Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Turns out Kino Lorber is releasing a 4K UHD Mad Max. There is also a standard blu-ray.

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/7396

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Turns out Kino Lorber is releasing a 4K UHD Mad Max. There is also a standard blu-ray.

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/7396

Shout lost a lot of MGM titles this summer so expect a lot of double dips. Kino are also doing The Producers soon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout lost a lot of MGM titles this summer so expect a lot of double dips. Kino are also doing The Producers soon.

I'm fine with discontinued Shout titles ending up at KL.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tim Whatley posted:

My discs appear to be fine but here's the set lol, christ

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=272680&position=1

Doesn’t seem like you’re the only one!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Can I just say how hilarious the Friday the 13th logo exploding is to reveal 'Part 2'? Because it is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Can I just say how hilarious the Friday the 13th logo exploding is to reveal 'Part 2'? Because it is.

Wait till you see the opening credits of part 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I used to scoff and turn my nose up at the F13th series but we’ve been watching them for Spooptober and they’re all a goddamn blast. They’re so loving goofy but they know exactly what they are and never try to be anything else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even numbered F13th movie supremacy for sure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Blood is great though.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s certainly better than Jason Takes A Boat To Manhattan

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I used to scoff and turn my nose up at the F13th series but we’ve been watching them for Spooptober and they’re all a goddamn blast. They’re so loving goofy but they know exactly what they are and never try to be anything else.

Yeah this year I think I've finally "gotten" the appeal. It's like the Godzilla movies, you're not watching them to be scared (though they occasionally do land a good shock), you're watching them for the monster, and hopefully the filmmakers find something interesting to find the time between his appearances.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

It’s certainly better than Jason Takes A Boat To Manhattan

Jason Takes A Boat To Vancouver Manhattan is the best one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The decline into self-parody was extremely bad for Nightmare on Elm Street, but I feel like it helps Friday the 13th.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The decline into self-parody was extremely bad for Nightmare on Elm Street, but I feel like it helps Friday the 13th.

Very much same. The weirder and goofier the Friday the 13th movies get, the more I love them.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They make the incredibly smart move of the humor coming from the campers and keeping Jason exactly the same. Upon my rewatch, New Blood used to be my favorite, but it's definitely now 4, followed by 6.

Jason Goes to Hell is the Halloween III: Season of the Witch of Friday the 13th films and I hope time is kinder to it soon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

January Arrow releases. I might be interested in [REC] and the Gamera sets.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Thank God Southland Tales is finally getting the special edition it deserves

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm seeing some positive reviews for the Back to the Future UHDs. Predictably 3 is the one that apparently is the standout, because of the old west setting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
and because its the good one :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

and because its the good one :colbert:

I don't really have a preference, I think they're all great. It's one of, if not the best trilogy ever made.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I loved Freddy's Dead, but I was like 12 when I watched so maybe I was just at that age where I could forgive its stupidness. I loved Little Monsters when I was a kid, too.

It was my least favorite, but probably the one I watched the most. My favorite is still Dream Warriors.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'd be in on REC from Arrow if there was Region A. I'll be in on Oldboy tho since I think all 4K discs are region free. That's a sick steelbook.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

I'd be in on REC from Arrow if there was Region A. I'll be in on Oldboy tho since I think all 4K discs are region free. That's a sick steelbook.

Yeah UHDs are all region free.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Tim Whatley posted:

Shout has a collection of all 4 REC films.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Not feeling the Steelbook but absolutely about a 4K Oldboy. I haven’t seen it since DVD, so I’d love to rewatch it with that kind of Jump.

I’ll probably bite on Southland Tales because of its reputation and I’m such a Donnie Darko fanboy.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's actually amazing to think how many friday the 13th and elm street sequels there are. It could not have happened without multiplexes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wait till you see the opening credits of part 3.

Wait until you HEAR the opening credits to part 3!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anyone have any suggestions for converting PAL VHS in the US?

Apparently quite a few trashy b-movies ended up overseas and not here.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

PeterCat posted:

If you have a source to play them, you just need an analog to digital converter. Depends on how the source outputs it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oh dang, totally in for a 4K Oldboy. That's gunna be sweet.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
God do I hate this cardboard book packaging for the Hitchcock 4k set. Is my best option for not screwing these discs up within a year just buying a couple 4-disc elite cases and printing some artwork, or is there something approximately the same size I can toss in the slipcover?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Space_Butler posted:

God do I hate this cardboard book packaging for the Hitchcock 4k set. Is my best option for not screwing these discs up within a year just buying a couple 4-disc elite cases and printing some artwork, or is there something approximately the same size I can toss in the slipcover?

I don't think cardboard can scratch 4Ks.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

I don't think cardboard can scratch 4Ks.
I thought I had read that 4K's lack the scratchproof coating that Blu-rays had, but that would be very welcome to find out it's not the case. Honestly though it's less the cardboard and more me trying to grab onto the discs that I'm worried about, these things are tight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know the technical details but I've always felt like UHDs are somewhere in between DVD and blu ray as far as scratchability. It can happen, but it's not like DVDs where they were basically guaranteed to be scratched after a few years of use. I worked at a Blockbuster during the DVD years and we'd get like a hundred copies of a big new release. A few weeks later like half of them would be unplayable.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Space_Butler posted:

I thought I had read that 4K's lack the scratchproof coating that Blu-rays had, but that would be very welcome to find out it's not the case. Honestly though it's less the cardboard and more me trying to grab onto the discs that I'm worried about, these things are tight.

It looks like the coating is the same but data density means a smaller scratch has a bigger effect. :science:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm probably out of luck, but I figure this is as good as place as any to ask this question. This summer I bought the blu-ray for the Japanese movie Swallowtail Butterfly. I own the DVD which has English subtitles, and the blu-ray appears to have no new features, so I just assumed that the blu-ray would have English subtitles too. I got the movie, put it in, and no English subtitles. It would be one thing if my Japanese was as good as it was even a decade ago, but the movie is 1/3 in Chinese, which I've never spoken.

I could just keep watching the DVD, but I don't have a region free DVD player anymore. I stuck it in my PS4 which is my only blu-ray player, and they gave me the warning about only being able to change my region a few times before I'm locked out from doing it anymore.

Is there a way to download subtitles for the movie, and watch the blu-ray using the subtitles on my PS4? Or is watching it on my PC the more likely option?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

PeterCat posted:

You'd need a PAL or PAL/NTSC VCR. I just looked on ebay and apparently they're outlandishly expensive. My friend has one that plays both and transfers lots of movies to digital with it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CPL593H posted:

You'd need a PAL or PAL/NTSC VCR. I just looked on ebay and apparently they're outlandishly expensive. My friend has one that plays both and transfers lots of movies to digital with it.

Hmm. I'll look on E-bay UK.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You’ll need a step up transformer if you import a purely PAL VCR into the US. Also drat that’s gonna be expensive shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You’ll need a step up transformer if you import a purely PAL VCR into the US. Also drat that’s gonna be expensive shipping.

I've dealt with 110 vs 220 many times. There is a company in the US that does conversions at $15 a tape, which might be better for the numbers I'm looking at. More research is required.