Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

No Wave posted:

Making Boone the first companion most players see was an odd choice. I didn't even understand what was going on when the legion started aggroing me as I was looking for the boat to ride.

There were two great things on release I remember:

1) A problem with the Steam servers (or something similar) where the game wouldn't save past goodsprings. The Iron-mannest of Ironmans.

2) Boone's original aggro range being appx. 10,000 square miles. Because holy poo poo, I don't think I fired a single round between Novac and Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Boone is not a follower, he leads the crusade against Cesar and it falls to you to support him in every way possible.
:patriot:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1319353996339888130?s=21

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Does Boone inherently auto-aggro Legionnaires, or is it technically because of his default NCR First Recon hat?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

There's dialogue where he explicitly says he will shoot legion on sight, so probably just a him thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Eason the Fifth posted:

There were two great things on release I remember:

1) A problem with the Steam servers (or something similar) where the game wouldn't save past goodsprings. The Iron-mannest of Ironmans.

2) Boone's original aggro range being appx. 10,000 square miles. Because holy poo poo, I don't think I fired a single round between Novac and Vegas

Don't forget the First Recon Beret crit bonus stacking every time he equipped it up to a 115% chance. :69snypa:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My first playthrough, once I got the Mark of Caesar I dismissed Boone and actually tried to run with doing stuff for Caesar for a while.... but the assassin squads kept coming anyway :shrug: Whatever dude, if you want so badly to die then Boone and I will make your dreams come true.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I enjoy punching Legion so much that I made a mod so you could live up to Ranger Stella's example, so Boone generally made a good companion. He'd take shots from a distance, while I took them down up close.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Hell yeah, I'm stoked for this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

It was always hilarious when he’d start shooting and before you could even figure out where the enemies were the killcam on the last one would pop.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Garrand posted:

There's dialogue where he explicitly says he will shoot legion on sight, so probably just a him thing.

That's not a problem, that's a solution.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was always hilarious when he’d start shooting and before you could even figure out where the enemies were the killcam on the last one would pop.

Even better when you didn't even know you were in a fight: you'd just be walking along and then you'd randomly get a killcam of some Fiend's head exploding.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Taking Boone as a companion was the original Story Difficulty mode.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Boone is the best companion. He's got the strongest story of any of the core squad and has actually decent endings. Cass is close but is hurt by her story quest being weak. Arcade and Veronica always felt like they were supposed to be making some kind of point rather than just being a person who exists in the world.

Also, as someone who actually played Fallout 2, the proper ending to Arcade's quest involves gathering everyone in the bunker and then incinerating them with plasma fire.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna come out and say I don't like any of the companions in new vegas. Boones got a semi interesting story but he trivializes the gameplay and has bad voice acting. Veronica is barely a person, has godawful voice acting, and is tied to some of the most pain in the rear end quests in the game. Raul sort of has an interesting story but his quest is nothing and Danny Trejo was clearly just looking to cash a check. The previous post didn't even mention Lily because she's so drat forgettable. Arcade has a stupid name, although I always use him on legion runs cause his legion ending is pretty interesting. Ed-e and rex are good.
Cass annoys me that you have to double back for her, they should've really just let you speech check the ranger there to get her released.

I kind of wish I'd have been able to take follows chalk to Vegas that might've been a fun companion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd rather listen to a thousand NCR troopers wishing for a nuclear winter than deal with any if the voice work from Fallout 3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It would have been awesome if you could resolve Hanlon's quest by persuading him to retire from his post and join you in either directly sabotaging the NCR or in glorious death seeking by trying to take as many Legionnaires as possible with him.

e: or, "[Speech 100] Since you're so into sabotage, why not try it on the Legion instead?"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm gonna come out and say I don't like any of the companions in new vegas. Boones got a semi interesting story but he trivializes the gameplay and has bad voice acting. Veronica is barely a person, has godawful voice acting, and is tied to some of the most pain in the rear end quests in the game. Raul sort of has an interesting story but his quest is nothing and Danny Trejo was clearly just looking to cash a check. The previous post didn't even mention Lily because she's so drat forgettable. Arcade has a stupid name, although I always use him on legion runs cause his legion ending is pretty interesting. Ed-e and rex are good.
Cass annoys me that you have to double back for her, they should've really just let you speech check the ranger there to get her released.

I kind of wish I'd have been able to take follows chalk to Vegas that might've been a fun companion.

replaying FNV this week id say my only real thing is (ten years later) companions are just kind of mum for the most part outside quest triggers. i think cass has the most ambient dialogue when just running around. not really a knock just something i only really realized in this run where ive been running around with the radio off unlike usually

that said only really find lily and rex to be boring but thats kind of to be expected

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It would have been awesome if you could resolve Hanlon's quest by persuading him to retire from his post and join you in either directly sabotaging the NCR or in glorious death seeking by trying to take as many Legionnaires as possible with him.

e: or, "[Speech 100] Since you're so into sabotage, why not try it on the Legion instead?"
TBF his penance should you decide not to turn him in is to be on the front lines when Caesar goes after the dam.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

replaying FNV this week id say my only real thing is (ten years later) companions are just kind of mum for the most part outside quest triggers. i think cass has the most ambient dialogue when just running around. not really a knock just something i only really realized in this run where ive been running around with the radio off unlike usually

that said only really find lily and rex to be boring but thats kind of to be expected

Arcade has a fair few ambient barks the first time you stroll into different faction territories.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd rather listen to a thousand NCR troopers wishing for a nuclear winter than deal with any if the voice work from Fallout 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytFKoygdrE

But seriously, it seems like it took Skyrim for them to put money into VAs who aren't big stars.

