Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

i used to deal with long boot times for databases back when I ran everything on a heavily overused netapp device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm reminded of something I posted on Tumblr during a previous job.

DRJ's Tumblr posted:

Robyn: That's how we get ants.
Pavo: I don't think we actually have ants. I think they came with us from the other office.
Me: Exactly. They hopped over in the scanner. Which I threw away.
Pavo: YOU THREW AWAY COMPANY PROPERTY?
Me: IT WAS FULL OF ANTS AND UNIDENTIFIABLE SCHMUTZ. OF COURSE I THREW IT AWAY. IT WAS OLD AS poo poo AND WE CAN BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR $60 SO YES I THREW IT AWAY. IT HAD ANTS.
Pavo: Oh. Right.
Me: ANTS. THE SCANNER. HAD. ANTS.
Pavo: Yeah, that's okay. And I guess we have a couple scanner-printers anyway.
Me: >:1

I like how I somehow have more PTSD from answering phone calls at night than from working for a literal actual criminal and sex offender registry all-star.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

I'm kind of interested to hear what kind of storage the operating system and/or application is on

Vinyl records? Six-track tapes?

......BetaMax?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Potato Salad posted:

I'm kind of interested to hear what kind of storage the operating system and/or application is on

Old Linux, did a fsck on some massive (for the time) raid volume?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I remember the first time I installed 128gb of ecc ram.

That was a long boot up time

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: Mother of God we somehow resurrected [server that has been dead for months]. 6 hours after we left, it came back online.
:confused: Wait... it took 6 hours to boot?
:v: 6 hours to boot.

Netware 3.12 mounting a couple of gigabrick (5.25 full height) SCSI-1drives and a CDROM. Yes, I have been in this business for that long.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Motronic posted:

Netware 3.12 mounting a couple of gigabrick SCSI-1drives and a CDROM. Yes, I have been in this business for that long.

Gotta install ConsoleOne on an XP VM with old rear end Java.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, I'd guess big ext filesystem(s) and long previous uptime, as well. xfs is a loving godsend, as we have a lot of set it and forget it systems.

A Dell 2950 with 128gb of RAM was a fun one to watch.

My least favorite ever (and showing my own age here) was dual-socket IBM Power 4 boxes with 32gb of RAM. 25 minutes minimum just for firmware loading, and then it handed off to the OS. And AIX 4.3.3 was not a quick booter.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Motronic posted:

We used to use all kinds of those things back in the day when physical, cabled KVMs were a thing.

Wait what?

What else is there?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DRAC and iLO.

MAYBE a crash cart if something gets proper hosed (or for initial setup).

I haven't seen a rack mount kvm in forever.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

DRAC and iLO.

MAYBE a crash cart if something gets proper hosed (or for initial setup).

I haven't seen a rack mount kvm in forever.

We had a "rack mount KVM". I don't think we ever used it. We either went in via iLO/DRAC from our desks, or hooked a crash cart to the front. If you're already in front of the rack may as well hook it to a crash cart vs loving with a thing built into the rack.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LethalGeek posted:

I had to step in for an ex of mine when whatever company running her DSL out in the boonies couldn't figure out her problem after 3 visits. I spend 20 minutes just figuring out what I'm looking at in the box when I notice that what I assume was a surge protection piece on the line was blown out. Bypassing the part got the internet working and gave her an angry phone call to make.

I wish I was more surprised how barely serviceable the average tech working these days is.

Field techs are much the same as help desk people.

The good ones move on to more technical non customer facing roles and the poo poo ones stay there forever.

