Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

funkmeister posted:

ngl, it did throw me that Shadowheart's hair was 'wrong'.

Her in-game hair is egregiously awful imho. The hair in her promo is at the very least boring which is preferable to goofy in a not-cool way.

I wish Astarion had one of those absurd pompadours from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

funkmeister posted:

ngl, it did throw me that Shadowheart's hair was 'wrong'.
Suppose that's another bonus of EA, modders can go wild.
Larian could possibly integrate (sensible) things that are super popular mods. Perhaps playable goblins after all? Probably not, but then it's just a quick update of mods for late EA to final and Bob's your uncle.

Larian did that with Original Sin 2. They labelled them as gift bags, and I think there's something like 10-15 the integrated (I don't have the game in front of me to check and google is being unhelpful). It's mostly stuff like adding extra recopies, making sprint a toggle, making the black cat a follower so it doesn't get killed before you leave Fort Joy, etc. They basically just looked at the most used mods and integrated them into the game. It was actually really cool of them to do.

And of course, for all your horse armor needs, there's always Nexus.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Saddest thing about Divinity is that using mods disables achievements for some reason. Achievements are already dumb just let me get my dumb achievements with my dumb cosmetic mods! gently caress!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

jokes posted:

She should use a mace, and she should use the mace you get from killing the gnoll warlord. Daggers are a terrible idea for her!

Except the Faerie Fire effect is a loving lie and never goes off... If she even hits in the first place.

Do y'all know you can make a full party of customs by opening extra instances of the game and direct connecting to yourself?

Four dwarven fighters is silly.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 22, 2020

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

jokes posted:

Her in-game hair is egregiously awful imho. The hair in her promo is at the very least boring which is preferable to goofy in a not-cool way.

I wish Astarion had one of those absurd pompadours from Japan.

I kinda like Shadowheart's in-game hair. It's frumpy and looks like she cuts it herself, which is probably true. It owns.

Only downside is that there's no physics on her bangs so they stick to her face in an unnatural way, which is unfortunate because Shadowheart moves her head around a lot.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Soysaucebeast posted:

I saw an article that said someone had modded in playable Minotaurs, Hobgoblins and Mind Flayers. I got curious and clicked through, and it turns out there's like 25 mods over on Nexus Mods. Modders work dang fast it seems. Also there's two different mods to fix Shadowheart which cracks me up.

This game is really really easy to mod. Almost all of the stats are in text files. You can easily tweak pretty much anything. Right now there's not a lot to tweak but this is going to have some incredible mods by the time it's finished.

I'd expect a fully fleshed out save editor by the end of the week.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Just got to the romance section, jesus Lae'zel is horny on main.

Also disguise self interacts with speak with dead so you can talk to enemies you kill.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 22, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Just got to the romance section, jesus Lae'zel is horny on main.

Also disguise self interacts with speak with dead so you can talk to enemies you kill.

This is neat, I've only run into a very few corpses that "refuse to talk to their killer" but I'll file that away. In particular I'm remembering the monster hunter that's looking for Astarion, I helped vamp boy murder him.

Also, the Underdark is awesome and beautiful. Kind of stunning to enter that, look around and go :aaa:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I know this game is in early access but it sure seems to be a chore to play!

some good potential in it though. it just seems to fight you a lot

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Pattonesque posted:

I know this game is in early access but it sure seems to be a chore to play!

some good potential in it though. it just seems to fight you a lot

How so? Are you new to Larian games?

I've found it to be pretty straightforward. Some of the fights are tough and force you to do some serious planning and preparation but that's fine imo.

I haven't run into major bugs or jank.

The only minor annoyance I have with the UI is that when you are casting a self-only ability, you have to click, then hover over yourself to target, then click again to activate. Which is a little fiddly since it's, y'know, self only. Oh and battles against large groups of enemies are slow.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fritz the Horse posted:

I've found it to be pretty straightforward. Some of the fights are tough and force you to do some serious planning and preparation but that's fine imo.

The only minor annoyance I have with the UI is that when you are casting a self-only ability, you have to click, then hover over yourself to target, then click again to activate. Which is a little fiddly since it's, y'know, self only. Oh and battles against large groups of enemies are slow.

oh not in terms of difficulty at all. the fights make sense. I'm just thinking like "ok, I have to jump across this gap, so I have to select everyone to jump across it individually, oh wait one of them doesn't have quite enough room so I gotta fiddle with that. oh it didn't register my click on one of their portraits, let me do it again."

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Fritz the Horse posted:

When people post things like this I feel like we're playing completely different games.

