Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What's up, goons?

Since we're under new ownership, I figure it's a good time to reach out to the community for some feedback on the state of the place, and what we want it to be going forward. To that end, lay it on me. There's a few things I'm curious about below, but beyond that there's a couple ground rules:

1. No callouts. We're not here to talk about specific posters. If you think someone's posting is bad, hit the report button or shoot me a PM.

2. Try not to empty quote.

A couple questions to lead off:

What do you think of our current rules? Anything that stands out as needing an update? Anything that you'd like to see added or removed?

Anything you'd like to see me do differently?

I'm thinking about trying to reboot some of the megathreads. I don't think they need to go away, but some of the OPs are badly out of date or by people who aren't active here anymore so haven't been updated in years. Any objections? Anyone particularly enthusiastic about writing a new OP for a thread they regularly post in?

That's it, go to town!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think GWS is pretty good. If we wanted to reboot the Chinese thread I'd be happy to do the new OP. I'm fine with not rebooting though, no strong feelings.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GWS is easily one of the more useful and least dramatic subforums and as a goon who primarily posts outside of it but uses it as a resource it's just about perfect. Would love to see more megathread content ofc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GWS is good. Moderation, at least on the surface, looks non-existent which means it's done well.

So I don't really have any suggestions. Maybe free cake? Free cake would be lovely.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think GWS rules and is great the way it is, very friendly with a good mix of people just learning and really impressive experts. I really liked the more casual monthly challenges from earlier this year (chickencheese, homemade butter, etc.) and would definitely participate in them if they came back.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

GWS is good. Moderation, at least on the surface, looks non-existent which means it's done well.

So I don't really have any suggestions. Maybe free cake? Free cake would be lovely.

I haven't been able to bake for anyone in six months and it's driving me up a wall. This is the longest I have gone since childhood without cooking a meal for anyone other than myself and it's crushing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I like it. I can drunk post about chicken parts and people know the answers to all my questions. ICSA makes me feel a bit inadequate but that's working as intended I think

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My advice for ICSA is always :justpost:. We have some really talented and creative people here, so we get some great entries, but half the fun is seeing everyone's attempts.

Even one that doesn't turn out is a fun story.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My hands down favorite sub, even though I am by no means a pro. Need to take a crack at one of the challenges.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

More Cook or Die. I expect we'll see a little more activity from old regulars now that the handover is complete.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pie. Free pie, you monster. :colbert:

Drink and Fight posted:

More Cook or Die. I expect we'll see a little more activity from old regulars now that the handover is complete.

Yeah, cook or dies own. What are the "rules" on posting a cook or die? I know mods generally pin them. Do we PM a gws mod? Since I got Bernie toxx banned while Lowtax got outed as an abuser, I lost plat and wouldn't buy it back. Now that Jeffrey has the keys to the castle I can re-buy plat.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, cook or dies own. What are the "rules" on posting a cook or die? I know mods generally pin them. Do we PM a gws mod? Since I got Bernie toxx banned while Lowtax got outed as an abuser, I lost plat and wouldn't buy it back. Now that Jeffrey has the keys to the castle I can re-buy plat.

There would be some chatter in the chat thread and/or the offsite chat all the old regulars are in (or now there's also a Discord) where we'd bitch that someone hosed up [food] and they had to atone. So there's no real rules for posting a CoD in the first place except we should only have one at a time, and it's up for the whole month. Also, if you post in the thread and you don't cook, you die.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep. I sticky them when I see them or when someone PMs me to do so, and enforce the rules. That's about it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah so I don't even notice the rules - everyone here is cool. And even when there's some microdrama, it just spices things up.

I'd like it if more people posted. Also, I miss the acerbic dry-humor poo poo posting of old times. For instance, to make a shrimp cocktail you start with one shrimp and once cocktail, etc.

Anyway I love GWS forever. Negronis for my homies.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

1 huevos 1 rancheros

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

1 Sriracha 1 mayo

And yeah moderation is fine and good here. I usually forget you're even a mod.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GWS is far and away the best forum. The lack of drama, the chill atmosphere, the genuine advice mixed with good natured ribbing, it has the balance just right

More ICSAs would be good, because stretching myself for ICSA is basically how I went from being a mediocre cook to OK

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Negronis for my homies.

Cardinales for my... allies?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

1 Sriracha 1 mayo

And yeah moderation is fine and good here. I usually forget you're even a mod.

That's how I like it. My mod duties are most just janitorial work, and I'm happiest when it's not visible.

Scientastic posted:

More ICSAs would be good, because stretching myself for ICSA is basically how I went from being a mediocre cook to OK

The only real limit on them is people being willing to step up to run them. I try to do at least one a year myself, but I can't really swing paying out prizes all the time. :v:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Not a frequent poster but a frequent reader. It's a real good subforum. I'm a big fan.

Scientastic posted:

Cardinales for my... allies?

Old Pals for your old pals.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GWS is good and infinitely useful, I like.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah we could run some Forums Engagement threads more often. I think a lot of people have been semi-avoiding due to the drama of he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drink and Fight posted:

Yeah we could run some Forums Engagement threads more often. I think a lot of people have been semi-avoiding due to the drama of he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself.

I will name him...

GUY FIERI, GUY FIERI, GUY FIERI!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself.

I will name him...

GUY FIERI, GUY FIERI, GUY FIERI!

This is how you end up in FLAVORTOWN, scrubbing the RANCH TROUGH.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Bring back excellent bird guy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think we as a forum should pursue world peace.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think we as a forum should pursue world peace.

Whirled peas was attempted like a decade ago. I think it's time for all out warfare.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure, kill and eat the rich. But what sides do we serve with it

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How can you even ask that when we haven't even settled whether or not we're going to braise or grill. Just irresponsible is what that is

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sous vide then grill to finish, obviously.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Gonna try and post more here. I've missed my GWS crew.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
GWS is one of the best subforums, but can we for Gaia's sake get ride of the "no beans in chili" foolishness?

Edited for incorrect chili spelling.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 6, 2021

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Sure but how do you feel about tipping?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think the only way you can be wrong about chili is if you spell it the way you just did.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Drink and Fight posted:

I am ready!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

I am ready!

Get in Discord.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croatoan posted:

Sure but how do you feel about tipping?

is chili on bread a sandwich