Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I dropped my glasses and they came off the frame some. Took them to the store yesterday to have them fixed, and expected to have to pay for the (apparently complicated) repair.

They did it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
after having severe food poisoning yesterday and vomiting about 60 times in a 17 hour period, losing 10 pounds in that timeframe and feeling like death, I have stabilized enough where I can eat and drink again. Plain white rice with a little salt(to slowly get something mild into my stomach again) and some ice water has never tasted so heavenly.

I don't think I've had a single week of the last month go by without some sort of catastrophe happen, gently caress's sake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while doing some hard drive cleanup, using Spacesniffer, I noticed a folder that was...substantially bigger than it should be, nearly 50 gigs. Inside were backups for a program that had been spitting little 10-50MB files out into there every single day for two years. Getting 50 gigs of storage back out of nowhere is quite nice as I was running low.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Invictus posted:

while doing some hard drive cleanup, using Spacesniffer, I noticed a folder that was...substantially bigger than it should be, nearly 50 gigs. Inside were backups for a program that had been spitting little 10-50MB files out into there every single day for two years. Getting 50 gigs of storage back out of nowhere is quite nice as I was running low.

You've just reminded me of an incident years ago when someone I worked with was splitting a big file into multiple linked .rar files so they could sent it via email - they intended to break it into 10mb bits, but they actually chose 10kb, plus they created it on the server, not their own machine, so there was this hilarious, unstoppable flood of thousands of teeny tiny files popping up like mushrooms and completely clogging everything up.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The magic brooms from The Sorcerer's Apprentice, dumping buckets of bits instead of water

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pookah posted:

You've just reminded me of an incident years ago when someone I worked with was splitting a big file into multiple linked .rar files so they could sent it via email - they intended to break it into 10mb bits, but they actually chose 10kb, plus they created it on the server, not their own machine, so there was this hilarious, unstoppable flood of thousands of teeny tiny files popping up like mushrooms and completely clogging everything up.

Laughing IRL about this thank you, I did something like this as a teenager but nowhere near as bad

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The magic brooms from The Sorcerer's Apprentice, dumping buckets of bits instead of water

That is exactly what it was like - a desperate IT manager trying to stop the process and get rid of the horrid little files but the server was reacting sooo slooooowly he couldn't do much.

And yeah, it was absolutely hilarious.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY OF COVID-FARTS and I wish to publicize it so others can enjoy fartless COVID-19!!!!

Short version: It induces temporary lactose-intolerance, which results in flatulence/diarrhea/cramps/bloating.

Treatment: Switch to lactose-free milk while sick with COVID-19. You can go back to real milk once you are well.

Long version, so you can skip this if you don't care: I'm on my second round of COVID-19. First round, in April, lasted 25 days, and I had covid-farts for about 20 of it. This round started Sept 29, so I'm on Day 20. The very good friend who does my grocery shopping when I'm sick was talking about going on a trip, so I asked for Fairlife milk instead of real milk, cuz its use-by date is farther away, plus it's high protein so if I got too sick to cook, I could just have a big glass of milk-based beverage to wash down my zillion pills I take every day, and call it supper. Also, their chocolate milk isn't too bad for no-sugar-added and has the same amount of sugar as non-choco, real milk.

Fairlife is also lactose-free. Instead of huge amounts of loud, stinky farts, I had one or two medium-loud, moderately-stinky farts per day. Then, this Friday, I switched back to real milk, and several hours later developed full covid-farts! TA-DA!!!! Somehow, covid-19 induces thank-god-it's-temporary lactose intolerance.

Now, I just have to convince a few doctors and scientitians to recommend this approach to enough covid-fart sufferers to turn it into a real study, and my Nobel Prize For Medicine is in the bag!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I HAVE SOLVED THE MYSTERY OF COVID-FARTS and I wish to publicize it so others can enjoy fartless COVID-19!!!!
:aaa:
That's interesting! Would you consider crossposting it to other subforums' covid threads?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Short version: It induces temporary lactose-intolerance, which results in flatulence/diarrhea/cramps/bloating.

Treatment: Switch to lactose-free milk while sick with COVID-19. You can go back to real milk once you are well.

Long version, so you can skip this if you don't care: I'm on my second round of COVID-19. First round, in April, lasted 25 days, and I had covid-farts for about 20 of it. This round started Sept 29, so I'm on Day 20. The very good friend who does my grocery shopping when I'm sick was talking about going on a trip, so I asked for Fairlife milk instead of real milk, cuz its use-by date is farther away, plus it's high protein so if I got too sick to cook, I could just have a big glass of milk-based beverage to wash down my zillion pills I take every day, and call it supper. Also, their chocolate milk isn't too bad for no-sugar-added and has the same amount of sugar as non-choco, real milk.

