Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Can't remember if it's been mentioned recently but another little tip for unique grinding is that 1- and 2-skull contracts for destroying a location will overwrite the location's loot and replace it; while 3-skull contracts do not. Only 3-skull contracts will give you a shot at a unique. If you're skilled enough at the metagame, you can avoid taking contracts early that will overwrite loot, since starting locations roll their chance for having a unique at map generation

I may have fudged some of the details here from bad memory but I believe the gist of that is still true post-DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The Lord Bude posted:

Anyone have a good cultist seed they want to share?

New page I would also like this.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

This page lets you search for a seed via all sorts of criteria and weight them all individually, eg it gave me a gladiator seed where all three bros have iron lungs (it's otherwise kind of horrible though)

https://wlirareddit.github.io/bb_calculator/seed_search.html

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wafflecopper posted:

This page lets you search for a seed via all sorts of criteria and weight them all individually, eg it gave me a gladiator seed where all three bros have iron lungs (it's otherwise kind of horrible though)

https://wlirareddit.github.io/bb_calculator/seed_search.html

It’s bugged for cultists though.

Edit:

settled on LHHOGAOEFH for my cultist run. 3/4 starting cultists are very good; there's a big swamp city; and the map is pretty good - Big trade city up north is a port, and 2 out of 3 of the city states are also ports.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 24, 2020

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
What’s notable about swamp cities?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

8 Ball posted:

Cultists, witchunters and delicious mushrooms spawn there frequently.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

8 Ball posted:

That’s where cultists are available for recruitment. I believe they won’t spawn elsewhere unless you’re playing as cultists yourself in which case there is a small chance of them spawning everywhere.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The master mod has finally given me the brother I am looking for.

A Master Cripple.

This brother has

50 hp
100 fat ***
45 res **
52 att ***
42 r att
5 mdef ***
5 rdef

Hate for beasts
Brave
Master (5 ini)
And always content with being in reserve.

Is he great for an end game company? No.

But he makes me giggle and I have a soft spot for cripples.

Also I wholeheartedly recommend the Master Mod.

It's like finding a legendary brother and the odds are very, very low. The better background the higher the odds. For example hedge knights are like 1 in 30 while the cripple is 1 in 94, so it isn't overpowered imo.

In my game this is the 4th master I've found and im on day 488.

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID
Unsure how long this event has been in the game (since B&E or WotN?), but I just had a pack of dire wolves terrorizing a town actually be a band of brigands in armor with dire wolf attachments.

It's cool how even 500 hours into the game I'm still experiencing new content.

Have to say though, Expert economy difficulty coupled with the Beast Slayers origin is miserable for making money. I'm at day 70 or so and I still can't keep more than 5k on me at any given time.

Edit:

The Lord Bude posted:

In that specific form it's been around since armour attachments were introduced in Beasts and exploration; but in the vanilla game there used to be 2 armours called direwolf mail and direwolf leather that had the same enemy resolve effect as the attachments and also higher than normal durability for the fatigue cost - they were pretty good and well sought after since if you found a bunch of them you were set up for the midgame. The only way to get them though was to wait for a random event where a tailor created one (if you had direwolf pelts in your inventory) or from the original form of the event you saw; where all the brigands were wearing either the leather or the mail form of the armour. When the expansion came out the event changed to brigands wearing random armours with attachments.

In vanilla you'd get people trying to get the event to happen by saving before they took a 'hunt beasts terrorising the village' and reloading until the contract spawned that particular variation.

Oh wild, I remember the tailor event from vanilla. I guess I had just never proc'd this event in any form.

Email Address fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 24, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Email Address posted:

Unsure how long this event has been in the game (since B&E or WotN?), but I just had a pack of dire wolves terrorizing a town actually be a band of brigands in armor with dire wolf attachments.

Have to say though, Expert economy difficulty coupled with the Beast Slayers origin is miserable for making money. I'm at day 70 or so and I still can't keep more than 5k on me at any given time.

In that specific form it's been around since armour attachments were introduced in Beasts and exploration; but in the vanilla game there used to be 2 armours called direwolf mail and direwolf leather that had the same enemy resolve effect as the attachments and also higher than normal durability for the fatigue cost - they were pretty good and well sought after since if you found a bunch of them you were set up for the midgame. The only way to get them though was to wait for a random event where a tailor created one (if you had direwolf pelts in your inventory) or from the original form of the event you saw; where all the brigands were wearing either the leather or the mail form of the armour. When the expansion came out the event changed to brigands wearing random armours with attachments.

