Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Dramatika posted:

Has anyone ordered from stogiedepot.com before? They have some sticks I’ve been looking all over for and can’t find anywhere else. The prices seem legit (ie. not too good to be true) so I’m hopeful, but just wanted to see if someone has had experience with them.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger, and hopefully my long search for Casa Cuba sticks is over. I had one as a Fox freebie and it was like a mini Opus in flavor profile, so I’m extremely hyped to have a bunch hopefully on the way :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Please report back! I've never heard of them before, so I'm curious what the experience is like.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Absolutely will! I ordered last night and they already made the shipping label apparently, so I'm probably getting something in the mail at least :buddy:

I've been irresponsible. I found that Opus X pack on Fox Cigar (four opus X and a Destino al Siglo de Pasion), picked it up before it sold out in ten minutes, and while I was lighting money on fire, added on a couple Padron 1926, a couple Foundation Tabernacle coronas, and a couple San Lotano Requiem Maduros. I then proceeded to order 12 Casa Cubas of various vitolas from a site I know nothing about. I need to have someone take my cards away :smith:

God drat do I have some delicious sticks on the way though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Listen man, irresponsibly buying more and more cigars is just the way we do things around here.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a 601 Snakebite, it was okay, like a more peppery VSG maybe? I forget.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've decided that a number of cigars in my humidor are now "late night cigars". They're ideal for late in the evening after you've already smoked a couple and had some drinks so your palate is shot and you'd just like to have a friendly smoke to finish out the night, but not one that you feel would be wasted in such a use case.

Decidedly not in that category is the My Father Opulencia toro I smoked tonight. This is my favorite cigar, and I haven't had one in a couple months. Spicy to start, then rich afterwards, like rosewater and orange peel. The last third had plenty of chocolate and a return of a bit of pepper. The draw was a touch light, which was actually perfect, since it forced me to slow down a bit and bring out the rich flavors of a lower-temperature burn. Had to retouch the burn a couple times but honestly I can't even hold that against it. Just a beautiful smoke top to bottom.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Big big week, we've put an offer on a house, so I'm sticking with pipes for the foreseeable, an occasional cigar out of the humidor here and there.

I got my 3D printer in yesterday and have begun printing things. I have a functional-but-needs-work pipe stand:

I have also picked up another mess of tobaccos this week (I almost went two weeks without buying tobacco, v strange). Lots of cigar blends this time around, which I'm really excited to check out. The list is Briarworks Country Lawyer, G.L. Pease's Key Largo, Warped's Cloud Hopper, and more Three Nuns. Thank you, user whose handle I forgot, so much for the recommendation on Three Nuns. Definitely a favorite of mine!

I have also ordered my third pipe, so I'll actually be able to let them rest more than a day before choosing one for the day. I've shown it in the thread, but I am so psyched for her to come in:

Getting a collection together is kinda fun, and I'm really enjoying my workshop with my pipe and making things. Keep them fingats crossed for the super cutie house we found!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Famous Smoke just put up an Arturo Fuente holiday sampler that includes the Opus X Perfeccion X and some other stuff I’m less familiar with for $87.

2 A Fuente Double Chateau
2 A Fuente Opus X Perfeccion X
2 A F Double Chateau Sun Grown
2 Fuente Magnum R R54
2 A Fuente Hemingway Classic

Is this worth it? I’ve never tried an Opus X so I’m tempted.

https://www.famous-smoke.com/arturo-fuente-xtra-rare-holiday-2019-cigars

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Meh. I like the Anejo version better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Had a chilly night, and sat out a fired up my Peterson pipe with some Lane 1Q + BCA mix I had in a mason jar. Forgot how smooth pipe tobacco is, it really hit the spot.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Pipe smoking in the fall when its crisp out is just so relaxing.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

