Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ola posted:

It sure makes you wonder why an addon by Oleksandr to simply "View and manage downloads from a tidy status bar" fucks with your web pages.

It creates its toolbar by injecting it into the web page code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Applebees posted:

It creates its toolbar by injecting it into the web page code.

Could well be innocuous I suppose, but if he really has a history of malware then it's fishy. I looked at the source, not really sure what to look for other than ctrl-f for eval and string replace. No evals, but plenty of string replace which could be used to hide web requests to bad places. Any ideas on where to send a tip?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Has anyone gotten picture-in-picture to work on apple tv plus (tv.apple.com)?

I'm convinced they're doing something weird to break it, but given that it works for literally every other video streaming site it's unexpected.

Doesn't work in Chrome either FWIW.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Lakitu7 posted:

Could you link this, please? I'm having a hard time finding it anything that looks functional or non-abandoned.

Installation instructions at this link:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/tree-tabs

Treetabs 2 download here:
https://yadi.sk/d/hoJ3b6o3ZQfSUQ

Although that might be abandoned too, who knows.

It looks like one of those authors has a similar extension for Opera.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 1, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is there a way to change the default location of the picture-in-picture window? It always opens in the lower-right corner, can I have it open instead in the upper-left?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Has anyone ever had a problem where one computer in your household is having trouble accessing google accounts/youtube (can't get past the log in screen, it just says sorry something is wrong try again) on Firefox where it works fine on 2 other computers all sharing the same connection? I have been trying to get into my account for two days straight on my desktop and have made zero progress. It works just fine on my laptop though. Cleared cookies/cache, made sure windows and Firefox were both up to date. I'm completely at a loss for what could be causing issues only with Google and its account system on one computer but not the others.

edit: Also having buffering/loading issues on Youtube. This is happening across all browsers but isn't an issue on my laptop. Desktop is wired, laptop is on wifi.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem where one computer in your household is having trouble accessing google accounts/youtube (can't get past the log in screen, it just says sorry something is wrong try again) on Firefox where it works fine on 2 other computers all sharing the same connection? I have been trying to get into my account for two days straight on my desktop and have made zero progress. It works just fine on my laptop though. Cleared cookies/cache, made sure windows and Firefox were both up to date. I'm completely at a loss for what could be causing issues only with Google and its account system on one computer but not the others.

edit: Also having buffering/loading issues on Youtube. This is happening across all browsers but isn't an issue on my laptop. Desktop is wired, laptop is on wifi.

I got completely locked out of my gmail account on exactly two computers from having a userscript with some outdated and slightly busted javascript running that ran on all sites. Took me forever to figure that one out. It'd just say there was a technical problem and to try again later, clicking 'more details' said error code was 3 or sometimes 4.

Maybe you got something similar going on?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Geemer posted:

I got completely locked out of my gmail account on exactly two computers from having a userscript with some outdated and slightly busted javascript running that ran on all sites. Took me forever to figure that one out. It'd just say there was a technical problem and to try again later, clicking 'more details' said error code was 3 or sometimes 4.

Maybe you got something similar going on?

That's what I was thinking but I have no idea what script could be causing it since it's hosed across browsers. There also aren't any error codes I can click on. It just says sorry there was an error try again. No explanation given.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 15, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

That's what I was thinking but I have no idea what script could be causing it since it's hosed across browsers. There also aren't any error codes I can click on. It just says sorry there was an error try again. No explanation given.

Do you maybe have some antivirus or antimalware or firewall or whatever that is injecting code into pages?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Geemer posted:

Do you maybe have some antivirus or antimalware or firewall or whatever that is injecting code into pages?

Other than windows no. I've run the browsers in safe mode as well so I don't think it's an extension doing it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

On Terra Firma posted:

Other than windows no. I've run the browsers in safe mode as well so I don't think it's an extension doing it.

DNS problem with your ISP?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

DNS problem with your ISP?