In vanilla you'd get people trying to get the event to happen by saving before they took a 'hunt beasts terrorising the village' and reloading until the contract spawned that particular variation.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Email Address posted:

Edit:

Oh wild, I remember the tailor event from vanilla. I guess I had just never proc'd this event in any form.

You leaned into selling snake oil via the alchemist? It's got a flat value of 650g I think.

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID

Southpaugh posted:

You leaned into selling snake oil via the alchemist? It's got a flat value of 650g I think.

I'm a couple of crafts away from unlocking him; but that is the plan. Saving all my high-tier ingredients until after I've hired him, which has kind of slowed my roll.

Unrelated: I've run into the weirdest bout of luck where I cannot recruit a single decent potential 2hander, but every other recruit regardless of profession has 3* RATK

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hold onto anything low tier too, saliva and so on are also used. Hunting snakes and hyenas is also very profitable and once you have the front line for it ifrits are low risk if boring.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

What's the skinny on adventurous/disowned nobles and dastards? I think I never hired any of them because I was told they all introduce annoying events

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've only ever made money off nobles (jousting) and you get a free performance from travelling minstrels, but Ive never hired a dastard. Oh i had a disowned noble be a prick once but it just tanked his morale.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Adventurous nobles are probably one of the best backgrounds for stats, and personally I don't remember any particularly bad events from them.

I think bastards have an event where an assassin comes to kill them, but I've never seen it myself.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

vyelkin posted:

Adventurous nobles are probably one of the best backgrounds for stats, and personally I don't remember any particularly bad events from them.

I think bastards have an event where an assassin comes to kill them, but I've never seen it myself.

You can hire the assassin lmao. All noble backgrounds can be strong, a well rolled bastard you pick up for cheap can be late game worthy but requires a bit more luck since they're generally weak in fatigue or resove iirc and they have fairly wide roll ranges in matk and mdef.

I remember the one where a noble asks for more money if a low born makes more than them, and maybe one they fight with a lowborn? Both are pretty trivial by the time you're hiring expensive backgrounds though

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 27, 2020

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Adventurous nobles have significantly higher MAtk, slightly higher MDef and a metric buttload more resolve on average compared to regular joes. They also can roll slightly higher than average fatigue too. They can make decent frontliners, amazing sergeants and probably would fit nicely into a well-to-do company built around using fearsome and high resolve. The only issue is they can roll well into the negatives on RDef, which isn't a huge deal but can make them the guy who gets singled out by crossbowmen and goblins, similar to wildmen.

Bastards are less attractive, they can roll negative MDef which is basically a dealbreaker for me. They have slightly boost MAtk but less so than Adv. Nobles. In addition, they will have slightly below average resolve at best and can veer into Deserter ranges of resolve which is a pisser too. All in all, I don't find them worth the money.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
They'll sometimes have morale fights with the various lowborn, but that's fine, you can just ply one or the other with booze and they'll forget it all fairly quickly. The "noble requests a raise" event is incredibly rare, because how many non-noble backgrounds are there which might get that high of a salary? Are Raiders considered lowborn? Like... Raiders and Assassins, I guess? Anything else, their day 1 salary should be higher than the other background's salary, even if they're quite a few levels lower.

In the wild, I've never found an advanced background that's worth the higher price tag, but I've seen some absolute monsters posted in this/other threads, so I know that the theoretical "Guy who is actually worth four times the pay" exists, but I have never actually gotten one that has panned out. Usually there's some crippling flaw that just makes them worse, such as the aforementioned Rdef.

I've been having a lot of luck lately with the lower mid-tier of backgrounds, though. Caravan hands, militia, lumberjacks, farmers, squires, etc. I've mentioned before that I like to play scratch-off lottery with really, really bad backgrounds, and also am willing to invest in tryouts on just about any background to fish for interesting traits, but on the whole, there's the sweet spot of "Guys who initially ask between 9 and 15 gold a day" that seems to be solidly better than most backgrounds, and not appreciably worse than the expensive ones.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've got to admit I almost never notice the actual cost per day on anyone. I know it's significant and you'll feel it occasionally in something like the Gladiators game, but otherwise it's kind of nuts to me how much it seems to be a consideration when it's not that hard to keep your head above water.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's something to that, too. I imagine once you're rolling into multi-crisis territory, your contracts are high enough where it stops mattering, and I seem to have hit that point. I've went from "Grinding out a living to make sure my company is afloat if I have to travel to the other side of the world for whatever reason" to "Huh. I have 30,000 gold" very suddenly and I'm not sure where it happened. At some point, your contracts will just overtake these considerations, but usually I see the first crisis first.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ixtlilton posted:

I remember the one where a noble asks for more money if a low born makes more than them, and maybe one they fight with a lowborn? Both are pretty trivial by the time you're hiring expensive backgrounds though

I had an event where the noble demanded to get first dibs on food or something because he's better than the lowborn trash and I told him to get hosed and he got sad. I don't think they get really bad events like Hedge Knights can, though.

