Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also the subforum disappears if you look directly at it

Imagining a world where EVERY post is "turn on your monitor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Keep the DOTA name, signed me the OP of the pro dota thread

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Keep the DOTA name, signed me the OP of the pro dota thread

You can have dota on one condition. The sticky thread titles get the name swap too.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Great Games Yellow Brick Road Pages update:

D&D mod Main Paineframe did some sort of code touching (I have no idea, this is well beyond my knowledge) and gave me a giant list of thread names and URLs and I'll look into getting it into a usable list and posted up at some point in the near future.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Your dark task.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Great Games Yellow Brick Road Pages update:

D&D mod Main Paineframe did some sort of code touching (I have no idea, this is well beyond my knowledge) and gave me a giant list of thread names and URLs and I'll look into getting it into a usable list and posted up at some point in the near future.

At least when you go insane, we'll know why.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Kheldarn posted:

At least when you go insane, we'll know why.

The list is 3000 lines long. It goes back to 2014.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Forget megathreads, the future is in megalists

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

One thing I don't like is when I'm trying to check out a new thing, but the megathread hasn't been updated in years. I honestly don't know how much of a problem this is in Games at this moment because I don't do much browsing for new things outside of the PS4/Switch mega threads ) that I'm caught up on). But I at least know that it's happened in the part where I've wanted to get info about a game or system that I'm considering, and the OP is years out of date and useless for actually finding out information.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you want static compiled information this website is probably not your best bet. The advantage we offer over things like wikis or whatever when it comes to video game information is that it's a place for live conversations

That's not to say that I don't sometimes feel the same annoyance at an out-of-date OP but the source of that problem is that good OPs are a pain in the rear end to write and to update, and often want updating for years--plausibly far longer than the person who wrote it cares about the thread.

Ultimately I'm not sure there's anything we can really do about it, and even if there was, I don't really see a big use case for these elaborate OPs compared to other more specialized website. I'm open to being convinced on either of those points though! This is just my opinion, and this is explicitly a place where you can suggest changes to the status quo of the forum.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm curious how many people actually read pages 1-999 when a thread is 1000 pages long. Are those posts serving a purpose that wouldn't be served equally well in the archives?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm curious how many people actually read pages 1-999 when a thread is 1000 pages long. Are those posts serving a purpose that wouldn't be served equally well in the archives?

Probably not, but are they hurting anyone?

This one does have an actual solution, if it's really a problem: lock and replace threads after either a certain amount of time or a certain number of posts. Personally I don't think it's really a problem that needs solving, but again, this is a place for suggestions, and I'm open to being convinced.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I've got a couple complaints without solutions for ya.

Games is not a forum that's good for sifting through for new poo poo because of all the megathreads. The only times I find new stuff in games is because I hear about a game from somewhere else on the forum/internet and then go looking for it. And I guess now because things are changing and I wondered what new stickies we'd get. Some way of being able to actually catch the new stuff would be nice. Like a way to filter out old threads or a list of new/trending threads or whatever.

And for super old megathreads it's annoying to go fishing for the latest version of a game. It's especially annoying when the thread started on announcement, existed through early access, and is now well into release. Those kinda threads could really use some kind of timestamps to make them easier to get into.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

That's not to say that I don't sometimes feel the same annoyance at an out-of-date OP but the source of that problem is that good OPs are a pain in the rear end to write and to update, and often want updating for years--plausibly far longer than the person who wrote it cares about the thread.

Ultimately I'm not sure there's anything we can really do about it, and even if there was, I don't really see a big use case for these elaborate OPs compared to other more specialized website. I'm open to being convinced on either of those points though! This is just my opinion, and this is explicitly a place where you can suggest changes to the status quo of the forum.

Phigs posted:

And for super old megathreads it's annoying to go fishing for the latest version of a game. It's especially annoying when the thread started on announcement, existed through early access, and is now well into release. Those kinda threads could really use some kind of timestamps to make them easier to get into.

Something i'd like to see is games that stick around at least getting rebooted once if the initial OP wasn't meaning to start a 1000 page thread. a good example is the apex legends thread. the current thread (and title I think, not that its bad) is basically like "uh hey this game is out here's a tiny bit of info," as the game creeps up on 2 years old with huge popularity.

I think Huge Elaborate OPs are a barrier to posting, as much as they're incredible, and make the OP of any thread feel like they own it or the thread needs to become an info center rather than a discussion thread. I don't think they're needed for hugely popular games though like Apex Legends or Rocket League, I'm not sure anyone needs a 4 page essay on what Rocket League is or an intro to Lifeline.

It's great when an OP is clearly a labor of love, or when the OP is trying to sell people on a game, but we really dont need anything more than "Heres whats new if youre just coming back to Apex in Season 6 <link>"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Phigs posted:

Games is not a forum that's good for sifting through for new poo poo because of all the megathreads. The only times I find new stuff in games is because I hear about a game from somewhere else on the forum/internet and then go looking for it. And I guess now because things are changing and I wondered what new stickies we'd get. Some way of being able to actually catch the new stuff would be nice. Like a way to filter out old threads or a list of new/trending threads or whatever.

There's the new releases thread. It's pretty nonspecific but a lot of stuff does get mentioned there.

cheetah7071 posted:

This one does have an actual solution, if it's really a problem: lock and replace threads after either a certain amount of time or a certain number of posts. Personally I don't think it's really a problem that needs solving, but again, this is a place for suggestions, and I'm open to being convinced.

Phigs posted:

There is something to be said for starting new threads when a game is released or when there are major updates. I'm not sure how strongly I feel about it, but it's worth discussing.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm tellin' ya, just add an OP-out-of-date button.

Or maybe a stickied thread listing out-of-date-OPs.