Our highest level plant techs out west are loving incredible, but it's offset by that you have one guy covering 4 sites 60 miles apart, and he has an ETA for 8 hours for an outage because he needs to stop home and pack an overnight bag first, then meet someone else at a halfway point in the opposite direction to get spare parts. You'd think they'd be bitter vets from that but, they're also the nicest people on the planet. I wonder how much they get paid to deal with that level of bullshit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

spent a good like dozen emails working with a lady whose phone wouldn't send a picture via mms when on wifi

theoretically her iPhone should support with wifi calling but it won't stay on. she's actually a relatively close neighbor of mine and I know something is hosed up about the AT&T service here the last few weeks so phones think they have full signal but it's actually garbage and doesn't work but again can't convince her of that

she might believe me if she knew it was me but then if she knew it was me she'd come to me for help in the off time and gently caress that

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, I'd guess big ext filesystem(s) and long previous uptime, as well. xfs is a loving godsend, as we have a lot of set it and forget it systems.

Up until XFS decides to poo poo the bed like only it can, then you hope you didn't forget to setup backups :downsrim:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wibla posted:

Up until XFS decides to poo poo the bed like only it can, then you hope you didn't forget to setup backups :downsrim:

That's when I get to beat up on the VMWare guys for snapshots. And if that doesn't work. Rebuilding the cluster. That's the beauty of having all my data either on the SAN (my big hitters) or ephemeral (Universal Messaging and redis caches). Except for those assholes who use redis like a persistent database and then call us when their poo poo... shits. Then I get to laugh at them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

The good ones move on to more technical non customer facing roles and the poo poo ones stay there forever.
One place I worked for a six month contract I literally never got my network shares configured due to a combination of not really needing them, and the top ticket closer being moved from the IT team to the DLP team when a spot opened and she took her shot. Her ticket closure rate was something like ten times that of the next person down, and her FCR score was near perfect too. Just a ticket closing machine. Turns out she was holding the whole place together though, and they realised that having 15 people supporting a building of ~4k users was unsustainable.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I've been in a specialty for a couple years now so I don't know why I subject myself to the PTSD that this thread brings up, but I just wanted to say that for those of you who *do* suffer like I do/did, find a way to stop supporting front line users ASAP. Pick something about your job you enjoy (a technology, a program, a protocol, whatever) and become your company's master in that. And then get the gently caress out of there, go work for a different company that will pay you way more to just do that thing. You will be so much happier for it. I promise.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nexxai posted:

I've been in a specialty for a couple years now so I don't know why I subject myself to the PTSD that this thread brings up, but I just wanted to say that for those of you who *do* suffer like I do/did, find a way to stop supporting front line users ASAP.

I worked at Geek Squad for about a year and a half. It was generally a really lovely job but my 2nd black Friday ultimately broke me as a human. One of the reasons I stayed at my previous position so long was because the possibility of talking to customers again terrified me and I struggled to find a new job that had no customer interaction. There were a lot of things at that job towards the end that made me fear waking up in the morning, but the #1 thing on that list was that sales started giving our phone number out to customers for support, and I had to start talking to angry customers calling in and making them even angrier because I couldn't help them.

Funny enough, after I left geek squad, the department's customer service scores took a noticeable dip. For as much as the customer service aspect of it hurt me, I was drat good at it. But I say, completely earnestly, that I'd sooner live on the street than work at that place again.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Meanwhile I've had the same help desk job for well over a decade with no signs of stopping over here. Every other part of IT sounds worse to me honestly. Probably because the idea of sitting in meetings more than 1% of my time at work fills me with the same type of dread you express about taking calls. Also I refuse to work on printers.

Guess the phone doesn't phase me as much cause I'm doing an act the entire time so once the call is over I don't "stay" with it emotionally. I know I'm weird though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

Funny enough, after I left geek squad, the department's customer service scores took a noticeable dip. For as much as the customer service aspect of it hurt me, I was drat good at it. But I say, completely earnestly, that I'd sooner live on the street than work at that place again.
If anyone else is thinking "this sounds like the strategies people in abusive relationships develop to avoid the beatings" that's because it's the same thing. If you feel this bad it's time to GTFO.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Do you have one of those mythical help desk jobs where the customers aren't complete poo poo? I know they exist. Just few and far between.

