Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe not exactly the same, but one of mine appeared to be completely paralysed in the rear, though no squeaking (as can happen from neurodegeneration), and we all assumed his days were numbered. I set him up with a cozy spot next to water, bathroom, and food, and otherwise he was OK. Then a few days or so later he got all better, to everyone's surprised. So at best guess he bruised his spine somehow and over time it subsided.

I forget, is metacam an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller? I think steroids are otherwise the go to thing.

from what i read when trying to find ANY info, it is anti-inflammatory, but i'm sure it's not ideal :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

snoo posted:

from what i read when trying to find ANY info, it is anti-inflammatory, but i'm sure it's not ideal :(

Sounds like you're doing about the best you can without a vet visit then. (that's not to say there's definitely something else a vet would do, but IANAV)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my boys got a severe bout of pneumonia, probably myco. I took him to the vet and he's stabilized now. The issue is though, I have to give him a combined 3ml of medication every day and trying to have him take it is driving me up the wall.

He's too spry for syringing it directly into his mouth, clawing my hands to shreds if I try to do it. It works but I really don't want to stress an already sick rat like that unless it's the last resort.
He also refusing to take the meds no matter what I mix them with, and the meds themselves aren't even bad tasting. I've tried all kinds of foods rear end a mixer and he just eats a little bit of it and then refuses to touch it anymore even if it's something delicious.
I'm going crazy over here. Do y'all have any tips?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm going crazy over here. Do y'all have any tips?

I had to vary things up quite a bit. Carrot-based baby food worked for a while, and another technique that usually worked was the crush up rice krispies into a powder and then soak the meds up in it to form a sort of solid. Just have to be careful about their ability to swallow it (which is a problem with direct syringing too) since it tends to be sicker animals that needed meds.

When one of mine was really very sick he would eventually accept syringing, by holding onto him and holding the end of the syringe in front of his mouth, he would eventually bite down on it allowing me to hit him with maybe 0.1ml at a time (3ml is a LOT).

When I was dealing with a particularly picky one I started mixing smaller batches, so that if he decided he didn't want any more I hadn't wasted it, and could try again later.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

getting it directly into their mouth is way easier with a second person but also just awful to do

we have to mix medications with a variety of things and sometimes what they'll tolerate changes. our current girls actually used to take metacam straight, but now they won't touch it at all and it's difficult to even mix it with something.

I try really strongly flavored stuff that they'll test and enjoy before I mix with meds, but it doesn't always work.

a favorite for all four rats was melting some ice cream and mixing in the meds. most of the time that would suffice

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions.

Right now I'm testing the strategy of "its me, you and some liver paste on this couch and neither of us is leaving until the paste with meds in it is gone" and he is taking it but only in small bites every few minutes so maybe he's not being a huge bastard but actually has problems swallowing or something.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Slightly warm cream cheese mixed into mac and cheese flavored baby food was the magic trick for my rats when they didn't want to take their meds.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's the rat tax btw:

He was a pretty good boy at the vet, other than really not wanting to stay still for the xray.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:3:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

oh my god

OH MY loving GOD

I figured out what was the issue. why he was eating the meds so consistently inconsistent. Offering it to him in a large chunk on my fingers won't do it, he refuses, but if I smear it thinly then he'll eat it all no problems.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

oh my god

OH MY loving GOD

I figured out what was the issue. why he was eating the meds so consistently inconsistent. Offering it to him in a large chunk on my fingers won't do it, he refuses, but if I smear it thinly then he'll eat it all no problems.

hahaha :yaycat:

sometimes our rats wouldn't eat mixed meds from a dish, only off of our fingers. picky lil babies

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Best thing about rats: They are incredibly smart and all have unique personalities.
Worst thing about rats: They are incredibly smart and all have unique personalities.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Animal-Mother posted:

Slightly warm cream cheese mixed into mac and cheese flavored baby food was the magic trick for my rats when they didn't want to take their meds.

While not good for rats at all, I've had tremendous success mixing medicine into melted ice cream as a last ditch effort.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
You’d think rats would love things like ice cream, cheese etc, but the food I’ve seen my rats go most crazy for is... banana huel. They went absolutely apeshit and tried to climb into my mouth and chew through the bottle to get to it. Never seen them react like that to anything before. (I wish I liked it that much.) I’m definitely planning on using that to hide meds when the time comes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried all the suggestions for giving my boys meds, including the ice cream, and it kind of works for a little while and then he just starts pushing away my finger and wiping his mouth on the floor, even though the medicine is
1. tasty in itself
2. liquid
3. thoroughly mixed with a nice treat

So I don't what the gently caress.
Splitting the medicine into 2-3 batches and mixing each batch with it's own treat seems to work so far.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

it kind of works for a little while and then he just starts pushing away my finger and wiping his mouth on the floor

Yeah at that point the best approach I had was to just try again later.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jack Trades posted:

Best thing about rats: They are incredibly smart and all have unique personalities.
Worst thing about rats: They are incredibly smart and all have unique personalities.

