Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a common trap that new or inexperienced writers fall into, that's obvious in hindsight or once it's pointed out: you can only write a character who's as intelligent as you yourself are. This isn't an issue with most characters, but becomes a huge problem if you're writing That Power Fantasy Character who's the Smartest Most Clever Genius in a Room Full of Other Supposed Geniuses who Don't Recognize that He's a Genius and who Earn Their Comeuppance Through Antagonizing the Real Genius. :smuggo:

In order for that character to prove they're the smartest, everyone else has to be dumber. I'm going to pretend I call this the Dunning-Sueger effect.

That's not necessarily even a problem in young adult fiction (at least, in terms of reader enjoyment, it's still a huge issue for other reasons). If the reader is cleverer than the main character they get a positive feeling for being smarter than a super-genius; and if they aren't they still get to vicariously enjoy the main character's supposed brilliance because they're (usually) privy to his thoughts.

Obviously this is loving awful for developing mental health because the reader constantly gets to feel like they're also the smartest person in the room (rather than the likely truth: that they either matched or outwitted an author of moderate intelligence). Even this isn't a problem if they're consuming other media. I love my trash fiction, it's cathartic, but it's not the only thing I read.

From a writer's perspective, there's also an incredibly easy technique that anyone can use to avoid falling into the Dunning-Sueger hole:

Don't claim your main character is a genius. There's a reason all the Sherlock Holmes novels were from Watson's perspective.

We had that in a roleplaying group once. This guy's character was a super genius and the player... believes himself to be a super genius... The DM made this plot for him where he should have solved some puzzles and he couldn't figure them out at all. And of course he wouldn't admit that, so we spent ages waiting for him to figure things out. There was also the time when he tried to outsmart a priest of the god of outsmarting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Couldn't the necromancer have accomplished the same thing by just kidnapping some random woman and wiping her mind? I know this is supposed to be some Frankstein thing, but the method makes it seem kinda redundant.
I don't even know what the necromancer was trying to accomplish. There was Vine Man, Dead Guy, and Corpse Daughter. Did I miss an explanation of what the deal was with the vines (other than "something something they whisper blah blah spooky") or any meaningful explanation of Vine Man and Dead Guy?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Clearly the necromancer explained the entire plot when he ran into Snout, as well as his motivation and a copious amount of puns because this is the Deegan world. Unfortunately Snout is deaf, so he couldn't hear it. The confusion we all feel now at the necromancer's motivation is highly artistic and shows the struggle of a deaf person to keep up with the things happening around them in a world that relies mostly on the spoken words. It also means that Mookie doesn't need to bother making up a motivation for his characters.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

My favourite part was when the skin man smiled and produced a flower before turning into dust.
It absolutely reeks of a improvised cheesy ending to an unplanned plot. You almost hear Mookie saying to himself "Yeah this'll do, I guess. This is something, right? Poetic maybe?"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Elysiume posted:

I don't even know what the necromancer was trying to accomplish. There was Vine Man, Dead Guy, and Corpse Daughter. Did I miss an explanation of what the deal was with the vines (other than "something something they whisper blah blah spooky") or any meaningful explanation of Vine Man and Dead Guy?

Well, you see, they are necromantic vines.

Glad I could clear that up!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The necromancer was clearly trying to put the romance back into necromancer. You see, this is not at all a fetish-

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
He's a coward anyway, this isn't even actual necrophilia, it's just... poorly drawn women with distant expressions. It's only confusing.

stop being a baby, mookie, give in to your desires, draw your insert making out with mutilated zombie girls like you obviously want to

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

He's a coward anyway, this isn't even actual necrophilia, it's just... poorly drawn women with distant expressions. It's only confusing.

stop being a baby, mookie, give in to your desires, draw your insert making out with mutilated zombie girls like you obviously want to

I wonder if he's actually REALLY into "necromancy" that's just trees and ghosts and vines, or if he's just doing that to try to ease his readers into it because he knows everyone will abandon him if he does ACTUAL necrophilia.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When I saw the image preview for this I was like "that's way too competent for Mookie, that MUST be traced."

And then I read the text and do I know my Mookie or what!

