Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

MonkeyFit posted:

Welcome to the future dude. I get 5GHz out to my mailbox.
What's weird is 5Ghz at 1/2 connection bar is still light years ahead of the 2.5Ghz.

I love it! Time to look at what else I can do. Apparently I can have my own cloud storage if I just connect a portable HD to the router? Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HDs connected directly to routers are always unstable and slow and poo poo.

What you actually want is a NAS.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

When I installed the wireless router, I was hitting 95MB+ on the speed test. Now, I'm maxing out at 35.

Today, I turned in the Spectrum wireless router and my internet went out for a little bit.

Could they have nerfed the speed from their end somehow since I'm no longer using their WiFi Home service? That doesn't make sense to me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

When I installed the wireless router, I was hitting 95MB+ on the speed test. Now, I'm maxing out at 35.

Today, I turned in the Spectrum wireless router and my internet went out for a little bit.

Could they have nerfed the speed from their end somehow since I'm no longer using their WiFi Home service? That doesn't make sense to me.

What website are you using to test?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

astral posted:

What website are you using to test?

I'm using the Google one and okra speed test.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm using the Google one and okra speed test.

See if you get similar results from: https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm getting about the same. I'm just trying to figure out if the speed tests I did earlier were just overly optimistic, but when I did the tests out of the gate, it was blazing fast.

WiFi is weird.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm getting about the same. I'm just trying to figure out if the speed tests I did earlier were just overly optimistic, but when I did the tests out of the gate, it was blazing fast.

WiFi is weird.

What do wired speed tests give you?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

okra speed test.

I love fried okra.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

astral posted:

What do wired speed tests give you?

When I do the test of the wired speed, it gives me 238.2MBs. When I initially installed the router, I went to the furthest corner of the house away from the router and I was getting 97.3MBs. I was may call Spectrum to figure out what's going on.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

When I do the test of the wired speed, it gives me 238.2MBs. When I initially installed the router, I went to the furthest corner of the house away from the router and I was getting 97.3MBs. I was may call Spectrum to figure out what's going on.

Sounds like it's on your router (or stuff in between your router and this furthest corner)'s end, which means Spectrum won't really be able to help you (you aren't using their wifi router any more). Do you have set channels for your wifi network or are they automatic? Have you checked your environment to see which wifi channels are least utilized?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

astral posted:

Sounds like it's on your router (or stuff in between your router and this furthest corner)'s end, which means Spectrum won't really be able to help you (you aren't using their wifi router any more). Do you have set channels for your wifi network or are they automatic? Have you checked your environment to see which wifi channels are least utilized?

I have it set to automatic. I guess I should fiddle around with the setting some more. It's the AX20 router, if that makes a difference.

Figured it out! For some weird reason my router was connecting to a set channel for 5Ghz. Popped that sucker back to auto and I got my speed back. Thanks a lot! Have a picture.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else with Comcast find their web portal for account management to generally be comically slow? Just about every time I log into the website to pay my bill or whatever it is painfully slow to use.

My Internet speed is generally just dandy, but my ISP's own website runs like dogshit. There have also been times it has refused to load at all in Chrome, but will load in Firefox.

Other Comcast subscribers see the same kind of thing?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else with Comcast find their web portal for account management to generally be comically slow? Just about every time I log into the website to pay my bill or whatever it is painfully slow to use.

My Internet speed is generally just dandy, but my ISP's own website runs like dogshit. There have also been times it has refused to load at all in Chrome, but will load in Firefox.

Yes, it is complete dogshit.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've had this issue with Cox, Comcast, AT&T, and Spectrum. It's industry standard for them to make the user experience as painful as possible.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I have it set to automatic. I guess I should fiddle around with the setting some more. It's the AX20 router, if that makes a difference.

Did you land on just the AX20?

Friend/coworker of mine has some kind of ATT home internet and their wifi sucks in their apartment. I'm about to reach through the zoom call and strangle them for how lovely their connection is.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Did you land on just the AX20?

Friend/coworker of mine has some kind of ATT home internet and their wifi sucks in their apartment. I'm about to reach through the zoom call and strangle them for how lovely their connection is.

Yeah, I was looking at the AX10, but it wasn't that much more for the AX20. My home is about 2500 sq ft and even though the router literally sits in one corner of the house, I can get good Wifi coverage (now that I've figured out the issue) pretty much all over the house without any extenders or anything.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What's a good <$250 router/modem combo? I'm moving into a new place next week and will need something that can cover ~1200 square feet including an office in the basement. I've got a range extender to help boost signal and am planning on running ethernet cables to devices I can (Apple TV/PS4, computers upstairs). Both my fiancee and I work remote full time so range and speed are important. I'll be using Xfinity for internet.

