Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I crashed a motorcycle in 2011 and again in 2014 and that left me with collapsed joints in my left ankle. I dealt with it until this year, saw a surgeon, and we're planning to fuse my left ankle joint literlaly next week, setting me up for three months of recovery. That'd be all well and good, only my *right* foot decided it wasn't getting enough love and now it's dizzyingly painful trying to bear any weight on it. Teledoc thinks it's just tendinitis that's going to resolve itself, but I can't take anything stronger than tylenol because the plan is that I'm still getting surgery next week.

it sucks. I want to walk, not have both feet out of commission. There's a ton of stuff I want to do around the house to get ready for surgery, but I can't even do dishes like this. It's terribly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The vast majority of my towing is local and short range so realistically it's not something I'd need often. But one of the reasons we bought this truck was to be able to haul a trailer from Phoenix to Flagstaff, which is ~150 miles one way and a net climb of ~6000 feet, with at least two major climbs in between. I expect EV range would be utterly murdered on that road.

A trailer alone is going to kill your range, add in elevation and even with massive regen on the downhills you'd either be looking for a quick charger or need some form of range extender. Regenerative trailer brakes would be an interesting option as long as it doesn't add too much weight, heck the trailer could carry some batteries as well. I have the range extender in the i3 and it's really nice to have the few times I've needed it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Take the door of the hinges and mount it to the front of the trash can caddy. Simple brackets could connect the door to the wire frame of the caddy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rev-A-Shelf-8-75-Gallon-Pull-Out-Trash-Can/52046262

Like that kind does. Or get that kind, or one of many cheaper options out there.

Yeah, I mentioned that option, but then I would have to fill and paint where the external hinges are currently, and it then wouldn't match the door on the right side of that particular cabinet. They're 1964 vintage - no hidden hinges, and it would be paint to add them due to how the surrounds are.
May do that anyway. I'd love to replace all of the cabinets, but $$$.

edit:

trouser chili posted:

Attach the door to the drawer as normal. Don’t remove the hinges from the door itself. Do remove the screws from the cabinet-side of the hinge. Cut the heads off these screws. Glue them in place in the hinge so it looks like it has screws. Glue the hinge in the position that makes it look like a correct normal hinge when the cabinet is shut. Maybe glue a bit of felt to the backside as well so it doesn’t slap the cabinet when you close the door.

Now there's a thought.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 22, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

This is super not-helpful but all I can see is Jeopardy podiums with a trapdoor. Which would be an awesome thing in my opinion.

No, it's not helpful, but it is funny.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

meatpimp posted:

Next you'll be posting on glyph's FB group "Show me on the doll where your BMW hurt you."

Many lives and marriages destroyed vainly attempting to resurrect a M3 e30 with money.

It's only a matter of time before the bell starts tolling for me.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

24.5mm seems likely. 31.8mm is the other likely candidate -- it's more common in adult road bikes and mountain bikes, but my bike has a 25.4mm bar.

I had numbers wrong I ordered 25.4 like yours, hey it was $7, that seems to be the vastly most common size. thank you!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I know fuckall about bikes anymore, but 25.4 makes way more sense (than 24.5) because it's an inch, right?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Elviscat posted:

God damnit, I literally cannot stand not feeding strays that come around my house, and there's literally an infinite supply of them, so every time I get one socialized and adopted a new one shows up.

The local rescue agencies are DICKS about taking strays (I understand why), and if you've ever fed one they consider it to be your pet, and make you sign forms "surrendering" the animal.

I've got the room and time to get this guy socialized and fed now though.

Don't ever stop being a catte friend! :3:

I'm in a different country and everything but there are a couple of very small independent cat rescue charities round here that literally operate out of a couple of people's houses. Can you find someone like that rather than a big rescue?

Because they can't take all the cats in they are constantly posting on facebook about strays like yours. They seem to help with food, supply paper collars and then go round and read microchips and get them vet visits and then try and get them adopted.

slothrop posted:

A hearty gently caress you to today, this week, this month and the whole of 2020 while I’m at it. Eat Satan’s diseased rear end in a top hat you goddamn annus horibilus.

gently caress the whole of 2020.

trouser chili posted:

Attach the door to the drawer as normal. Don’t remove the hinges from the door itself. Do remove the screws from the cabinet-side of the hinge. Cut the heads off these screws. Glue them in place in the hinge so it looks like it has screws. Glue the hinge in the position that makes it look like a correct normal hinge when the cabinet is shut. Maybe glue a bit of felt to the backside as well so it doesn’t slap the cabinet when you close the door.