Of course he still hosed up the eye though (and the ear...!)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Maybe his friend just has a misshapen ear growing out of his neck.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah, I just mean the giant divot/bitemark on her ear. The stuff hanging from it that looks like vines or gore is supposed to be pearls.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

When I saw the image preview for this I was like "that's way too competent for Mookie, that MUST be traced."

And then I read the text and do I know my Mookie or what!

Of course he still hosed up the eye though (and the ear...!)

The jewelry is all there in the original picture, so all he did to "fancy" it up is use a splotch brush over the jewels, and some splotches in the background.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I've been thinking about No Man's Sky a lot. I tried playing it again recently after dropping it soon after it came out. The planets are certainly pretty, and there's a certain artistic flair to the way they've combined elements in their procedural generation. But I'm staggered by the empty pointlessness of the universe in the game. It's so enormous that even finding some of the cooler worlds takes forever, and there's no way that most of it will ever be experienced by any human. It's great for creating really picturesque screenshots if you can find the right planet, but very little else. I'm just saying this because I realize that is how Mookie thinks about his comics. Like SMG says, he loves what he thinks are powerful ideas or visuals, but lacks the ability to actually say something compelling with them or realize them fully in his own art.

This doesn't strictly relates to the battle for Barthis, except in so much as it too is poorly realized garbage

Chapter 14 the Battle for Barthis Part 1 [Part 2]

Obviously come out and say it, a man doesn't get the call a hook up that his girlfriend had a "mistake". She can call it a mistake, she can feel how she wants about it, but the fact that it's being presented this way is like a learning experience on her way to Dominic's love is creepy. It's putting so much weight on the act of women having sex. Guaranteed movie does not think about dudes in the same way. Also, even though obviously in a normal story Luna and Dominic would've had sex by now, I think the implication is that they are both remaining chaste up to this point. In spite of being in bed several times with each other. If I remember correctly, the the large frame with all the Lunas and bikinis is the vision he has after they have sex.

Also let's take more praise on Dominic for being such a nice guy, unlike those awful awful jerk chads. Nielen literally exist in the story to be the rear end in a top hat who got all the girls Mookie liked. There's no other way to read those last four panels.

Given the very confusing stakes, I love that it's the comic relief trio who goes to save the town and everybody is joking about it lightheartedly. It's such a contrived conversation for Luna and Cassafin to have as well. Does Cassafin even know hwho Milov is?

The solution to their legal problems is to go to their genius lawyer friend who knows all the law counterspells. Also in the focus on Donovan wearing pink as some sort of signifier of supreme coolness.

This is I have to say when the confusing part of the battle for Barthis. Mookie introduces Mr. Sturtz again, and has him provide solutions to all of the problems that Serk has created. But in the next few comics, he will reverse all of those solutions. I guess this is supposed to be a scene establishing that Serkhas wily legal manoeuvres, but it flops because the plot beats don't have time to breathe before the reversal, so it doesn't land.

Here's another fun strip though, where Mariella, despite being one of the most cunning legal minds in the country, is still judged largely on the fact that she sleeps with a bad dude. Why did it have to be a sexual relationship? It immediately undercuts the character, is effectively slut shaming her.

It is unclear to me if Pam is also a priestess. But the main dumb thing here is why would anyone need organ transplants in the setting? Why would they even be a thing that Greg would conceive of? It's a throwaway gag, but it's so stupid to include especially when Greg solution is maybe you can regrow them with white magic, which would seem to be the obvious reason they wouldn't be necessary. Also how much money does he owe that his endowment funding mom doesn't have it?

This is a tiny quibble, but why would the banks be giving you reconstruction aid? Learn how your own country works Mookie! It be great if we could have some sort of set up to these reveals of different laws, because as is it's like the whole system is arbitrary and exist purely to set up token hurdles to our heroes! That can't be the case though!

I love how fast these things are happening to. This seems to be happening in the course of minutes.

Law legal law legal law. All Mookie can think about right now in the story. How exactly would anyone find out about the assault if everyone in town is on his side? At this point Barthis is just a neighbourhood of New York. It makes no sense given how Callanian society seemed to exist during visions of doom, where death cult could take over a town, that Greg's need to worry about assaulting Serk.

always what Donovan does here doesn't count as assault somehow.