I was looking at the Asus AC66U for a router but came across this combo which seems fine https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-ac-1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-with-24-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/5791602.p?skuId=5791602. Thoughts? Should I avoid a combo?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

yoohoo posted:

What's a good <$250 router/modem combo? I'm moving into a new place next week and will need something that can cover ~1200 square feet including an office in the basement. I've got a range extender to help boost signal and am planning on running ethernet cables to devices I can (Apple TV/PS4, computers upstairs). Both my fiancee and I work remote full time so range and speed are important. I'll be using Xfinity for internet.

I was looking at the Asus AC66U for a router but came across this combo which seems fine https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-surfboard-ac-1750-dual-band-wi-fi-router-with-24-x-8-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-white/5791602.p?skuId=5791602. Thoughts? Should I avoid a combo?

Friends do not let friends purchase modem/router combos.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

astral posted:

Quoted for truth.

Check the compatible modem list and go from there:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices

Then choose a decent router to attach to it.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Looking for just a simple outdoor AP to tie into the rest of my system, would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Net...tronics&sr=1-30

I don't need to use any of the mesh capabilities, already have the ethernet port outside, just want some coverage in the back yard.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

astral posted:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

astral posted:

New thread title?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I dunno, if I didn’t live in an old radioblocking house and get some sense of fulfillment from network jockeying, I’d be set with mine. It’s as good or better than my airports, and gets rebooted about as often. I think most people are generally happy with them, barring house interference, high/complex usage, etc.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a recommendation for a mesh system with support for wired backhaul? I was thinking of waiting for the Eero Pro 6 but that doesn't yet have a date for my region and doesn't look to be getting one soon. I'm mainly concerned with stability and no loss of connection when doing the handover between access points (right now it takes a while for my phone to reestablish connection when moving from the extenders range into the routers range).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a recommendation for a mesh system with support for wired backhaul? I was thinking of waiting for the Eero Pro 6 but that doesn't yet have a date for my region and doesn't look to be getting one soon. I'm mainly concerned with stability and no loss of connection when doing the handover between access points (right now it takes a while for my phone to reestablish connection when moving from the extenders range into the routers range).

The Google Wifi Mesh does this. I just had that exact set up and it was solid. I'm not certain the newest version branded Nest does it or not, but may.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

TraderStav posted:

The Google Wifi Mesh does this. I just had that exact set up and it was solid. I'm not certain the newest version branded Nest does it or not, but may.

They seem to have dropped wired backhaul support as the Nest Wifi Access Point does not a have a LAN port at all. I suppose I could just buy two routers but that seems less than ideal to me.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a recommendation for a mesh system with support for wired backhaul?

Is ubiquiti in your price range? Zero handoff on multiple APs has the same effect (one large network).

That said I've been recommending ubiquiti for everything recently.. Coverage problems, Internet problems, Spousal problems, Etc.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A dream machine paired with a nanohd access point is the same price as an Eero Pro set would be (around 500 Euro), I assume that's what you're recommending? Should the lack of WIFI 6 and WPA3 be a factor in my purchasing decision here? I'm hoping to use whatever I get for 5+ years at least (I believe I got close to 10 years out of my current router).

EDIT: I just saw that the 2.4GHz antenna of the UDM is rated for a max throughput of 300Mbps, less than my 500Mbps connection, could this be a limiting factor in real life scenarios? I don't necessarily need that sort of speed outside of my NAS or desktop but if I can get it with another product, I'd rather have it than not if all else is equal.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2020

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Retrograde posted:

Looking for just a simple outdoor AP to tie into the rest of my system, would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Net...tronics&sr=1-30

I don't need to use any of the mesh capabilities, already have the ethernet port outside, just want some coverage in the back yard.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a mesh network the seamless handoff between APs?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

MonkeyFit posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a mesh network the seamless handoff between APs?

I think mesh really refers to how the nodes communicate, which is typically by using wireless between the nodes so that you can relay them together. It almost feels like a semantic issue when nodes within the mesh can use wired backhaul, since that strikes me more like an access point.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

withoutclass posted:

I think mesh really refers to how the nodes communicate, which is typically by using wireless between the nodes so that you can relay them together. It almost feels like a semantic issue when nodes within the mesh can use wired backhaul, since that strikes me more like an access point.

It's useful when you have a large mesh to have multiple nodes with wired backhaul. However, if all your nodes have wired backhaul, you're better off not spending the extra for "mesh" capability and just buy access points.

But yes, a mesh network refers to how all the access points communicate back to the uplink. In a mesh network, the access points use wireless as the backhaul to the uplink, through one or more access points with wired backhaul. Mesh also theoretically allows for the loss of one or more of the access points without loss of service.