I thought it might be the case but I'm not having any issues on two other computers in the house. Only difference is that my desktop is a wired connection.

edit: So something happened. I unplugged and moved a wifi extender from upstairs and brought it closer to my rowing machine and suddenly everything is working fine. Not sure if that's correlated but it works.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 16, 2020

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

bewilderment posted:

Installation instructions at this link:
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/tree-tabs

Treetabs 2 download here:
https://yadi.sk/d/hoJ3b6o3ZQfSUQ

Although that might be abandoned too, who knows.

It looks like one of those authors has a similar extension for Opera.

From the comments it sounds like it breaks really often :(. I'll check it out though, thank you!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a way I can make the forums less wide in a full screen firefox window? I'd like to use my browser in full screen but SA becomes unreadably wide whereas most other fluid width (or whatever it's called) have some sort of limit to how wide a text can be.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cebrail posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but is there a way I can make the forums less wide in a full screen firefox window? I'd like to use my browser in full screen but SA becomes unreadably wide whereas most other fluid width (or whatever it's called) have some sort of limit to how wide a text can be.

Stylus extension + a user stylesheet that applies to sa and sets #container or #content to whatever px max-width you're happy with.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How do I fix the font rendering problem that I only get here? Sometimes scrolling will fix it. I noticed when Firefox updated to 82, for the rest of that session it never happened so I thought it was fixed. But it's back again.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

astral posted:

Stylus extension + a user stylesheet that applies to sa and sets #container or #content to whatever px max-width you're happy with.

Perfect, thanks! It's been a long time since I fiddled with user stylesheets.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is what I use with Violentmonkey:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Table Width
// @namespace   forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @include     about:stylish-edit?id=3
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// @include    https://forums.somethingawful.com/*

// ==/UserScript==
document.body.setAttribute('style', 'width: 90%; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0; right: 0; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;');
And, of course, just change the width from 90% to anything that floats your boat.

EDIT: And, if you don't like the sea of white you end up with on either side of the forums, I use this script in Stylus to change it to a calm blue/grey.

code:
html:not([stylus-iframe]) {
    background-color: #283747 !important;
    background-image: none !important;
    background-size: 100% auto!important;
    background-position: center center!important;
    background-repeat: no-repeat!important;
    background-attachment: fixed!important
}
Oh, and the reason all the other lines after the background-color line are there is because sometimes I like to change the background-image line from "none" to a URL for something pretty, like a starscape.

If you don't think you'll ever be doing that, you can just delete them.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 23, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

phosdex posted:

How do I fix the font rendering problem that I only get here? Sometimes scrolling will fix it. I noticed when Firefox updated to 82, for the rest of that session it never happened so I thought it was fixed. But it's back again.
I just block any calls to fonts.googleapis.com from this site. You can do this in uBlock origin.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

I just block any calls to fonts.googleapis.com from this site. You can do this in uBlock origin.

Thanks, this is working.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Webfonts: Just say no.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Something else: I'm trying Fennec F-droid on a whim on my old rear end phone and after being kicked out of memory, it recovers the single tab I have open all the time in 2 seconds instead of the 10+ it might take regular android Firefox. I just don't understand, considering the only advertised difference is that some telemetry was taken out. Same version number, same add-ons. The difference is obscene.

Is using Fennec a bad idea for some other reason? I'm not up to date on any open source or other drama surrounding it.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I sometimes visit an SA thread (lets say the macro thread in PYF) and visit every new page of content. I then later view the thread in Offline Mode but several times some images or pages wont load and i have to hit F5 untill it loads correctly. Do anybody know what causes it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't think that font error is actually caused by webfonts -- those subpixel errors have been happening since firefox 50-something. Here's a post I made about it in 2017.

I don't know where it comes from, but it seems to be a subtle and persistent bug. I notice it most on tabs that have been open for a long time, so I feel like it's some weird accumulation of errors in the rendering output or something. Potentially the google webfonts have subpixel hinting that's more prone to these errors -- the hinting on MS default fonts is really well tuned. But you can tell it's not a problem purely with the font itself because the corruption is different on different lines.

It's gotten better over the years -- I used to notice it all the time in the grey forums, but now if I want to trigger it I need to go to yospos, find a part of the page with a lot of animated gifs in people's avatars, and let it sit for a while. Also I've been using userstyle CSS to set SA to use my default sans-serif font for years, which I normally have set to calibri (so a standard MS font).

