Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm beginning to think that maybe someone should have checked up on this library a few hundred years before it was lost to the undead.

Part 13: Ancient Library of Magic
Part 14: Holoholo Jungle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The brightening/darkening during battles after using Light/Dark attacks actually does have a mechanical purpose: it alters how any pictures you take during the battle look, and by extension how much they sell for. Pictures that are too bright or too dark will sell for less, but honestly it's an insane detail to have in this game and you don't need to min-max your shoot lighting like it's ANTM or some poo poo.

There's so many weird little details and mechanics in this game, I'm surprised that we haven't seen (mechanical spoiler) getting new Magnus cards from battle by using certain combinations in-battle yet.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 15: Opu, the Waterfall Village
Part 16: The Celestial Tree

Today we're encountering one of the rarest beasts of all - an operation that went exactly according to plan???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah Savyna was definitely the character who I used the least. Her attack animations are too fast and her fire-water duality I found less useful than something like Lyude's light-dark duality. She can use "male" armor though, so you go girl.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 17: Heart of the Tree
Part 18: The Trail of Souls

Strap the gently caress in kids, we're going to Mira. Whatever you thought was weird about this game, you ain't seen poo poo.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Yeah Savyna was definitely the character who I used the least. Her attack animations are too fast and her fire-water duality I found less useful than something like Lyude's light-dark duality. She can use "male" armor though, so you go girl.

Yeah, my party for the most part was Kalas / Xelha / Lyude, with occasional appearances from Gibari. Lyude works really well for bosses in particular, since most have a weakness to either light or dark.

Savyna wasn’t my least used character though - that honor goes to the final party member, for obvious reasons.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Savyna is definitely more situational than some but when she's good, she's really good. She packs more of a punch than Xelha's magic, and her fire cards are significantly better than Gibari's if for no other reason than so many of his best cards and finishers are water-based. And in situations where you do want water, Savyna/Gibari gets the job done better than anyone, Xelha included.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I tended to use Lyude a lot during my first playthrough, but in a later replay I mostly used Xelha and the last party member. I know it may sound odd to those who know them, but trust me, it'll all make sense once a certain pattern makes itself known.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 19: Portal to an Outer Dimension
Part 20: Parnasse, the Confectionery Village

Up until this point, Baten Kaitos has had some strange design decisions, but is largely a bog-standard JRPG in terms of settings and aesthetics. Mira...well, I suppose you'll see for yourself real quickly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"Parnasse the what?" lol

Also I definitely don't know how you're supposed to get all of the rewards during the SHMUP sequence, I know that I never did. I hope that none of the later ones are super important!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 30, 2020

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Depending on how completionist you are. If you're going for 100% magnus gathering then you'll want to:
- get into enough fights to get the pictures of the two enemy types here
- get a Frost Cap drop from one of those enemies
- get Secret Recipe 4 from the very last wave
- optional: get Camera II from the second-to-last wave (there are other sources, but they're all finite, so you'll have one less camera if you miss this)

Of the remaining waves, most of their rewards are fairly forgettable, though one of them has a finisher for Lyude. You can get this as a random enemy drop later, though.

On the other hand, if you're not that completionist, you don't particularly need to care. I'd still say to try to get the finisher and the camera though, for general usefulness.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, completionism in this game sounds like a unique hell of its own. I can't imagine waiting two real-time weeks for an item to "mature" so I can have literally everything.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 21: Detourne, the Mystical Garden
Part 22: Reverence, the Picture Book Village

I could make the obvious joke about Kalas here, but instead we're just gonna say that nothing embodies how little Mira gives a gently caress about your established aesthetic or...anything, really quite like Detourne.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

In terms of party comp, I feel like Kalas/Gibari/Xehla or Mizuti is the best option most of the time because the ability to hit literally every element is just so, so useful. Plus, they have such a large variety of weapons that allow them to specialize in 3 elements and not have to worry about the whole elemental negation mechanic. If Savyna or Lyude want to completely avoid that you're either grinding for a while for their cards, stuffing in a bunch of low level weapons, or just throwing a bunch of random crap in their decks.

I still used Lyude a ton though, because as mentioned a bunch of things are weak to either light or dark, and also because he's my boy and I love him. :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Laughing my rear end off at Fedule saying "could we just eat our way out?"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 23: Nekton, the Shrine of Spirits
Part 24: Balancoire, Borough of Illusion

Nekton and Balancoire are far and away the most "normal" areas of Mira. They are also, apropos of nothing, the most boring areas of Mira. Related? You decide.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Big fan of Duke Calbren's outfit, which feels like a cross between the Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka. I guess that's appropriate for what we've seen on Mira!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 25: Coccolith, Labyrinth of Mirrors

And with that, we have officially made it to the end of Disc 1. What horrors (both in-game and designer-fueled) await us in the second half?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
At least it's not Origin's disc swap. By the time I got around to playing that I'd forgotten the old rule of saving in a different slot when swapping discs and, uh...

Yeah.

Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, Xelha and Mizuti sharing cards can actually work out in their favor; snag every spell card you can get your hands on, and then split the element pairs between them. From there you can just focus entirely on the numbers without worrying about canceling out your own damage. As for how to split the elemental pairs up, that'll become clearer in time it takes a bit to start up, but their finishers start following a pattern.