I was gonna suggest this too. You can get soft close buffers which would work better than felt

Like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Dampers-Including-Bathroom-Cupboards/dp/B017V5S5GW. Probably available cheaper from your favourite home depot equivalent

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 22, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

I'm looking for suggestions from engineering/fab-minded folks.

A while back, I installed a sliding under-counter trashcan in the kitchen:

(I don't think I took a picture of it installed...)

I want it to pull out when the door is opened. Currently, I have a bit of cord attached, which works, but doesn't push it *back* when the door is closed, and also introduces a shock when the door is opened, then the slack is pulled tight, before the drawer starts coming out. I removed one of the auto-close mechanisms to make it a little easier to pull out, BTW. It was pretty aggressive.
Ideally, I would attach the door to the drawer, and just have the whole assembly slide out - in fact, brackets were included for that - but I have a 55-year old not-updated kitchen that uses external hinges, so it wouldn't look right, and if I remove the hinges, it would leave a scar that would have to be cleaned up. This is still a possibility, but what I'm looking for is some sort of semi-rigid sliding guide that I can attach, sort of like a car window roller, that would pull the drawer out when the door is opened, and push it back in when the door is closed.

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about :

I'm basically needing the bits in green and purple.

I could probably fabricate something with C-channel and roller-skate bearings, but a nicely made existing solution would be nice.

I ran across linear bearings/linear guides, as used in 3D printers, and those are relatively cheap from China:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeahmart-Cylinder-Optical-Support-Bearing/dp/B07Z4X5ZCB/

https://www.amazon.com/Usongshine-Bearing-Sliding-Engraving-H-Type%EF%BC%8C300mm/dp/B07Y2SNX4R/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001166133337.html

I like the first and last one most, as they would seem better suited to the pulling forces I'm anticipating.
An additional thought is that I will need to be able to release the door from the drawer occasionally for access to the under cabinet area (think: plumbing) but not on a regular basis, so a nut and bolt are reasonable.
Does anyone have a better idea, or know of a part better-suited to the application? I think the linear guide will work (and are cheap enough), but I don't want to overlook something better or cheaper that is just outside my knowledge.

edit: with respect for getting older and stuff breaking. Yeah, knees, shoulders, ankles... None are non-functional, they're all just... creaky.
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you're making this more complicated than need be. Can't you just use something like a drawer slide and make some sort of a little bracket to attach to it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that option, but then I would have to fill and paint where the external hinges are currently, and it then wouldn't match the door on the right side of that particular cabinet. They're 1964 vintage - no hidden hinges, and it would be paint to add them due to how the surrounds are.

edit:

Now there's a thought.

Oh. My eyes glazed over after thr first half of that paragraph. I saw it in a quote though and yeah I get it. That other solution of fake hinges is pretty clever.

Speaking of new cabinets, drat I need some. Can't afford em but I need them. I just had a drawer give out and there are a few others that the bottoms are sagging pretty bad. Nothing on them is worth salvaging. Hoping to save the cash to order new ones next year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I know fuckall about bikes anymore, but 25.4 makes way more sense (than 24.5) because it's an inch, right?

Bike specs are all over the board. I've seen all kinds of oddball sizes / configurations. I've processed a few dozen bikes over the years, full disassembly. I just found an entirely new bottom bracket design on a spin bike... used for like 3 years... and had to special order a tool to remove it.

Bikes are fucky. Just like everything else.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I was gonna suggest this too. You can get soft close buffers which would work better than felt

Like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Dampers-Including-Bathroom-Cupboards/dp/B017V5S5GW. Probably available cheaper from your favourite home depot equivalent

Good though, but the trash can drawer has built in self closers with soft close. I would just need to place the base of the drawer correctly in relation to the door opening.
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards faking the hinging, or just ignoring the visual difference.
Making the drawer work with the drawer while hinged is overly complicated.

slidebite posted:

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you're making this more complicated than need be. Can't you just use something like a drawer slide and make some sort of a little bracket to attach to it?