And seamless handoff between APs has traditionally been a feature of enterprise AP systems, since it requires the access points to communicate between each other, and doesn't rely on the access points being a part of a mesh. Seamless handoff is making its way into the consumer space due to these mesh wireless systems, since all the APs communicate with each other.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Netgear Orbi also does wired backhaul.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

They seem to have dropped wired backhaul support as the Nest Wifi Access Point does not a have a LAN port at all. I suppose I could just buy two routers but that seems less than ideal to me.

I have a mix of two Google WiFi points and a Nest Router all on backhaul, works like a dream

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Is ubiquiti in your price range? Zero handoff on multiple APs has the same effect (one large network).

That said I've been recommending ubiquiti for everything recently.. Coverage problems, Internet problems, Spousal problems, Etc.

Does zero handoff actually work now? I have a set of ancient Ubiquiti 802.11n APs, and zero handoff was complete garbage that broke everything whenever I turned it on.

I'm debating whether to replace them with newer ubiquitis or see if I can cover the whole area with one well placed regular Wifi 6 router for 30% of the price.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
TP-link Omada line is inexpensive and does handoff. I have 3 and they have been flawless. I’ve been championing them in this thread for a while but the ubiquity bros are hard to be heard over.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Is there a way to connect 2 WiFi routers wireless if they don't have Bridge modes? Want to use a router attached to my pc to connect to my ISP WiFi modem.

One is a virgin hub 3.0 and the other is a dlink dir x1860

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not unless they explicitly support it

If you don't need more than 50-100mbps, you could try one of those powerline networking adapters, they used to suck, but they're pretty good these days from what I hear, and reasonably affordable, less than $60 I think

If you want true wireless networking, you'll need a matched set, like the Google WiFi, or a pair of Nest routers, or whatever the evangelicals suggest

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

A dream machine paired with a nanohd access point is the same price as an Eero Pro set would be (around 500 Euro), I assume that's what you're recommending? Should the lack of WIFI 6 and WPA3 be a factor in my purchasing decision here? I'm hoping to use whatever I get for 5+ years at least (I believe I got close to 10 years out of my current router).

EDIT: I just saw that the 2.4GHz antenna of the UDM is rated for a max throughput of 300Mbps, less than my 500Mbps connection, could this be a limiting factor in real life scenarios? I don't necessarily need that sort of speed outside of my NAS or desktop but if I can get it with another product, I'd rather have it than not if all else is equal.

The nanoHD does have Wifi 6 whereas the UDM does not (yes, it bothers me too, I had to accept that somewhat slight drawback for now). If it became an issue I'd shut down the radio on the UDM itself and use another nanoHD (or equivilent at the time). I do think it will last 5 years, I bought on the same basis. With that in mind, I don't think the WPA3 lack will be a practical concern for the lifespan of the machine either. If you really want to, go for a UDM Pro and 2 nanoHDs/in wall HD APs - although as cool as it might be, it can be OTT for home use.

The 300mbps max on 2.4ghz isn't likely to be a limiting factor. I did some quick googling on the absolute max but didn't get reliable results at a glance. In reality that's plenty of speed for virtually anything and keep in mind some of your traffic will go onto 5ghz. For what remains, it's also split between two access points (each capable of that). I don't foresee this being a problem, or at least not a problem that having a theoretical higher maximum throughput could solve for you. This point applies beyond just Ubiquiti products.

With that in mind, see what willroc7 said about the TP-Link products. They are also well liked. In fact I've just recommended some for a friend who wasn't jumping on the (imperfect) Ubiqiti train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rooted Vegetable posted:

The nanoHD does have Wifi 6 whereas the UDM does not (yes, it bothers me too, I had to accept that somewhat slight drawback for now). If it became an issue I'd shut down the radio on the UDM itself and use another nanoHD (or equivilent at the time). I do think it will last 5 years, I bought on the same basis. With that in mind, I don't think the WPA3 lack will be a practical concern for the lifespan of the machine either. If you really want to, go for a UDM Pro and 2 nanoHDs/in wall HD APs - although as cool as it might be, it can be OTT for home use.

The 300mbps max on 2.4ghz isn't likely to be a limiting factor. I did some quick googling on the absolute max but didn't get reliable results at a glance. In reality that's plenty of speed for virtually anything and keep in mind some of your traffic will go onto 5ghz. For what remains, it's also split between two access points (each capable of that). I don't foresee this being a problem, or at least not a problem that having a theoretical higher maximum throughput could solve for you. This point applies beyond just Ubiquiti products.

With that in mind, see what willroc7 said about the TP-Link products. They are also well liked. In fact I've just recommended some for a friend who wasn't jumping on the (imperfect) Ubiqiti train.

Thanks for this, seems like the UDM + NanoHD is the right combo for me, especially since the Omada line, while certainly intriguing, seems a bit beyond the ease of setup level I was hoping for.