lol, it's supposed to be $500ish and it's a week away from being superceded by something way better.

Pcpartpickerrr :arghfist: That's good to know, though, thank you!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I've never built a PC before and I haven't specced one in fifteen years, so I would appreciate a sanity check. I'm trying to build a decent gaming system for around $1200, though that limit is fairly soft.

PCPartPicker list
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengrance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3600
Storage: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 2280 (no HDD)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060
Case: NZXT H510 in some color
Power Supply: EVGA B5 650W

Total: $1156.53

The PCPartPicker thing has some compatibility notes... they don't look too serious to me, but again, would appreciate a second opinion?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Doom Mathematic posted:

I've never built a PC before and I haven't specced one in fifteen years, so I would appreciate a sanity check. I'm trying to build a decent gaming system for around $1200, though that limit is fairly soft.

PCPartPicker list
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengrance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3600
Storage: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 2280 (no HDD)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060
Case: NZXT H510 in some color
Power Supply: EVGA B5 650W

Total: $1156.53

The PCPartPicker thing has some compatibility notes... they don't look too serious to me, but again, would appreciate a second opinion?

Saved some money on some things to upgrade others (cheaper/better cooler and ram, cheaper/better storage) and get a gold-rated PSU:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1128.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-21 20:13 EDT-0400

I would think hard about the GPU...availability is a serious issue, but if your budget is flexible enough for a 3070 for an extra ~$200ish you will get much more out of the system.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Another question from me, are RAM differences mostly cosmetic outside of specs?
For example these Ripjaws and the Trident Z Neo look to have the same specs on paper other than :catdrugs: and a significant price difference.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In a ton of cases that is exactly true. If anything putting a bunch of RGB on it is bad for signal integrity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Trident Neo has rgb bling bling lighting and some people like that apparently.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Another question from me, are RAM differences mostly cosmetic outside of specs?
For example these Ripjaws and the Trident Z Neo look to have the same specs on paper other than :catdrugs: and a significant price difference.

:catdrugs: are expensive. They're about the one place different manufacturers can differentiate they're products when they're selling what are ultimately commodity items.

Unless you're getting into serious RAM overclocking, yes. RAM is RAM, and the RAM chips themselves are all produced by like three manufacturers, no matter who is selling the finished module. That said, if I was buying 32gb of RAM I'd look for a sku on my motherboards QVL, larger quantities of ram are less likely to play well than smaller.

Also, while I haven't done any price comparisons, the performance difference between 3200 and 3600 ram is negligible, even if non-zero. We're talking 2-4 fps.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s all off the shelf parts, even the case and motherboard, so there isn’t much that’ll limit you in the future.

Kingnothing posted:

If you wanna build you should build and the lack of 3080 availability shouldn’t stop you. Building is super rewarding, and 100% worth it IMO.

If you can’t wait for them to become widely available, then buy a 2080 or 2070 super from EVGA and do the step up program. It’ll guarantee you a 3080 at msrp, and you can basically play everything right now on ultra or near it and high FPS.

hmmmm, think ima build it I guess. It should be cheaper as well right?

What country are you in?
-----USA
What are you using the system for?
-----Gaming. Want to be able to game at 4k. Also want to be able to play VR games(Doesnt have to be at 4k)
What's your budget?
-----For the computer itself, lets go with 2500. Will need a monitor as well. Plus mouse/keyboard etc.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
-----N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
-----Ultra preset fast as possible.

Here is a build from resetera:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/crazymoogle/saved/c9zyK8

Thoughts on that one?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

If you wanna build you should build and the lack of 3080 availability shouldn’t stop you. Building is super rewarding, and 100% worth it IMO.

If you can’t wait for them to become widely available, then buy a 2080 or 2070 super from EVGA and do the step up program. It’ll guarantee you a 3080 at msrp, and you can basically play everything right now on ultra or near it and high FPS.

What are people doing - buying an EVGA card now, then applying for a step-up right away to a 3000 series card so that'll it'll get fulfilled eventually?

