Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Convex posted:

Retrieving the key from the policeman's neck must have been interesting in VR :stonk:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I learned from watching a speedrun that the Japanese version just has you pick up the key next to his body lol
That's got me wondering... Do Japanese fans care about not getting the gorier parts like that in their versions of the games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished Code Veronica for the first time and wow, the ending of that game is not paid off by the start of RE4 whatsoever. It's like a 'Umbrella died on the way back to its home planet' level plot twist :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Humble Bundle is doing exactly that and the deluxe edition is $7.49 so I have the whole game now!

RE7 is very very gross, just walking around the environments is unsettling. It's so good

Yeah but that food they were whipping up sure looked tasty. Thank god VR doesn't let you smell a video game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Convex posted:

Just finished Code Veronica for the first time and wow, the ending of that game is not paid off by the start of RE4 whatsoever. It's like a 'Umbrella died on the way back to its home planet' level plot twist :v:

That's when I realised they were just winging it instead of having an actual story planned out lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, what came after CV was REmake and REZero, neither of which was really advancing the story at all.

RE4's beginning just feels like "okay, we've stretched this Umbrella thing out as long as we can. We're reaching 80s cartoon level "I'll get you next time, Gadget" territory." And so they started a new plotline with new monsters and monster sources

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Speaking of RE4, RE3make has a file where an Umbrella employee criticizes the Europe division's choice to use parasites as bioweapons.

Seems like an intentional nod to RE4

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, what came after CV was REmake and REZero, neither of which was really advancing the story at all.

RE4's beginning just feels like "okay, we've stretched this Umbrella thing out as long as we can. We're reaching 80s cartoon level "I'll get you next time, Gadget" territory." And so they started a new plotline with new monsters and monster sources

yeah thats exactly what mikami did, i remember him saying back then in some mag or something that after zero and all the failed re4 attempts, he figured this poo poo was just exactly the same and stale so threw everything out, plotwise too and started again in a reboot kinda way and since then capcom have been doing tons of spinoffs/movies to try and reconnect it all back together lol.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Convex posted:

Yeah, the main writer on RE, Noboru Sugimura, died in 2005. Nobody's ever disclosed his cause of death that I'm aware of, but finding that out made the rudderless nature of the story make a little more sense to me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Umbrella Chronicles more or less features the “let’s lead one big final assault on Umbrella” as its endgame, so we did sorta get that eventually.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What’s the best way to play Code Veronica these days if I don’t feel like hooking up the PS3 for the HD version. PS2? It looks like the GameCube version is uhhhhh a little pricy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What’s the best way to play Code Veronica these days if I don’t feel like hooking up the PS3 for the HD version. PS2? It looks like the GameCube version is uhhhhh a little pricy.

I just played through my PS2 copy on my PC via emulator. Worked pretty well and when I got angry about lack of ammo it was nice and easy to cheat.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Convex posted:

Retrieving the key from the policeman's neck must have been interesting in VR :stonk:

"Poor deputy."

The voice actor for Ethan sounds so weird. Par for the course for RE I guess, but the family is so crazy that the main character sounds so oddly muted.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pooch516 posted:

"Poor deputy."

The voice actor for Ethan sounds so weird. Par for the course for RE I guess, but the family is so crazy that the main character sounds so oddly muted.
Ethan gets a lot of poo poo for being bland and colorless, but it's really more that everything around him is so crazy and over-the-top that being basically just a normal guy would make him look like he's just not up to snuff no matter what. He's not remotely as bad as the guy from Silent Hill 4. Now that was a real zero-personality bore.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Medullah posted:

I just played through my PS2 copy on my PC via emulator. Worked pretty well and when I got angry about lack of ammo it was nice and easy to cheat.

Thanks. CV and 0 are the only main series games I’ve never played

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I will forever love Ethan for having his only true moment of voice acting energy being not when he loses a hand and glues it back on, but when he sees a kinda gross bug

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cardiovorax posted:

Ethan gets a lot of poo poo for being bland and colorless, but it's really more that everything around him is so crazy and over-the-top that being basically just a normal guy would make him look like he's just not up to snuff no matter what. He's not remotely as bad as the guy from Silent Hill 4. Now that was a real zero-personality bore.

I think Ethan was a nothing burger because they wanted him to be forgettable so when you were in VR you felt more like the protagonist of the story.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I will forever love Ethan for having his only true moment of voice acting energy being not when he loses a hand and glues it back on, but when he sees a kinda gross bug

My favorite part is still if you let Jack get you in the hatch room, he cuts off your leg and then gives you a first aid kit, Ethan is like "what...the...gently caress" as his foot reattaches

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
4 is one of my top five all time games and I’ve played 5 through 7 but I’ve never played the others so I started RE1 for the first time today. Gonna be my game to try and beat for spooky month

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Medullah posted:

I think Ethan was a nothing burger because they wanted him to be forgettable so when you were in VR you felt more like the protagonist of the story.
I guess I'm in the minority for this, but I honestly thought Ethan came across very well as an 'outside character' who isn't yet completely inured to the craziness and bullshit of the Resident Evil series and has started to just play along. Well, to each their own.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Comedy benefits a lot from somebody playing the straight man, best examples being pretty much every interaction with Jack, so Ethan is fine by me. Beats getting an annoying protag, after all. I do appreciate that with Joe they showed they can have the protag show personality in the RE7 approach too. Chris was OK but I can't remember anything he said in Not a Hero.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thanks. CV and 0 are the only main series games I’ve never played

Do you have any interest in playing Zero? It gets bit of a bad rep because it came out and embodied "we are clearly out of ideas and just running in place" but it's not bad on its own, I think. Good music, some interesting changes to the traditional RE gameplay, it looked really damned good for its time, and I kinda miss Billy Coen.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you have any interest in playing Zero? It gets bit of a bad rep because it came out and embodied "we are clearly out of ideas and just running in place" but it's not bad on its own, I think. Good music, some interesting changes to the traditional RE gameplay, it looked really damned good for its time, and I kinda miss Billy Coen.