#1. Go to about :config and type "gfx." in the search box. Then make sure all the settings that start with gfx are set to defaults (other than crash-guard, which firefox sets itself). Potentially if you have an old profile, you have old prefs that deal with font rendering from a long time ago as workarounds for different problems.

#2. ctrl-a to select all, click to deselect. Anything that forces the text to redraw fixes it, including selecting & deselecting text.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah did not want to imply it actually fixes the problem at its source. Just that Roboto is a garbage font prone to whatever is going wrong and that you can avoid it without losing anything of value.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

phosdex posted:

I fixed that by reenabling WebRender, if I recall correctly.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ok, I've turned on WebRender and stopped blocking web fonts here. Going to see how this works out.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Firefox just updated to 82.0 and nuked my pinned tabs so thoroughly they don't even show in the history (had already tried the usual restore previous session, etc, but that only brought back the non-pinned tabs and the profile backups don't have it either). Nothing critical there but I'm tired of having to work around Firefox's issues and UX blunders on every update, so is there an alternative that isn't Chrome/Edge and isn't associated with shady advertiser stuff?

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 24, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Falcorum posted:

Firefox just updated to 82.0 and nuked my pinned tabs so thoroughly they don't even show in the history (had already tried the usual restore previous session, etc, but that only brought back the non-pinned tabs and the profile backups don't have it either). Nothing critical there but I'm tired of having to work around Firefox's issues and UX blunders on every update, so is there an alternative that isn't Chrome/Edge and isn't associated with shady advertiser stuff?

No.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcorum posted:

so is there an alternative that isn't Chrome/Edge and isn't associated with shady advertiser stuff?

Vivaldi, as long as "isn't Chrome" is just talking about chrome itself and not a general chromium based browser

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
... Opera?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

... Opera?
Also uses Blink, which is a fork of WebKit that serves as the basis of every other browser that isn't based on Blink and isn't Firefox.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

AnimalChin posted:

... Opera?

Owned by some weird chinese equity firm. It's everyone's personal decision if they are more or less suspect than Google, but I would think equity firm would plan to make money with their browser and I would very suspect for any money making schemes with browsers.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Did anyone else's Dark Mode get nuked with the update or is it just me?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Vivaldi is nice but I keep running into things I got used to in Mozilla browsers which you can't change (or only in very roundabout ways). Like having per-site download folder defaults, or tab customization.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Klyith posted:

Vivaldi, as long as "isn't Chrome" is just talking about chrome itself and not a general chromium based browser

It is basically Chrome, suffers from most of the same issues and limitations, uses the same extensions and isn’t open source.

The webrequest filtering change google are making will break decent adblocking for them just the same, unless they are going to competently maintain a forked version of their Chromium base forever.

They may say that they are, but they won’t.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wooger posted:

The webrequest filtering change google are making will break decent adblocking for them just the same, unless they are going to competently maintain a forked version of their Chromium base forever.

They may say that they are, but they won’t.

Google themselves will be maintaining the old webrequest API in base chromium, because it will still be available for customers who pay google for the managed enterprise version of Chrome.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Google themselves will be maintaining the old webrequest API in base chromium, because it will still be available for customers who pay google for the managed enterprise version of Chrome.
I give it N days where N is less than anyone would reasonably expect before they deprecate it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One of the Mozilla folks just posted about some navigational instruments in Firefox which I found handy, so I thought I'd pass them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One of the Mozilla folks just posted about some navigational instruments in Firefox which I found handy, so I thought I'd pass them on.

not having the ctrl+enter shortcut to go to whatever.com always infuriates me when I use other browsers

I'd probably get decent use out of the *^#$% things if I could remember what they were. IMO they should add an optional expansion into plain-text for those. For example if I could say "github in:urls" or "zaurg in:bookmarks" rather than $ or ^ that would be waaaay more useful. Slower to type but far easier if you're an occasional user of those things.

Or maybe when you type a solitary ! in the address bar, it shows you the key for all the other symbols.