Fairlife is also lactose-free. Instead of huge amounts of loud, stinky farts, I had one or two medium-loud, moderately-stinky farts per day. Then, this Friday, I switched back to real milk, and several hours later developed full covid-farts! TA-DA!!!! Somehow, covid-19 induces thank-god-it's-temporary lactose intolerance.

Now, I just have to convince a few doctors and scientitians to recommend this approach to enough covid-fart sufferers to turn it into a real study, and my Nobel Prize For Medicine is in the bag!

I thought only like two people in the world had been confirmed re-infected?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah and there’s one of them

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
More like GoodyTwoInfections.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

I thought only like two people in the world had been confirmed re-infected?

That's because you would need to genetically sequence each infection to confirm reinfection.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Ayin posted:

:aaa:
That's interesting! Would you consider crossposting it to other subforums' covid threads?

Sure. Any particular threads?

Should I add a disclaimer in larger print that I know that one person =/= fact when it comes to medicine? Like, it takes millions of sick people, preferably with a Y chromosome and MD after their names before other doctors recognize a new illness.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son was born today :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Congrats!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brawnfire posted:

Congratulations!!

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

Brawnfire posted:

Congratulations !! :)

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Sure. Any particular threads?

Should I add a disclaimer in larger print that I know that one person =/= fact when it comes to medicine? Like, it takes millions of sick people, preferably with a Y chromosome and MD after their names before other doctors recognize a new illness.
I can recommend the one in C-SPAM. I think the local mod, Twoday, would find this intriguing.
I thought there was one in GBS but I can't find it, oops

Brawnfire posted:

congrats!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Goongrats!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brawnfire posted:

Mazel tov!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Songrats!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Happy birthday!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Today I set my personal best for sobriety since I decided to stop drinking back in the summer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thanks everyone, finally got to go home today!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tom Lehrer put his entire catalogue into public domain

https://tomlehrersongs.com/

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Today I set my personal best for sobriety since I decided to stop drinking back in the summer.
Nice work! :buddy:

As for me, yesterday was a great mental-health day, and today was pretty good too despite some unexpected things happening!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Finally found love.

Met this girl during a gaming tournament (Safely) being done in the area and she was around visiting family. After it was over we went out to eat and chatted a bit. She asked me if I was single and interested. So that threw me off guard. And we really connected and had a great time together.

I cant wait to see her again this weekend. We plan on going out to the park and having lunch outside. Then later connecting with friends to have nerdy fun playing videogames.

I never really dated and I am 33 years old. But my heart is telling me she is someone special and we both really like each other. So I am very happy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Seriously super :blessed: posts coming. Awesome stuff everyone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Finally found love.

Met this girl during a gaming tournament (Safely) being done in the area and she was around visiting family. After it was over we went out to eat and chatted a bit. She asked me if I was single and interested. So that threw me off guard. And we really connected and had a great time together.

I cant wait to see her again this weekend. We plan on going out to the park and having lunch outside. Then later connecting with friends to have nerdy fun playing videogames.

I never really dated and I am 33 years old. But my heart is telling me she is someone special and we both really like each other. So I am very happy.

GO FOR IT! :hellyeah:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is so wonderful! I’m smiling like a moron reading this post.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I got the job! Better money, quieter, and at a desk in a better (read, not refrigerated) environment! Hell yeah. Plus a couple of cool immersive horror ARGs I'm involved in are ramping up.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Finally found love.

Love happens when you do not look for it. Be your best most genuine self and enjoy the journey my friend!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
more generally over the weekend than "today" but I finally beat rogue Galaxy, which has a great final boss, and I also have an interview scheduled for today, and am hoping to hear back about a similar but closer role, both in warehousing but at least it would be stable (and out of the fridge that I've been working with). If the further place offers overtime that would offset the travel cost too by letting me work some saturdays for extra money, i'll find out. Also a tech support role emailed me to gauge my interest, so I submitted a cv for that too.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Just signed my new hire paperwork for a desk job. No insurance offered but super-nice people, and it's within a nice hotel system, so there's potential within a few years I can move up within the organization. I finally have a job I can feel proud telling people about.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Congrats!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I hit three weeks of sobriety today!!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hey congrats! :)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sounds like a good reason to celebrate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Sounds like a good reason to celebrate!

But not with booze!