Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

squid flips out if your system has an ipv6 address but no actual ipv6 networking, because it defaults to using ipv6 if it detects it's there.

So that resulted in a nice spree of using sysctl to disable ipv6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

mllaneza posted:

Can you send that to my Global Networking group ? Sometimes we do have to turn off IPv6 on a device because something is screwy somewhere.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/configure-ipv6-in-windows

It’s pretty basic ‘this is a very important service etc’ but coming from Microsoft directly as a best practice is usually enough to convince some people.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

squid flips out if your system has an ipv6 address but no actual ipv6 networking, because it defaults to using ipv6 if it detects it's there.

So that resulted in a nice spree of using sysctl to disable ipv6.

An annoying number of programs do this, and I swear it has to be one of the reasons it's not going anywhere, because in so many cases disabling IPv6 is the easiest way to solve a problem with a lovely app.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The easiest way to solve this problem is to deploy native IPv6 to everyone

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

An annoying number of programs do this, and I swear it has to be one of the reasons it's not going anywhere, because in so many cases disabling IPv6 is the easiest way to solve a problem with a lovely app.

Yeah, we disable IPv6 for this reason. Lots of garbage apps out there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Knot My President! posted:

My best friend told me that I am good at passing good interviews and being good at my job, but I need to develop my skills required for passing absolutely lovely interviews. He's definitely right, but I can't imagine the hell of biting my tongue knowing I'd have to work with the person asking me my favorite color and actively judging me on it. Like just measure my skull and tell me why my Irish people need not apply dude

EDIT* Pretend this is a quote from Blazing Saddles about not wanting the Irish.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 22, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dude

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, prairie poo poo! Everybody!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Knot My President! posted:

My best friend told me that I am good at passing good interviews and being good at my job, but I need to develop my skills required for passing absolutely lovely interviews. He's definitely right, but I can't imagine the hell of biting my tongue knowing I'd have to work with the person asking me my favorite color and actively judging me on it. Like just measure my skull and tell me why my Irish people need not apply dude

Counterpoint: You don’t and you are already self-selecting for better employers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Ah, prairie poo poo! Everybody!

It was completely unnecessary

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wtf

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Are we not allowed to quote Blazing Saddles anymore?
The movie that explicitly makes fun of racism by showing how absurd it is? :psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah don’t do that

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

The movie that explicitly makes fun of racism by showing how absurd it is? :psyduck:

All jokes are banned

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ratbert90 posted:

blazing saddles takes a lot of time to very carefully set up the setting and surrounding context for eventually creating absurdist comedy on the issue of race.

something that you are neither funny enough to pull off or have the space to do in one post

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Producers doesn't open with a blown up Nazi flag behind a speaker who drops one line about Jewish people before just cutting to black

there's a reason that Mel Brooks is good at this, and there is a reason that he used feature film length projects to do it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

The Producers doesn't open with a blown up Nazi flag behind a speaker who drops one line about Jewish people before just cutting to black

there's a reason that Mel Brooks is good at this, and there is a reason that he used feature film length projects to do it

Yeah no poo poo. I was quoting the movie instead of trying to create a new movie.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean God drat, if you want to see a text format example of somebody taking care to comment on exactly the issue here, racism and Irish people, read A Modest Proposal

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What in the wide wide world of sports is going on here??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

What in the wide wide world of sports is going on here??

I quoted blazing saddles in jest and people are very upset.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

We're having a learning experience!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I saw Blazing Saddles when it came out and was too young to laugh at pretty much anything but the farting scene.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I quoted blazing saddles in jest and people are very upset.

Maybe just accept at the quote was inappropriate to instead of doubling down

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw Blazing Saddles when it came out and was too young to laugh at pretty much anything but the farting scene.

How could you not laugh at Mongo knocking out a horse with a single punch???

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sixth and maimed posted:

Apparently I have to give a presentation, do a case-study and have an interview. Totally agree on the personality tests and the like. "Which identifies you the most? Which the least? Pick one: leader - follower - shy - dead". It depends on the situation, stop asking me these dumb questions (unfortunately not an option).

I've heard back from the assessment center. I have to do the following:
- Take a number of online tests for personality, analytical thinking, etc. Estimated at about 2.5 hours.
- Conduct a online interview and presentation based on a case-study they've provided. I need to be prepared for this. Estimated at about 4.5 hours without the preparation
- fill out a document with my strengths and weaknesses on character traits they deem essential for the job, with examples (like critical thinking, develop a vision, etc.). Estimated effort a couple of hours

Given it's the final round before they make me an offer I'll dot but dammit, this kind of effort for a 'maybe' pisses me off a bit (I also have to take a day off to do the assessment).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sixth and maimed posted:

- Take a number of online tests for personality, analytical thinking, etc. Estimated at about 2.5 hours.
- Conduct a online interview and presentation based on a case-study they've provided. I need to be prepared for this. Estimated at about 4.5 hours without the preparation
- fill out a document with my strengths and weaknesses on character traits they deem essential for the job, with examples (like critical thinking, develop a vision, etc.). Estimated effort a couple of hours

Given it's the final round before they make me an offer I'll dot but dammit, this kind of effort for a 'maybe' pisses me off a bit (I also have to take a day off to do the assessment).

This had better be a drat good job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
2.5 hours of online tests? :stare:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sixth and maimed posted:

Are they going to pay you for an entire day of work?

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Are they going to pay you for an entire day of work?

No, they won't. The offer better be worth it, dammit! It's a completely new position in their organization, so I understand they want to make sure it's a good fit but still ...

Jaded Burnout posted:

This had better be a drat good job.