You'd think so, and that's sort of what a linear bearing is, but think about how a drawer slide works. It doesn't have one short piece that can travel the whole length of the rail. It's got two long rails joined by a piece in between that rolls between the two pieces, so the sliding bit really can't be shortened much if at all. First thing I investigated.

StormDrain posted:

Oh. My eyes glazed over after thr first half of that paragraph. I saw it in a quote though and yeah I get it. That other solution of fake hinges is pretty clever.

Speaking of new cabinets, drat I need some. Can't afford em but I need them. I just had a drawer give out and there are a few others that the bottoms are sagging pretty bad. Nothing on them is worth salvaging. Hoping to save the cash to order new ones next year.

Several drawers in my house have been replaced by home-made replacements. They're clearly different construction, thicker wood, no grooves for the bottoms to slide in, etc. Several of the cabinet doors have been remade as well, with less than professional techniques, particularly when the oven was changed from double built-ins and a stovetop to a freestanding range. Really, it all needs to be replaced.

edit: the trash drawer I have is the Rev-A-Shelf that you posted, but the single can variant.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 22, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Just scheduled an appointment with a new therapist.

After reading that old psych eval I've been really depressed. It feels like I'm just dumb and that it's over for me (I know this is not true bu that is kinda how it feels).

For the first time the covid isolation is starting to get to me.

I doubt you're dumb if you made it through life this far, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in evaluations from a long time ago. I'm pretty sure any psych evaluation I would have had when I was 10 would be A LOT different than one now. And FWIW, I've seen less intelligent people who are disciplined and work hard do a lot better in life than smart but unfocused and lazy people.

I've asked this before in the monthly chat thread but I just want to confirm I have this right, Brother laser printers are the consensus when buying a new printer? I'm about to throw my Epson in the trash but I need to replace it ASAP because covid means I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I doubt you're dumb if you made it through life this far, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in evaluations from a long time ago. I'm pretty sure any psych evaluation I would have had when I was 10 would be A LOT different than one now. And FWIW, I've seen less intelligent people who are disciplined and work hard do a lot better in life than smart but unfocused and lazy people.

I've asked this before in the monthly chat thread but I just want to confirm I have this right, Brother laser printers are the consensus when buying a new printer? I'm about to throw my Epson in the trash but I need to replace it ASAP because covid means I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

Brothers are well regarded, as are HP's nowadays. I wound up with an HP color laser because I'm a precious snowflake and want my printouts duplexed and in color

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’ve bought two cheap brothers and they’ve been good.

There’s another brand I’ve bought too, also a cheap laser. Seems similarly fine. Also had a cheap Samsung laser many years ago, that was fine too.

TLDR most cheap b&w lasers have been good to me.

Brother does natively support AirPrint tho which fuckin’ rocks. My brother AIO also supports native scan to email which I love. So far, it Just Works (but still don’t trust it on your main network).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm still debating a color laser but I don't know if I really need one. I definitely wouldn't bother if I was going to the office every day. That scan to email feature sounds very nice though. I need the printer to work with Linux and Windows but that hasn't been an issue for a long time for me, I'm assuming Brothers are fine in that regard.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The bike is 25.4 indeed measure after you buy that’s my saying!!!

Can anyone ponder or follow this trouble:

JDM HiLux Surf (4Runner) 2l-te diesel 2.4 engine. The one I couldn’t get to start. Shop said gas was in it drained and starts and runs but had ZERO power. They said we think it’s this MAP sensor.

Bought one that looked close (discontinued by Toyota) and had power but turbo light stays on unless it’s spooling then check engine light then back to turbo light.

Ordered the exact part # from AliExpress and same thing.

Tried real non turbo or wrong Toyota map sensors and no lights but ZERO power.

What do I do?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Started removing tile from more than half the house in preparation for new flooring. What a pain in the dick, I'm trying to mitigate the dust the best I can but it's still everywhere. Been using a giant Makita electric jackhammer that weighs a ton and my back is killing me already with only 1/4 of it done.

It will be awhile now before my house is no longer a construction zone, next is painting the ceiling, walls, and baseboards then ordering the flooring and having that put in so it's gonna be awhile :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Just scheduled an appointment with a new therapist.

