Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Zvahl posted:

nations of the world is a good song

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pIPYeaag-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

nonathlon posted:

The media is gaga over The Crown, with Twitter eager for the casting decisions, strange as they are:

* Prince Charles played by Dominic West, a man who looks nothing like Prince Charles
* Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher, looking like Gillian Anderson with a huge wig crammed on her head
* Someone as Princess Di, whose big 80s hair they have toned right, right down

Matt Smith as Prince Phillip I can absolutely buy, because he looks pale, awkward and vaguely inbred

I read once that the Crown is basically the one Netflix show that's super popular with boomers and older generations, while all the other big Netflix shows are driven by appealing to millennials and millennial-adjacent viewers. So naturally the media loving adores the Crown and reports on it constantly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol it still misses a bunch too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1318992516096602113?s=19

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

If only he would method act his rear end into a vat of industrial waste.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Trabisnikof posted:

lol it still misses a bunch too

Seriously, how the gently caress did they miss loving ‘NAM?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wow has it been a whole six months since some version or another of the joker dominates pop culture for six months?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

oh hell yes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Epic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope Warner Brothers spends half a billion dollars re-editing an existing movie.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Wow has it been a whole six months since some version or another of the joker dominates pop culture for six months?

one day someone will reveal how the Joker movies fits into the plan of The Powell Manifesto 2.0

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's extremely funny how the snyder cut became real solely because theaters are dead now so all of a sudden it's a lot less important that greenlit projects have big box office numbers

Why it's almost as if hollywood has been deliberately misleading us about the relative importance of box office numbers this entire time solely so they could justify unpopular production and distribution decisions

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I like how Leto's Joker is completely insufferable.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

rofl

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

leto joker's back, baby. he's good again.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

leto joker's back, baby. he's good again.

Was never good to begin with, infinity Pinnochios.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

His performance is, with certainty, the most real to life interpretation of the character

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

His performance is, with certainty, the most real to life interpretation of the character

Not buying it til he cuts off his own face.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

I hope leto joker is the one they put in space jam 2

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's funny because none of the these groups actually live up to their ideals and the most compelling episodes about them deal with how their smug assumed superiority comes into conflict with the way their cultures actually operate

I mean hell the dominion is basically a super group consisting of four min maxed specialty races that have the same core beliefs as their alpha quadrant equivalents but execute on them far more consistently

crazily enough this makes them more evil not less evil

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fluoride Jones posted:

I hope leto joker is the one they put in space jam 2
I literally can't even-- where the gently caress do I start.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why would the joker be in space jam 2? Did he steal the nba's mojo????

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

According to wiki apparently space jam two involves traveling between other movies in the warner brothers backlog

I don't think they really understand the appeal of space jam if they think they can improve on it by just adding more gratuitous crossovers

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ :stonklol: I get it, you all are loving with me. Ha, nice one, fellas. :stonklol:

Stairmaster posted:

Why would the joker be in space jam 2? Did he steal the nba's mojo????

Multiplied by "THEY'RE MAKING A SPACE JAM 2!? :allbuttons:"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's funny because none of the these groups actually live up to their ideals and the most compelling episodes about them deal with how their smug assumed superiority comes into conflict with the way their cultures actually operate

I mean hell the dominion is basically a super group consisting of four min maxed specialty races that have the same core beliefs as their alpha quadrant equivalents but execute on them far more consistently

crazily enough this makes them more evil not less evil

the extra funny part is that they're all just humans

that the libertarians have their ideology embodied in something that skates a little close to just being a jew figure in places is pretty on point as a critique of both libertarianism and anti-semitism. the founders have some of that going on as well, like being shapeshifters who send their children out as a diaspora to learn about other peoples, touches on the same thing. living in a homeland small enough to destroy with a single wmd attack as well.

i used to say things like "i doubt the writers, producers, etc, were consciously using elements of antisemetic tropes" but tbh they were likely mixed between high fiving about the jews being the founders and carefully attempting to respectfully and insightfully comment on those themes in a respectful way and the only ones who got to be blissfully oblivious here were us as we enjoyed odo play straight man to quark

(who are the palestinians? the ma'quis and also the bajorans. look the whole point is here is that they get to talk about these things at some distance from the real thing and also mix up some of the details, and "peace in the middle east" was a big deal in the 90s. so you get more that one faction that touches on this or that aspect of a theme which connects to the real world).

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Oct 23, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Founders have way more Middle Eastern coding with their outfits and aesthetics, complete with fanatical slave-soldiers and smarmy diplomats/middle managers.

The Vulcans are also Jewish.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think they really understand the appeal of space jam if they think they can improve on it by just adding more gratuitous crossovers
I don't think anyone understand the appeal of Space Jam.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Sisko did nothing wrong, maquis deserved it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The appeal of Space Jam was "Whoo! It's 1996 and life in America is not too bad if you're white and can afford to do stuff!" This is based on a retrospective of life as a 10-year-old.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Fight Club is a trip to watch now, the whole "we're all lost men who have life so easy" is a real look back at another time.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Tubgoat posted:

He really is perfect for the joker

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah, I suppose Heath Ledger was entirely too human, I assume the same of Joaquin Phoenix despite not having seen that one.

I think it's more the fact that Leto's Joker looks like he's the frontman of a lovely 2001 horrorcore Linkin Park knockoff, maybe a little more than Leto being awful.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

The appeal of Space Jam was "Whoo! It's 1996 and life in America is not too bad if you're white and can afford to do stuff!" This is based on a retrospective of life as a 10-year-old.

Uh no, actually its seeing mike and bugs bunny make faces at each other for 90 minutes

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Uh no, actually its seeing mike and bugs bunny make faces at each other for 90 minutes
Even as a much younger child, this was not appealing to me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

starkebn posted:

Fight Club is a trip to watch now, the whole "we're all lost men who have life so easy" is a real look back at another time.

Weirdlu emough i actually think the movie has some relevance. While the conditions of being a bored white guy with an unfufilling but well paying job are outdated, tylers mokies are basically proto-proud boys and from that perspective you can glean some insight

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Even as a much younger child, this was not appealing to me.

To each thier own...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah, I suppose Heath Ledger was entirely too human, I assume the same of Joaquin Phoenix despite not having seen that one.

I think it's more the fact that Leto's Joker looks like he's the frontman of a lovely 2001 horrorcore Linkin Park knockoff, maybe a little more than Leto being awful.

Leto's Joker wasn't so much bad (because you barely saw him) as really forced. It's like the media wanted to recreate this idea of Heath Ledger's Joker being too-real, too-method so they kept circulating stories about how dark and twisted Jared Leto was becoming even off-camera, and then you find out his "pranks" were poo poo like leaving condoms on the door handles of his co-stars's trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/billboard/status/1319579396450209795