The difficulty is completely out of whack. I have died multiple times just escaping the ship. I have died multiple times in the very first fight once landing. Low level D&D is deadly and even moreso in this game where enemies have increased stats and focus back line characters and will execute downed characters. All it takes is enemies getting a few lucky rolls. I have played through the EA half a dozen times and replayed various sections of the game more than that. It is way more difficult than it should be. It basically requires savescumming. This is DOS2 difficulty, not D&D difficulty. It only becomes "easy" after you've played through an encounter and know what to expect.

Also, if you haven't run into any bugs then consider yourself extremely lucky. I have encountered numerous bugs including weird repeated dialogue, unfinishable quests, strange aggro issues, and other things that I can't quite explain. And that doesn't include the 10 or so straight up crashes I've had.

I'm not alone on these issues. Go read the Larian forums and there are tons of bug reports.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Fritz the Horse posted:

Also, the Underdark is awesome and beautiful. Kind of stunning to enter that, look around and go :aaa:

I highly recommend entering the Underdark from the temple of Selune at the Goblin Camp, it has the nicest scenic overlook of the entire area imo.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The difficulty is completely out of whack.

I agree, which is why I strongly encouraged making a min-maxed PC earlier in the thread. The increased stats thing is kind of a give-and-take, though, because they increased goblin's HP for example but drastically reduced their AC to compensate.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 22, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

I'm just thinking like "ok, I have to jump across this gap, so I have to select everyone to jump across it individually, oh wait one of them doesn't have quite enough room so I gotta fiddle with that.

This is probably one of my biggest complaints so far. Oh, we have this neat jump ability. Verticality! Now jump over this gap with each of your characters one at a time. Hope you have room! It seems somewhat related to my party members just running through area effects or traps without a care in the world. Hell, my halfling character would just jump off tall places, take damage, and knock himself prone while the rest of my party would go the correct way. Pretty funny.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's also kicking my rear end. The minotaurs and the bulette both take me down in like two turns. It'd be amazing if it wasn't frustrating. Ah well, I was thinking about making a new character anyway but I wanted to reach the end with my warlock.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Soysaucebeast posted:

It's also kicking my rear end. The minotaurs and the bulette both take me down in like two turns. It'd be amazing if it wasn't frustrating. Ah well, I was thinking about making a new character anyway but I wanted to reach the end with my warlock.

Keep in mind you're probably supposed to be about level 5 when you enter the Underdark. We're all missing a second attack from the fighters and 3rd level spells and so on which would've helped things.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So unless you start as a Wizard, is dump statting INT always the way to go in EA?

Asking because I want to try out an Arcane Trickster playthrough, and there's the Headband of Intellect you can grab fairly early.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 22, 2020

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So unless you start as a Wizard, is dump statting INT always the way to go in EA?

Asking because I want to try out an Arcane Trickster playthrough, and there's the Headband of Intellect you can grab fairly early.

If maximum cheese is your goal, always dump stat int. :shrug:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Int affects your # of memorized spells as well as spell attack / DC. If you're doing an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster who relies on magic mostly for buffs and utility, you won't need tons of it probably.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

INT is the least important stat all around yeah. Besides flavor/lore checks it's not very useful while all of the other stats are gonna come into play more often for any character type.

Heck even Wizards could probably dump INT and rely on non-check spells like Sleep/Magic Missiles until you get the headband

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah pretty much.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

INT is the least important stat all around yeah. Besides flavor/lore checks it's not very useful while all of the other stats are gonna come into play more often for any character type.

Heck even Wizards could probably dump INT and rely on non-check spells like Sleep/Magic Missiles until you get the headband

How early could you get a light crossbow? You could buff dex really high. That or be an elf for proficiencies.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

blizzardvizard posted:

also, Grease doesn't check the caster's stats I believe. Probably others

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

How early could you get a light crossbow? You could buff dex really high. That or be an elf for proficiencies.

Really early I'm sure. I think some goblin corpses near the Nautilus have them.

You can also go the Shield Dwarf route pump Str and Con and be an actual Muscle Wizard. :getin: I think someone posted a screenshot here of a dwarf mage lady with 18 in 3 stats on level 4

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Soysaucebeast posted:

If you have invisibility you can sneak up behind the minotaurs and keep pushing them off without it breaking invisibility.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Visiting my parents and pulled out some old rear end DND stuff I have that I unfortunately barely got to play.

The bottom left one Descent into the Depths of the Earth features Drow and seems to be an early iteration of the Underdark before it was called that.

Here's some races from the Planescape manual that are in BG3.