Honestly I’ve never been that interested in playing 0 for some reason lol. But I guess it’s probably worth checking out on sale

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Honestly I’ve never been that interested in playing 0 for some reason lol. But I guess it’s probably worth checking out on sale
It really isn't.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gonna go to bat and say that 0 is Fine if you’re looking for another classic RE fix. The item management and character switching adds some tedium, but you could do a lot worse.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Between it and Code Veronica, I think Zero is way, way better. CV has always been my least favorite RE game. The only praise I can give it is the music is out of this world good.

They tried some new stuff with the camera or something and t made CV age so much worse than pretty much every other RE game i terms of graphics.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also gonna go to bat and say that Code V owns. It had great atmosphere and some genuinely unsettling moments, plus all the good camp you come to the series for. It felt like proper sequel to 2 imo, which I understand was the original plan anyway. It’s maybe a little too long for it’s own good, and you can totally gently caress yourself if you don’t play conservatively with ammo, but the broken rear end knife is fun and alleviates that worry.

CV supremacy.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

WaltherFeng posted:

Speaking of RE4, RE3make has a file where an Umbrella employee criticizes the Europe division's choice to use parasites as bioweapons.

Seems like an intentional nod to RE4

Isn't that more of a direct allusion to the way the G-Virus is spread? Remember, Nemesis comes from the Europe team and is a Tyrant infused with a parasite. I might be off base, the plots for these games are best considered in broad strokes. I seriously have been lost since trying to figure out what drove Wesker's betrayal based on his speech in RE1 way back when and it took until RE5 or 6 before I went "gently caress it, zombies, black science, cool, got it"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

its because ethan is a gross bug enthusiast and he knows those centipedes only live in japan, and he's just not emotionally equipped to deal with that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the shadowy organization that was researching the evil mold superscience was also smuggling invasive foreign bug species as a side gig

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

its because ethan is a gross bug enthusiast and he knows those centipedes only live in japan, and he's just not emotionally equipped to deal with that

He played Sekiro and knows that centipedes are bad news

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wesker hates Chris so much because early-onset Alzheimers and early dementia run in his family and he's seen a lot of family members go downhill super fast, so when Chris said he was senile, it really hurt his feelings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Also, he worked so hard on that tyrant, like so hard. Laughing at him was really rude.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
There was a lot of Saturday morning cartoon villain laughing in Code Veronica now I think about it. Game was dumb as hell even for the RE series, like even the giant robot conquistador in RE4 was less stupid imo

Convex fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 23, 2020

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I will never tire of Chris's final middle finger to that rivalry being to take Wesker's Samurai Edge, modify it into an Anti-BOW weapon, and call it Albert. That is a level of pettiness I can only dream of.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah thats exactly what mikami did, i remember him saying back then in some mag or something that after zero and all the failed re4 attempts, he figured this poo poo was just exactly the same and stale so threw everything out, plotwise too and started again in a reboot kinda way and since then capcom have been doing tons of spinoffs/movies to try and reconnect it all back together lol.

It makes sense too if you look at all the various RE4 incarnations they were doing before arriving at what would become the final game. Like the earliest stuff you see definitely has the vibe of like we're taking the fight to umbrella this is the final showdown type stuff, then later on you get the hallucinations/hook man version, castle environments, etc.

Convex posted:

There was a lot of Saturday morning cartoon villain laughing in Code Veronica now I think about it. Game was dumb as hell even for the RE series, like even the giant robot conquistador in RE4 was less stupid imo

With this said, I do hope we get a Code Veronica remake since it could use it the most. That's one that actually would do well with the RE3 Remake treatment where they play around with it more instead of keeping it super close like the RE2 Remake.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DanielCross posted:

I will never tire of Chris's final middle finger to that rivalry being to take Wesker's Samurai Edge, modify it into an Anti-BOW weapon, and call it Albert. That is a level of pettiness I can only dream of.

When will they realize they are in love with each other

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously, that is some "naming the dog after your ex-wife" level poo poo.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He played Sekiro and knows that centipedes are bad news

Centipedes: bad

Losing a hand: Grappling hook time, baby!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

Centipedes: bad

Losing a hand: Grappling hook time, baby!

Hell yeah

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1319770359898402816?s=19

MANSION OH poo poo. We're finally gonna see some actual live action mansion poo poo and not just a hallway on the way to the hive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
RE4, 5 & 6 can be bought together for £12 right now and I took the bait because it's cheaper than RE4 alone and... the controls in this are super janky by modern standards. I really should have left this to memory.