Also, I recall using significantly less armor items than you do. Eating a full attack string without being able to defend can suck, but having a character have to sit there for several turns doing basically nothing because they have a hand full of armor cards they can't do anything with because the enemy never attacks them sucks more.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 26: Mintaka, the Imperial Capital
Part 27: The Battleship Goldoba

We begin Disc 2 with a daring raid into the Empire, immediately blowing our cover, and nearly getting ourselves killed over a plan that was obviously never going to work. So, all in a day's work for these goobers.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 28: Azha, the Mining Village
Part 29: The Lava Caves

And then we immediately turn around and hit the double whammy of War Crimes O'Clock and the big plot twist for Act 1.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I love this plot twist so much. Kalas is such a little shithead that it's just too perfect that he betrays the entire world for something so petty. :allears:

Baten Kaitos is not a good game imo, but it is a great game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Last update, but the Goldoba is a pain in the rear end and that boss fight is maybe the hardest in the game. It doesn't help that the game lets you save on the ship, but not level up if you're too underpowered to beat it!

As for the current update, I think I was completely blindsided by this twist when I first played the game, but maybe I'm a dumbass because pieces of it feel heavily telegraphed from the start now that I'm seeing this game for a second time. I'm a fan, and it only gets more wild from here!

Also we'll see more of it as the game progresses, but I think Melodia is the creepiest villain of any RPG I've played and it's not even close. I physically shot back in my chair the first time they appeared on-screen in this LP lol

E: Making the End Magnus not parts of a dead god but rather random parts of several gods is a nice twist on the "awaken the ancient evil" trope that I appreciate. Like of course you hosed up and misinterpreted the myth of this power, did you think you had it down pat?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 11, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think the twist is hard to figure out because Kalas is the main character. The game does a good job separating "you" from Kalas so that the game can move on without the main protagonist, but in your head you're playing as Kalas, so you think you would know if Kalas is the traitor. Works to the game's benefit because Kalas is easily the most suspicious character in the party. If he joined as the 3rd or 4th character you'd immediately peg him as the traitor because, I mean, duh. Dude's only a token hero, he's a jerk and he barely wants to be here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Arzaac posted:

I think the twist is hard to figure out because Kalas is the main character. The game does a good job separating "you" from Kalas so that the game can move on without the main protagonist, but in your head you're playing as Kalas, so you think you would know if Kalas is the traitor. Works to the game's benefit because Kalas is easily the most suspicious character in the party. If he joined as the 3rd or 4th character you'd immediately peg him as the traitor because, I mean, duh. Dude's only a token hero, he's a jerk and he barely wants to be here.

Yeah, it's a great payoff to that particular narrative decision. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up in my head and the Melodia heel turn is the obvious one, and not what you and I are talking about.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fun fact, if you know where to look you can see exactly when it happens and who the traitor is.

Prior to leaving Anuenue, we have the End Magnus safely in our possession.

After the encounter in Parnasse (this was taken in Detourne), it's missing. How did that happen? :thunk:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I didn't pick up on it the first time I played, but watching the LP it becomes apparent that the creepy voice in the End Magnus interstitial scenes celebrating their awakening is Melodia.

Girl's got issues.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I picked it up by accident my first time through. Went to go check the description of some key item and noticed I was missing an End Magus.

Definitely didn't figure out what happened until after the plot twist though.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I noticed it when I thought to check on the replay. Always thought it was a nice touch.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 30: Mintaka Imperial Fortress
Part 31: Interdimensional Cracks (Part 1)

So Kalas is actually a villain. Now what? Well, our new party leader is going to have to start by getting the band back together, and boy do we have just the plan for it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How Xelha Got Her Groove Back - Let's Play Baten Kaitos

Something I've been wondering since I started watching this, knowing that this twist was coming: there were a number of points where Kalas wanted to do one thing, Xelha wanted to do another, and you as the Guardian Spirit had a dialogue choice between the two. If you sided with Xelha for any of those, do you start this part of the game with a trust bonus towards her?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

C-Euro posted:

How Xelha Got Her Groove Back - Let's Play Baten Kaitos

Something I've been wondering since I started watching this, knowing that this twist was coming: there were a number of points where Kalas wanted to do one thing, Xelha wanted to do another, and you as the Guardian Spirit had a dialogue choice between the two. If you sided with Xelha for any of those, do you start this part of the game with a trust bonus towards her?

I don’t know if it’s ever been confirmed, but that’s what I did on my first play through, and it definitely felt like I got spirit attacks much more often once Xelha took over.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 32: Interdimensional Cracks (Part 2)
Part 33: Interdimensional Cracks (Part 3)

This particular part of the game is...well, it's not very interesting and gets very samey very quickly. It's really unfortunate! They wouldn't have needed *that* much work to make this section work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do the soldiers in Mintaka not attack you on-sight anymore? Or have they chilled out with the new management in town? I thought there was a point where they either attack you or the streets of Mintaka empty out entirely, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Also I meant to ask with the previous update: do you ever go back and get the chest from the roof of Rodolfo's manor?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 34: The Ice Cliffs of Gomeisa
Part 35: Cursa, the Snowy City

Surely this time that we go off searching for a mysterious witch who may or may not even exist will be the time we get it right.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Rewatching some of these episodes. I fully cannot get over how they named a major geographical feature of this game's world the Taintclouds.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
2000-whatever was a more innocent time

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I remembered there being a weird gimmick to the Goddess of Ice fight, but boy that looked way worse than I remember it being.

Also does Barnette have ice horns? That feels like overkill in the ice kingdom.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 36: Kaffaljidhma, Castle of Ice
Part 37: Mintaka Imperial Fortress Redux

Meant to post this yesterday but forgot. Anyway, we have a mirror, we have a dragon, now to storm the fortress and take the fight to Kalas and Melodia. As usual, the plan is flawless and nothing is going to go wrong. Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 38: The Sanctum of Malpercio
Part 39: A Moment of Respite

And with that, we are now completely caught up. Everything has gone exactly to plan, and we're definitely not scrambling for a third-string plan to beat Malpercio. Definitely not.