Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hmmm. On the one hand, this season has been really good. On the other hand, I’d kind of like the show to go out on a high note instead of running poo poo into the ground again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was kind of hoping this season would be a proper finale of some sort.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Run it for 30 years until no one cares. :allbuttons:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I am your rampage sherpa, let me guide you through the winding peaks of Mount Rampage

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean the show is somewhat creatively broke, but also people get paid to write act and animate this so I'm all for those people getting paychecks as long as the show is profitable.

But at the same time, I wouldn't be utterly heartbroken to see it go away.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

better that talented people move onto new work than waste their creative output on something comfortable, no?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was just thinking that one more episode didn't really seem like enough for a proper send-off, but I'm not sure that's where I was going.

I currently believe they can pull off at least one more season, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've been liking this season, and I'm glad to get more, that's my hot take.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am a bit let down that Lana's husband turned out to be such a massive turd, though. I liked his brief tenure as a non-toxic person interacting with the old gang.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've been liking this season, and I'm glad to get more, that's my hot take.

Like I said, it’s a great season and if they can keep it up I’d be delighted, I’m just wary of them getting all burnt out and repetitive again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some excellent lines in this episode:

I'm concerned about the mental health of them good old boys!

Let me call Michel Foucault and get back to you. Click, sorry to hear that. Apparently Foucault's still dead.

Say what you will about the Swiss, but they sure hate the poo poo out of horses.

A: Introspection is the enemy of happiness, so my advice is: don't. Always worked for me.
L: Has it though?
A: I don't know! That's the beauty.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad they didn't do the stupid thing and have the villain fall off a cliff or disappear into the woods only to come back later.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I am a bit let down that Lana's husband turned out to be such a massive turd, though. I liked his brief tenure as a non-toxic person interacting with the old gang.

On the other hand, it fits in with the season's theme: "Everyone is a mess, but most adults are able to hide that fact from strangers."

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So did someone sit the writers down and make a rule that callbacks weren't allowed anymore? It seemed like they made up 50% of the dialog the last couple season, and their elimination alone fixed the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ray realizing partway through the chase that he had a gun on him was pretty great.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
So... Are you in a local stage production of The Matrix?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arven posted:

So did someone sit the writers down and make a rule that callbacks weren't allowed anymore? It seemed like they made up 50% of the dialog the last couple season, and their elimination alone fixed the show.

It's more likely just the new blood in the writer's room. Reed has always been heavy on the callbacks but most of his shows only ran a couple seasons.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The final scene with the villain was great. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

It's more likely just the new blood in the writer's room. Reed has always been heavy on the callbacks but most of his shows only ran a couple seasons.

I still wish Frisky Dingo had gotten a third season. But even the two seasons of that run less than two hours, so the callbacks don’t have time to get stale.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still wish Frisky Dingo had gotten a third season. But even the two seasons of that run less than two hours, so the callbacks don’t have time to get stale.

I heard a "Boosh" on one of these Archer episodes. Isn't that from FD?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

GORDON posted:

I heard a "Boosh" on one of these Archer episodes. Isn't that from FD?

Archer is full of FD references. Boosh, loose cannon, "what the hell, drat guy!", Fat Mike, 'master coconut' - and probably loads more I can't think of right. now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Red Oktober posted:

Archer is full of FD references. Boosh, loose cannon, "what the hell, drat guy!", Fat Mike, 'master coconut' - and probably loads more I can't think of right. now.

Cody 2 is on the tontine board Cheryl makes in the WWI veterans episode. I just noticed that like two weeks ago. That episode is almost ten years old and I’ve seen it a shitmillion times, I didn’t think there was anything new to notice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God, I'm glad this show is back to being its old self

This season has loving owned so far

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This season has been so good and back to form I could easily go for more. If they choose to wrap it up well I'll respect that too but really it's feeling more it's aging like American Dad and less like say the simpsons

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

This season has been so good and back to form I could easily go for more. If they choose to wrap it up well I'll respect that too but really it's feeling more it's aging like American Dad and less like say the simpsons

... I can't really argue with that, except to say that the last few seasons of The Simpsons have mostly been pretty decent, as they've returned to a lot of the really absurdist humor that was common in the early seasons. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's not as bad as it was for a while.