I have also ordered my third pipe, so I'll actually be able to let them rest more than a day before choosing one for the day. I've shown it in the thread, but I am so psyched for her to come in:

this is SO GOOD

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
stogiedepot.com trip report - Mixed bag? Shipped out fast, got here quick. Was 12 cigars in a small USPS box - I'd have preferred a bigger a bigger box in case the box got a little crushed to give some room for padding, but the cigars were actually against both the top and bottom of the box. Fortunately, they looked to be in good shape, so no harm no foul? They were in a ziploc bag with a little humidifier pack, which is always awesome! Unfortuntely, the bag was not sealed, soooo these guys are going to have a nice month long humidor visit before they can be smoked. Still, it's the one place I was able to find the sticks I was looking for (Casa Cuba Flor Fina in Doble Tres (Corona), Doble Seis (Toro), and Divine Inspiration (Looks Toro to me as well?), and they aren't all jacked up, so I'm pretty happy!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This is a fabulous pipe. Generous chamber, there's a chamfer that helps pull flake into the chamber, and sits like a dream. Popped in some brand new Country Lawyer and it's really great. Virgin chambers always smoke a little weird, but this is a stupendous combination for me.

It's going to be fun smoking more of these cigar blends.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Any snuff takers itt?

I had some, iirc, apricot snuff many years ago that I quite enjoyed, but never got into it.

25 ish years later, I remembered snuff and bought loads. It's been a sniffly but awesome week 😀Trying to gauge interest, might it be worth another thread?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Never really had the urge to try snuff to be honest - I have enough allergy issues as is without putting stuff in my nose, and it's not so much the nicotine I like about cigars as it is the whole ritual of going outside, away from most my electronics and other stuff for an hour and a half, and savoring it.

To each their own though :)

I smoked a Foundation Tabernacle Havana Seed Lancero yesterday. Smoked really well, and the flavor was nice if not mind-blowing. Excited to try the standard Foundation Tabernacle - picked up a couple coronas last week that need a bit of humidor time before getting lit - I've heard they have a different flavor profile so we'll see which I prefer. Also looking to try a My Father La Promesa if I can find one locally one of these days, as well as that Centurion H-CT2k or whatever it's called.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Dramatika posted:

Never really had the urge to try snuff to be honest - I have enough allergy issues as is without putting stuff in my nose, and it's not so much the nicotine I like about cigars as it is the whole ritual of going outside, away from most my electronics and other stuff for an hour and a half, and savoring it.

To each their own though :)

I feel you, I have a pipe for that, but I do enjoy the sensation and olfactory overload of a good pinch, especially when it's cold/raining out or I don't have time.

Snuff is also super cheap in my country, so I can try tons of different blends for the same price as a couple of ounces of pipe tobacco.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Had a great little Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu today. loving excellent little smoke, tastes like rich black pepper and toasted oak. Burns beautifully too, an excellent little 35-45 minute cigar.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Finally tried some Warped Cloud Hopper last night. I haven't really been much of a fan of the two or three cigars of theirs I've tried, but that pipe blend is great. It's super earthy in a way I haven't had before.

We've tried some good naturals, anyone have any aromatic recommendations?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tried to have a Nub Habano 560 today, but the wrapper started to unravel from the foot shortly after lighting up. Then as the tobacco expanded from heat it just kept unraveling. I gave up even though it was smoking okay at the time, cause it was stressing me out.

I switched to a Leaf by Oscar maduro lancero, and it was excellent. A lot more roasted cacao flavor this time than the last one I smoked, and some beautiful smoke. It's not as good as the corojo still, but it's a goddamn excellent cigar.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

20% off of Sutliff (bulk) pipe tobacco at smokingpipes.com until Oct 27

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacc...41928-223247409

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lyon's Famous Smoke coupon code grift worked!

Smoked one of these with my buddies up at Bernal Heights Park in San Francisco today. It's such a classic-tasting cigar, with nuts and wood and leather and pepper, and it's honestly beautifully constructed. That said, it was loving freezing and very windy up on the hillside, which I think contributed to a bit of struggle with the burn. Still, I'm stoked to have this many Padron's kicking around, because goddamn it's an excellent smoke.