It is, imo. Their organization has grown a lot in the last couple of years and their IT/processes have lagged behind. They want someone to make a roadmap for their IT and help choose/implement a new ERP, KPI's, etc. There's no support involved, though. Reporting directly to the CEO. Short commute.

More importantly, I get treated like a pariah at my current job for helping implement MS Dynamics (replacing our 30-year-old in-house customized ERP) and telling people that the problems they have are because they refuse to follow the proper procedures (like doing goods receipts instead of just incrementing the stock).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sixth and maimed posted:

More importantly, I get treated like a pariah at my current job for helping implement MS Dynamics (replacing our 30-year-old in-house customized ERP) and telling people that the problems they have are because they refuse to follow the proper procedures (like doing goods receipts instead of just incrementing the stock).
I'd do another ERP implementation if I got paid enough.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS COMPUTER SYSTEM WONT LET ME FORGE ALL MY poo poo

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp I figured it was going to happen, and it has.

Spectrum already loving up our new location installation.

My order has disappeared twice now and they have apparently done 2 site surveys and they contradict each other. (one said the site is serviceable within their installation cost guidelines, the second one says we will need to pay a few $k for install!). The new location is surrounded by businesses with Spectrum service already....

I give up dealing with these fuckwads. I just want to give a company money in exchange for services. How goddamn hard does this have to be?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Welp I figured it was going to happen, and it has.

Spectrum already loving up our new location installation.

My order has disappeared twice now and they have apparently done 2 site surveys and they contradict each other. (one said the site is serviceable within their installation cost guidelines, the second one says we will need to pay a few $k for install!). The new location is surrounded by businesses with Spectrum service already....

I give up dealing with these fuckwads. I just want to give a company money in exchange for services. How goddamn hard does this have to be?!

If you have to deal with a company like that, put someone on their end on the hook for these fuckups. Nothing malicious or abusive to their staff, but call around their system until they put you with a direct reporter/case manager of some kind, and don't go away until you have their direct phone number. Every time Spectrum fucks up, you now call them directly with your order number. Be firm, be professional, and be sure to insinuate you'll be calling again if their company fucks up again once you have them promising to follow up on their end (A followup email in writing from them is also good for a paper trail). Eventually that person will just get it done either to be helpful, or simply in the hope you go away and stop bothering them ever again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have to deal with a company like that, put someone on their end on the hook for these fuckups. Nothing malicious or abusive to their staff, but call around their system until they put you with a direct reporter/case manager of some kind, and don't go away until you have their direct phone number. Every time Spectrum fucks up, you now call them directly with your order number. Be firm, be professional, and be sure to insinuate you'll be calling again if their company fucks up again once you have them promising to follow up on their end (A followup email in writing from them is also good for a paper trail). Eventually that person will just get it done either to be helpful, or simply in the hope you go away and stop bothering them ever again.

I can assure you this person does not exist at Spectrum.

At least myself, the COO and the CEO have never been able to locate this person. Everyone we have ever dealt with has been equally useless.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

I can assure you this person does not exist at Spectrum.

At least myself, the COO and the CEO have never been able to locate this person. Everyone we have ever dealt with has been equally useless.

That's the point; you make one. You have to functionally be That Customer with one poor lazy bastard who had the misfortune to be given your initial call or case and push them into doing their job just to be rid of you.

You got a brief email update from them? Call for a followup for specific details.

Site inspection's in a week? Call that person the day before to get your guy to confirm the site visitor is still attending, get the visitor's name for COVIDSafe/Security/Amusement purposes, along with their phone number. They don't know who is attending? How long will it take them to find out? They'll look it up and call back? Good, you expect to hear back in an hour. And call immediately an hour later if they don't. Still nothing? That's nice, keep trying, another hour, another call...

The goal isn't to make someone's life hell, it's to make doing their job properly the lesser of two evils compared to having you call them yet again. And they know you will call again if they don't.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have given up completely in dealing with Spectrum, Cogent, Zayo, Comcast, etc.

The best thing I've found to do is to hire that crusty old guy that used to work with all the higher ups back in their fiber splicing days and has everyones cell phone number and goes to their BBQs in the summer. Pay that person and let them handle it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dayforce, our HR provider, does not seem have a functional user-side password reset.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

We've outsourced our website.

Things I've learned today

• Our new website is non-hierarchical. Every school and office has a completely different website with a different MS Azure AD App for authentication to the admin pages for each site.
  • They use Letsencrypt (great) but use the HTTP challenge method (not great). The fact that we aren't cutting over our DNS entries until the new site is live means that the websites won't have HTTPS until approximately a day after they go live.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Maigius posted:

Dayforce, our HR provider, does not seem have a functional user-side password reset.

oh ho ho Dayforce, they are an interesting bunch.

I worked closely with one of their implementation folks to do a rollout for a fortune 100 (maybe 500 now) company and let me tell you, their backend to configure the application is awful, among other things I've drank to forget.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows 10 is totally hosed for my location somehow - using any Windows app or Edge seems to think I'm in North Carolina instead of the UK, Chrome works fine. This means that the weather app is wrong, auto timezone is wrong etc.

I haven't changed anything about my network recently, my IP address correctly geolocates. Really struggling to figure out wtf is going on.

Edit: Turn the Wi-Fi off and it's working again, very weird.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

MF_James posted:

oh ho ho Dayforce, they are an interesting bunch.

I worked closely with one of their implementation folks to do a rollout for a fortune 100 (maybe 500 now) company and let me tell you, their backend to configure the application is awful, among other things I've drank to forget.

In my experience, most HR software to track people is loving terrible and I loathe it immensely. But then again, I only (generally) deal with the data it can export, so maybe my opinion is poo poo.