After reading that old psych eval I've been really depressed. It feels like I'm just dumb and that it's over for me (I know this is not true bu that is kinda how it feels).

For the first time the covid isolation is starting to get to me.

"Intelligence" as some sort of measured property is mostly bullshit, you just did poorly on one test years ago.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Darchangel posted:

edit:

Now there's a thought.

Hey don’t let me discourage you though, I’m all for your sliding track/rail idea. I think it’s cool as gently caress. If you go for it you gotta show it off though. I wanna see it work. Not sure I could do it myself without a fair bit of fiddling and I’ve fiddled together a fair bit of weird work.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

redgubbinz posted:

"Intelligence" as some sort of measured property is mostly bullshit, you just did poorly on one test years ago.

Yeah I feel better about it today. I just went though a bit of shock looking back at the report.

I'm doing ok it's just good to know that I actually have add lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah I feel better about it today. I just went though a bit of shock looking back at the report.

I'm doing ok it's just good to know that I actually have add lol

You can't let old bullshit tests get you down. Years ago i took a placement test for re entry into college and the test told me I had a 4th grade understanding of math and not much better grasp of English. So I was probably just having a bad day when I took that test but it haunted me for years.b

Today was new tire day for the truck and the difference is nuts. Like, I have actual grip now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

You'd think so, and that's sort of what a linear bearing is, but think about how a drawer slide works. It doesn't have one short piece that can travel the whole length of the rail. It's got two long rails joined by a piece in between that rolls between the two pieces, so the sliding bit really can't be shortened much if at all. First thing I investigated.

Not quite what I was envisioning, but I think I have a better, simpler idea.

Bottom of your basket, small bracket with what I would call a cam follower bearing, or basically a small wheel on a stud. Maybe a 3/4" OD with a 1/4 or 5/16 stud. We have super heavy ones in industry, but I'm pretty sure I've seen light duty ones with ball bearings (instead of needle bearings) in home depot in the general hardware aisle. On the bottom "door", a small bit of channel, sort of upside down so it traps the wheel in it and moves the basket up/down as the door opens closes. I'm on my laptop so I can't easily sketch, but does that make sense?

e: Also to those that recommended "The Good Place" last month. Great little series. Like all shows, some episodes/seasons better than others, but it was a refreshing kind of cute not serious show.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 23, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
LOL, house shopping.
I would like something with a two car garage, but I found an otherwise perfect (well, it needs somethings, but I can over look them) house, with a one car garage. It's a 1929s house on a small lot and the 1 car garage is crammed in the lot and almost certainly would violate modern setback requirements as it is an inch from the house and maybe 2-3in from the neighbors garage. There is no way to expand this garage. But gently caress it, it is a well maintained 1920s house with mahogany inlaid floors, built-ins, wavy glass, and a glorious porch that actually makes up for no back yard.
In any event, I looked at the garage and it looked, uhm, small. So today before I made an offer, i sung by and measured the garage. It was hard to measure because it is full of loving boxes, but it is no longer than 189in from back wall to door. The subaru legacy GT wagon is 189in.
Welp, next house. :(

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I got a 31 on my ACT and have been in community college on and off for 8 years

Acedemic tests just test how well you do on tests

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Door Frame posted:

Same, and have dropped out of college several times and been dumb enough to volunteer to moderate a forum. :v:

Standardized testing is best at showing how well you do on standardized tests.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

I got a 1010 on my SAT (back when 1000 was considered "average" - scored above average on English, below average on math), spent way too much time flunking classes in community college, but that was more because I was too busy doing drugs.

When I went back to school, I made dean's list 2 long semesters in a row (plus a summer semester) at the same community college. Only one of those classes was curved. That's a 4.0 for an entire year (15 credit hour long semesters, took 6 hours over the summer). My average GPA when I originally dropped out was 0.5. When I returned for a year and a half, then left that CC to go to a university, I had repeated enough classes to bring it up to a 3.3 (it would have been higher, but the rest of the classes were no longer offered).

My big issue with school is I DO NOT do well with online formats. I can do a hybrid in person/online, but fully online... nope. Never passed an online class. Never did finish though, I can't get financial aid anymore because I hosed around so much in the 90s... before the law capping how many attempted credit hours you can have and still get financial aid (even if you'd never received financial aid) was a thought in a legislator's sack.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I'm doing on online U right now and I can do it, but I have a super hard time compared to in person lectures. That said, I don't mind online testing as long as they, you know, make sense.