Again, somehow this doesn't count as assault, because it's funny and involves butts. Few more quibbles. First, how does Serk know what Quilt is and why is he okay with it? Donovan is just walking around with a horrible Frankenstein, stitched together corpse man and everybody is cool with it. Okay.

Second, I don't understand Mookie's reasoning at all with using that statement on Serk's part. Does he think making the villain say it is clever somehow? Love that tender moment in panel 7, too. Can't lead any minor thing the deegans do for their friends go unrewarded with thankful looks.

So basically, if Mookie had not introduced the idea of financial aid at all, all those strips didn't need to happen. Also how does Dominic know any of this, he's not there and should be privy to it. But it's time for the old-fashioned Deegan creepy voyeurism!

I guess Cirque was Brett's lawyer. And he benefited directly from the slaughterball team. There's the big conspiracy. It's not even reveal, it's just obvious.

His motivation for the stadium, is just to get people to buy Brett memorabilia. Also love this amazing spin campaign he's coming up with. Just "he was defending that stripper!". And here once again Mookie revels in misogyny through his villains. Gets to call that anonymous stripper a slut. Love the idea that there would be rumours that she was a "single mother". What is that even supposed to mean? Why would anyone care.

The revelation is that the evil businessmen.... is out for PROFIT!!!! Who could have guessed??? Once again Dominic considers the need to burn the world because of all the bad people in it. He is the worst. Serk is also the one who got Szark's "first kill" murdered, so I guess we can shift the rest of Szark's guilt onto him! Yay for scapegoats!

Courtesy dead boobs since Mookie was getting bored. Not content with that plot revelation however...

Mookie then decides to show us Luna being deflowered by Serk. To make sure we understand her sadness and humiliation, and not for any weird fancy reasons of his own. No sir.

I cannot express how creepy it is that Dominic decides to keep watching through this and not turn away.

This one strip makes me love Serk though. In any other story obviously it wouldn't. But knowing that he is supposed to be "the jerk who just wants to sleep with you and throw you away, unlike me, the nice guy"makes me appreciate his sheer brazenness. Like that panel seven. I do love the expression, I love his line, I love everything about it. It's like if a Disney villain was in an R-rated movie.

Though I must say I can't figure out if Mookie is trying to make Serk seem fancy or gay. What's with the cigarette holder? Is he supposed to be Audrey Hepburn or something? It's such a weird choice. I'm not even saying this as a knock against it, I actually think Serk's character design is better than most of the other characters in the story. He's certainly easier to pick out in the crowd.

Serk is now tied to every event not involving the chosen that has happened so far. Callan is a kingdom of 20 people.

Somebody in the forums has to have called him out at this point because he after the fact makes up the reason why Dominic couldn't help himself, and then retroactively gets consent from Luna. That is exactly what he is doing. Way to be subtle, Mookie.

And then Dominic gets praised for being one of those dudes who asked for consent. Like I said, nice and subtle.

Here's where should gets real dumb (dumber than even before)

That's right, magical electric guitars! Though actually, they're normal electric guitars that are going to be powered by a thunder wizard. When that is introduced it's treated as a novel idea, so one wonders what the point of these things was before now. I know everyone here understands that me complaining about this is in saying that I need perfect realism in stories, or that things can't be anachronistic or tongue-in-cheek. But I just love introducing these things out of nowhere with a pun, that's not even a pun, and treating it is okay that this is the plot with no further explanation. Also Greg you're supposed rebel against your parents when you start a band in your teens. Playing guitar with your dad? Lame, especially his since he seems better at it than you. Seriously is Greg doing a power cord on an acoustic guitar? because that's what it looks like

All the ladies want aging burnout rock stars past their prime. Well, okay, this isn't too far off reality. It would be funny if Pam left Greg for Donovan.

Well thank God the dueling laws of Callan say that! The most cunning legal mind in Callan proves herself by... Looking it up in a book. That's basically all she contributes to this arc. I just love how incredibly obvious these wily legal manoeuvres are. He assaulted you so you can challenge him to a duel and have a proxy in your place! As if that isn't the most obvious, direct way the story can go.

If they're only thinking of charging people now, one wonders why they decided to do the impromptu guitar rock concert on what will canonically be unpowered electric guitars. This really makes me think that Mookie doesn't understand how guitars work.

