Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why’s this stupid oval office sat in the kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Though the burgers are good, if I'm going to Five Guys it's for the cajun fries. Too many of them. Basically 80% of the bag the food comes in even though you ordered a small

Did not know Dennys was in the UK but my time in Canada taught me that you should only be there at an unholy hour and an unholy level of intoxication. In that context it is delicious

For other American chains that are here, I recommend Hooters in Nottingham, especially on the all you can eat wings day (Monday iirc)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
five guys works in the US cos beef is cheap as gently caress so you get a fresh burger from freshly ground meat for not much more than mcdonalds/burger king frozen burgers and they're nicer. it doesn't work here because beef is so much more expensive that you're paying a lot more for still a mediocre burger

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I like taco bell

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Actually quick google and apparently theres a Wendy's set to open in reading sometime next year

It's within spitting distance of the Honest Burger, and easy walking distance of 7 Bone Burger, plus then you've got the 5 guys etc, it's going to die so hard so fast.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

fridge corn posted:

Actually quick google and apparently theres a Wendy's set to open in reading sometime next year

Not close enough but :getin:

Sudden Javelin posted:

Though the burgers are good, if I'm going to Five Guys it's for the cajun fries. Too many of them. Basically 80% of the bag the food comes in even though you ordered a small

You are correct. Also, a thing about Five Guys fries is that the small isn't an option in the US. Medium and large only

My favourite place to get a burger in the US was actually the local pizza place. They were so big you could cut it in half and share it and still be grossly full, and they were always just the best goddamn things lord I would go back to rural NJ for that poo poo

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

it seems that what 10-15 years ago some oval office decided that "a good burger is a tall burger" and since then everyone's been in a loving arms race to make the tallest, most irritating-to-eat burger imaginable. I never bother with burgers when I'm out and about because what you actually get is some ridiculous scooby-doo sandwich bullshit that you have to dislocate your jaw to fit your mouth around

i've never been to five guys but i googled them and i wouldn't eat this if they paid me £13

have a go at mcdonalds all you want but at least they still actually make burgers

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
For some reason Chichester has one of the countries handful of Taco Bells so that's my go-to here. I've been watching a lot of Try Guys and Food Wars stuff and there's a lot I'd like to try when things open up.

I like Five Guys a lot though, good buns for one thing, can't think of anywhere else where buns are worth remarking on in the positive. I save money by just not bothering with the fries, maybe get a shake instead. And I like the Coke Freestyle machines, although I think those are showing up in Burger Kings and cinemas now (remember cinemas?)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

Go to libertine

Huh, there's actually one of those 4 miles away from my house that I wasn't aware existed! Thanks for the tip.

*edit: mildly concerned their burgers lack onions and there's no option for onions.

*edit2: I will say that if you ever go to Digbeth Dining Club, Flying Cows burgers are real good.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 22, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ratjaculation posted:

nandos has a okay veg option so I can't completely hate them, but lol at paying £12 for a burger and chips on a regular basis, and its not thrilling enough to be a special occasion meal

they effectively managed to corner the market of people who can afford to eat out regularly, but have no understanding of service, quality or value.

unsurprisingly in the uk, thats a hefty lump of people

The biggest nandos fan I know is vegetarian lol

Iirc they were offering non poo poo veggie / gf / halal food way before most chain places so they became a very easy option if you needed to go somewhere with a big group

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

mudskipp posted:

Anyone been to a UK Denny's? Had one after
Lcamping on holiday and it was superb but might have been one of those situations where the context was key.

I mean food quality in the UK is generally better than the US but Dennys and superb are two words I never thought I'd hear together

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

oh no computer posted:

i've never been to five guys but i googled them and i wouldn't eat this if they paid me £13

have a go at mcdonalds all you want but at least they still actually make burgers

At least that has a (hopefully lightly toasted) sesame seed bun. I'm fed up of being fobbed off with bloody brioche. Stuff doesn't belong around a burger. I'm sure they just push it on us because it has a longer shelf life.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Eughh sheared the bolts off my ebikes chainring

:rip:

It is fixable but gonna be unridable for a few weeks

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

oh no computer posted:

If you have no idea what you're talking about please refrain from joining the conversation, that picture is not representative at all of what five guys burgers are actually like, their doubles are still manageable to pick up and eat. If anything its the gastropubs serving ever more ridiculous stacks of 'burger' with huge amounts of poo poo piled up and only held together by the steak knife speared through the middle.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I save money by just not bothering with the fries, maybe get a shake instead. And I like the Coke Freestyle machines, although I think those are showing up in Burger Kings and cinemas now (remember cinemas?)

So you think missing out on the absurd amounts of delicious fries, one of the main attractions of five guys, while filling up on liquid ice cream or buying diluted sugar syrup is somehow indicative of shrewd financial acumen?