But, I'm digging this season of Archer. And this last episode in particular was great. It was nice to see that Robert, who has no spycraft talent, was able to lend a hand by playing to his strengths--namely, being a really rich guy who can buy everything, go everywhere, etc. And, we get to learn a little more about his and Lana's relationship, and his relationship to his stepdaughter.

Archer saying "well, I wasn't using that heart anyway" when he realizes who AJ is calling daddy was pretty good. I admit, I was hoping for a daddy-daughter reunion, but it looks like that ship has sailed, and they did a good job of conveying how devastating that is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cody 2 is on the tontine board Cheryl makes in the WWI veterans episode. I just noticed that like two weeks ago. That episode is almost ten years old and I’ve seen it a shitmillion times, I didn’t think there was anything new to notice.

Cheryl mentions "That's going in the slideshow!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

Archer saying "well, I wasn't using that heart anyway" when he realizes who AJ is calling daddy was pretty good. I admit, I was hoping for a daddy-daughter reunion, but it looks like that ship has sailed, and they did a good job of conveying how devastating that is.

I really don't think it has. They've been kind of going out of their way to make it clear that, despite Lana trying to make things work with Robert and it not being completely terrible, he's... kind of a gigantic rear end in a top hat, and they've made it very explicit that Lana has noticed this and is starting to get a little tired of him.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark that, at some point either by the end of this season or in the next, Lana cheats on Robert with Archer and that tips over a domino chain that puts them more or less back at pre-coma status quo. Which opens up jokes about Archer being both AJ's stepdad (because Robert raised her for more or less the entirety of her memory) and her bio dad.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I really wasn't feeling the first couple of episodes this season, but they've really hit their stride to the point where I have no reservations at all about watching another season. The past few episodes have been vintage-level quality.

I do hope that if next season is the last, though, that they commit to it so they can give the show the proper ending it deserves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

God, I'm glad this show is back to being its old self

This season has loving owned so far
It’s been way better than I expected

The last two episodes in particular have been great

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arven posted:

They called it out in the first or second episode where Archer tried using a couple and the team told him they don't do that anymore.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Red Oktober posted:

KAKOW!

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Red Oktober posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccVH6Hsjwco

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
10/10

I'm surprised how good the last few have been.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
"When you're innovative enough, everything is a helipad"- Elon Musk probably

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I thought it was nice in Ep7 to have an episode where Archer didn't completely ruin everything he touched. I think it wouldn't have been believable knowing Lana would have put a bullet in his face if he screwed up any part of AJ's rescue but still he mainly took a back seat and it felt like a little relief.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The hallucinations began before he almost coma'ed himself again, so... well, they didn't make this whole season a coma season, at least not officially yet, so what was up with that?

I'm guessing they'll explore that next season? Some neurological damage plot or arc?

Or maybe the coma seasons weren't enough, and they're going full Ninth-Season-of-Dallas on us?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

tarlibone posted:

The hallucinations began before he almost coma'ed himself again, so... well, they didn't make this whole season a coma season, at least not officially yet, so what was up with that?

I'm guessing they'll explore that next season? Some neurological damage plot or arc?

Or maybe the coma seasons weren't enough, and they're going full Ninth-Season-of-Dallas on us?

I took it to mean he kinda wants to go back to the coma dreamworld. Where he falls back in love with Lana in a thousand different realities, Barry is still his arch-nemesis and no one in his social circle is more successful than him

Like he probably didn't have to do that ridiculous stunt to stop the submarine from getting away, but that plan had the better chance of drifting off into just one more high-concept adventure

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I had to check IMDb to make sure that wasn’t actually Werner Herzog.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Red Oktober posted:

And now we can add Baby Lamont to the list!

I really loved this episode, and Archer pointing out that maybe they really did want an excuse to be their worst selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This was great episode, but I want MORE.