Also, I will wait for the 5950X before pulling the trigger on anything, but what about this for gaming. I'm in Canada, willing to splurge to get a good gaming computer that I'll enjoy now and that'll last me a while so price is not really an issue. Especially given it's my whole entertainment budget during COVID. I'm playing at 3440x1440 at 144hz

CPU: i9-10900k
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3600
Storage - Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 6TB HD
Video card - RTX 3080 whenever I can get one. Or we'll see what Big Navi holds I guess.
Case - Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX tower
Power supply - Asus ROG Strix 750W 80+ gold certified power supply
Then.. I guess a couple extra 120mm fans for the case and some MX-4 thermal paste.

Anything else? Anything stick out as weird on there

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 22, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

What are people doing - buying an EVGA card now, then applying for a step-up right away to a 3000 series card so that'll it'll get fulfilled eventually?

Also, I will wait for the 5950X before pulling the trigger on anything, but what about this for gaming. I'm in Canada, willing to splurge to get a good gaming computer that I'll enjoy now and that'll last me a while so price is not really an issue. Especially given it's my whole entertainment budget during COVID. I'm playing at 3440x1440 at 144hz

CPU: i9-10900k
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard - Asus ROG Maximus Hero
Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3600
Storage - Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 6TB HD
Video card - RTX 3080 whenever I can get one. Or we'll see what Big Navi holds I guess.
Case - Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX tower
Power supply - Asus ROG Strix 750W 80+ gold certified power supply
Then.. I guess a couple extra 120mm fans for the case and some MX-4 thermal paste.

Anything else? Anything stick out as weird on there

Yeah that’s what they’re doing. You’re locked to EVGA but the FTW3 is considered one of the better cards, especially if you intend to overclock heavily. They already raised the power targets on it in beta bios another 50w.

For CPU on a rig that expensive you might want to wait to see what the new zen 3 stuff benches at. Chances are it’ll blow the 10900k out of the water.

Extra fans will help a whole ton and are a good idea.

You can probably get one of the WD Blue nvme and save a bit as the general consensus is the Samsung isn’t worth the extra cost.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

Yeah that’s what they’re doing. You’re locked to EVGA but the FTW3 is considered one of the better cards, especially if you intend to overclock heavily. They already raised the power targets on it in beta bios another 50w.

For CPU on a rig that expensive you might want to wait to see what the new zen 3 stuff benches at. Chances are it’ll blow the 10900k out of the water.

Extra fans will help a whole ton and are a good idea.

You can probably get one of the WD Blue nvme and save a bit as the general consensus is the Samsung isn’t worth the extra cost.

Yeah I'll wait for the 5th. Presuming I go with the 5950X, swap out the processor and the motherboard and everything else should work? I was looking at the Asus X570 Hero for a mb

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Okay, final build before I pull the trigger: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/jwkdXb

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming, beginner video game production (2D unity and basic DAW/midi/loop stuff for music), art and illustration
What's your budget? $1600-$1800 per system, getting 2.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1080 60hz, two monitors each build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($509.00 @ Centre Com)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 70 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($229.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($199.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($369.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($129.00)
Total: $1639.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-22 14:44 AEDT+1100

This is all based on choosing from a single store to keep shipping and returns simple. The manual prices are on the store page but not updated on partpicker, and both PCs already have less than 1 year old cases to move into and a 500gb or 1tb sata SSD as a secondary drive.

Now as far as I can work out this all looks like it's perfectly fine? The PSU has some reviews claiming it's too expensive for what it offers vs competing stuff, but the products they claim to be the same price are all like $50+ more expensive so I think this thing may have had a price drop in it's past. It's this one if it helps: https://www.centrecom.com.au/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650w-power-supply

Any issues here? I was waiting on the 3000/5000 releases this month to figure out what I should do, but neither line is within our budgets at this point, and if that ever changes we can upgrade in the future. Honestly as long as the 1660 Super will get Doom Eternal up to par that's about as 'modern' as my games get these days.