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Chaz love 5 guy

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

oh no computer posted:

I will buy you this meal and also pay you an additional £13 to eat it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

:argh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so long as there's no mushrooms the burger looks good

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

gj shearing the bolt fatso

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Chaz love 5 guy

I bet he also loves the burger place of the same name haha

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

How you do that?

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
hlel yeah tier 2 lockdown baby

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bape Culture posted:

Chaz love 5 guy

This is my stupid hill to die upon

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

kecske posted:

I will buy you this meal and also pay you an additional £13 to eat it

I can't believe the state of this burger... also the fries don't have any cajun or even cajun on the side. Whoever ordered this meal is clueless.

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is my stupid hill to die upon

I did it on twitter once and 5 Guys slid into my DMs and offered me 2 free meals :v:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

goatface posted:

How you do that?

we think one cracked and took the rest with it. the thing shits out a ton of torque and my bf thinks the bolts have always been on the very limit. thankfully i know a guy who has a workshop in his shed and can drill them out

more exciting ebike photos

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

so long as there's no mushrooms the burger looks good

Or mayonnaise. gently caress mayonnaise on burgers. Vile white puke, so it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sudden Javelin posted:

I'm glad that tradition made it's way home, I've not eaten 5 Guys in the UK but everytime I get it here it's just a cajun explosion in the bag.

I think there's a Denny's in Swansea, I saw some reviews and they seemed a very mixed bag. It's funny, I've lived in the states for more than 4 years but never been to Wendys or Dennys or half the other chain places. I don't care for American breakfasts much (beyond hash browns, they're so good) which probably defeats half the choices for me. I quite like the regional chains you get here, and will usually try them when visting new states. Varsity (very much not the UK one if that awful place still exists), Bojangles, Raisin Cains, PDQ etc. Always fun.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You want to get some better quality bolts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Collateral posted:

I have mayonnaise on everything, even bacon toasties. Truly the greatest of the basic condiments.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Collateral posted:

I remember going to the Handmade Burger Company one time, the menu was like 40 burgers long which is cool but only one of them had something other than mayo on it. Quite literally the only burger that didn't was the loving Indian themed burger. Your menu is thick with dozens of burgers and you put mayo on virtually every single one? Why?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Mayo is the only condiment I like on a burger.
You can ask them to leave it off!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm glad that tradition made it's way home, I've not eaten 5 Guys in the UK but everytime I get it here it's just a cajun explosion in the bag.

I think there's a Denny's in Swansea, I saw some reviews and they seemed a very mixed bag. It's funny, I've lived in the states for more than 4 years but never been to Wendys or Dennys or half the other chain places. I don't care for American breakfasts much (beyond hash browns, they're so good) which probably defeats half the choices for me. I quite like the regional chains you get here, and will usually try them when visting new states. Varsity (very much not the UK one if that awful place still exists), Bojangles, Raisin Cains, PDQ etc. Always fun.

There was a place called Varsity I went to in Stirling over a decade ago that was very terrible, dunno if it's the same awful thing you're thinking of. You could get a big bowl of chips or a baked potato and lots of different toppings for your like egg, beans, chilli etc. But the toppings included mashed potato so if you really wanted, you could potato with potato on it for some reason.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like the place, looks like it went under in 2013 which is about when I started working from home so wouldn't have ended up in there after work, which would usually be the first in the long list of that evening's regrets.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

killerwhat posted:

You can ask them to leave it off!

Aye but the point is they only offered one burger with anything different on the menu which seems completely loving insane to me. Me sat there ordering food asking the waiter if they have absolutely anything other than mayo and him looking at me like mayo is the only condiment the world has ever known and I'm a lunatic for even questioning it.

Anyway, on burger discourse look at this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/InsiderFood/status/1318824513002405888?s=20

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I remember going to the Handmade Burger Company one time, the menu was like 40 burgers long which is cool but only one of them had something other than mayo on it. Quite literally the only burger that didn't was the loving Indian themed burger. Your menu is thick with dozens of burgers and you put mayo on virtually every single one? Why?

You can just ask for them not to put mayo on the one you want

Though maybe the mayo heavy menu was their downfall? I think they're all closed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bape Culture posted:

I bet he also loves the burger place of the same name haha

He love a casual nosh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

You can just ask for them not to put mayo on the one you want

poo poo, really?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

goatface posted:

You want to get some better quality bolts.

They're 12.9 bolts. They shouldn't break!!!

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Aye but the point is they only offered one burger with anything different on the menu which seems completely loving insane to me. Me sat there ordering food asking the waiter if they have absolutely anything other than mayo and him looking at me like mayo is the only condiment the world has ever known and I'm a lunatic for even questioning it.

Anyway, on burger discourse look at this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/InsiderFood/status/1318824513002405888?s=20

They had me until the mayonnaise went in.