Whenever Donovan's not onscreen, all the characters should be asking where's Donovan? And praising his music! Unclear how the people of Barthis have been surviving to this point, or even how long it's been since the town was destroyed.

So yeah, the plan is to host a benefit concert to raise funds to repair the town.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 22, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"We are the world
We are the Deegans
We are the ones who make a dumber plot so let's keep going
We're the only people
In the whole loving world
No one outside of here exists"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
And it will just keep getting worse... I mean, at this point you might think that the dumbest way this could possibly go would be for the power of music to sway Brakkis to the good side, while his evil girlfriend gets sexily impaled by a microfone, but that wouldn't be even close.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

And it will just keep getting worse... I mean, at this point you might think that the dumbest way this could possibly go would be for the power of music to sway Brakkis to the good side, while his evil girlfriend gets sexily impaled by a microfone, but that wouldn't be even close.

That's pretty terrible, all right.

If I didn't already know how this shook out, I'd guess that Brakkis uses an obscure legal precedent to challenge Deegan and the Deegans to a battle of the bands and if his team wins they get all the money. He then ingeniously uses another law that he's allowed to use proxies and hires a boy band to sing crowd-pleasing pop music and perform highly choreographed dance routines. The judges like Brakkis's band more and give them a better score but then when the Deegans play, Dominic scream-sings the band's number one hit "gently caress You See the Truth" into the mic and it shoots truth lasers into the eyes of the judges and gives them a vision that Brakkis had his singers enchanted by a magician to be good at singing which is against the rules for some reason and they are disqualified despite having scored higher then the crowd carries Dominic on their shoulders like Rudy.

That would be terrible too, but man, I wish that was all that was to come.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's pretty terrible, all right.

If I didn't already know how this shook out, I'd guess that Brakkis uses an obscure legal precedent to challenge Deegan and the Deegans to a battle of the bands and if his team wins they get all the money. He then ingeniously uses another law that he's allowed to use proxies and hires a boy band to sing crowd-pleasing pop music and perform highly choreographed dance routines. The judges like Brakkis's band more and give them a better score but then when the Deegans play, Dominic scream-sings the band's number one hit "gently caress You See the Truth" into the mic and it shoots truth lasers into the eyes of the judges and gives them a vision that Brakkis had his singers enchanted by a magician to be good at singing which is against the rules for some reason and they are disqualified despite having scored higher then the crowd carries Dominic on their shoulders like Rudy.

That would be terrible too, but man, I wish that was all that was to come.

Oh that would be great. How about if Brakkis bribed the judges to let his pop music band win, but then the Deegan band rocks just so loving awesome that the entire crowd is going wild and the judges are swayed by it?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did you skip over the horrible sex scene where they used "protection"? That was so dumb

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh that would be great. How about if Brakkis bribed the judges to let his pop music band win, but then the Deegan band rocks just so loving awesome that the entire crowd is going wild and the judges are swayed by it?

You're thinking too small. What I said happens and then immediately afterwards, what you said happens also because Mookie forgot the strip he did 3 days ago.

super sweet best pal posted:

Did you skip over the horrible sex scene where they used "protection"? That was so dumb

Yeah it was. I think he complained that the protection spell dulled sensation like condoms?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the protection spell is one of mookie's finest writing moments
it's unforgettable

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Serk Brakkis keeps making trips to this ruined town just to gloat about how he's going to own it, and then immediately goes home when the heroes say "Nuh-uh!"

I love the idea of this guy showing up for five minutes each day just to be smug.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

No, we're like 1-2 updates away from that one.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah it was. I think he complained that the protection spell dulled sensation like condoms?

No, it just "takes too long to cast."

