Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

I mean, I’m only half joking when I say that if you’re bidding on a job with 25 other bidders and you don’t already know you’re getting the job, you’re not getting the job.

I give myself a 50 percent chance of getting one of the three jobs I'm bidding with 20+ other bidders - rolling in with a lot of wasta and I'm well known to the hiring managers - but it's still stressful, to put it mildly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1of7 posted:

Somehow, I think I progressed through the far end of the bidding stress barrier this year and achieved a sort of state of zen about the whole thing.

Ah jeez, that's awful - I'm so sorry for you all. This year has been loving terrible for uniquely terrible reasons for everyone.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

the_chavi posted:

I give myself a 50 percent chance of getting one of the three jobs I'm bidding with 20+ other bidders - rolling in with a lot of wasta and I'm well known to the hiring managers - but it's still stressful, to put it mildly...

Right now I'm the only at-grade and in-cone bidder for three of my top four bids. But they're in places most people would probably not want to serve in. Here's hoping the assignment officers realize I'm doing them a favor here!

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

zzonkmiles posted:

Right now I'm the only at-grade and in-cone bidder for three of my top four bids. But they're in places most people would probably not want to serve in. Here's hoping the assignment officers realize I'm doing them a favor here!

I have one place I'm bidding where, like you, I'm the only at grade/in skill bidder. But, it's borderline for me whether or not I'll even bid on it. I made the top 3 at my #1 choice, so I'm a little worried that being the only bidder at another post will result in me getting "deconflicted" and then I won't get an offer for my #1.

On the other hand, I've actually only gotten interviews from two posts (my #1 and that borderline post) so I'm not feeling super-confident overall.

Then, for one position where I got zero response from post, the bureau assignments officer e-mailed me to thank me for my interest and to remind me to register the bid to make it official. That seems odd unless they were planning to make me an offer and makes me wonder if some posts just aren't bothering with interviews.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

1of7 posted:

I made the top 3 at my #1 choice, so I'm a little worried that being the only bidder at another post will result in me getting "deconflicted" and then I won't get an offer for my #1.

Probably

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

1of7 posted:

I have one place I'm bidding where, like you, I'm the only at grade/in skill bidder. But, it's borderline for me whether or not I'll even bid on it. I made the top 3 at my #1 choice, so I'm a little worried that being the only bidder at another post will result in me getting "deconflicted" and then I won't get an offer for my #1.

Do they really do that? If you're the only bidder for one of your lower-ranked bids, they'll give you that job just because there's no one else even though you are highly competitive for some other position you ranked higher? Oh no!

All of my top four bids have 5 or fewer bidders. I'm the only at-grade/in-cone bidder for one of them and one of only two at-grade/in-cone bidders for two more. I have an interview with my #4 choice scheduled soon, but that's the only interview I'll have since the other positions are not "consultative" per CA. But if the interviewers ask me whether I'll accept a handshake if offered, I will scream. I mean, I REALLY want my #1 choice and think I have a REALLY good shot at getting it and I don't want #4 to screw me over with #1.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Wow only 2 of my 10 bids got taken by the SIP panel. I was expecting at least half of them to go.

I'm probably gonna end up domestic anyways. :(

Is SDFCU a total dumpster fire for everything or just lending? Everyone I talk to who has used them for things like mortgages has absolutely horrible feedback. I don't have an account but am considering opening one.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

Wow only 2 of my 10 bids got taken by the SIP panel. I was expecting at least half of them to go.

Is SDFCU a total dumpster fire for everything or just lending? Everyone I talk to who has used them for things like mortgages has absolutely horrible feedback. I don't have an account but am considering opening one.

You got what'sapp?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

You got what'sapp?

Yeah man. PM sent

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

I only used them for a safety deposit box while we were located domestically - I found their website to be utterly excruciating to use but overall the experience wasn't terrible.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Good grief this bidding season is a total dumpster fire (for me)..

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Just heard from my #2 post that I'm their #2 candidate. Here's hoping that their #1 choice has ranked my #2 choice as their #6 choice or something and withdraws from consideration because they get another "air kiss" from a post higher up on their bid list.

I hate this process.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

Just heard from my #2 post that I'm their #2 candidate. Here's hoping that their #1 choice has ranked my #2 choice as their #6 choice or something and withdraws from consideration because they get another "air kiss" from a post higher up on their bid list.

I hate this process.