My problem is that I have trouble letting things go. All it takes is that one rear end in a top hat and my whole day will be ruined. And if I see that rear end in a top hat come back, that's a ruined week right there. I could have 60 awesome customers, but then 1 dipshit comes in and that's all I can think about.

I remember one customer who was angry that our service center didn't fix her TV (because there was nothing wrong with it). So during our interaction, I pulled out a microfiber and started cleaning the screen just so we could at least give it back looking nice. She flipped out on me and started yelling that I was scratching her TV loud enough that a manager swung by to figure out what the noise was about. I was so pissed that I looked at the two of them, said I was supposed to leave a half hour ago, and just walked out the building.

Somehow I didn't get as much as a write up for that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Renegret posted:

Until they get fired for, apparently, loving around and never actually showing the gently caress up to their sites!

(One of the field techs at $currentjob found this out.)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

If anyone else is thinking "this sounds like the strategies people in abusive relationships develop to avoid the beatings" that's because it's the same thing. If you feel this bad it's time to GTFO.

To be fair, before I got hired they warned me I'd need thick skin since people get angry when their poo poo breaks, and you're the first person they talk to regarding broken poo poo. The company was fine mostly, I even had some good days on my designated "hide in the back and fix poo poo" day once a week. I'm not blaming best buy because my management would step in if customers were being straight up abusive, it was the months of customers being mean is what did me in. Black Friday wasn't bad because of what people did to me personally, Black Friday was bad because of the poo poo I saw other people do to eachother. Black Friday was the only time in my life I had a personal security detail, and before the day was over that cop had made an arrest.

I thought I could handle it because I was a retail cashier before that. I was wrong.

I would totally go back to scanning groceries though. I actually kind of enjoyed the zen.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dragonshardz posted:

Until they get fired for, apparently, loving around and never actually showing the gently caress up to their sites!

(One of the field techs at $currentjob found this out.)

lmao how the gently caress did they think you're gonna get away with that?

All of our techs get iPads that, of course track their every movement, but also gives them their routes, provision customer equipment, poo poo like that. But even without it, they think nobody would notice that their route wasn't getting completed and tickets weren't getting closed out?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The local Cadbury factory here had a night shift that was basically a half-dozen or so people spread through the place to basically make sure things did what they were supposed to overnight. One dude used to turn up at 10PM, wait an hour or so, then head over to the local pub. He'd drink until closing, come back across to the factory and sleep until just before six, when the morning shift would show up. Only got rumbled when one of the management happened to have their birthday party in that pub and he walked into it. Apparently he'd been pulling that trick for twenty five years :psyduck:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I work at a medium sized law firm so I wouldn't say they are saints as a whole but its definitely not the General Public. Except for the paralegals where 80% of them are horrible little dumb monsters for some reason I can't explain. At this point in time my coworkers largely aren't the types the thread likes to complain about and actually seem to know how to do their jobs. Since I work swing and now am distant no one really bothers me and never tried too hard to get all buddy buddy with me, which is awesome.

8 years ago I was about sick of talking to end users and begrudgingly started looking at my job's other depts for things I could go do that gets me away from users when life took a turn and I moved across the country. I figured I wouldn't be able to work remote as the business overall really didn't want anyone doing that but they made an exception so fast for me it made my head spin. Turns out it's a royal bitch to get someone to work 1600-0000 EST who isn't a dumbass that needs their hand held constantly I have since learned from ex managers. My hours make me more of an emergency call since things are still 9-5ish and a lot of could wait until morning but the things that can't really can't. So while I have to basically handle anything and everything I get faaaar fewer calls than working normal hours and spend most of my time screwing around or doing chores, and they are perfectly ok with that. I know this as during a meeting someone asked why Final Fantasy XIV showed up in the software inventory and the only response needed was my name before moving on.