Although there were a few FO3 NPCs I adore and could listen to forever, like Bittercup.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Counterpoint. The DLC companions are outstanding. Joshua Graham is so loving well done that he makes up for any companions in the base game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Only about half of em are good. Does anyone here even remember the name of the tribal lady you get paired with in honest hearts. And why can you not tell Christine that her girlfriend is alive and chilling in the mojave.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Waking Cloud.
That ratfucker Daniel doesn't tell her that her husband is dead like he's doing the right thing about it treating her like an idiot.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uytFKoygdrE

But seriously, it seems like it took Skyrim for them to put money into VAs who aren't big stars.

Although there were a few FO3 NPCs I adore and could listen to forever, like Bittercup.

i cant really recall the VAs in 3 being that bad really

like of its faults VAs dont really jump to mind at all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Liam Neeson and the guy playing president eden did a good job. Fallout 3 didn't have amazing voice work but it didn't really have anything as awful as benny, or veronica

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

One of my favorite voices in Fallout 3 is Dr. Lesko who sounds like one of the most stereotypical poindexter nerd characters ever.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 23, 2020

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If I close my eyes, I can still hear all those drat kids.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1319369218366689280?s=20

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

It's not terrible, it's just amateurish. It's the exact same couple voices you hear in Oblivion.

NV hired not only pretty big names for important characters, they got real voice-actors like Liam O'Brien and Yuri Lowenthal for everybody else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some of the voices in Point Lookout sounded like fan mods. I don't blame the VAs for shoddy work when I know they can do good performances; a lot of it comes down to the VO director getting the best out of their actors.

Of course VO directors can also have their hands tied when their actors have to sign NDAs to avoid leaking details to the public which in turn leaves them without context for what the hell they're supposed to be talking about.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some of the voices in Point Lookout sounded like fan mods. I don't blame the VAs for shoddy work when I know they can do good performances; a lot of it comes down to the VO director getting the best out of their actors.
I thought Desmond was fine. Though him pronouncing Maryland the way he did made my organs shrivel.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not terrible, it's just amateurish. It's the exact same couple voices you hear in Oblivion.

NV hired not only pretty big names for important characters, they got real voice-actors like Liam O'Brien and Yuri Lowenthal for everybody else.

HAHA, SMELL THAT AIR, COULDN'T YOU JUST DRINK IT LIKE BOOOZZE???

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The big name voice actors they got were pretty fucjing awful though. House was good. But cesser was dissapointing, and veronica, raul, and benny were terrible

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Michael Dorn deserves to be mentioned among the good ones too. And lots of somewhat minor characters were good, Fantastic and Vulpes come to mind.

Obsidian used their VO budget way better than Bethesda for sure, having a bunch of professional but not extremely famous names throughout. Beth have just kept doing the same thing where they get one or two big names who sleepwalk through their VO sessions and all the other voices in the game are pretty uniformly mediocre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But then you get to the DLCs where, apart from tribals who sound stoned (or White Bird, who is stoned), every VA is fantastic.

In the base game most of the career VAs do solid work, like Liam O'Brien, Gregory Allan Williams and Yuri Lowenthal. The bigger names voices are hit and miss.

Good ones include:
Michael Dorn as Marcus
Will Wheaton as some of the Mr Handys
Rene Auberjounois as House
Ron Perlman as Ron the Narrator
Michael Hogan as Doc Mitchell
Zachary Levi as Arcade
Wayne Newton as himself/Mr. New Vegas
Bill Sadler as Victor
Dave Foley as Yes Man

While mediocre ones are:
Kris Kristofferson as Hanlon
Matthew Perry as Benny
John Doman as Caesar.

I actually think Felicia Day and Danny Trejo do a fine job with what they're given. I just find Veronica better when she drops the goofy attitude.

Its pretty clear that some of the actors in the game are not used to voice acting. Its not really their fault, its not their field of work. But Vegas does have a very large collection of established Voice Actors from across the industry and with a few exceptions they all do a drat good job.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can't accept that someone can genuinely think Kris Kristofferson's performance was mediocre. I just can't.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hanlon is my favourite VA in New Vegas by a wide margin. Veronica and Yes Man are great, too.

I just played through the game with a walkthrough to see each companion's story. I'm guessing the developers intended players to stick with one companion for the whole game, because triggering most of their storylines requires very specific events to happen. Gaining Boone's trust is almost impossible because you have to find characters who give you Legion-killing quests and then complete those quests, rather than simply hunting Legion soldiers on your own initiative. Raul's quest is bugged and can't be completed if you did Ranger Andy's sidequest first, and that's one of the first in the game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Berke Negri posted:

The guy who voices the Imperial Legion soldiers in Oblivion delivers some absolutely horrific lines in FO3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

No Mission Mojave?