2nd spot is always the worst. On the flipside, you did the same to them :v:

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I'm on track for a DC tour next. The writing was on the wall so I put all my energy into a position that will be tolerable and get me right back out afterwards. Nice thing about bidding on DC this year is there is none of the pressure of bidding on competitive overseas spots.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I’m of the mind that, for generalists, the sweet spot for a DC tour is at the 01 level. Lots of jobs with good managerial, supervisory and policy aspects, and you get to skip a lot of the lower-mid-level scut work. Director of a small office or deputy of a large one. Good time to get known by the DASs, etc., too. And you’re making enough money that the domestic pinch is not so acute.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

I’m of the mind that, for generalists, the sweet spot for a DC tour is at the 01 level. Lots of jobs with good managerial, supervisory and policy aspects, and you get to skip a lot of the lower-mid-level scut work. Director of a small office or deputy of a large one. Good time to get known by the DASs, etc., too. And you’re making enough money that the domestic pinch is not so acute.

I wouldn't take anything but an 02 or higher job in DC on the IT side.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Welp I got an air kiss from my fourth choice. Top choice made me #2 out of 50+ bidders, so that's either really great or I'm the first loser. Second and third choices told me to pound sand. At least I'll be happy where I'll end up - good job and quality of life, albeit without the supervision responsibilities I really wanted. And I don't have to go back to DC - aces.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Nice!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Congratulations! BLC emails should be coming out next week, right? Or is that only a CA thing?

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

zzonkmiles posted:

Congratulations! BLC emails should be coming out next week, right? Or is that only a CA thing?

The ones for IRM are out today. Thank goodness, it looks like my #1 is working out as I didn't really have any backups.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1of7 posted:

The ones for IRM are out today. Thank goodness, it looks like my #1 is working out as I didn't really have any backups.

Congrats! I got mine today too.

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15
Things played out as I expected on my end. Didn't end up as BLC for any of my bids, and consular bidders let me know that even the 'low bid' posts i've added have all already been accounted for. Basically been told to just wait until after handshake day and see what's left. RIP me.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Natural Ice posted:

Things played out as I expected on my end. Didn't end up as BLC for any of my bids, and consular bidders let me know that even the 'low bid' posts i've added have all already been accounted for. Basically been told to just wait until after handshake day and see what's left. RIP me.

F

I've heard this is an actual bidding strategy for some. Inevitably, good posts have an assignment problem and become available late in the cycle and then they sweep in and get it.

If you're cool with world-wide availability and aren't trying to make SFS in record time - it's a viable strat.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Natural Ice posted:

The top two candidates for my current position dropped out this week - after BLC emails went out - due to unexpected health issues, so it's definitely true that good positions will pop up at random.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Natural Ice posted:

I got the same kind of email. I definitely bid realistically--I bid on several low-bid/SND posts and ranked them highly too. And I was bidding on deputy unit chief jobs too, which are definitely reasonable for a third-tour bidder. But now I'm scrambling. I know I'm #2 for one post, so I'm hoping the BLC drops or takes another handshake elsewhere.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My strategy of bidding on a non-supervisory, non-career enhancing domestic job that nobody wants appears to be paying off.

:shepface:

Nothing concrete of course yet, but it sounds like it's probably a done deal.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Hope everyone got the handshake they wanted!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
e: nvm!

Power to the people y'all.

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 7, 2020

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Blooregard posted:

Hope everyone got the handshake they wanted!

That awkward moment when CA releases the list of jobs that are still available and you see that this list includes positions you had already bid on the first time around...

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

zzonkmiles posted:

That awkward moment when CA releases the list of jobs that are still available and you see that this list includes positions you had already bid on the first time around...

Lol

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

zzonkmiles posted:

F

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Anyone have thoughts on working in INL?

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15

Natural Ice posted:

Update, ended up getting a handshake for a non-consular job about a week after handshake day. Turnaround time between interview and the offer was only 4 days. Pretty happy with where I ended up, and this is two cycles in a row now where I didn't land anything during the normal bid cycle. I should really learn my lesson and only start seriously thinking about bids sometime around November 1st instead of stressing for weeks about it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
wrong thread

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 15, 2020

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Nutrimentia posted:

Anyone have thoughts on working in INL?

Sent you a PM.

a distorted reality
Oct 14, 2005
is now a necessity to be free
What about the management career track? Could anyone share their experience? I want to see if it's the right fit for me.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Has anybody actually received instructions to prepare for a second Trump administration?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Natural Ice posted:

Update, ended up getting a handshake for a non-consular job about a week after handshake day. Turnaround time between interview and the offer was only 4 days.
This is what happened with me too. I'm pretty happy with where I ended up. Funny how quickly posts respond to you when they're interested.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Did my FSO exam a few weeks ago. Got 5 points. Threshold was 5.25 points. What does it mean? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Did my FSO exam a few weeks ago. Got 5 points. Threshold was 5.25 points. What does it mean? :shrug:
It means you failed your Oral Assessment and your candidacy is finished. Condolences. Better luck next year.