Plus I'm on the west cost so I'm only working until 2100. Working until midnight was also grinding on me along with the users before moving addressed both well enough.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So most government offices in Ontario have their networks run by one big tech company who manages everything remotely and most of them have no on-site IT personnel of their own. And the networks are locked down such that if network drop isn't already in use then it's probably not even patched to a switch, and all switch ports are inactive unless specifically turned on, and will lock if it detects more than on MAC connecting beause they don't want any rogue switches on their network. Which honestly all makes a lot of sense. Whenever they need something physical changed on their network like a patch-and-activate, they don't even trust the employees in the building to do it, they contract it out to a third-party company that does IT stuff, like the one I work for, to come by and do it for them and tell $BigTechCompany exactly what's drop is being patched to what port so they can activate the port and know what it's connected to.
But, Ontario is big, has a lot of empty space, and most of the small towns don't have anyone doing IT contract work. We're one of the only ones in Northern Ontario, so our service area is huge for anyone who's willing to pay travel time costs for us to send a tech somewhere, which the provincial government apparently is.

All of which is to say that today I drove 3.5 hours, plugged in one ethernet cable and drove 3.5 hours home.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Do we have a homelab thread outside the NAS thread?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

So most government offices in Ontario have their networks run by one big tech company who manages everything remotely and most of them have no on-site IT personnel of their own. And the networks are locked down such that if network drop isn't already in use then it's probably not even patched to a switch, and all switch ports are inactive unless specifically turned on, and will lock if it detects more than on MAC connecting beause they don't want any rogue switches on their network. Which honestly all makes a lot of sense. Whenever they need something physical changed on their network like a patch-and-activate, they don't even trust the employees in the building to do it, they contract it out to a third-party company that does IT stuff, like the one I work for, to come by and do it for them and tell $BigTechCompany exactly what's drop is being patched to what port so they can activate the port and know what it's connected to.
But, Ontario is big, has a lot of empty space, and most of the small towns don't have anyone doing IT contract work. We're one of the only ones in Northern Ontario, so our service area is huge for anyone who's willing to pay travel time costs for us to send a tech somewhere, which the provincial government apparently is.

All of which is to say that today I drove 3.5 hours, plugged in one ethernet cable and drove 3.5 hours home.

I did this kind of work in interior Alaska for a long time. My favorite is getting a call from a clients NOC asking us to check on a device that was reporting as offline then driving 2 hours to find out that the building the device was in had been demolished

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LethalGeek posted:

Guess the phone doesn't phase me as much cause I'm doing an act the entire time so once the call is over I don't "stay" with it emotionally. I know I'm weird though.

Many years ago when I worked a call centre for a dial up ISP, I developed a completely separate personality for talking on the phone. All I did was lean back, close my eyes, and snooze while a bit of chipper personality with an encyclopedic knowledge of Windows 9x, trumpet winsock, and our dialing software talked people through the solution to their problem. Very weird, I’d have no memory of a shift at all after walking out the door.

I got fired for back talking the idiot supervisors they had, and overall it was for the best, it wasn’t until I’d lost the job that I realized I was getting stuck in that ‘mode’ when answering the phone at home and had to fix myself up.

I work an operations job now and I just sneakily fix peoples poo poo in the background and they dont even know it’s done until they get the ticket closure email. Probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but it saves me loads of time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: Mother of God we somehow resurrected [server that has been dead for months]. 6 hours after we left, it came back online.
:confused: Wait... it took 6 hours to boot?
:v: 6 hours to boot.

$20 says it was Server 2016

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Renegret posted:

All of our techs get iPads that, of course track their every movement, but also gives them their routes, provision customer equipment, poo poo like that. But even without it, they think nobody would notice that their route wasn't getting completed and tickets weren't getting closed out?

Apparently users - we're an entirely internal facing shop - complained loud and hard enough to overcome the state worker fugue. Why the guy thought he could get away with doing fuckall at every remote site in the upper third of the state is beyond me.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Entropic posted:

It's brutal but the ability to know exactly what is plugged in where over that much network is making me dizzy with joy.