EDIT: Got handed a deadline so I've gone and purchased this already. Follow up reviews on the PSU seem to mention that there may be a DOA issue with them, but that also might only be the modular version which isn't this one. And most-if-not-all of the other parts were previously covered in this very thread so I think this was a safe trigger to pull this time.

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 22, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah I'll wait for the 5th. Presuming I go with the 5950X, swap out the processor and the motherboard and everything else should work? I was looking at the Asus X570 Hero for a mb

Im seeing chat of 4000 speed ram being a sweet spot for AM3.

Does anyone know if this actually is a thing?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Kingnothing posted:

You can get 2x8 3200 for like $50-$60. Unless you can find a 1x8 2400 for half that or less (I don’t think you will) I’d get 2x8. In addition to the faster speed (which you won’t notice all that much) running 2 DIMMs from different vendors in the same channel is a decent performance hit.

I can buy the exact ram stick i have, it is still available. Or i can upgrade and go for faster ram but would need to buy 2 sticks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

what's the current price/performance champ in the ryzen line? I'm upgrading from an i5 4570, mainly for gaming. I have a 5700XT gpu, presuming that's going to be good for a while. location is New Zealand.

e: if there's a better intel option that would be fine too - I know I'm going to have to get new mobo and memory either way.

ee: vvv thanks :) vvv

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 22, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's new Ryzens coming out on Nov 5th. There's a decent chance that none of them will be the price/performance champ because they'll be more expensive than old Ryzens, but IMO unless your need is urgent you might as well wait for benchmarks and/or hope for price drops on old models

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Qwertycoatl posted:

There's new Ryzens coming out on Nov 5th. There's a decent chance that none of them will be the price/performance champ because they'll be more expensive than old Ryzens, but IMO unless your need is urgent you might as well wait for benchmarks and/or hope for price drops on old models

could I get a brief nerd-dump (a link is fine too) on why ryzen is a better option than intel for gaming?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Equivalent gaming and better productivity performance at most price points except the extreme top end of the scale is the status quo, with even the top Intel processor only showing its value if you're into competitive high fps 1080p gaming. The new Zen 3 processors coming out in November look like they'll remove Intel as a worthwhile option at every single price point.

The standard thread recommendation for mid to high range builds was a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X until recently and I was planning a build with the 3700X, which is a similar processor to what's in the new consoles so it should be enough CPU power for the foreseeable future. For the vast majority of PC gamers wanting to game at higher resolutions they're much better served putting their money into a better GPU.

However the new 5600X at ~€300 looks promising so I'm waiting on benchmarks to see if that's worthwhile over a 3700X.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

Butterfly Valley posted:

Equivalent gaming and better productivity performance at most price points except the extreme top end of the scale is the status quo, with even the top Intel processor only showing its value if you're into competitive high fps 1080p gaming. The new Zen 3 processors coming out in November look like they'll remove Intel as a worthwhile option at every single price point.

The standard thread recommendation for mid to high range builds was a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X until recently and I was planning a build with the 3700X, which is a similar processor to what's in the new consoles so it should be enough CPU power for the foreseeable future. For the vast majority of PC gamers wanting to game at higher resolutions they're much better served putting their money into a better GPU.

However the new 5600X at ~€300 looks promising so I'm waiting on benchmarks to see if that's worthwhile over a 3700X.

I wonder if or how much the new gen will bring the 3600(x, xt) prices down.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Probably not at all given that Zen 3 has been intentionally bumped up in price to take over the high end, and the 3600 has already gone up recently

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The lack of an upcoming 5700 on release is annoying. It's probably the level I'd want.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Hey everyone, got a bit of an odd question so hope it goes here instead of another thread or making my own. The holidays are coming up and the missus has expressed an interest in a wired gaming mouse, but here's the catch; she has small hands (yay growth hormone deficiency) so regular sized two button + trackwheel mice are like the upper limit of comfort for her. That being said does anyone have any experience or something recommendations buying mice for people with small hands? If it helps she's not looking to have the whole numpad on the side of the mouse, just a couple of buttons to make gaming a little easier.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

Hey everyone, got a bit of an odd question so hope it goes here instead of another thread or making my own. The holidays are coming up and the missus has expressed an interest in a wired gaming mouse, but here's the catch; she has small hands (yay growth hormone deficiency) so regular sized two button + trackwheel mice are like the upper limit of comfort for her. That being said does anyone have any experience or something recommendations buying mice for people with small hands? If it helps she's not looking to have the whole numpad on the side of the mouse, just a couple of buttons to make gaming a little easier.