So how are you guys doing Halloween this year for the trick or treaters?

Doing it at all? If so, any changes?

I'm thinking we will try to make it as normal as possible. Plan on prepackaging everything in little individual bags like normal and as long as the weather is agreeable, just sit on my step so they don't have to all come up the step and hit the doorbell.

Wearing a mask of course.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Yeah, I'll be outside in full PPE hidden by a costume. I'll have one of the long reach robot grabbers to drop the candy bags right into the kids pillow cases.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I mean even if the test is right I still finished school and have been doing ok for myself.

If I'm 90IQ I'm the smartest 90 IQ person out there :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My right foot was swollen like a balloon last night and I couldn't walk. Doctor friend told me to take 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours a total of four times. Now my foot is deflated, but it feels super bruised. I can walk around my apartment though, so that's good!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah I guess that's true. Hard work is more important than intelligence in a lot of cases. I'm over it now honestly but I was really hurting for a few days after reading that report. I just didn't know what to do with myself.

I have a brother laser printer and I love it. It wasn't very expensive compared to an ink-jet and you can get Chinese cartridges for like $20-$30 on ebay that have saved me a ton of money of the past year.

I have not had a single issue with it either which I can not say for any other printer I've owned in the past.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite posted:

I'm thinking we will try to make it as normal as possible. Plan on prepackaging everything in little individual bags like normal and as long as the weather is agreeable, just sit on my step so they don't have to all come up the step and hit the doorbell.

I have discussed it with some of our neighbors as well as some discussions on our facebook group. Sounds like pretty much everyone is on board, wearing masks etc and making sure to use appropriate caution. There have been a few households catch Rona since the pandemic started but it has largely not affected us. School is in session too, most (including ourselves) have our children in school. My kids were so happy to go back to school (1st and 3rd grades). I have asked how it is wearing masks etc and they said it is no bother at all. They said kids in their class haven't had any issues with it either. They have great hand washing habits - which was the case pre-COVID but it is :3: to hear my 6 YO counting out loud while he washes and scrubs his hands, front and back etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a brother laser printer and I love it. It wasn't very expensive compared to an ink-jet and you can get Chinese cartridges for like $20-$30 on ebay that have saved me a ton of money of the past year.

Only issue I've had so far with my Brother MFP is the cheap cartridges on Amazon and eBay (that claim to have a working chip) never work on the first try - the printer bitches about there not being a cartridge in it, or complains about it being "non-genuine" and refuses to print.

You can pop the chip off of the original starter cartridge, pop it into the replacements, and go through some Konami code on the menus to reset that chip. I kept resetting the original cartridge until it started streaking noticeably (about 2000 pages, I think it was rated ~750pages?).

64bit_Dophins posted:

I mean even if the test is right I still finished school and have been doing ok for myself.

If I'm 90IQ I'm the smartest 90 IQ person out there :)

I'm pretty sure the drat password requirements for this place eliminate anyone with under a 130 IQ.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Speaking of password policies, someone I know had their IT department ask for their password to set up a new laptop. This person is a sad nerd who’s installed Win98 so many times they have memorized a CD key, thus making for an excellent password.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

Only issue I've had so far with my Brother MFP is the cheap cartridges on Amazon and eBay (that claim to have a working chip) never work on the first try - the printer bitches about there not being a cartridge in it, or complains about it being "non-genuine" and refuses to print.

You can pop the chip off of the original starter cartridge, pop it into the replacements, and go through some Konami code on the menus to reset that chip. I kept resetting the original cartridge until it started streaking noticeably (about 2000 pages, I think it was rated ~750pages?).

I'm pretty sure the drat password requirements for this place eliminate anyone with under a 130 IQ.

I never had to do that - my printer is at my mom's house at the moment because I have not had to print anything since covid started (just use docusign 99% of the time).

The next time I go over there I'll get the brand name. I've had that issue with knock-off carts in the past but I remember being really surprised that the one I got worked.

I mean I always used to think that everyone on the internet was at least sort of smart, but now bc of facebook/smartphones/internet of things etc every dummy is on the internet, which is one of the main reasons we have Trump and Qanon poo poo.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

The police department in my city is doing a "reverse trick or treat" - they put a PDF you can print out with an outline of a pumpkin, your kid colors it in and you tape it in the window, officers drop off bags of treats when they see them.