Amen to that.

I hope your friend gets well soon.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I solved the medicine issue with mashed banana. Although the banana has to be mashed thoroughly because the little rear end in a top hat with pluck out the chunks and throw them everywhere.

The boy is getting better now. He's being very energetic again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Naughty boys that don't take their medicine get the burrito.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One large rato burrito, please.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Haha, I remember my vet being surprised I chose a fruit flavor for antibiotics one time, just assuming meat flavor was the superior choice. What can I say, rats go apeshit for banana.

I have a question about plastic-chewing. My rats have plastic igloos and pods and whatnot in their cage and of course they chew on em and I've never worried about it, but my current rats LOVE to chew on the plastic anti-slip base bits on my keyboard stand, and I always run to stop them because they're clearly ripping off huge chunks and just eating it. Is that... okay? I don't really mind if they chew up my stuff but I figured that must be bad for them. But is it? Are all rats just ingesting all the plastic they chew?

I ask because googling makes it sound like they totally don't eat the plastic they chew, but they DEFINITELY are. I got a big red rubber Kong dog toy for rats years ago because I read they totally love those and totally don't eat them, and I took it away when their poop showed up riddled with little chewed red rubber bits.

Bonus pic of current knuckleheads Luna and Stella:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

redcheval posted:

I have a question about plastic-chewing. My rats have plastic igloos and pods and whatnot in their cage and of course they chew on em and I've never worried about it, but my current rats LOVE to chew on the plastic anti-slip base bits on my keyboard stand, and I always run to stop them because they're clearly ripping off huge chunks and just eating it. Is that... okay? I don't really mind if they chew up my stuff but I figured that must be bad for them. But is it? Are all rats just ingesting all the plastic they chew?

I had the same debate with myself and wound up taking the safer path and keeping all that stuff away from them, which is not easy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have never heard of rats eating plastic but I guess if there's plastic in their poop then there's no question about it.
Are you sure there's no problems with them? I've heard of some animals, rats included, eating sand and earth when they have stomach issues, to lower the ph levels in their guts. Maybe they're trying to do the same?

EDIT: for the record, I've had rats chew all kinds of plastic stuff but I would always find piles of chewed plastic next to the thing and never in their poop.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, the Kong situation happened at least 5 years ago on rats long gone now. I guess I can't be totally 1000% sure they're eating the keyboard stand plastic, I haven't seen any in the poop, but it really LOOKS like they are and they don't seem to leave any plastic bits behind/drop them when they're chewing on them. I'll take away the plastic bits they rip off and if by any accident I leave them lying around, they'll hoover em right up if they find them again.

I think at least for now I will stick with the Jaded Burnout route of just trying to keep them away from it. My room gets a little bit more rat-proofed every few years when I get new rats and have to learn what new things they can get into and chew on. I swear they're getting smarter with each generation.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Currently dealing with another abscess. Can’t get to my vet (covid reasons) but his advice was basically just to leave it alone. Ratto is doing an admirable job of cleaning it and even used a dish of water to wash her hands in and then clean the wound with. Always impressed by how smart they are. The only thing I don’t get is... when the abscess bursts, where does the pus go? They don’t eat it, do they? :barf:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It best not to ask. Rat does as rat wants.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Look at this smug mr fancypaws.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Good faces. :kimchi:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The old one:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Still miss my rats. Still don't feel right getting more right now.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Still miss my rats. Still don't feel right getting more right now.

Same.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My little assholes are too cute.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Antimony is three and a half years old. She went blind. She's got some health issues and is probably not long for this world.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Poor sweetie. Still, 3.5 is a decent run.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Antimony is three and a half years old. She went blind. She's got some health issues and is probably not long for this world.

Cute old lady. :kimchi:
3.5 years is a long time for a rat.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I use those same food triangles :)

So I'm talking to a breeder about re-upping on my rat stash..

I never really did bear the idea of getting rid of the cages etc.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I really wish I was at a point in my life where I could do the same.

Still my plan as soon as I'm able, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Going to have to get them more used to travel (lol in this world) just so I can take them places for a day or two. I'm sure that won't be too hard, so long as I can get myself a smaller (but large enough) travel cage.