It is kind of a hassle manually checking dimensions, because websites don't commonly let you filter by dimensions, but plenty of small mice (around 4" long, or smaller) do exist. Search for "laptop mouse" or "travel mouse" or even "small mouse". Plenty of them are wired, although I don't know if you'll have many options for having more buttons than the usual left, right and wheel.

Also, there is a dedicated thread for mice, where people are probably better informed than me.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Thanks Doom I'll do more than a 10 minute search for a thread while on a work break next time. I'll go pester the folks in that thread but you've already got me going through search engines for mice so good start. :)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DeadButDelicious posted:

Thanks Doom I'll do more than a 10 minute search for a thread while on a work break next time. I'll go pester the folks in that thread but you've already got me going through search engines for mice so good start. :)

Razer Viper Mini

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do m2 drives have a shorter shelf life than regular ssd?

i may have hecked up in my windows install and put windows on the regular ssd leaving the m2 drive for straight up games/other stuff and idk if it's worth it to swap it unless it's going to die on me because of it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No, the flash itself is the same regardless of form factor or communication protocol.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kingnothing posted:

Also, EVGA has easily the best warranties out there. It must cost them a ton to have that program but it definitely creates a ton of brand loyalty, I know I won’t buy from any other card manufacturer if I have a choice. The 3080 situation makes it a little different for me because available cards are so rare.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Some Goon posted:

No, the flash itself is the same regardless of form factor or communication protocol.

Whats the benefit of an m2 beyond the form factor?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Asking because I’ve got an m2 capable mobo booting off a regular 500gb ssd right now. It wouldn’t take too much convincing for me to get a smallish m2 as a boot drive and move the ssd over to being yet more storage.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Vastly higher bandwidth if it's a PCIe x4 version.

E: depending on what you're doing the real performance difference may not be that much, but also a 1tb m.2 x4 ssd is like $100 now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

i noticed a massive difference from spindle drive to ssd.

i think i notice a difference between ssd to m.2 but it could also a be placebo.

i should start youtube channel. give me money.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, m.2 drives can electrically either be SATA or NVMe. For the SATA drives it's just the form factor. NVMe drives connect via PCIe and are on paper much faster than SATA, (if PCIe 4.0 much, much faster, but those are new and mondo expensive). However, they really only pull ahead when dealing with very large or a very large number of files, in typical consumer workloads their speeds are close enough that the difference is imperceptible, and thus you're back to the form factor.

That said, once you've got it installed and don't have to deal with the miserable, tiny m.2 screw ever again, the form factor is very nice. A computer with only m.2 drives doesn't need any sata or sata power cables which is nifty as poo poo even if you don't muck about with cable management.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I'm almost done buying parts for my computer and here's what I have so far:

I haven't bought a processor since I may end up getting Zen 3, and I have been unable to get a 3080.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($274.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($139.94 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 GAMING Video Card ($800.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1573.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-22 10:37 EDT-0400

My main question is concerning cooling and case fans. For some reason I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Could anyone recommend me a good fan configuration? I've heard good things about Noctua and was close to buying a 5 pack of Arctic P12 PWM fans as well.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
To the extent that you can predict these things, is there going to be a shortage on Zen 3 processors like there is on Nvidia cards right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

To the extent that you can predict these things, is there going to be a shortage on Zen 3 processors like there is on Nvidia cards right now?

For the top sku almost certainly, for the 5600, probably. Maybe not as bad, but there are a lot of factors at play so it's really hard to say anything but gut feel. In 2020 I'd assume shortages on everything.