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

That's right, magical electric guitars! Though actually, they're normal electric guitars that are going to be powered by a thunder wizard. When that is introduced it's treated as a novel idea, so one wonders what the point of these things was before now. I know everyone here understands that me complaining about this is in saying that I need perfect realism in stories, or that things can't be anachronistic or tongue-in-cheek. But I just love introducing these things out of nowhere with a pun, that's not even a pun, and treating it is okay that this is the plot with no further explanation. Also Greg you're supposed rebel against your parents when you start a band in your teens. Playing guitar with your dad? Lame, especially his since he seems better at it than you. Seriously is Greg doing a power cord on an acoustic guitar? because that's what it looks like

This feels like where his cribbing of the World of Warcraft universe as opposed to pure DND starts to really show up - much like Deegan, it has an anachronistic mish-mash of traditional fantasy trappings (elves, dragons, orcs etc), space aliens (also orcs, the draenei, demons), fantasy robots (gnomes, goblins, titans), a dash of DND-Lovecraft (the Old Gods) and modern references ("y'all love Indiana Jones right?") with both high and low stakes storytelling (with varying degrees of success). There's even two different genres of rock concerts in-game.

What date was this comic published? Because if it was around mid 2003 or later, then it's a pretty safe bet to blame Warcraft 3's end credits for everything about the power of rock music in Deegan.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 22, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

This is taking place mid 2005, so that's probably exactly what happened.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i hope snout cast a protection spell

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The upcoming arcs being written about when WoW's popularity was in full swing explains a lot about his love affair of orcs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I kind of love that apparently, even before being shot with lightning, people can hear the noise of these solid body guitars, because Mookie has no idea how music works.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Wonder how that guy listens to music while he thinks. Going to the town square and working near a playing bard would be my answer, but I think it's funnier to imagine that Mookie just pictures him popping a vinyl in his Yamaha turntable.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh and here’s Friday’s page, though sounds like most everyone’s seen it.

loving embarrassing, man.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Snout can never be the one initiating sexual contact, or seem initially interested in it, but it's ok because Mookie wants this to happen and Snout is but a mask for Mookie.

It's almost impressive how lovely soft boy-ism has managed to arrive at an equally misogynistic but completely inverted take on passive/active sexuality from the usual heteronormative madonna/whore complex, honestly?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheHan posted:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Snout can never be the one initiating sexual contact, or seem initially interested in it, but it's ok because Mookie wants this to happen and Snout is but a mask for Mookie.

It's almost impressive how lovely soft boy-ism has managed to arrive at an equally misogynistic but completely inverted take on passive/active sexuality from the usual heteronormative madonna/whore complex, honestly?

There’s something insidious about how every woman in the couples Mookie writes is always the lesser of and dependent on the soft boi. Even the Ink Witch was made emotionally dependent on Snout as her only friend, despite excelling beyond him in every category. Now we’ve reached some kind of event horizon where Snout’s corpse wife is a literal blank slate who only knows as much as he teaches her.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Unspoilering my previous comments:

Not gonna lie, I wasn't actually expecting Mookie to go there. Like, it's fun to joke about, but (I thought) even he's not that gross.

Nope. He's that gross.

Ugh gently caress you Mookie. I thought you couldn't disappoint me any more than the Elf War reveal, but this is up there.

In Inktober news, Mookie traced Charles-Amable Lenoir's The Flute Player and drew some lines + a titty on it.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

how can a comic be so gross and offputting but also so loving boring

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
You know, thinking about it, this Serk dude is way more of a villainous foil than Celesto. This dude has suddenly been established to be behind just about everything that's happened so far, if the Storm of Souls took place after this, it'd feel weird if Serk wasn't the Champion of Chaos. Celesto met them once, but this dude has apparently been a thorn in their side for ages now.

Speaking of the Storm of Souls, Celesto was the Chapion of Chaos and Dominic was the Champion of Balance. Did the forces of Law just... gently caress off? What were they doing and why didn't they have a Champion of their own? Shouldn't that have been a big three-way fight?

I don't even know what to say about this Legacy page.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In Inktober news, Mookie traced Charles-Amable Lenoir's The Flute Player and drew some lines + a titty on it.

The original:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Weird you'd think I'd no longer be surprised by Mookie's total lack of self awareness, but here we are.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And WRT the reread: yet a-loving-gain, Dominic fails to respect his loved ones’ boundaries and doesn’t get called out on it, despite this being his biggest breach of privacy yet. In any other story, Luna would be more than within her rights to be beyond furious with him for doing something this gross; like, imagine if she had walked in while it was still in the middle of showing her having sex?

And yet, she’s still a total pushover for him even after that, which really just highlights the total power imbalance in their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How did he make hugging seem wrong.