Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh and that guy is the same one who got in trouble some years ago at Ubisoft for comments

https://twitter.com/genepark/status/1319355701861515265?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlamingLiberal posted:

Keep in mind that Stadia makes you buy almost all games before you can stream them

Different kind of streaming.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think video games even have performance rights like TV shows/movies/music/plays do because up until like a decade ago the idea of needing them would be absurd on the face of it

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

food court bailiff posted:

correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think video games even have performance rights like TV shows/movies/music/plays do because up until like a decade ago the idea of needing them would be absurd on the face of it

Playing the game doesn’t even seem to be on the same level to me as performing a play or a piece of music. The equivalent of the script or sheet music to me is the original code so the performance is more like the code being compiled or the game running on a PlayStation.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gnossiennes posted:

actually it's called keysight now lolol

and i think you're confusing meg whitman with carly fiorina

Yeah Keysight is definitely the spinoff who has the best claim of being the real HP. They are still carrying on the original HP business. Agilent and Broadcom are close though

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
The way I understand the video game streaming rights situation from talking to people who make videos is that as far as Youtube is concerned the publisher 100% owns all footage from their games and the whole streaming/LPing ecosystem only exists because they allow it to (it's not worth the backlash to shut down what's essentially free advertising).

They (YT) do make exceptions for fair use but it isn't the wide ranging redditor interpretation where screaming rape jokes over minecraft gameplay qualifies as a transformative work, it's more when you have a real video essay using some snippets of footage or something (Super Bunnyhop went through this when he was mean to Konami and they pettily claimed his video, which he actually challenged succesfully).

But also lol way to score yet another own goal for the Stadia team.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You gotta feel special if you're one of the 25 Stadia users left he's pissing off

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I just don't get the reasoning behind that at all.
I bought a product, I can do what I want with it, including showing it to other people.

Drum Workshop wouldn't sue me for playing their drums on a youtube channel, and I sure as poo poo wouldn't pay them so I could.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they’re afraid if they don’t assert their copyright claims now they won’t be able later when it matters? That’s a bullshit reason, but I can’t think of anything else.

It’s like Quibi not giving viewers any way to share screenshots or gifs from their shows...like have they seen the internet in the last 5 years?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Copyrights last for a fixed term and then expire. Trademarks are the ones that only hold while the company defends them.

But realistically, what's happening is that companies see a way they could be making more money now and aren't thinking about how ignoring that will lead to bigger long-term gains.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Copyrights last for a fixed term and then expire. Trademarks are the ones that only hold while the company defends them.

But realistically, what's happening is that companies see a way they could be making more money now and aren't thinking about how ignoring that will lead to bigger long-term gains.

I think it’s more that one specific dipshit that’s inflating his position at a rapidly failing service is thinking about how he could be making more money now and ignoring long term gains.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1319367395723649024?s=21

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dumb Guy does make a good point about all the LP/Tuber poo poo being a gentleman's agreement basically. It just takes Nintendo/EA going "hey we're debuting a Creator tier $5 to stream any of our games" for the rest of the companies to go all in

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/CTVMontreal/status/1319629660297179136?s=20

Oh no a nostalgic Canadian retailer that nobody has shopped at in 15 years is closing!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Dumb Guy does make a good point about all the LP/Tuber poo poo being a gentleman's agreement basically. It just takes Nintendo/EA going "hey we're debuting a Creator tier $5 to stream any of our games" for the rest of the companies to go all in

Didn't Nintendo already try that before and it was a complete hash?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s like Quibi not giving viewers any way to share screenshots or gifs from their shows...like have they seen the internet in the last 5 years?

the weird thing is netflix does this too

go try and screencap something on netflix and you'll get an unpleasant surprise

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Wafer posted:

this was incredibly galaxy-brained, I just love it. an explicitly anti-virality play in 2020

I spend way too much time online, have a short attention span, am willing to pay a few bucks to try something out that might be fun, and am permanently connected to one or more screens. I’m the ideal prospective customer and all I know about Quibi is that Anna Kendrick plays a sex doll or something. I couldn’t even tell you what their logo looks like. Just a stunning own goal.

ultrafilter posted:

I mean, in theory they expire, but I don’t see no public domain Steamboat Willy mashups.

There’s a trademark-adjacent issue here that we might see come up, which is that a publisher might decide that they don’t want their game associated with a certain streamer because of their behaviour. Imagine Nintendo’s reaction to someone streaming nude Animal Crossing on OnlyFans, for example,. That could be the opening shot in publishers asserting control over performance rights. Then maybe a counter-trend of marketing based on “steamer-friendly” licenses, and finally a fragmenting of Twitch into per-publisher services like we see happening in movies/TV.

ah, to dream

ninja: I stand by “steamer”

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the weird thing is netflix does this too

go try and screencap something on netflix and you'll get an unpleasant surprise

And yet somehow you can find a plethora of Witcher gifs the day after the show premieres.