I've had good luck with adventurous nobles - they're like sellswords or nomads but have better fatigue and waaay better resolve iirc. The downside is their RDEF is abysmal, which doesn't matter too much outside of big raider/nomad/goblin camps which can get pretty sketchy, admittedly. They also have a high daily wage but I've never considered that as a limiting factor since I play on easy economy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I find low RDef gets people in big trouble because the AI will *all* shoot at the single low Rdef guy and the entire reason ranged/pikes/whatever weapons are so dangerous is because they make it easier to focus down single targets.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Veryslightlymad posted:

They'll sometimes have morale fights with the various lowborn, but that's fine, you can just ply one or the other with booze and they'll forget it all fairly quickly. The "noble requests a raise" event is incredibly rare, because how many non-noble backgrounds are there which might get that high of a salary? Are Raiders considered lowborn? Like... Raiders and Assassins, I guess? Anything else, their day 1 salary should be higher than the other background's salary, even if they're quite a few levels lower.

In the wild, I've never found an advanced background that's worth the higher price tag, but I've seen some absolute monsters posted in this/other threads, so I know that the theoretical "Guy who is actually worth four times the pay" exists, but I have never actually gotten one that has panned out. Usually there's some crippling flaw that just makes them worse, such as the aforementioned Rdef.

I've been having a lot of luck lately with the lower mid-tier of backgrounds, though. Caravan hands, militia, lumberjacks, farmers, squires, etc. I've mentioned before that I like to play scratch-off lottery with really, really bad backgrounds, and also am willing to invest in tryouts on just about any background to fish for interesting traits, but on the whole, there's the sweet spot of "Guys who initially ask between 9 and 15 gold a day" that seems to be solidly better than most backgrounds, and not appreciably worse than the expensive ones.

I'm on day 20 of an expert run with poachers and all my keepers so far have been caravan hands, militia, brawlers, and a singular manhunter so this checks out. Adventurous nobles are the dudes you savescum to check if they're 2-hander material or gonna hit 100+ attack for a fearsome polearmsman. I can't think of a time I've had the money to hire one to be my bannerman or replaced a bannerman.

The draw of bastards is that you can absolutely pick them up for 800-1500 and their 52-67 and -5-10 attack and defense rolls can give some beastly dudes. They're basically nomad-tier but a bit cheaper, can have really good rolls on essential stats but probably will need a couple others shored up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bastards will generally have really bad resolve; but that is easier to correct now with the arena.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've been having a lot of luck lately with the lower mid-tier of backgrounds, though. Caravan hands, militia, lumberjacks, farmers, squires, etc.

Probably old news to the thread at this point but bears repeating this is pretty much objectively the best tier of brothers to hire from. Lowborn backgrounds with modifiers to the right stats can be accessed from Day 1 and, if rolled well, can generate late-game capable brothers. On top of the ones you listed I would humbly add brawlers (probably #1 best recruit in terms of cost:potential), butchers, messengers, thieves and squires. If I had a choice, I would only hire brawlers, militiamen, thieves and squires but RNG has other plans. If you have the DLC, manhunters and nomads have pretty good rolls too.

High-born/expensive backgrounds are definitely a luxury and the reality is that an average hedge knight is probably only 10-15% better than a great brawler but 10x more expensive. You should only be keeping expensive backgrounds when they have the rolls and stars to go with too. That being said, if you find one of these guys, the cumulative difference in stats can end up being worth 10+ level worth. There's a huge gap between starting with 54 MAtk and 64 MAtk - same with 2 MDef versus 13.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's worth noting that a lot of the southern backgrounds are virtually identical to an analogous northerner, although presumably with different events and a few minor stat differences. Gladiator = Sellsword, Nomad = Raider, and Manhunter = Militia.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Manhunter = Militia.

manhunters and militia play super differently though

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
We're talking brother backgrounds, not company origins

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I know indebted can't be converted into cultists but can they be chosen in the sacrifice event? I've been keeping a random level 1 beggar/cripple/refugee naked in my reserves to use for the sacrifice but if I can use indebted that would be cheaper.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thx for the info, everyone. I'll broaden my recruitment and will roll on a noble or two when I see them

rideANDxORdie posted:

the cumulative difference in stats can end up being worth 10+ level worth. There's a huge gap between starting with 54 MAtk and 64 MAtk - same with 2 MDef versus 13.
That's really the main reason for picking up expensive backgrounds. I too will continue to roll on farmhands and brawlers(ftw) and such in the late-game but the higher base stats of certain backgrounds just flat out turn into a better package than a weak background with above average stars. Like you usually have to dump more extra rolls than you would like into res/health to get them up to par which gimps their overall stats in the end.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just picked this up on the Steam sale, sorry I waited so long to try it out. It's such a great mix of M&B, Darkest Dungeon, and XCOM. Haven't had a game keep me up until 2am in a long time.