Otherwise ... I wouldn't be doing it at all - order a bag of candy from somewhere, watch Hocus Pocus and let the kid stay up late. I just don't think it's worth it with the pandemic going on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Can confirm. I'm in the latter group. I mean, I'm not destitute or anything, but I'm nowhere near 4 figgies, for example, despite having a decent IQ and great grades, etc. Real world does not equal test results. Do what you can and don't worry about it. You made it this far.
Edir: 6 figures. Geeze.

The Door Frame posted:

Pretty much. I'm really good at the tests. Life...eh.

trouser chili posted:

Hey don’t let me discourage you though, I’m all for your sliding track/rail idea. I think it’s cool as gently caress. If you go for it you gotta show it off though. I wanna see it work. Not sure I could do it myself without a fair bit of fiddling and I’ve fiddled together a fair bit of weird work.

I'll think about what I want to do. Fair warning for future pics/videos: the cabinet door is ugly. It's got so many layers of paint on it, and we last painted it when we moved in 20 years ago. It's not holding up, especially around the knob where hands kept touching it. That goes for all of the cabinets in there, really.

slidebite posted:

Not quite what I was envisioning, but I think I have a better, simpler idea.

Bottom of your basket, small bracket with what I would call a cam follower bearing, or basically a small wheel on a stud. Maybe a 3/4" OD with a 1/4 or 5/16 stud. We have super heavy ones in industry, but I'm pretty sure I've seen light duty ones with ball bearings (instead of needle bearings) in home depot in the general hardware aisle. On the bottom "door", a small bit of channel, sort of upside down so it traps the wheel in it and moves the basket up/down as the door opens closes. I'm on my laptop so I can't easily sketch, but does that make sense?

Oh, yeah, that's what I was describing as my initial idea - like a window roller guide for a car side glass, the type used to actually lift the glass in a scissor lift style. I just went looking to see if something like that already existed, which is where I got on to the linear bearings. I've got a set of inline skate wheel bearings (think the bearings in fidget spinners) I could easily use. They're right around 3/4", so a 1" C-channel should work. I might just try that (because I get to *build* things!) first, and move on if it fails

nm posted:

LOL, house shopping.
<snip>
In any event, I looked at the garage and it looked, uhm, small. So today before I made an offer, i sung by and measured the garage. It was hard to measure because it is full of loving boxes, but it is no longer than 189in from back wall to door. The subaru legacy GT wagon is 189in.
Welp, next house. :(

It's amazing how small early cars were, and garages were built to match.

Halloween: not sure what we're doing. Usually, we sit out in the front yard around our small fire pit, with my garage radio playing a Halloween Pandora channel, and wait for the kids. Might could still do that, just masked up, and put the bowl 6' out away from us.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 23, 2020

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Can confirm. I'm in the latter group. I mean, I'm not destitute or anything, but I'm nowhere near 4 figgies, for example, despite having a decent IQ and great grades, etc. Real world does not equal test results. Do what you can and don't worry about it. You made it this far.

Pretty much. I'm really good at the tests. Life...eh.

It's amazing how small early cars were, and garages were built to match.

Halloween: not sure what we're doing. Usually, we sit out in the front yard around our small fire pit, with my garage radio playing a Halloween Pandora channel, and wait for the kids. Might could still do that, just masked up, and put the bowl 6' out away from us.

4figgies? Like 4 figures?

I'm not longer worried about it. It is what it is. I'm just happy to be sober, have a good job, and health insurance (for once). So all in all I'm doing well for myself even if I am disabled ;)

One of the houses I stayed in while I was in college was built in 1912 and had the smallest garage built into it (assuming this was a later addition?) Anyways my roommates eg civic 2 door hatch fit and nothing else. My old 6th gen accord wasn't even close, the garage just was not long enough. My other roommate had a Pontiac Aztek and that was too tall for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Found this pretty quickly looking for antique car dimensions.

My parents old garage, likely built around 1915, had the same car parked in it and had about the same clearances.

Meanwhile my 1978 garage barely fits the Galaxie. Moral of the story, most garages aren't big enough.