I've been thinking it would be fun to put together a box pass with the new thread. I do shipping for my job, so if people gave me their addresses I could pre-print the shipping labels and include them in the box to make the process really easy. . First-class shipping is around $5 and Priority would be around $8, so if I originate the box and a couple people toss in an extra stick to cover shipping cost it would work out for me. Is anybody interested? Any thoughts on the good way to manage such an endeavor, like how many cigars to star with etc.?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dug through some of my old posts and found this from the 2013 box pass to give you an idea of how many cigars were going around. Large-ish tupperware was used to keep everything safe and humidified that we each signed as it went around. I think the whole thing fit in a big flat rate box but I could be wrong on that. Having all the labels pre-made would be pretty nice as long as everyone is ok with everyone else knowing their address. This is probably the ideal time to do it now that it isn't 90+ degrees in the south or below zero up north.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I see my butt drawing survived.

Also: what I wouldn’t give for some more of those 2011 RA LEs.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm EXTREMELY into a box pass, I'm probably moving soon though since we're house hunting 🙃

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Good luck. We bought in June and the market was just starting to go ape poo poo from NYC residents trying to buy up everything in the suburbs.

Now people are getting 10-15% over asking for their houses and selling within a few days of going on the market. We were lucky to “just” pay asking.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Put me down as a hard maybe for a butt pass.

Also:

Ophidian posted:

I see my butt drawing survived.

Also: what I wouldn’t give for some more of those 2011 RA LEs.

I'm like 90% I bought that RA from you and it wound up in the Butt Pass after I smoked the other one

Hayden fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 22, 2020

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm interested but have never done a box pass. How do they work?

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Basically Goon A fills up a big box with cigars and mails it to Goon B. Goon B takes a few cigars out, and replaces them with cigars of comparable quality / value, and mails the box to Goon C. This continues until the last person mails the box back to Goon A, who ideally gets a very different collection of cigars back than he or she sent out initially.

Sometimes little extras, gifts, or butts get included as well

Hayden fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 22, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It seems like there's a bit of interest anyway! If anyone wants to participate, PM me with your mailing address. I'll put together a list and confirm it with everyone before getting it started.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’d be in for the box pass as well.

I smoked a Man O’ War Side Project 52c which is a chisel. It was pretty tasty and the draw was perfect.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man my fiance got a new pipe in yesterday, it's a Big Ben Pipe. My first time trying a filtered pipe, and the filter with the shorty nose burner format is great. A really broad bowl, too.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/big-ben-pipo-pipes/1474149/

I'm really excited to find some similar pipes. I love the form factor and performance.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's a really cute pipe. I've been delaying trying out pipe smoking because I've always done old man things, and I feel like smoking a pipe would be too much of a cliche. I suspect it will happen sometime in the next decade, but I'm trying to delay as long as possible. That said, NFM is serving his traditional in creating temptation.

I'm smoking another one of those Padron 2000s and hot drat it is flawless. Like, this might be the most technically perfect cigar I've smoked this year. I think there are a couple smokes I've had with more exciting flavors, but the Padron is super classic-tasting, and honestly the draw and burn and smoke production are all exquisite. This is a must-have smoke in the humidor, holy poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also: PM me for the box pass! If we get 5 people in the pass I can kick it off. Hit me up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What's the start date? We're targeting a December 1st close on the house, so I may be able to join in 🙂

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'd kick it off as soon as we get a list together. I can either put you as first in the chain (in your old place) or last in the chain (in your new place) if you like.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I lean towards last in the chain, let me get the home inspection out of the way next week before committing to the address.

VERY EXCITE!!!!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Famous Smoke is doing 20% off a bunch of Crowned Heads boxes and the discount code CATS (17% off) appears to stack on top if anyone is interested.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Having a bunch of cigars you really wanna smoke that just got in a week ago and need more time in the humidor sucks :smith:

Going on a cabin trip for a few days, ending up packing a Opus X 888 Perfexion or whatever they call it, a Drew Estate Undercrown Shade, a God of Fire Serie B, and an Illusione Epernay- don't know if I'll get to smoke all of them, but I definitely think I covered my bases selection wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Man O' War Skull Crusher and it was very mediocre. I smoked a PDR AFR-75 and it was pretty good. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.