If anyone is on the fence you should definitely buy it.

edit - current status: i loving hate this game

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 1, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just picked this up on the Steam sale, sorry I waited so long to try it out. It's such a great mix of M&B, Darkest Dungeon, and XCOM. Haven't had a game keep me up until 2am in a long time.

If anyone is on the fence you should definitely buy it.

That's it, you've understood the game now :v:

In other news. Finally got around to looking up that there sand library. Damned that is a gnarly fight. Had to replay a few times before i found a strategy that did not lose me someone. And this is a band of bro's that handled the monolith with no injuries on the first try. Still working on the gathering quests for the Kraken and I still haven't found the witches hut. Or the Goblin city. I did one goblin city with a few shamans in it, but I remember the proper one being far more of a bother.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Just started playing and I’m just hiring the cheapest guys and giving them spears and shields and cheap armor. Is this dumb?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Eason the Fifth posted:

this is normal

dkj posted:

Just started playing and I’m just hiring the cheapest guys and giving them spears and shields and cheap armor. Is this dumb?

Nope! That's the basic premise of the very early game. lovely bros fed to the meat grinder until you can ramp up to better gear and character backgrounds. Once you get some money look for thieves, militia, caravan hands, and squires and prioritize good starting stats/stars in MATK and MDEF. Also look for poachers for early game archers and hunters later on when you can afford them. Do you know about knifing people to get their armor? Super important in the early game.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yes. I cannot play this game in long bouts because missing 6 out of 7 attacks at ~80% chance to hit in a row on the same enemy gets extremely frustrating. The enemy ofcourse will hit the same guy 4 times in a row where they have <20% chance to hit.

I think the worst mechanic in the game, besides the terrain generation, is the ranged attack scatter nonsense. Also chosen have absolutely stupid stats.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jinx posted:

Also chosen have absolutely stupid stats.

This is the one thing I hate about the game and it's probably 50% because the developers said they'd have a clear weakness in the form of fatiguing themselves. Like "enemy that can shatter your front line but if you can weather their attacks for a couple turns they're just so tired they can barely do anything" sounds like a fun concept, orcs but more extreme on both the strengths and weaknesses. And then in execution they just regenerate stamina like twice as fast as your dudes for no apparent reason.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

lovely bros fed to the meat grinder until you can ramp up to better gear and character backgrounds.

I will add on to this that generally you want to avoid bro deaths as much as you can and the "feed bros to the meat grinder" sentiment, ideally, means that you're playing in a way that if a bro has to die it's gonna be a lovely one so your decent boys can level up and grow big and strong.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Yep, a concept we talked about a while ago is tagging which bros are "keepers" and which ones are "fodder" for early game. Keepers generally get bows or polearms and fodder goes in the front line.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Jinx posted:

Yes. I cannot play this game in long bouts because missing 6 out of 7 attacks at ~80% chance to hit in a row on the same enemy gets extremely frustrating. The enemy ofcourse will hit the same guy 4 times in a row where they have <20% chance to hit.

I've played enough RNG-based tactical games to know its just statistics but it always feels like the game is cheating and its maddening sometimes.

Count Uvula posted:

I will add on to this that generally you want to avoid bro deaths as much as you can and the "feed bros to the meat grinder" sentiment, ideally, means that you're playing in a way that if a bro has to die it's gonna be a lovely one so your decent boys can level up and grow big and strong.

Well, yeah, this is a less flippant way of looking at it. Characters will definitely die, especially early on, and its helpful to use those deaths for a purpose like protecting your decent characters by locking up enemies. Shields and spears and lovely armor works just fine for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

this is normal

Nope! That's the basic premise of the very early game. lovely bros fed to the meat grinder until you can ramp up to better gear and character backgrounds. Once you get some money look for thieves, militia, caravan hands, and squires and prioritize good starting stats/stars in MATK and MDEF. Also look for poachers for early game archers and hunters later on when you can afford them. Do you know about knifing people to get their armor? Super important in the early game.

No, I’m barely surviving most fights with spears and a couple ranged