Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

As a cisheterosexual fujoshi I simply don't think I have the proper perspective to comment on this conversation, in retrospect, and apologize for overstepping my bounds as an ally

dis I'm going to beat you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

What's the gender bender manga where a guy wishes on a shrine to become a girl because he has a crush on his best friend and then later on he turns back and it just becomes a BL series.

I need it for a friend

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

everythingWasBees posted:

What's the gender bender manga where a guy wishes on a shrine to become a girl because he has a crush on his best friend and then later on he turns back and it just becomes a BL series.

I need it for a friend

Kami-sama no Ekohiiki

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i'm g a., the y

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

dis I'm going to beat you up

This is the first thing to make me smile all day :')

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
we need more fujoshi everywhere we can get

vvv wow dont get too crazy here

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 23, 2020

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'm a girl and I like girls.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Been sayin this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I won't give dis the satisfaction of beating them up

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

*pretending to get it* Rofl

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It's a movie that's very on topic for this thread, imo

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
But the gag here is him and another big metal guy are gonna have a big fight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

It's simply indicative of a culture gap where if everyone stopped saying it today no one would relate to each other any more than they do now. I'll still come say 'i saw the things that sucked rear end happen' whenever someone says they didn't but uh, that's it, no clue where I'm going with this

Imagining the mgs5 scene where skull face talks about language but hes entirely talking about 'queer' 'egg' and 'dyke'

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Now I'm imagining the Old Navajo Guy talking about the respective differences and how its been perceived over years

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

radfem skullface takes trans woman big boss on a jeep journey explaining how trans people are ruining gender and womynhood but doesn't realise he's actually talking to cis woman venom snake

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My metalqueers shall be the thread by which all countries are bound together, in equality

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

quote:

Pope Francis recently criticized modern views on gender identity, going so far as to compare the basis for transgender rights to nuclear weapons

metalqueer launches nukes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boss, you doxxed a child?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SNATCHER but metal gear is in trans pride colors

(that's the only MGS-related thing I have ever understood)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you understood snatcher?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

a gender to surpass metal queer

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Clowns also use eggs, don't they?

i thought clowns still used pies

fujoshi get some weird hate from online lefties sometimes but i never undestood it

i cant speak for other gays, but people who are into yaoi are at worst not any worse than people who are not, and are probably more likely to not hate me for who I am, even if they sometimes have some weird ideas about how gay people live and interact with each other

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

One of the north american clown museums keeps a record of clown facepaint patterns on eggs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

fujoshi get some weird hate from online lefties sometimes but i never undestood it

they have no interest in bl and no understanding of it so they just believe whatever the first thing theyre told is

you get the same thing with yuri

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

One of the north american clown museums keeps a record of clown facepaint patterns on eggs.

You would know..cuz you're the drat curator!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sharkopath posted:

oh true, i remember reading about something like that a few years ago

completely skipped my mind

Endorph posted:

they have no interest in bl and no understanding of it so they just believe whatever the first thing theyre told is

you get the same thing with yuri

yeah this checks out

RottenK fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 24, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RottenK posted:

i thought clowns still used pies

i cant speak for other gays, but people who are into yaoi are at worst not any worse than people who are not, and are probably more likely to not hate me for who I am, even if they sometimes have some weird ideas about how gay people live and interact with each other

I think it's the same thing as the term egg - the bad examples, when you have first hand experience of them being bad, tend to be the most memorable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what bad examples of fujoshi are you going to regularly run into on the internet these days

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well at this point you don't even need examples, people just get convinced they're Bad for woke reasons

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The online left argument basically takes place entirely between women/other none men urging the other side to "listen to gay men" who are always a monolith that agrees with the speaker, usually that yaoi is bad but occasionally that it's good. And the crux of the argument against it is that it's inherently fetishistic to create or read I guess. There's like a really strong core assumption here that's never examined or fully explained, even if I can see where the statement "yaoi fetishizes gay men" comes from. (Like, there's actual bad things about the content of media to criticize but people talk about it more like some kind of magic ritual to curse gay dudes with really shiny nipples)

Meanwhile if you actually listen to gay men you'll get a broad range of opinions from "big fan of jacking off to that" to "people who like anime are pedophiles who should be banned from somethingawful"

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I mean it falls under the same issues that fetishization of any minority/sexuality by a cishet person has problems.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I disagree that it's inherently or even largely fetishizing, rather than that fetishizing is bad.
What I mean by the magic ritual thing is there's never any explanation of how it is fetishizing or even what that term means in the context of conversation. As far as I can tell "consuming fiction about gay men" (e: if you're not a gay man. I've seen this pretty plainly laid out in twitter convos) is considered in itself fetishization. When people love gay western vns by women this of course goes right out the window but...

These conversations also always ignore both male creators and male readers ofc.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 24, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
That said this is all arguing on the internet and you'll drive yourself nuts reading it. Right nows one of the best times to be a legal consumer with online store fronts and there's a lot of more "real life" feeling stuff to read than there probably was ten years ago if this is a hangup for you (it was for me when I was getting into it) eg guys going to gay bars and stuff, and a depiction/discussion of there being a larger gay community rather than just like "waifish high schoolers stare significantly at each other"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This might just expose my ignorance but I feel like I see a lot less complaints about Fujoshis than from a couple of years ago. Nowadays most of the hate i see is from shonen fans who get really upset when the cool rival with tonnes of screentime tops popularity polls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This might just expose my ignorance but I feel like I see a lot less complaints about Fujoshis than from a couple of years ago. Nowadays most of the hate i see is from shonen fans who get really upset when the cool rival with tonnes of screentime tops popularity polls.
if you go on twitter you can see tons of 14 year olds saying fujos are bigots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the solution is to stop reading anything 14 year olds on twitter say

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

All I can say on the topic is that I've absolutely run into the Fujoshi that would like me to be their stereotypical gay best friend/accessory, which feels insulting and vaguely dehumanizing. It's enough to make me a little wary of people that use that moniker.

That being said, I also haven't had to deal with that in years so maybe its a dying stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They mostly died off alongside the yaoi paddle in my experience.