Just don't let the OP on that one get out-of-date.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah honestly I mostly just want Games in its current form entombed in lucite and kept perfect forever

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Phigs posted:

I have two options for you on this one.

1) Using RSS, get a notification from this feed whenever there's a new entry.

2) When you're on the main page of Games, click on the words Title (Pages). This will sort the list of threads by Newest First.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phigs posted:

I've got a couple complaints without solutions for ya.

I believe adding threads to an ignore list is on the global site to-do list, but it's fairly far down compared to other things.

ultrafilter posted:

There is something to be said for starting new threads when a game is released or when there are major updates. I'm not sure how strongly I feel about it, but it's worth discussing.

This is already done for some game--ffxiv gets a new thread each expansion, for example. More broadly, we don't really want to dictate circumstances where people have to start a new thread but you can feel free to :justpost: when a major content update comes out. This is one of the rare circumstances where I'd say a big effortful OP should probably exist, because the new thread should offer something the old thread didn't--otherwise, why migrate? But if you do make a new thread and people do seem to be migrating, go ahead and contact a mod via PM or report and we can lock the old one to minimize confusion.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Phigs posted:

[...] And for super old megathreads it's annoying to go fishing for the latest version of a game. It's especially annoying when the thread started on announcement, existed through early access, and is now well into release. Those kinda threads could really use some kind of timestamps to make them easier to get into.

I love it! I just skip to the last few pages of a megathread and start reading from there, but timestamps would be a gamechanger.

Imagine them as chapters with their own titles. Give the mods and the original poster the ability to insert them into threads, and combine them all into an index like the page list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That is a really cool idea, and could probably stand to be brought up in the QCS thread for technical suggestions.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Yeah, that's a super neat idea that would definitely require some sort of code touching probably. I'd wander down over the QCS and talk about it with Jeff & Astral in the tech suggestions thread.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm tellin' ya, just add an OP-out-of-date button.

Or maybe a stickied thread listing out-of-date-OPs.

Just don't let the OP on that one get out-of-date.

You can use the report button and just put a message in there if you want to get the mods attention. They don't always have to be for bad things sometimes people even report funny posts and all the mods that see it get to have a chuckle. Stuff like thread title change requests when people make a funny post for example.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I lurk in a few threads for games I play and it’s mostly okay, however it’d be nice if the first page wasn’t always mega threads and there were chances for more topical discussions that aren’t a fast moving chat thread.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What about a subforum for non-megathreads? I love SA, love games, but I'm never in Games because the mega threads are very overwhelming. I think this is the best community on the internet that talks about video games but god, I hate megathreads. Everything I bookmarked here has like 1000 unread posts. I want to see gaming news discussed without having to dig through a 5000 post mega thread for it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

some bust on that guy posted:

What about a subforum for non-megathreads? I love SA, love games, but I'm never in Games because the mega threads are very overwhelming. I think this is the best community on the internet that talks about video games but god, I hate megathreads. Everything I bookmarked here has like 1000 unread posts. I want to see gaming news discussed without having to dig through a 5000 post mega thread for it.

That sort of already exists in the Imp Zone. They have a very different posting culture over there than here in Games though. Were you unaware of it, or were you specifically hoping for Games-style posting in smaller threads?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot Imp Zone exists

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
How’s imp zone these days.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

This is an incredibly pointless complaint, but it's always kind of bugged me that all the other entertainment medium subforums are under The Finer Arts header, but Games isn't. I'd like to think we've moved past the point where anyone has any serious objections to the idea that games can be art. I was reminded of this because Imp Zone did get put under TFA when it stopped being a sub of Games for whatever reason.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'd rather it stays here because Games was first and belongs near the top of the list given its popularity and also I dread change of any sort. Honestly, I originally thought the Finer Arts section was for CREATORS of those things, not fans, but I guess that changed at some point.

Imp Zone should be shoved back under Games, if anything.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 27, 2020

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Talk is cheap. Games needs less talking and more content but I don't know how mods make that happen.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I know one thing I want to try and figure out and encourage is more community-based events, especially of older multiplayer games that might be hard to otherwise play in general. I'm not sure how to do that but would love some ideas.

Also this. Extremely this. ICR does a great job getting people together that goons do absolutely nothing with on larger scales than 'who wants to play with me right now'. A mod doing it would kickstart that poo poo lickety split.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

Talk is cheap. Games needs less talking and more content but I don't know how mods make that happen.

What exactly does this mean? Forums are for talking, almost by definition, and I'm a little confused what you picture as your desired state, even setting aside getting there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

some bust on that guy posted:

A subforum would be worse than just having random "non-megathread" threads posted in the main forum.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if anything, make a megathread-only subforum

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

why did you rename the MMO forum

bring back PISS

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Radio Free Kobold posted:

why did you rename the MMO forum

bring back PISS

It was renamed to PISS before I was a mod but the decision to change it back was just an admin thinking that PISS was a temporary change and reverting it as the joke had played its course

Commas in a subforum name are also kind of annoying in the subforum list because it makes it hard to tell how many subforums there are at a glance

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I mostly have posting anxiety about asking a question and being told, “That was posted and answered on page 369. Read the thread!” And I’m not going to sift through 1000 pages for a game before posting, so I just end up not posting at all.

Yes I have brain worms.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chasiubao posted:

I mostly have posting anxiety about asking a question and being told, “That was posted and answered on page 369. Read the thread!” And I’m not going to sift through 1000 pages for a game before posting, so I just end up not posting at all.

Yes I have brain worms.

It probably depends on the thread; in the threads I frequent (mostly management games: Rimworld, ONI, that sort of thing) everybody's consistently been patient and friendly with noob questions. No gatekeeping that I've seen.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah unless the answer to your question was posted on the last page of the thread, people are unlikely to give you poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah no one in Games gives a poo poo.