So what you’re saying is life...um, finds a way unless your context largely sucks like Quibi’s?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Subjunctive posted:

There’s a trademark-adjacent issue here that we might see come up, which is that a publisher might decide that they don’t want their game associated with a certain streamer because of their behaviour.

This is currently going on with the VirtualYoutubers. One of them is straight up not allowed to stream ArkKnights on their "work" streams anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I mean, in theory they expire, but I don’t see no public domain Steamboat Willy mashups.

Steamboat Willie enters the public domain on January 1st, 2024.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

and i think you're confusing meg whitman with carly fiorina

Fiorina was in charge when real-HP split off printers-HP, but it wasn't her decision. Her "big idea" was buying PwC (failed) and Compaq (succeeded) - you can argue that she got rid of the "spirit of HP" and turned it into just a printers-n-services company, but Whitman ruined even that bit. Fiorina was a "controversial" CEO, everyone thinks that Whiman was just loving awful both in the short and long term.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Lmao if you think it'll stay that way. It'd be far from the first time Disney gets copyright lengths pushed back farther.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultrafilter posted:

Here’s hoping!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sighence posted:

Lmao if you think it'll stay that way. It'd be far from the first time Disney gets copyright lengths pushed back farther.

Congress had the option to extend copyright in 2018 but it didn't. A whole bunch of stuff went into the public domain in 2019. Disney's IP situation is complicated but just having this one cartoon in the public domain doesn't mean that they completely lose rights for Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse will be public domain soon—here’s what that means has a pretty good overview of the way things stand right now.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Nintendo already try that before and it was a complete hash?
Yep. Originally you had to apply to stream Nintendo games and hand over 40% of the video revenue. There was obviously massive backlash, but I don't know what made them finally back off.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/28/18117166/nintendo-creator-program-ends-streaming-content-monetization-guidelines

Looks like they do still have "rules" for streaming their games though, which is more than I think anyone else does. I'm guessing these aren't really enforceable, especially not globally.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/networkservice_guideline/en/index.html

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
2024 will be a dystopian nightmare hellscape, but at least you'll be able to ease your troubled mind at a massage parlor called "Mickey's Jack Shack"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

And yet somehow you can find a plethora of Witcher gifs the day after the show premieres.

So what you’re saying is life...um, finds a way unless your context largely sucks like Quibi’s?
It's not like they can do anything about desktop users pressing print screen or using capture tools. It's just mobile apps that can disable the screenshot button.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Haifisch posted:

It's not like they can do anything about desktop users pressing print screen or using capture tools. It's just mobile apps that can disable the screenshot button.

nope, you actually can't print screen netflix on desktop, and afaik the same fuckery happens if you try to use OBS

to get screenshots of netflix stuff you have to :filez: it now, afaik. if you try to screenshot within the browser it replaces the video with a black screen in the screenshot

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

nope, you actually can't print screen netflix on desktop, and afaik the same fuckery happens if you try to use OBS

to get screenshots of netflix stuff you have to :filez: it now, afaik. if you try to screenshot within the browser it replaces the video with a black screen in the screenshot

what happens if it's running in a VM and you screenshot that?

like, at some point pixels have to hit a drat screen

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

divabot posted:

There's always ways to capture what's on the screen, you may just need to use a third-party screencap app that uses a different method than the default Windows screen capture.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Fuckin bizarre that you can't print screen considering how easy it is to record poo poo with a 3rd party program. What, are they afraid someone is going to copy a show frame by frame and publish a flipbook of it??

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I literally just opened Netflix and took a screencap and copied it to paint. Worked just fine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Firefox lets you screen capture DRM content for some reason.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe it's cause of the firefox thing. I was just able to print screen and snip tool on netflix just now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Homeboy probably uses Edge

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
chrome, actually, which makes this even weirder because i'm pretty sure firefox and chrome use the same backend nowadays

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I just used the Microsoft Snipping Tool to screencap Netflix on Firefox. Print Screen and pasting into Paint works too. Too lazy to try in Chrome.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

chrome, actually, which makes this even weirder because i'm pretty sure firefox and chrome use the same backend nowadays

no, they do not

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

2024 will be a dystopian nightmare hellscape, but at least you'll be able to ease your troubled mind at a massage parlor called "Mickey's Jack Shack"

Trademarks are forever.

You can copy “Steamboat Willie” itself. Anything creative with the Mickey character is still forbidden.

divabot posted:

If they were serious, Netflix would refuse to run in a VM because it doesn’t have a functional HDCP chain.

The pixels do have to interface with our analogue eyes, but the point at which decryption happens can be within the monitor and difficult to work with.

It’s still ultimately doomed to failure because only one group of pirates has to break it and it’s free for everyone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Firefox is the only browser of any significance whose backend is not related to Chrome’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Firefox is the only browser of any significance whose backend is not related to Chrome’s.

Isn’t Safari different? At one point both Safari and Chrome used webkit, but then Chrome forked into its own direction.

But yeah, it’s Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. Even Microsoft uses the same fundamentals as Chrome now I think.