EoRaptor posted:

Many years ago when I worked a call centre for a dial up ISP, I developed a completely separate personality for talking on the phone. All I did was lean back, close my eyes, and snooze while a bit of chipper personality with an encyclopedic knowledge of Windows 9x, trumpet winsock, and our dialing software talked people through the solution to their problem. Very weird, I’d have no memory of a shift at all after walking out the door.

I got fired for back talking the idiot supervisors they had, and overall it was for the best, it wasn’t until I’d lost the job that I realized I was getting stuck in that ‘mode’ when answering the phone at home and had to fix myself up.

I work an operations job now and I just sneakily fix peoples poo poo in the background and they dont even know it’s done until they get the ticket closure email. Probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but it saves me loads of time.
My GF (who I met at this job :v:) happened to come in and read this over my shoulder. She's like most people in this thread and only could do help desk for so long before the sheer crushing humanity nearly drove her insane and she went on to things that make her much happier. She at first tried to tell me I don't shift the way you were describing but I had to correct her with comments from friends who have noticed Work Mode when they have had the chance to see me have to stop and answer a call.

I also find it hilarious/easier/satisfying to quietly fix things and move on with with the day cause the praise is usually ...meh?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Renegret posted:

Do you have one of those mythical help desk jobs where the customers aren't complete poo poo? I know they exist. Just few and far between.
Only if providing monitoring on a network/data stream service counts as help desk. In theory you have no contact with the client except emails to tell them things went down/things got fixed and how.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Renegret posted:

You've obviously never met an American factory worker.

My stepdad did 30 years at Hydramatic in Ypsilanti. So many stories of gun fights in the parking lot. Dudes getting hammered in the car before clocking in, then finding a spot to sleep it off in the rafters. People just flat out not showing up because they would work with their buddies to clock each other in.

People think they can get away with crazy poo poo because they can.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LethalGeek posted:

It's brutal but the ability to know exactly what is plugged in where over that much network is making me dizzy with joy.
Oh indeed, I’ve seen what happens at the opposite extreme. I got sent out once to map the network for an industrial plant with new IT management who wanted to get a handle on what they were actually dealing with and I found things like rogue switches sitting in drop ceilings and early 90s network devices that were still drawing power and had an uplink but had probably had nothing plugged into them in 10+ years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

You've obviously never met an American factory worker.

My stepdad did 30 years at Hydramatic in Ypsilanti. So many stories of gun fights in the parking lot. Dudes getting hammered in the car before clocking in, then finding a spot to sleep it off in the rafters. People just flat out not showing up because they would work with their buddies to clock each other in.

People think they can get away with crazy poo poo because they can.

My step-dad worked at the GM plants in town. I'd come downstairs at 2am to see what the all the noise was in the kitchen and him and 4-5 of his buddies would be half into a case of beer.

"Shouldn't you guys be at...work?"

"We got too drunk so we left, we didn't want to get caught."

I also got recruited to sneak toolboxes out of the plant at night once I got big enough to help carry them into the back of a truck.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
These stories sound like a thread in their own right.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Entropic posted:

Oh indeed, I’ve seen what happens at the opposite extreme. I got sent out once to map the network for an industrial plant with new IT management who wanted to get a handle on what they were actually dealing with and I found things like rogue switches sitting in drop ceilings and early 90s network devices that were still drawing power and had an uplink but had probably had nothing plugged into them in 10+ years.

I've seen places where they had completely unpatched servers sitting on the network for years because someone spun up a virtual machine without documenting it and it just languished in the hypervisor unnoticed amount the other couple hundred servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Entropic posted:

A couple years ago we done a complete gut and remodel of the offices at our flagship store location. The corporate office used to be located in those offices. During the tear down multiple 10Mbit hubs were found still plugged into power outlets that had been installed above the drop ceiling specifically for them. And in some cases still had Ethernet cables plugged in and snaking off into areas unknown. A bunch of abandoned CAT3 cabling, and even found some old coax with coax Ethernet taps! Also some thinner coax that I think was possibly for Token Ring.