Githyanki

Githzerai

Cambion

Tiefling

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Frida Call Me posted:

The true power of the warlock is a reliable ranged damage dealer that can have a +5 bonus to all three face skills at level 1 (intimidation/persuasion/deception) if you take a background that grants persuasion proficiency. You can get through a lot of content with just being good at social challenges. CHA doesn't do anything for rangers or rogues except social challenges. Also you can take friends as a starting cantrip for advantage on social checks.

Considering you can get Persuasion + Deception from a level 2 invocation, it seems like a warlock could be a pretty great face-skill monkey, especially like a wood half-elf for Stealth and a very agreeable set of stat boosts. It's not really what I want to play (bard) but it'll do. The lack of expertise makes rogue less appealing for this sorta thing. You can easily get level 2 before you really need to start doing the social skills, I think. It just depends on how much you need that second invocation I suppose.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Kokoro Wish posted:

DnD Rebalancing.

"This mod's main objective is to rebalance BG3 removing some of Larian's takes on the ruleset and adapting it to more closely resemble the tabletop experience."

• Fighting Style is available for Fighters at level 1 (from level 2)
  • Firebolt deals 1d10 (from 1d6) but does not create a fire surface (it still interacts with surfaces below the target)
  • Ray of Frost does not create an ice surface (it still interacts with surfaces below the target)
  • Jump, Hide and Shove are all actions (from bonus actions)
  • Introduced Disengage as an action to all characters (without Jump tied to it) - TESTING
  • Cunning Action (Rogue level 2) now gives Hide and Disengage (besides Dash) as bonus actions as well

Though if Jumping could be made part of movement that would be good.

Hard pass, ray of frost's trip is kind of necessary for control purposes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jokes posted:

Her in-game hair is egregiously awful imho.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Hard pass, ray of frost's trip is kind of necessary for control purposes.

you can throw a water at em then ray of frost it :shobon:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Mustang posted:

Tiefling

I have the Planescape PDF and I always liked their take on Tieflings in the sense that they are only slightly different in appearance from other races in appearance, or in some cases visually indistinguishable from other races. The popular thing these days is to play them with wildly different colors with a tail, horns and all the works, which is perfectly valid. However, I always sort of liked the old-school understated approach to designing Tiefling characters.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've gotta say that after playing Solasta for a day I really hope Larian takes note of a the way a few of the mechanics were implemented in that game. The use of contextual prompts coming up for certain things like Feather Fall, Shield and Opportunity Attacks or asking if you want to use special abilities like Smite or Channel Divinity when you're able to is really clean and practical without breaking up the pacing. BG3's use of toggling abilities like Opportunity Attacks and Riposte on is really limiting and tactically awkward in comparison and needs to be changed before release imo.

Having the whole party able to automatically navigate the environment is also so, so much smoother than having to manually jump each party member 1 at a time like in BG3. You also can't just spam rests in Solasta which is nice and makes you have to consider resources more. And obviously having all party members handle skills that they're good at in conversations is leagues better than BG3 is at right now.

If anyone is interested in a different take on 5e in another early access game, I recommend Solasta a lot. The dialogue also manages being so bad its good which is nice.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I tried Solasta, but it's... Extremely stiff. Like you are even more fixed to a grid than BG3. Didn't leave a great impression.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Maybe I'm crazy but I prefer the clear layout of a grid vs the D:OS/BG3 meters mushiness. I'm not a big fan of Japanese RPGs but I've always appreciated the clear tactical picture you can see in an SRPG.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
On the world map around the borders are all of the internal cells but there's a couple I can't identify. Does anyone know what these ones are?

E: I didn't get it into the screenshot but rectangular looking one that's cut off is the letter "A". Probably just for Map A I guess.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 23, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

On the world map around the borders are all of the internal cells but there's a couple I can't identify. Does anyone know what these ones are?

Well the top looks like a dragon skeleton but you probably figured that out. I haven't encountered them yet, no.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I finally did it...I killed all the stupid goblins invading the druid grove. I don't think it should have been that hard...but it felt good to wreck their poo poo at last

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please

French Canadian posted:

I finally did it...I killed all the stupid goblins invading the druid grove. I don't think it should have been that hard...but it felt good to wreck their poo poo at last

I murdered all of the druids and joined the goblins. gently caress those uppity hippies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

French Canadian posted:

I assassinated their leaders, but when I got the last one, they all turned hostile except for Gribbo. Wish I had left some barrels in the courtyard, but I did slit all the sleeper's throats on the upper level, so raining arrows and barrels down on the goblins below was pretty easy.

Also I was invited to the Zhentarim trading outpost, but they were all hostile when I ran into them. :(