Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I think it was more they wanted to immortalize him in Jaime’s style. I love that Elton cartoon.

Yeah I think this is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nanigans posted:

I think it was more they wanted to immortalize him in Jaime’s style. I love that Elton cartoon.

Cartoon Elton looks more like Elton John than Elton John does.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Aging is a bitch

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm something of a casual Gorillaz fan, and I just want say I love the tracks they've been releasing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s out this fridaaaaaa—

gently caress :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh well I can still fuckin listen to it on Friday through other means :toot:

People are getting theirs early and leaks are out there and the gorillaz subreddit are all talking about the 9 unheard tracks and they all sound amazing 💦

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
All the unheard songs rule except for Chalk Tablet Towers, which is still a good song but completely wastes St Vincent and kinda muddles up its own mix in pursuit of an anthemic pop moment which completely falls flat.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quick heads up: I ordered the Annual and got a Song Machine CD (in a cardboard sleeve) as compensation for the delayed delivery. It's cool and good.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think all of the preorders came with the album

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
has anyone gotten the almanac yet
edit: nvm thats what the annual is. guess i should keep my eyes peeled.....

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My almanac hasn't even shipped yet. Same for Amazon with the deluxe edition, but I bet Amazon will ship it later tonight and I'll get it tomorrow.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My alamanac hasn't shipped either but my deluxe vinyl for song machine has :getin:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i got my gorillaz facemask and noodle t shirt but i really want the almanac.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dead Butterflies is really nice, and could probably do well as a single (and I can't remember the last time I said that about a Gorillaz track).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This album is loving incredible. I get the feeling it's kinda what Damon was going for with Humanz but maybe he wasn't quite in the right headspace for it at the time (and I say that as someone who really likes Humanz)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s super good, although I only got to listen while walking to work so far, I really want to chill out in a dark room with noise cancelling headphones and soak it all in

I still don’t like Friday the 13th much but it’s fine in the flow of the album

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The back third is really Albarn light.

I've only listened to the new tracks in isolation so far. When I get a chance I'll listen to the whole thing through and see how it flows. I like it so far but I feel like the real standout tracks were the early ones.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 23, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

stev posted:

The back third is really Albarn light.

ah, so the opposite of humanz

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm in the deluxe tracks now and I've been loving this album

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This album is loving incredible. I get the feeling it's kinda what Damon was going for with Humanz but maybe he wasn't quite in the right headspace for it at the time (and I say that as someone who really likes Humanz)

This is my take as well. I'm only one listen in, but I'm really digging it. I'm also loving the fact that we've gotten three Gorillaz albums in as many years.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

..................................It seems good.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I feel like this is just Damon making a Gorillaz album as usual, but disconnected from the high concept headiness that grounded Plastic Beach and Humanz. This album is similar to those albums in that it has a ton of guests, but unlike those it doesn't stick to any cohesive setting or narrative and never tries to be anything more than a collection of fun songs. I think this approach both helps and hurts the record, but it's undeniable that these are some of the strongest songs in Gorillaz' discography

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hughesta posted:

I feel like this is just Damon making a Gorillaz album as usual, but disconnected from the high concept headiness that grounded Plastic Beach and Humanz. This album is similar to those albums in that it has a ton of guests, but unlike those it doesn't stick to any cohesive setting or narrative and never tries to be anything more than a collection of fun songs. I think this approach both helps and hurts the record, but it's undeniable that these are some of the strongest songs in Gorillaz' discography

Yeah, I guess what I mean is that Humanz was a very deliberate "everything loving sucks right now, I'm going to force myself to have fun with a bunch of musicians I like and we're going to make upbeat songs" and Song Machine is that but without the strain of "this needs to be positive/cohesive" it just kinda happens to be Damon having fun with a bunch of people he admires and making good music in the process.

I do wonder if lacking the huge story overtones is gonna hurt reception to this but at the same time, this feels the most like the first album in spirit, if not musically (although MLS is definitely a phase 1 throwback)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Yeah, I guess what I mean is that Humanz was a very deliberate "everything loving sucks right now, I'm going to force myself to have fun with a bunch of musicians I like and we're going to make upbeat songs" and Song Machine is that but without the strain of "this needs to be positive/cohesive" it just kinda happens to be Damon having fun with a bunch of people he admires and making good music in the process.

I do wonder if lacking the huge story overtones is gonna hurt reception to this but at the same time, this feels the most like the first album in spirit, if not musically (although MLS is definitely a phase 1 throwback)

well, i dont really think very many of the songs on humanz are upbeat, but i see where youre coming from

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

well, i dont really think very many of the songs on humanz are upbeat, but i see where youre coming from

momentz is pretty upbeat if you ignore the ending to it lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

momentz is pretty upbeat if you ignore the ending to it lol

we got the power is very upbeat but is immediately followed by the bonus tracks which are the bleakest downbeat songs on the album

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

First impressions of this new album which has onje of the worst titles Ive ever heard: Seems pretty messy but this is the best collection of Gorillaz songs since Demon Days.. MLS is my favorite of the new stuff. How Far? is not a good closer. Im gonna listen to it a few more times to see if it starts making sense as an album but folks the songs are good.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think How Far is a good closer, but the obvious ending to this collection is Opium and it boggles my mind that they didn't use it

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got an email that said the Almanac is shipping at the end of November

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really like the Beck song but I feel like "With Love to an Ex" is up there in terms of the new tracks

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
ok peggy and chai did that. HARD

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Asema posted:

Just got an email that said the Almanac is shipping at the end of November

Yup, same. Very professional of them to wait until the album already came out.

On that note, Amazon isn't sending me the album until Tuesday for some weird reason. First time they've missed a release date for me.

We should really request a title change for this topic...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah can we change the thread title to The Gorillas - Blur’s Damian Albran has a new side project?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah can we change the thread title to The Gorillas - Blur’s Damian Albran has a new side project?

I would take another "Everyday Robots"
That was my most played album of 14 and 15 probably

Goddamn, Damon is a versatile producer

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now that we've had this I'd take a new Blur album with an actual tour over more Gorillaz next year (although I'll definitely try to get tickets to the London Song Machine show assuming gigs are allowed again by August).

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

stev posted:

Now that we've had this I'd take a new Blur album with an actual tour over more Gorillaz next year (although I'll definitely try to get tickets to the London Song Machine show assuming gigs are allowed again by August).
season 2 is happening next year + Alex is super pro Brexit so I doubt Damon is either able or willing to jump into making a new Blur record anytime soon

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Strange Timez and Aries are the best songs on the album :colbert:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Wanna meet for lunch?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Aries and Desole are still my top 2 probably

But I’m blown away by Valley of the Pagans, The Lost Chords, and Opium

Wa wa wee wow!

Adbot